Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SecretAgentMan

Breakout candidates for next season

122 posts in this topic

Why not start the fun? Predictions for who the top breakout player will be...

My top three
1. Torrey finally learns to beat the double coverage, and seemingly becomes a game changing WR. A WR that could make a QB, but with a QB that could make him as well..... Becomes Flaccos favorite WR

2. Jimmy Smith becomes the shutdown CB we all thought he would become.... Bmore will be a no fly zone. He stepped up in the playoffs big time.

3. Ed Dickson breaks out in a big way... Explodes onto the seen.

And for the bonus

4. Pierce... I'll say it.. He will be a starter by the end of next year... BUT, Rice will still get more snaps.

5. Upshaw emerges in a big way as well

6. Ellerbe is retained and becomes a premier LB

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1360820411' post='1357450']

My top three
1. Torrey finally learns to beat the double coverage, and seemingly becomes a game changing WR. A WR that could make a QB, but with a QB that could make him as well..... Becomes Flaccos favorite WR

2. Jimmy Smith becomes the shutdown CB we all thought he would become.... Bmore will be a no fly zone. He stepped up in the playoffs big time.

And for the bonus

[b]4. Pierce... I'll say it.. He will be a starter by the end of next year... BUT, Rice will still get more snaps.[/b]

[/quote]

No

and my pick is upshaw getting 8 sacks stepping it up as a pass rusher.

Jimmy...that kid finally finds his grooves and starts playing smart football; all of that with his physicality, he will be our shut down corner.......

I'm buying that...

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1360820731' post='1357452']
Nigel Carr and Omar Brown! Book it!
[/quote]
Brown is actually somewhat a possibility if we don't retain Reed...

New one.

We sign Jamarcus Russel to play NT

Terrance Cody - he is in his contract year, will probably have more competition and NT take a long time to develop...this may be a pipe dream but its still a possibility.

I will aslo echo Jimmy Smith, Omar Brown and would like to add Chykie Brown to the conversation he really had some bright moments

Offensively I think Kelechi Osemele will be talked about as one the best young G's in the NFL (if he stays at LG)

im seeing at least one of these players having a break away year (from the pack) Doss-"touchdown" Tommy Streeter-Donte Thompson.

-[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1360823365' post='1357460']
You spelled [i]candidates [/i]wrong...
[/quote]
:(

MODS!

#1 im going with the jimmy smith answer as well. partly b.c we really need him too and second i think hes fully capable.
#2 tandon doss- he wont have a huge season by any means but we will start to see why joe wanted him so bad.
#3 Arthur jones. he was looking really good at the end of the season. i think he will have big season

quick notes
wouldnt mind seeing webb bulk up and switching to free safety if we lose reed, he played safety in college and i think with his knee the safety position would be better for it.
also wouldnt mind seeing arthur jones bulk up to 325-330 and take over at NT. that is a big weak spot for us

Upshaw & Smith are the obvious two.

That said, a couple dark horses...

Deangelo Tyson, Arthur Jones and Gino Gradkowski.

Ramon Harewood proves why we've been stashing him first on IR and then as inactive last year. Look for him to become a solid-o-good starter for us next year...

And to push it over the edge... He becomes the starting LT and holds down the fort, after B-Mac (with a 1-year contract) once again shows up overwieght in TC.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1360820411' post='1357450']

My top three

And for the bonus

4. Pierce... I'll say it.. He will be a starter by the end of next year... BUT, Rice will still get more snaps.

[/quote]

1. Yep
2. I can see this too. This could be his year.
3. I don't know. It will depend on what targets Joe still has after the cap cuts.
4. He may have a better season than last year, but I do not see him supplantting Rice.
5. I would be surprised if we do not see a major breakout here.
6. He already is, but I can see more.

I would add Joe to that list. I expect some really good things from him this season.
I also second Omar Brown, and would add Chykie to that as well.

