Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ragin'Raven

Amtrak from Baltimore to D.C.

13 posts in this topic

My husband is an amazing man. ;) We're taking the Amtrak down to D.C. (on our way) tonight for dinner. That's what I love about the East Coast and trains. It's only a 40 minute ride, and it's very comfortable! Has anyone ever ridden the train from Baltimore down to D.C. before?

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1360879175' post='1357903']
My husband is an amazing man. ;) We're taking the Amtrak down to D.C. (on our way) tonight for dinner. That's what I love about the East Coast and trains. It's only a 40 minute ride, and it's very comfortable! Has anyone ever ridden the train from Baltimore down to D.C. before?
[/quote]
Several times.......

Don't ask.....

[quote name='PurpleCorsair' timestamp='1360891619' post='1358029']
MARC is cheaper, but maybe slower?
[/quote]

Not slower, depending on which route you take. Some of the MARC trains are run by Amtrak on the Amtrak lines. MARC does not run nights and weekends, though.

The train was very comfortable, and the weather cooperated for walking around D.C. a bit before we went to dinner. It beats having to drive down there and park! ;) We're going up to New York for an 'us' weekend next month when my mother can come to watch the boys for a couple days. We already said we'd take the Amtrak up to Penn Station then too. It's a couple hours instead of just 40 minutes, but it was still a very nice ride. :)

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1360978821' post='1358965']
how much did you spend on the Balt. DC run ?
[/quote]

Altogether, it was around $150 for two tickets round trip. It was more expensive going to D.C. than it was coming back to Baltimore.

OMG my last trip on the train was a trip to NYC in HS, I got food poisoning and my wallet stolen. That was a very long time ago

[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1361046612' post='1359398']
OMG my last trip on the train was a trip to NYC in HS, I got food poisoning and my wallet stolen. That was a very long time ago
[/quote]Sounds like a delightful trip.

[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1361046612' post='1359398']
[/quote]

Eek! ;) That doesn't sound very fun. I remember riding a train from Cincinnati to Denver when I was a kid. The only vivid image I have from that trip was my brother running down the aisle saying we were going to crash. He was about six or so at the time, and my parents were embarrassed. One of the workers actually told them to either quiet my brother down or be excused from the train on the next stop. :D

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1360973465' post='1358892']
The train was very comfortable, and the weather cooperated for walking around D.C. a bit before we went to dinner. It beats having to drive down there and park! ;) We're going up to New York for an 'us' weekend next month when my mother can come to watch the boys for a couple days. We already said we'd take the Amtrak up to Penn Station then too. It's a couple hours instead of just 40 minutes, but it was still a very nice ride. :)
[/quote] Wife and I take the Amtrack from BWI station to New Brunswick Conn. every year for biz. Great, relaxing ride. Seats are the same size as biz class on a plane, plus they have an a/c outlet and free wi/fi at each seat. Costs us only $40 more than the cost of gas and tolls if we drove, but cuts 1.5 hours off the trip AND you can sleep, eat, play cards, what ever. Its a no brainer.