Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/13: Don’t Expect Same Ravens Team

86 posts in this topic

Lewis vs. Kaepernick – What could have been. Party continues in Baltimore. Flacco an All-American guy.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-213-Don’t-Expect-Same-Ravens-Team/e046106d-3ef6-487f-aec1-a8c127d467ff]View the full article[/url]

We won it at the right time. Some good pick ups and draft choices could have the Ravens right back in the hunt. The down side of our situation is that there are teams like Denver whose window has just opened. It will be tough to repeat.

Ray would of handled Kaepernick like he did Sproles. No way he would've let him score, 1 on 1 with him with the Superbowl on the line...I don't care how bad he played that game or how old he is.

"Stop him and the Ravens win. Don't stop him, and the Ravens lose."

I don't agree with this. If he had scored there would have still been almost 2 minutes remaining, and we still had all three timeouts. Would a game winning drive under those circumstances really be impossible?

Nah Denver doesnt have that much of a window. I give Manning 3 years more tops, likely only 2. Hes old and he's brittle. Wont be long before Denver has a major QB problem at hand and fades back into the background.

Why does the media assume that the Ravens would have lost the Superbowl if the 49'ers would have scored that last touchdown? They would have left plenty of time on the clock for Joe to march the offense back down for a score.

It wasn't the "same old" Ravens team, that won the Superbowl anyway. Did we have dominant overpowering defense? No, we were middle of pack defensively heading into the playoffs. Did we ground and pound our way through the playoffs? No, NE and SF actually did a good job taking that away from us.
All I remember is Baltimore having the most explosive dynamic offense of the playoffs. You kind of have to get used to this, but it is the current reality for the Ravens anyway (Flacco and Rice being the central pieces of our team).
The biggest priorities in the off-season are:

1. Sign Flacco
2. Make sure our OLine continues to play at a high level
3. Get atleast one more year of Boldin and find a heir apparent
4. Defense

It's a big shift in team philosophy, but one that fits the nature of todays league.

[quote name='Baltimore Bandwagon' timestamp='1360768597' post='1356562']
Why does the media assume that the Ravens would have lost the Superbowl if the 49'ers would have scored that last touchdown? They would have left plenty of time on the clock for Joe to march the offense back down for a score.
[/quote]

They quickly forget about the 89 yard, 1:00 march Flacco led down the field at Heinz Field against the Steelers two seasons ago. and that was against highly rated Steelers defense!

I like Peter King's "what if scenario". What a worthless topic!

What if Boldin doesn't catch that TD pass? What if Tuck missed the field goal in the 4th? What if Jacoby does not run that ball back?

Sounds stupid, doesn't it? But it's Peter King...guess I can't expect much. My bad.

@BaltimoreBandwagon: That really upsets me too. Beyond them scoring the touchdown, people act like if they called holding it would have won them the game. No, it would have put them at the two and a half. It's like Ravens fans who say we were a missed kick away from beating New England last season. Completely delusional.

I feel like Peter King's content is slipping. A hypothetical play that never happened and Flacco going to Cleveland. These are the stories we can expect in the offseason?

@RiseandConquer81: If you get on here and read this, yesterday I said Cary Williams wasn't going to be worth the contract he would inevitably get. I said he allowed a lot of first downs against him. You came back and asked for a source as opposed to googling it yourself. I gave you the source, then you said it was bad. All the while not debating my original point at all. Do you contend that we should sign Cary Williams to a long term deal at the market price he will command?

It is going to be tough to repeat. I believe we are going to lose alot of our starters next year. Unless Ozzie can work some magic some where with the numbers. I know we will be competative for a long time but a repeat would be difficult if we kept everyone, nearly impossible if we lose most as we probably will.

Cody was good for a few laughs and maybe tripping someone once in a while on his back... Ravens need to find a good replacement for him.

On another note, how about Jimmy Smith stepping up in the post season and SB. He was clutch. He made that huge Special Teams tackle on Punt coverage in OT against Denver and the last 9ers series in the SB. If he elevates his play next season, and Webb returns to his healthy self, they will be tough, with or without Cary Williams. Honestly, for J smith to pan out I hoped he would take over Williams spot on the depth chart...

I for one, am getting a bit tired of seeing this headline. One day after the SB win, that is ALL I've seen in sports headline everywhere. No team will be the same team, especially one like ours that needs to sign a SB winning QB. And all the hypothetical what-ifs regarding our win, fact is we did win so get over it SI. In the meantime, I will just wait for some news on our FO progress.

[quote name='RisingandConquering' timestamp='1360768487' post='1356559']

I don't agree with this. If he had scored there would have still been almost 2 minutes remaining, and we still had all three timeouts. Would a game winning drive under those circumstances really be impossible?
[/quote]exactly what were we going to do stand around and let the clock run out . nonesense. I don't understand why all the what if's . its done the better team won.

@metalraven, What if the power dosn't go out for 34 minutes and the offence doesn't sit on the bench for over 80 minutes and loose the momentum we had going into the thid quarter.

I agree, It's a silly article.

[quote name='RisingandConquering' timestamp='1360768487' post='1356559']

[/quote]

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, I think most of us were looking to that as our path to victory once SF got the ball inside the 10. I think the smart money would have been on SF getting a TD at that point, they way they were moving the ball. I didn't foresee the Raven's historic goal-line stand.

I was very confident we'd have moved the ball far enough for Tucker to kick a long (indoor) FG. The big what-if, would have been whether that kick would have been for the win or the tie. That would have depended on whether SF would have been successful on the 2-point attempt after scoring the TD.

