Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Poll: Who Should Ravens Play In Season Opener?

115 posts in this topic

The Ravens will begin the season at M&T Bank Stadium on Sept. 5.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Poll-Who-Should-Ravens-Play-In-Season-Opener/a0c91c97-fee5-41c5-99db-8e97f367a947]View the full article[/url]

Well if we didn't win the SB I would bank on us playing the browns in week 1, since we have kicked the past two seasons off with the Steelers and the Bengals.

But since we did win, the reigning champs always play rime time games in the first week, and I'm pretty sure everyone would want some better competition.

Bring em all on, but my money is on the Pats. That game would have the most headlines.

Being that we played both the Hatriots and Bungles in week 1 and 3 last season they might get cancelled out..we played the Squeelers in a home opener 2 years ago so that probably cancel them out as well which leaves the Texans and the pitiful Jets. I think we will play the Jets in the home opener and leave the other games for Monday or Thursday night games.

You know who your opponents are after game 16 with the rotation of non-conference divisional matchups, rotation of conference divisional matchups, and the 2 other conference teams that finished in the same place in their division as you.

What it seemed like last season was that the league had all divisional games to open up the season. I know they had all divisional games to close the year.

And since most teams aren't ready to go in Week 1 anyway, why not play against a division opponent. Heck I think Pitt would be the best because they are going to have a brand new team...and I'm not sure if they ended up getting a new o-coordinator, but that would be a good one to quickly go 1-0 in the division. Them or Cincy, even though we started with them last year.

Steelers...... love a great game to start the season and the champs usually win exept the 00 broncos and 12 giants

I personnaly dont care who the Ravens face first but with how the team is talking about big changes to the roster I just want the Ravens to be competitive.

But if I had to choose the Texans a little bit of revenge for the thumping they gave the Ravens

[quote name='jrs034' timestamp='1360870769' post='1357774']
But if I had to choose the Texans a little bit of revenge for the thumping they gave the Ravens
[/quote]
After seeing Matt Schaub in the late stages of the season, and then in the post-season, I think the Texans are nothin but some frontrunners. They aren't ready for prime time at all.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I've always wanted the NFL to change the schedule structure to include playing each divisional foe in the first three-weeks and the last three-weeks of the season. It would make the final stretch of the season very interesting if you're looking at close records & tie-breaking scenarios.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As for us, I'd like to open things up against a divisional foe, regardless of who it is. If I had to pick one, Browns. I'd like to see how they've improved during the off-season to see if they'll be a viable threat the remainder of the season.[/i][/font]

Starting with the Bengals 2 years in a row would sound like basic protocol to me, so why not the Pats, just to make it interesting. If we go by the patterns of home openers, they would blow out the Pats seeing as how the Steelers and Bengals both got slaughtered in the home opener for the Ravens.

I would rather us face the Texans b/c we have gotten our revenge on all the other teams on that list. Steelers would obviously be nice too.

The bottom line is the Steelers got away from some much due playoff payback. Let's kick the season off and finally put a cap to our Superbowl victory by destroying the Steelers on Sep 5.

I would bet a large sum of money on it being the Patriots.

AFC title game rematch, last two SB contenders from AFC, against a newly formed rivalry, with two teams sure to draw big audiences.

I think Pats and Steelers are really about the only options they have.

I would like to see the Packers.
I know it will not happen but to host the Steelers would be nice. They could be there to see us unveal the Super Bowl Banner and enjoy looking at the big blow up Lombadri trophy in the middle of the field before the game like we had in the 2001 home opener. This would be nice so they can be there to see what the Ravens won. A little rubbing in their faces.

Mind you that a primetime season opener would be ideal to retire Ray's number and unveil his statue... so I say again, let's not pretend we don't want the Steelers and their fans to be our captive audience along with the rest of the country.

I'd like to see us ruin the beginning of New England's season just because they always seem to be in the way for a title run. Let's keep putting Brady on his back and let him know he is not the quarterback he once was.

If it's on NBC no doubt it will be the Patsies but I wouldn't mind seeing Steelers (arch rivals), Bengals (other rivals), Jets (Sexy Rexy), or the Texans (who I actually admire). I hate hearing Chris Collingsworth talk about Brady and Vince Wilfork though.