With Paul Kruger most likely going somewhere else, I think Adrien Hamilton will surprise everyone. I have a feeling Tommy Streeter will breakout too. Also, I think Jack Cornell gets the LT spot.

Mine are Osemele and Peirce on offense and McPhee,Jones,Upshaw,Brown and Smith on defense.Either Deonte Thompson or Tommy Streeter could blow up on offense if given the opportunity but I doubt theyll get that shot.

1. Upshaw- Gonna be a star and will make us all forget about Kruger
2. Gino Gradkowski- Got to watch Matt Birk all year. It will show
3. Tandon Doss- Excellent hands. It will be tough to let Boldin go, but if we do, it will be ok. I think Doss will step up in his third year

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1360846956' post='1357519']
Pierce cant stay heathy, he wont be starting for anybody.....
[/quote]

He had minor injuries, but he played a lot of games. I could see if he was out for half the season, but that's not the case.

If Arthur Jones didn't already had a break out season I think he might have one next year. I really think he improved his run defence and his ability to get penetration will make him a better pass rusher (I think he is good at getting "slim" between the double team).
Or at least I can hope. The Jones family is crazy. Chandler Jones for the pats, our own Arthur Jones and then Jon "Bones" Jones light heavyweight champion in MMA. Wow their parents must be proud!

[quote name='sameoldbull' timestamp='1360857675' post='1357618']
If Arthur Jones didn't already had a break out season I think he might have one next year. I really think he improved his run defence and his ability to get penetration will make him a better pass rusher (I think he is good at getting "slim" between the double team).
Or at least I can hope. The Jones family is crazy. Chandler Jones for the pats, our own Arthur Jones and then Jon "Bones" Jones light heavyweight champion in MMA. Wow their parents must be proud!
[/quote]

Art does MMA training with Jon every offseason. And when he comes back, he's better than the previous year. I can't wait to see him next season.

I'm going to say Upshaw as a pass rusher because we won't have Kruger and hopefully Suggs will be back to his old self.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1360822361' post='1357458']
Terrance Cody - he is in his contract year, will probably have more competition and NT take a long time to develop...this may be a pipe dream but its still a possibility.

I will aslo echo Jimmy Smith, Omar Brown and would like to add Chykie Brown to the conversation he really had some bright moments

Offensively I think Kelechi Osemele will be talked about as one the best young G's in the NFL (if he stays at LG)
[/quote]

I hope but unless you strap a cheeseburger to the opposing quarter back, I don't see Cody doing much of anything in the trenches.

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1360846956' post='1357519']
Pierce cant stay heathy, he wont be starting for anybody.....
[/quote]

Can't stay healthy? He played a lot for us. If you remember... Ray Rice was injured much of his rookie year too.

Even though Torrey's numbers were very similar to his rookie year, I don't think that paints the whole picture. He struggled through some injuries (worrisome) but turned it up going into the playoffs - teams were afraid of him, imo. He lit up Champ Bailey.

Upshaw: He didn't come into camp in football shape and that put him in catch up mode all season. He'll show the passrush potential that he flashed in college and be a 8-12 sack guy.

Adrian Hamilton: He proved that he can play special teams. He will blossom as a situation passrusher.

Jimmy Smith: He'll combine with Webb for a lethal 1-2 combo.

Asa Jackson: Strong nickel ability.

Michael McAdoo: if he stays healthy, could also show his speed rush ability.

Comeback player:

Lardarius Webb

Not sure how many will consider this a breakout, but I pick Joe Flacco. Joe has the proverbial monkey off his back and is the unquestioned Franchise QB of this team. He'll play loose and free and finally showcase his full potential on a consistent basis. 4,500yds 41TDs 5Int and he'll be a MVP candidate.

A unknown guy who will breakout, I see Josh Bynes. I think he's a better overall LB then McClain and he and Ellerbe could be a strong pair.

