Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Photo

[News] Eisenberg: Crazy To Think Ray Rice At Risk

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Tough decisions lie ahead, but tinkering at running back isn't one of them.

View the full article

#2 Bill Mueller

Bill Mueller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Word.

#3 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

"I've heard and seen some conclude that running back Ray Rice could be vulnerable"

I have only seen that from a handful of people on these boards, who get overly excited about a couple nice performances by a rookie and forget how critical a guy like Rice is to the team. Never mind their complete lack of understanding as to how the cap works. I've not heard that sentiment from anyone of any repute.

I'm as hopeful as anyone that Pierce turns into an awesome RB. I also understand some who are starting to show signs of concern that Ray's contract may bite us in a couple years (which remains to be seen). But those who have been commenting as if we should just kick Rice to the curb are way out of touch.

Edited by balfan23, 16 February 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#4 GCTheReign

GCTheReign

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thank you! This has been bothering me all week. It's true what you said, but in addition Pierce was often overlooked by the defense when he was on the field. And of course VONTA leading the way helps, especially with a downhill runner like Pierce. Don't get me wrong I think the two have the potential to be the best duo in the league next year but one without the other two at this point is definitely a huge drop off.

#5 GCTheReign

GCTheReign

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

in conclusion...don't cut vonta, dude's a raven for life

#6 Ravenade

Ravenade

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

There's a lot of assetts we have going forward.I hope Osemele and Gradkowski don't have sophemore slumps because if they don't our offensive line only needs a left tackle, a fullback, and a blocking tight end. All of which we might lose through free agency. Bryant McKinnie, Vontae Leach, and Ed Dickson. We have Torrey Smith and I know this sounds weird to put Jones before Boldin but we won't let a good #3 Receiver / explosive kick returner go. Too valuable, even if it is a lot of $. Restructure Boldin! Restructure Boldin! Let him retire a Raven! I don't like it when people say that Tandon Doss is his replacement...Tandon Doss is NOT Q's replacement! Restructure Leach too. He's not just a fullback, he's an extra lineman. He can run, catch, block and he's a leader. The defense needs to be rebuilt so I won't address it but our offense is what's keeping us alive, let's not tear it apart.

What I'm saying is I'm glad we have our two backs...I just want the fullback and the passing game to survive as well.

#7 nickinfla

nickinfla

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Every time I see or hear "Hey Diddle Diddle" it takes me back to the 70's when the phrase was "Hey Diddle Diddle Mitchell Up the Middle". The Baltimore Colts had "Lydell Mitchell who established himself in the mid-1970s as one of the best all-around running backs in the NFL. Mitchell, along with teammate Bert Jones, propelled the Baltimore Colts to three consecutive AFC East Division titles, unseating a powerhouse Miami Dolphins team that had topped the division for four straight years (1971%u201374).

Mitchell topped the 1,000-yard rushing plateau in three consecutive seasons (1975%u201377) earning Pro Bowl honors each year. In addition to his rushing exploits, he twice led the NFL in pass receptions, in 1974 and 1977." (from Wikpedia)
Sure seems like lightning struck twice in the same place. Congratulations Ravens.

#8 Dumbo of Rome

Dumbo of Rome

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Crazy is the right word! Ray Rice scares every defense, they always have to keep a special eye on him - and they relax when he's on the sideline - that's helped Pierce a lot.
Boldin won't go anywhere, nor Leach, nor JJones.
We'll draft an OL and a TE - the rest all defense, unless Ozzie & C see some very special player dropping their way...

#9 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hey Eisenberg, I often don't agree with you but in this case I applaud this article for spelling out that the "Bernard Pierce Bandwagon" is driving on square tires!

Rut Roh is a known commodity,... Pierce, while effective late, is still a question mark when kit comes to a full season of punishment!

#10 towens2921

towens2921

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Rice is the top (or 2nd behind Arian Foster) All Around back in the league. Peterson may be the best runner, but Rice is by FAR the best pass-catching back in the league (everyone remember 4th & 29?) Pierce got banged up in the ONE game where he carried the full load (Cincinnati to end the season). Eisenberg is right on the money here.

#11 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Rice is the top (or 2nd behind Arian Foster) All Around back in the league. Peterson may be the best runner, but Rice is by FAR the best pass-catching back in the league (everyone remember 4th & 29?) Pierce got banged up in the ONE game where he carried the full load (Cincinnati to end the season). Eisenberg is right on the money here.

To be fair to Pierce, he was already banged up heading into that game. He got hurt in the Redskin game and missed a good deal of practice, but the guy toughed it out and came up huge in games.

BP had injury concerns coming out of Temple and much like Rice at Rutgers, he carried a huge load in college. So it's actually great that both of these guys can be relied on to carry the load. The Ravens benefit greatly from what Rice brings, but if BP can have a Willis McGahee type impact as a backup runner and goaline guy, that'll keep Rice from being run down.
Posted Image

#12 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Doubt we would have lifted the Lombardi if it were Pierce that Joe dumped that pass off to in San Diego! Only Rice could have converted that 29 yard 1st down,... Pierce is pretty much North and South!

Ray runs like a helicopter flies,... every which way in space!!!

Edited by Mystigo_Dragon, 16 February 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#13 mojoebubblegumflacco

mojoebubblegumflacco

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I just want to preface this statement by saying I am a huge ravens fan and I in no way support any other team in the nfl. With that said, running backs are a dime a dozen in the league. Almost every team has a pretty good one. Now if you can find a stud like rice, McCoy, foster, Martin, and even pierce, in the second round or even later, then why would you pay one of them the serious money they want. Especially in a salary cap world. None of these players should get big deals because you can find them every single year late in the draft. Not because they haven't earned it but because I can get almost the same production from a rookie or second year player at a fraction of the price. I know it's harsh and cold but such is the nfl. The point is, not that we should cut ray, but that we never should have resigned him in the first place. I know some will be calling for my head because of this post, but the numbers agree with me and they don't lie. Keep rice on the tag for this year and we still win and we could have kept more players and let him walk at the end of the run.

#14 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

You know it's a slow news day when Eisenberg is taking shots at people who want to ditch Ray Rice.

#15 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Theres been a revolving door at the Rb#2 position the last 3 years, so its nice to have a guy carry over for the indefinite future. Hopefully Pierce AND Rice can continue to build on their success so we can remain a well balanced team

#16 GO_Ravens

GO_Ravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

I can't wait to see the Suggs and Upshaw tandem as well as the Rice and Pierce.

#17 GO_Ravens

GO_Ravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

What about the Webb and Jimmy Smith tandem jimmy look really good in the Super Bowl hopefully he can come around. We need to get someone who can tandem with Ngata because Cody is just a big soft bear.

#18 Jfravens

Jfravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Boldin if you read this! PLEASE STAY ur the man Q let him know!

#19 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I can't believe that John would even have to write an article like this.

#20 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Ray Rice is still the best or 2nd best player on our offense. He has been the engine to our offense for the past 4 years. Rice had a good year behind a Offensive line that was reshuffled all the time, and had bad playcalling most of the year. Rice isn't going anywhere, and i still think he will be very productive for atleast 3 more years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users