76 replies to this topic

#1 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I for one do not want to watch another season with Oher at LT and after watching Bryant McKinnies interview it seems to me he does not want to be here and is going after the money. We seriously need a great LT especially with us investing 20 mil in Joe, not to mention that Our offense as a whole gets alot more explosive when we are actually protecting Joe.. How do you guys see this unfolding? Maybe some restructures to keep McKinnie as a Ravens?
Follow me on twitter @ShawnPriestman!!

#2 beasy2487

beasy2487

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I for one do not want to watch another season with Oher at LT and after watching Bryant McKinnies interview it seems to me he does not want to be here and is going after the money. We seriously need a great LT especially with us investing 20 mil in Joe, not to mention that Our offense as a whole gets alot more explosive when we are actually protecting Joe.. How do you guys see this unfolding? Maybe some restructures to keep McKinnie as a Ravens?

Lol... McKinnie specifically said he wants to come back. It'll be up to Ozzie.

#3 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,743 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, McKinnie said pretty much opposite what you stated.
Posted Image

#4 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

We'd need a top 20 pick to draft an LT. It's tough.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#5 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I want McKinnie back. I don't know who's bright idea it was to have him sit the bench the whole season and have Oher play LT, but I wanted the offensive line aligned like they finally organized it in that first playoff game: McKinnie-KO-Birk-Yanda-Oher

It always made the most sense to me yet they constantly forced the square peg Oher into the circular left tackle hole. I just hope they don't revert back to the Oher LT infatuation. I have a feeling our offensive line will be solid next year under the direction of Castillo.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#6 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, McKinnie said pretty much opposite what you stated.

No thats what his agent said, have you guys not seen his interview on the breakfast club?

Edited by RavenzAllDay, 14 February 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#7 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

During his interview he pretty much sais baltimore is cool and he wouldnt mind coming back but the moneys got to be right. Also he sais alot of teams have contacted him and during the interview they even ask him if he wants to come back and doesn't give a straight answer. At the end they all pretty much come to an agreement joking with him saying he will not return cause he got his ring and now its all about money

#8 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I want McKinnie back. I don't know who's bright idea it was to have him sit the bench the whole season and have Oher play LT, but I wanted the offensive line aligned like they finally organized it in that first playoff game: McKinnie-KO-Birk-Yanda-Oher

It always made the most sense to me yet they constantly forced the square peg Oher into the circular left tackle hole. I just hope they don't revert back to the Oher LT infatuation. I have a feeling our offensive line will be solid next year under the direction of Castillo.

It was McKinnie who was giving a wieght to be at or under by the start of the season. Mckinnie didn't do it. Reports were that McKinnie went into a funk after being benched and wasn't practicing well. It was Mckinnie was wasn't showing signs of a guy who was willing to work hard and prove himself and judging by McKinnie's lack of effort in short yardage situations at times, I can see that.

I think Harbs may have kept him in the dog house too long, but then again, reports say it wasn't until after the Denver lost that McKinnie had his meeting with Harbs and was told to prove he wanted to start. So that bright idea, might have been what actually got McKinne to buckle down and not just rely on his talents, but hard work as well.

I think most fans understood that Mckinnie at LT Oher at RT and KO at LG was the best combo, and reports are that even players were asking for McKinne. But if he was being lazy and unproductive like reports say, keeping him out was the right call by Harbs

mj5v69.jpg

#9 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

@ravensfan23 ya all he does is party, if he put as much effort as he does into partying into football he would be great. Just doesn't have the work ethic suited to "play like a raven"

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Here's my take on this, one that I feel is really being overlooked around here.

We have the best interior OL in the league, arguably, with KO & Yanda. KO has been an upgrade over Grubbs. Center is a question mark, but with how GG played, man...I feel like we are set there. Gradkowski played EXTREMELY well against the Bengals front. He held up very well against Atkins. He wasn't some Pro Bowl player. Not saying that. But he was impressive for a rookie. I think he is ready. I think he could have started. I think he didn't because Birk's playing well and GG didn't have to start.

Birk offered consistency and an offseason can build that. I feel like we are in a great spot with our interior. Look at the NO Saints. They have excellent interior OL with OK tackles. Their tackles are not impressive, but somehow Brees makes good throws, gets good yards, etc. The interior pocket is extremely important. I've noticed teams like NE, SF, NO--they all have great interior OL. A report was released long ago. It said the LT position may become devalued. At the time, I thought that was stupid. Now, I agree. It's true.

A solid interior can compensate for average tackles. The interior must be solid. Ours is. I think the OL improvement came from KO at LG more than McKinnie at LT. If McKinnie walks, I'll feel OK with Oher at LT as long as KO is LG. I'm more worried about Reid at RT with his injuries. But, he seems to be the heir-apparent.

I think McKinnie walks due to money, and we see an OL with Oher, KO, GG, Yanda, & Reid.