Really like Dickson moving forward. Cam seemingly refused to use the middle of the seams, but Caldwell attacks it often. With Jones and Smith putting pressure on safeties deep, Dickson will have a lot of 1on1 matchups with LBs down the seams.

I will also jump on the Jimmy Smith bandwagon. He'll really make that jump in year 3. I think he's really be humbled over his first two years.

I see McAdoo coming on the scene in his first full healthy season and showing JJ Watt type potential with his 6'7, 245lbs frame. coming from the outside and disrupting passing lanes and using his long lanky upper body to grab QB's. I Chykie being a big contributor next season, even more than this year, potentially spending time at slot and 2nd corner dispelling either Graham, Smith, or Web. I can see Upshaw being a force on the other side of suggs, literally. With his power, collapsing and closing the backside run will be easy for this guy. Omar Brown will finally get to show what he's made of when another team takes Reeds services out of Baltimore. Asa Will get some time at slot and dime. Dont sleep on this kid, if our team can provide a pass rush, expect to see this kid take some to the house. I can see this kid as the type to take chances. Cary will get his big payday somewhere else, so will Kruger. Ravens will not attempt the Oher experience on LT again, expect KO to attempt to make a move for that side, with Gino phasing out Birk at C. This will allow an infusion of youth that line seriously needs. Once again, this will leave us with a hole at LG but at LG will be much easier to find than a LT. Expect Benard to be a workhorse in 2013. The formula for this year worked out really well, save Ray Rice for the playoffs and then let him loose as much as possible. The ravens are finding out that they have themselves a nice Marshall Faulk clone in Rice and a Arian Foster type runner in pierce. With Benards ability to power through and quick cut ability, mixed with the best all around back in the league, the opposing D will be picked apart slowly but at least they will be able to pick their poison. Expect the Ravens to add some more speed for Flacco's Big Time Arm. Deonte Thompson will get some more looks during the preseason given the fact that he potentially is fast than Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. Also, Tommy Streeter could come on like lightning next season as well. All the size you would want in a big receiver but with speed to blow the top off. Streeter could potentially be the reason Boldin is released next season if they feel he could provide a bigger red zone threat. Oh yeah, with Jim as OC next year, I can see Flacco making it back to the playoffs again, after throwing for over 4000 yards!!

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1360866214' post='1357715']
Not sure how many will consider this a breakout, but I pick Joe Flacco. Joe has the proverbial monkey off his back and is the unquestioned Franchise QB of this team. He'll play loose and free and finally showcase his full potential on a consistent basis. 4,500yds 41TDs 5Int and he'll be a MVP candidate.

A unknown guy who will breakout, I see Josh Bynes. I think he's a better overall LB then McClain and he and Ellerbe could be a strong pair.

Really like Dickson moving forward. Cam seemingly refused to use the middle of the seams, but Caldwell attacks it often. With Jones and Smith putting pressure on safeties deep, Dickson will have a lot of 1on1 matchups with LBs down the seams.

I will also jump on the Jimmy Smith bandwagon. He'll really make that jump in year 3. I think he's really be humbled over his first two years.
[/quote]

You noticed that Jim has a lot of similar weapons that he had in indy? Big arm QB, Fast wides, you can even make a case for the similarities between Pitta and Dallas Clark(trust me, if you see the tape, the only difference is that Clark was a little bigger but both are deadly route runners and are pure rec TE's). You add an all around back in Rice and a power runner in Benard and if you can keep this offense together, I can smell another ring in the cards in 2013.

[quote name='Trevelyan' timestamp='1360870307' post='1357760']

You noticed that Jim has a lot of similar weapons that he had in indy? Big arm QB, Fast wides, you can even make a case for the similarities between Pitta and Dallas Clark(trust me, if you see the tape, the only difference is that Clark was a little bigger but both are deadly route runners and are pure rec TE's). You add an all around back in Rice and a power runner in Benard and if you can keep this offense together, I can smell another ring in the cards in 2013.
[/quote]

Yea, also Flacco runs the offense much more under Caldwell. I've said for a couple weeks now that I have ARod and Flacco as my top QBs based off talent going into 2013. However even with that said, I don't think Flacco will do the same things Peyton did in Indy. It'll be the same style offense but run much different imo.

