Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Bernard Pierce Will Push Ray Rice For Carries

71 posts in this topic

Bernard Pierce hopes to build on an impressive rookie year, where he came on strong down the stretch.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Bernard-Pierce-Will-Push-Ray-Rice-For-Carries/3650652a-d553-4dc2-9840-67e8a08aef8e]View the full article[/url]

Im just saying that Pierce Playoffs and end of the regular season played much more better and was more effective than Ray Rice.
its going to be a battle this pre-season and training camp

Ray always fumbles in big games. He needs to seriously address that issue. Pierce is a fantastic replacement for Rice. He should be the starter.

If both can keep their egos in check this could be great for both of them. This will keep them fresher and healthier for the entire season.

It would be interesting to see Caldwell use them both at the same time every once in a while.

Now I'm in NO way advocating Tyrod for starter, but I think it would be awesome to see, at least in the preseason, Taylor running the option with Rice and Pierce in the backfield. That's just so much dangerous running potential right there. Just a fun little wrinkle to bring out now and again.

I find it funny that we talk about Pierce as a starter when he can't even stay on the field as a back up. Both of these guys need each other. We saw it in the SB, he takes 2 hits and is clearly shook. Wish we could combine them...

Pierce's hard-nosed running style was a perfect complement to the shifty Rice, giving the Ravens a true one-two punch out of the backfield.

"We are building a bully and he exemplifies that with his play and his attitude," Montgomery said. "He's a quiet guy, but he's still a fun guy, and I think his teammates really love him. They know when he's on the field that he's going to make something happen."

^ after winning a Superbowl (the ultimate prize) EVERYONE on the team should be happy with their roles on the squad. let's just keep working together for one common goal....winning the next Superbowl....back 2 back Champions! to do that...we can't be selfish!

^Mili

I like the comment that was made by someone although i forget who, he said "Bernard Pierce is a poor mans Adrian Peterson", no he didnt say hes as good as Adrian Peterson (yet from what i think), but i hope we can lock him up until Rice retires!

Now thats the kind of attitude I want to see! He had a great season and I am thrilled to see him even more improved next season.

Thank God they started running him up the middle.

Nothing wrong with having 2 backs. That's what gives them both a better shot at staying healthy.

[quote name='YYZ66' timestamp='1360958263' post='1358708']
It would be interesting to see Caldwell use them both at the same time every once in a while.
[/quote]

He already has. I for at least once in the SB for sure and I think another time in the AFCCG as well.

On the SB play, they lined up in the backfield together, Flacco motioned Rice out to the slot. It looked like Joe didn't get the look he wanted or did, but he checked into a run with Peirce

IMO Pierce showed enough to warrant a starting job and there's plenty of teams that need a real good running back and the ravens have some holes that need to be filled on defense weather they get a veteran or a draft pick to fill em I think they should move Pierce while his stock is soaring

They have different running styles, which makes it more difficult for defenses to stop them. Ever notice how when one of them isn't running well, the other one is. Glad to have them both on our roster.

I said last year that the Ravens had the potential to be the most explosively balanced offense in the NFL, they just needed a OC who realized it and gameplanned for it. Well I think Caldwell is that OC.

Rice and Peirce are already one of the top RB duo's in the NFL. Imo they both bring something different, but compliment the offense so well. Either guy can take over a game and with the passing offense clicking, running lanes will be much larger.

I do have my concerns about Ray Rice. I just don't like how much he talks about making sure he's healthy for the whole season and being happy he gets enough rest. Sounds like a vet who is saving himself, not a guy going into year 6. Ray doesn't play with the same type of fearlessness as he did a couple years ago. I remember in 2010, he'd be so tough to tackle because he put that 3rd wheel in the ground and keep rolling. His balance was crazy, but now it seems like he gets tripped up way too easy.

I still love the way he plays, but it does seem like somethings different with him.

I'm not too concerned about Ray. Particularly in the beginning of the season, he'd give guys a good shot with his shoulder before he went out of bounds. A lot of guys would avoid that kind of contact. So I don't really think he's saving himself. Rather, I think he saw the damage that can be done to a team when key guys get injured. We couldn't have afforded to have him injured last season. With regard to Rice, three words sum up what I think of him: "Fourth and twenth-nine". Regarding Pierce, I think he's gonna be very good, but he does benefit by being a different type of runner compared to Rice. That has to be factored in. I think it's going to be hard to keep them both happy, but I'm confident that Wilbert and Harbs can do it.

I just have one concern with Pierce, and that is his durability. The guy runs so hard that he will try to do anything to gain extra yardage. I hope next year he doesn't try to go out there to prove anything and simply play smart. Take what the defense gives him and live to see the next play.

I'll admit when the Ravens traded up to get him in the 3rd round!?! I was scratching my head... Yet another reason Ozzie and our FO get paid the big bucks!

My squeeler buddies like Pierce and said Double R. better watch out! I told them that if Double R. keep Fumbling that Rock, he will give Pierce the job! Pierce reminds me of Willis Mcgahee, and I hope he Bulks up so he can be that 3rd down back we I mean the Ravens NEED!

Pierce's quick one cut running style is amazing to watch. I've been saying it for a while now, he's a better pure runner than Ray Rice. We have a dangerous 1-2 punch at RB.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1360964682' post='1358802']
He already has. I for at least once in the SB for sure and I think another time in the AFCCG as well.

On the SB play, they lined up in the backfield together, Flacco motioned Rice out to the slot. It looked like Joe didn't get the look he wanted or did, but he checked into a run with Peirce
[/quote]

Dang, I didn't even notice.