#11 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Given his legal matters, he's probably playing for money. Which is bad news for us because we have very little. But he was the best LT that we have on the roster last year. I hope he comes back, but I don't expect it. A team like the Bears or Cards will definitely look at him.

I would like to see Lane Johnson as our 1st rounder this year. We might have to go up to get him, but I think it would be worth it!

Edited by bMore Heathen, 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#12 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Would you cut Boldin to keep McKinnie? Probably the only chance and for me I could not cut Boldin!

#13 redrum52

redrum52

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

No thats what his agent said, have you guys not seen his interview on the breakfast club?

From that video he's gone, can't afford him. Small world though that Charlemagne is Omar Browns cousin.

#14 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Here's my take on this, one that I feel is really being overlooked around here.

We have the best interior OL in the league, arguably, with KO & Yanda. KO has been an upgrade over Grubbs. Center is a question mark, but with how GG played, man...I feel like we are set there. Gradkowski played EXTREMELY well against the Bengals front. He held up very well against Atkins. He wasn't some Pro Bowl player. Not saying that. But he was impressive for a rookie. I think he is ready. I think he could have started. I think he didn't because Birk's playing well and GG didn't have to start.

Birk offered consistency and an offseason can build that. I feel like we are in a great spot with our interior. Look at the NO Saints. They have excellent interior OL with OK tackles. Their tackles are not impressive, but somehow Brees makes good throws, gets good yards, etc. The interior pocket is extremely important. I've noticed teams like NE, SF, NO--they all have great interior OL. A report was released long ago. It said the LT position may become devalued. At the time, I thought that was stupid. Now, I agree. It's true.

A solid interior can compensate for average tackles. The interior must be solid. Ours is. I think the OL improvement came from KO at LG more than McKinnie at LT. If McKinnie walks, I'll feel OK with Oher at LT as long as KO is LG. I'm more worried about Reid at RT with his injuries. But, he seems to be the heir-apparent.

I think McKinnie walks due to money, and we see an OL with Oher, KO, GG, Yanda, & Reid.

I agree, I think with the style of play that Caldwell will bring, eliminating quick pressure up the middle is huge. Flacco isn't taking those same deep drops he did under Cam and he's getting the ball out quicker. Because of this, I don't think the Ravens have to upgrade the LT position to elite. For me a guy like Matt Light was never elite, but that offense didn't ask of him to be elite.

With that said, I actually think the Ravens can get put Harewood at LT and he'll do well because Caldwell actually schemes to help his tackles against strong outside rushers. Much like any other position, Ozzie won't overpay for McKinnie, if he wants to stay, it'll be at a low cost. If he's not here, the Ravens will sign another low level LT vet and allow him to compete with younger guys.

I really like our interior line as well. I say this offense won't be the same as Caldwell's Indy offense, but I continue to compare lol. Gino will be Flacco's Jeff Saturday. Gino isn't as big as KO and Yanda, but he fights just as hard. He and KO will prove to be a great pair of Olineman from the 2012 draft. Much like the secondary, I think the oline will go from weakness to strength quickly.

mj5v69.jpg

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Would you cut Boldin to keep McKinnie? Probably the only chance and for me I could not cut Boldin!

I wouldn't cut Boldin or Leach for Mckinnie. I like what he did, but i'm not sure if you give him a contract, if you aren't right back in the same position as last Trianing Camp.

The team is at a disadvantage because they just came off playing in February and strength and conditioning programs start in March. So they can't afford to have anybody not fully committed to giving 100% to making another run at making a playoff run.

mj5v69.jpg

#16 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

we have one of the best FOs in league, Ozzie might pick up another KO in this year draft to man up the LT position, or we might have one all ready in PS, like Jack cornell, who knows, our concern right now is salary cap, it will be interesting off season to see how they gonna solve the cap issue and who they gonna bring back, cut, resign, and extend. one thing to keep in mind is we're not gonna sign anyone in FA from other teams until we get our players taking care of.

#17 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I wouldn't cut Boldin or Leach for Mckinnie. I like what he did, but i'm not sure if you give him a contract, if you aren't right back in the same position as last Trianing Camp.

The team is at a disadvantage because they just came off playing in February and strength and conditioning programs start in March. So they can't afford to have anybody not fully committed to giving 100% to making another run at making a playoff run.

Couldn't agree more he is a valuable piece to the offense but is un reliable, on the other hand you got the 2 most reliable players in the league in Boldin and Leach

#18 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hope McKinnie can come back and do what our O-line did this postseason. B/C what they did was nothing short of phenomenal.

#19 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Sigh. The way Bryant was talking in that video, he's gone. We won't have the money to give him what he wants.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#20 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am with you. McKinnie is great insurance especially if we do not get a blue chip LT early in the draft. The organization knows that we have to protect Flacco, especially how heavily we will be investing in him. ...Maybe we'll get an ILB and a LT early in the draft.

Edited by baltravens, 14 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users