I love how Caldwell puts the game in Joe's hands. A lot of the downfield passing game is based on Flacco reading the defense and changing a route or 2. Under Caldwell Flacco will have the run pass option and it'll be based on him reading the defense. Safeties back, LBs spread out...run the ball. Defense playing quarters coverage....push the ball down field. The no huddle will be huge for Flacco and the offense.

With Peyton you have to basically play basic defenses because he'd always find your weakness and if that weakness is in man coverage, it's usually a big play. This is what Joe will be able to do now under Caldwell. Flacco is about to plant his flag as one of the the best QBs in the NFL and we'll witness a HOF career imo. It's a bit early for that, but he's on his way

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1360855323' post='1357583']
Oher has his best season ever.
[/quote][quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1360855659' post='1357588']
My serious picks for breakout candidates are Courtney Upshaw and Tandon Doss.
[/quote]

I can see Torrey Smith, Jones, or Pitta having a even bigger season if the offense goes full no huddle like we did in NE.

[quote name='Trevelyan' timestamp='1360871422' post='1357789']
I can see Torrey Smith, Jones, or Pitta having a even bigger season if the offense goes full no huddle like we did in NE.
[/quote]

I think with Caldwell having an off-season to implement his own system or severely modify Cameron's, players will be used even more to their abilities. Pitta, Torrey and Jones are three players that will benefit from this.

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1360863389' post='1357688']
Josh Bynes will be our break out. I think this guy could be a monster.
[/quote]

Oh dear god, yes.

But really, considering all the vets we're about to lose (again), I'd really like to see all these young guys break out.

I say since we won't resin Cary Williams for Jimmy Smith to step up and finally be the CB we hoped for him to become. If that happens with Webb returning to form and Graham in the slot, that would make a great CB trio and Ed can free lance more and show us flashes of his old self.

I agree about Josh Bynes. Imagine the high he's riding with making the tackle to win the SB. Nigel Carr is another. The ILB position has changed so much. Ray Lewis changed how it's played from 1996-2012. but with this passing league it's going to change even more.

No way Omar Brown gets ahead of Christian Thompson on the depth chart.

And Pierce will have 850 yards and 6 TDs by season end.

On offense... Kelechi and Gino on the offensive line. I believe our O-line will be as follows... McKinnie(re-signs on a short 1-2 year deal), KO, Gino, Yanda and Oher. Both players will be the most talked about at their positions and be in consideration for the Pro Bowl.

Defensively, I think Corey Graham has a big season as the starter opposite of Webb.

Hmm. This is hard. It depends on draft picks, too. But I would have to say these would be my top picks at each position.

WR: it took a while. Smith, Streeter, Thompson, Williams, Doss & Reed (if tendered/re-signed if cut). After deliberating, I say it's Doss. Smith has improved each year. I just can't see him breaking out any more. Streeter's still raw, so while I think he could be good as a redzone threat I can see him have an impact. Doss, though, is my #1 pick. He has underperformed to an extent since being drafted. He had good hands but never shows them in game. He struggled to learn the system early in his career & was hampered by injury. I see this as his year, especially if we part with Anquan.

RB: Pierce gets the nod. Rice is terrific, so it's hard to breakout. He's regarded as one of the best. Pierce doesn't become a starter IMO, but continues to get more reps.

OL: gosh, it's so hard. Reid, GG, Oher, Cornell, KO. I can see all of these guys having "breakout" seasons. If I had to pick, it would be Oher. Final year of his deal, he has something to prove, moved to LT again, has a great year with Castillo's mentoring.