I want to see the Jets, cause I think it should be an easy win. If we outscore them in the first game we are in the rythm for more!

steelcityraven:

We don't play the 49ers in the regular season until 2015, so we won't be playing them next season.

Eagles just signed Dennis Dixon... Looks like were gonna need a new qb on our practice squad.

There are two teams that I have in my mind, The New England Patriots because of the AFC Championship the last 2 years, and our rivaly Pittsburgh Steelers.

Texans. The Broncos have learned their lesson, also the Patriots (last years AFC Championship loss). But the Texans....they need to get a power taste fron the Super Bowl Champs.

To be the best you have to beat the best so lets start with the New England Patriot, somehow the Ravens seems to attract the most difficult schedule every year. I hope that Jim Caldwell and Dan Pees get the Ravens up and running successfully because what works last season won't work this season coming and what's worst than this is I don't even know who's going to be playing on the Ravens

pats ravens = new biggest rivalry in the nfl. bigger than the steelers. we have had no huge or memorable games against them since the game of 2011. they are CLEARLY little brother to us, losing important games, not making the playoffs, finishing third in the north, goin one and done in the playoffs, and we won a bowl.. thats not a major rivalry anymore, but maybe that rivalry blows up again this year

While Ravens vs. Steelers or Patriots would be a great opener I'd rather we play the Packers. We usually have a great game to start the season so why not have it against the best NFC team we'll play all season.

really like to see brady crying again. but if water cooler gossip is correct flacco may be with the browns next year. then if that is true ravens v browns. should ravens retain flacco, which i hope, let him get tested early and shut the talking heads down (bayless)

despite what we all think and what we want we all know the pattern that is going through the afc north so the next logical choice is the cleavland browns week 1 because we have never gone against them in the beginning of the season it has always been wee 3 and beyond so if im right it should be 11' steelers 12' bengals 13' browns

Greenbay. We are familiar with Pittsburgh and NE. I wouldn't mind playing one of the best teams in the NFC. Plus the packers are Superbowl contenders.

[quote name='12thmandynasty' timestamp='1360882546' post='1357934']
Greenbay. We are familiar with Pittsburgh and NE. I wouldn't mind playing one of the best teams in the NFC. Plus the packers are Superbowl contenders.
[/quote]

No way. It's Pats or or Bengals I think. Remember that in 11 we played em cause they knocked us out the playoffs, they were relevant. Bengals made the playoffs and usually play us tough. The only way I don't see it bei g the Patriots is to save that for another primetime game, but that's who I think they play. Packers will be saved for a night game as well I think, don't usually open with interconference matches.

first of all, the steelers don't even deserve to be on the opening night game against us. it will not be the bengals, browns, jets, vikings or texans. only 2 teams i see us playing. the packers or patriots. i would like ravens vs packers. flacco and ravens have nothing to prove to the patriots. we swept them this past year, we gave them a gift in 2011. we have proved were the only team that can win against new england, at new england. i know how the nfl is in love with brady. most likely a rematch of the afc championship. flacco once again outplays brady

Flacco has, in his career, outplayed all of the "Elite QBs" in the Mannings, Brady, Little Ben, and Brees. He hasn't beaten Rodgers yet, who i think is the best QB in the league. Let's add another "elite" qb to Flacco's list of victims.

I do not know about you, but I do not give a crap now about next year! WE JUST WON THE SUPER BOWL, so I am going to enjoy it, and live it up for about the next six months.

Some of these choices to me are just silly...

I could instantly eliminate the Jets, Browns, and probably Vikings (and borderline the Texans). This is the first primetime game of the season on a national network on a Thursday. The Browns and Vikings don't get good enough ratings to warrant playing in that game, and I seriously doubt the NFL has any interest in rewarding the Jets with a game like this coming off the 16 games of embarrassment they had last season.

I don't see the Bengals happening, because they don't get big ratings either, and I don't think they'd do back to back home openers for us against them.

Steelers and Patriots both make all the sense in the World. Packers are a wildcard, but I think they stay in the conference.

My bet would be on the Pats. It makes the most sense.