87 replies to this topic

#1 DMH_in_WA

DMH_in_WA

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I kind of always knew this was coming. Forget that Matty Melt failed .. forget 1-4 .. forget all the interceptions ... I knew that once the dust settled, we'd be back to the unending comparison of Flacco to Ryan and that somehow, even being Superbowl MVP and on fire in the playoffs, Ryan would be deemed to be the better QB. Peel back the excuses for Ryan ... peel back his failures ... and you get that while Flacco may have won the SB, Matt Ryan has the higher trajectory and is/will be the better QB from the 2008 draft ... so there.

Whatever. I'll take the guy who elevates in big time games over the guy who seems to melt under the pressure. For the love of all things big and small, it took the incredible decisions of the Seahawks to not kick the ball out the back of the end-zone and then to go into a prevent D when the Falcons only needed 30-yards for a FG in order for him not to go 0-4 in the playoffs.

Why do I torture myself by reading these things?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-02-13/matt-ryan-atlanta-falcons-vs-joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-2008-qbs

OzzieTrust.jpg

#2 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'll take flacco he consistently gets it done and this year exceptional.

#3 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

They can say whatever they want.

Ryan supporters like to point to the fact that Ryan has marginally better individual stats than Flacco. When confronted with the knowledge that Romo has better stats than Ryan they point to Matt Ryan's wins. Funny, huh?

I've seen the phrase 'winningest QB in the NFC' on those forums... guess who's the winningest QB in the league...
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#4 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

As much as I love our receivers, I am still envious of how loaded the Falcons are in this area.
I feel bad for Tony Gonzales though. There's a guy, that really deserves that ring in his career. Let's see what Matt Ryan can do without the greatest TE to ever play the game as his security blanket.

bJNF689.jpg

#5 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I honestly don't think Matt Ryan is that much better than Joe, even in terms of stats. He had ten more TDs this year and more yards, but his team has no good RB, and his version of Cam Cameron got fired before the season. We'll get a fair comparison next year when Joe gets to work with Caldwell for an entire year.

And of course you can't beat the clutch factor. Some players have it, some don't, and some need a little while to develop it. Flacco has had it since day one, but we're still waiting for Ryan.

#6 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Meh. The comparison doesn't even bother me anymore. The fact is that Flacco has as many rings as Ryan has playoff wins. That's all I need to know.

#7 baltravensrj55

baltravensrj55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Before Flacco won the ship the way he did all this was understandable. Now it is just plain stupidity.

Just count the trophies baby....

Flacco- 1
Ryan- 0 HASNT EVEN BEEN TO The SUPERBOWL

Enough said
Tucker>Cundiff

#8 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ryan supporters like to point to the fact that Ryan has marginally better individual stats than Flacco. When confronted with the knowledge that Romo has better stats than Ryan they point to Matt Ryan's wins. Funny, huh?

I point this out all the time. To this day I have no idea why Matty 2 Points is considered "Ice" while Romo is called a choker. They're basically the same guy, except that Romo actually has better stats, worse coaching, and an inferior team around him. As I mentioned before, the media chooses their "guys" and sticks with them no matter what.

#9 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,767 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'll preface this by saying Ryan is a good QB, but he would not survive in the AFC North and it irks me to no end how no sports writer/ journalist, whatever you want to call them, ever mentions the fact that Ryan plays in the NFC South home of some of the softest defenses in the entire league and 2 domed fields. N.O.? Just wow, even when Greg Williams was there the defense still gave up a ton of yardage and significant points, TB hasn't had a good defense since Monte Kiffin was there and the Panthers (while having good young pieces in the front 7) are still giving up 23 ppg.

#10 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Slanted "analysis" and poor assumptions.

Garbage article.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#11 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,651 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I stopped caring when Flacco got his ring, and even before I didn't care that much.

Let them cling to their stats. It's all they have.

#12 PurpleCorsair

PurpleCorsair

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Glossed over is the fact that Ryan had Roddy White and Tony G while Joe was stuck butting heads with Cam Cameron.

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'll take a SB MVP over a melted pot of ice any day...

Oh, and the melted pot has a greater arsenal of weapons at his disposal. Prob the best in the NFL

White, who is just a great all around WR

and Jones, who is a Calvin Johnson esq athlete
Banned

#14 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,546 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

3 letters - AOL ;)
Posted Image

#15 baltravensrj55

baltravensrj55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I stopped caring when Flacco got his ring, and even before I didn't care that much.

Let them cling to their stats. It's all they have.

true that
Tucker>Cundiff

#16 jberta1

jberta1

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I forgot Matt Ryan went 11 TD's and 0 INT's in the playoffs with a Super Bowl MVP...

#17 D_UP

D_UP

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'll take Super Bowls over stats.

#18 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Some QBs have talents that make the players around them better. You can give them any type of WR and they'll shine. Some guys have limitations that you need to have great well rounded guys surrounding them.

Matt Ryan is a guy that needs great talent around him. The offense he is in is perfect for him, because it hides his weaknesses. Ryan has a above average arm, isn't a QB who can stretch the field wide and deep consistently and he struggles to read defenses.

These are all of the concerns i had about Ryan coming out of BC when I wanted the Ravens to draft him. Now none of those weaknesses makes Ryan a bad QB, just mot as good as everyone makes him out to be. Having guys like Jones, White and Tony G inside of a timing offense plays to Ryan's strength.

Although it's tough to do, the comparison to me breaks down to this. If Flacco was in ATL, would that offense be the same worse or better? At the very least the same, but imo Flacco would really elevate that offense into the type of offense Roddy White cliams they are gonna be every offseason.

Now if you put Ryan into this Ravens offense and didn't change a thing, I don't think Ryan would be able to maintain this offense, let along elevate it. Especially under Cam. He doesn't have the arm strength to consistently attack outisde the numbers, he doesn't have the deep ball accuracy to consistently take advantage of the speed in this offense. He also doesn't have the same drive on his throws to be able to deliver the ball into tight windows with these WRs not creating much separation.

Also with all his comeback victories and a name like Ice, he gets flustered far more then people say, at least from what I see. I'm not sure how he would handle the physical nature of the Steelers and playing at Hienz field every year. I'm not sure he'd be able to overcome Bill Belicheks defensive schemes seemingly every year.

I like Matt Ryan, but I think with the young QBs coming up and himing losing Tony G and maybe White over the next few years, Ryan could quickly become like Philp Rivers. People will just get tried of waiting on him.

mj5v69.jpg

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Fantasy:
Ryan>Flacco

Real life:
Flacco>Ryan
Banned

#20 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

All you have to do is look at Ryan's numbers when he plays top competition - for instance, 2011 vs. GB, CHI, HOU - 2 TDs, 5 picks, and we all know what he did in the playoffs. This year - 5 picks against Arizona, the only top passing defense he played all season, the 2 picks against Seattle in the playoffs, and then the second half pick against San Francisco that helped seal the deal. You can even go back to 2010 and see how poorly he fared against the Rothelisberger-less Steelers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users