TE: Ed Dickson. Pitta's already well-known. Defenses have begun planning for him. Nobody plans for ED. I see that changing with a new coordinator.

QB: Joe breaks out...even more. I know I said thisLll about Rice, Pitta, Smith--but QB is different. I think he shows why he deserves the deal he gets.

DE: McPhee or Jones...hmmm. This is tough since I see us drafting a guy potentially. I can also see Jones moving to NT. I really think Arthur Jones & McPhee could be starters on a lot of teams. If I had to pick between the two--I can't. I think they both have extreme talent and I think they both show up big. Really big. I would give a slight edge to Jones, because he's in a contract year and I think he finally puts it together.

DT/NT: big unknown. I can see a lot of change here. I can see internal guys like Hall, maybe Tyson or Jones moving to NT. Cody has to have a big year, but I just don't see it, which is unfortunate.

CB/S: a lot depends on Ed Reed. If Reed returns, he'll be the starter without question. If not, I can see Brown, Thompson, & possibly Jackson if they move him to FS. CB...well, I can see Smith having his year and solidying his status. He's come together.

OLB: can Suggs have a breakout year? I think he gets healthy and does. If not, McAdoo. Book it.

ILB: off our players on the roster...I say Bynes or Carr. I don't see it from McClain. It I had to choose? Bynes. He's started and played well for how fresh he was.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1360888805' post='1358001']
Hmm. This is hard. It depends on draft picks, too. But I would have to say these would be my top picks at each position.

DE: [b]McPhee or Jones[/b]...hmmm. This is tough since I see us drafting a guy potentially. I can also see Jones moving to NT. I really think Arthur Jones & McPhee could be starters on a lot of teams. If I had to pick between the two--I can't. I think they both have extreme talent and I think they both show up big. Really big. I would give a slight edge to Jones, because he's in a contract year and I think he finally puts it together.

[/quote]

I think you are the first person to mention Mcphee, and I think Art Jones already broke out so it wouldn't be a surprise. But Mcphee had a justifiably down year. I think with a strong off-season he could be back to having a 7-10 sack year.

I also will piggy back Jimmy Smith breaking out, but he has to stay healthy and more importantly get stronger/more explosion. He also needs a little more work on technique.

My shocker break-out player is Mt. Cody. It's no secret that he's the odd man out currently on the D-line, and he's going to have to work on his power because he doesn't have it despite his size. It's about time to put up or shut up for Cody.

[quote name='wayne' timestamp='1360873004' post='1357809']
I say since we won't resin Cary Williams for Jimmy Smith to step up and finally be the CB we hoped for him to become. If that happens with Webb returning to form and Graham in the slot, that would make a great CB trio and Ed can free lance more and show us flashes of his old self.
[/quote]

One more injury for jimmy, and he just might be a bust. A guy w/ potential that couldn't make it b/c of injury. That same tired old story. Hope im wrong though..

To all saying Doss; I'm pretty sure we've said that last year too. Just sayin'. :P

[quote name='dirtybird10' timestamp='1360858880' post='1357639']

I hope but unless you strap a cheeseburger to the opposing quarter back, I don't see Cody doing much of anything in the trenches.
[/quote]/Thread.

:D

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1360889787' post='1358010']

I think you are the first person to mention Mcphee, and I think Art Jones already broke out so it wouldn't be a surprise. But Mcphee had a justifiably down year. I think with a strong off-season he could be back to having a 7-10 sack year.

I also will piggy back Jimmy Smith breaking out, but he has to stay healthy and more importantly get stronger/more explosion. He also needs a little more work on technique.

My shocker break-out player is Mt. Cody. It's no secret that he's the odd man out currently on the D-line, and he's going to have to work on his power because he doesn't have it despite his size. It's about time to put up or shut up for Cody.
[/quote]
I mentioned him but wasnt sure if he could "qualify"

But he's a legitimate choice.. Was injured all year/had a down 2012

I could easily see him having a huge 2013