Of course, its all fodder for chat ... these "what if" scenarios. The fact was, had Jim not called the TO, that play would have been a 5 yard loss (delay) - no matter what Lewis did with Kap. Doesn't matter. Our D was beyond shaky finishing that game out, but dug deep and did what they had to, while SF I think showed some signs of jitters and inexperience in that final 2 minutes.

I don't expect it to be the same team, I expect it to be a better team!
If we can sure up our Defence, get them back to a top 10 squad and keep a strong O-line protecting Joe, the 2013 Ravens will be tough to beat!

Peter King and Jim Harbaugh are just sick on sour grapes. The" what if we was robbed crowd" should raise some money and take a trip to Orlando. It would be fun watching their Super Bowl ride in Fantasy Land. We could join them and Mickey Mouse in a rendition of It's a Small World. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

On Lewis vs. Kaepernick, Downing wrote, "Stop him and the Ravens win. Don't stop him, and the Ravens lose."

Not necessarily. At worst, the Ravens are down by three, with over a minute left and all three timeouts to get into fieldgoal range. And we have Mr. Automatic, Jr. So, not so dramatic as all that.

Besides--in all honestly, I think Kaepernick would beat a 37-year-old Ray. Glad things went the way they did.

@jackrogers: I completely agree. When people like Frank Gore said they played better it just makes me laugh. I guess if you don't count the first 32 minutes of the game where we scored a ton more points than them. Or Jim with the "We would have won if you called holding." Last time I checked holding calls don't grant you any points. Then you got the guys saying Flacco got lucky Raheem Moore misplayed the ball in Denver and we shouldn't even of been in the Super Bowl. Where are those people saying Flacco got unlucky last year? Every year every team is a few lucky bounces away, that's football, get over it. I don't care if we were the 'best team.' Nobody plays to have the best statistical season. You play to win the championship. I hope Frank Gore enjoys looking at the 9ers stats in the trophy case.

[quote name='Bat-mite' timestamp='1360772709' post='1356603']
On Lewis vs. Kaepernick, Downing wrote, "Stop him and the Ravens win. Don't stop him, and the Ravens lose."

Not necessarily. At worst, the Ravens are down by three, with over a minute left and all three timeouts to get into fieldgoal range. And we have Mr. Automatic, Jr. So, not so dramatic as all that.

Besides--in all honestly, I think Kaepernick would beat a 37-year-old Ray. Glad things went the way they did.
[/quote]

Field goal range?
pfffft, Jacoby gets at least 30 on the return, Joe goes 4-wide gun with Pierce in the backfield, makes his MVP case even stronger and sets up Tucker for an extra point attempt instead. Niners could not cover us. with 3 timeouts left, we run that show everytime.

[quote name='caw710' timestamp='1360771122' post='1356586']
I don't expect it to be the same team, I expect it to be a better team!
If we can sure up our Defence, get them back to a top 10 squad and keep a strong O-line protecting Joe, the 2013 Ravens will be tough to beat!
[/quote]

Agreed! I think the key is to keep the offense intact, including resigning McKinnie and not cutting Boldin. The balance of strength for the Ravens has clearly shifted to the offense, and we need to keep it that way. If that means we lose starters off of the defense, including Ed Reed, then that's what we'll have to live with. If there are massive personnel changes to be made, the sacrifice needs to come from the defensive side of the ball. We still have Haloti, Sizzle, Pollard and Webb under contract for next year, hopefully, all back at full strength. That's a pretty strong core.

I had no idea Matt Stafford was being paid 20.86 mil a year!?!?! He hasn't done much of anything? Joe really is holding all the cards... I'm sure Ozzie and the FO will work out a fair deal for both sides. I just hope its sooner rather than later...

Peter King used to be such a good source of info and good articles... but nowadays... He goes on contemplating what would have happened if that play wasn't called back due to timeout, goes on predicting the unpredictable - and then concludes "We'll never know"...

Well, Mr. King, there's an awful brawl out there for the title of Captain Obvious - but you certainly made some headway with this... You've managed to conclude that we'll never know what would have happened if things didn't happen the way they did.

Who would've thunk...

bio

ok minus me up......What if we let joe walk? We keep ALOT more of our team together and have Tyrod Taylor to start off the year and 2 1st round picks for letting joe go to trade for a proven qb or draft one, again keeping almost everyone else.....we are out of money, what else can we do?

I hope the celebrity universe will forget about Flacco as soon as possible... It's obviously not his world and I cannot imagine it's doing anything good to him. I guess we're lucky we don't have a media monkey as our QB - so I hope they are gonna fail in trying to make him one.

bio

[quote name='Bohica5' timestamp='1360775745' post='1356654']
ok minus me up......What if we let joe walk? We keep ALOT more of our team together and have Tyrod Taylor to start off the year and 2 1st round picks for letting joe go to trade for a proven qb or draft one, again keeping almost everyone else.....we are out of money, what else can we do?
[/quote]

I'm one of the few who - though I'd definitely try to keep Flacco, of course - wouldn't see him leaving as a lethal damage. Two first round picks would definitely be welcome (especially that the franchise that would take Flacco would probably be one that has a high - probably a top-ten - pick) - the only catch is that there are no QB's out there who are even remotely as promising as Flacco in free agency, and the draft is the shallowest promising QB-wise in long years. There's only one QB I see could even enter the conversation as a possible replacement for Flacco: Alex Smith. He would still be a downgrade from Flacco, of course, but he's at least a QB I can imagine keeping us winning. Sorry, but I didn't see the starting potential in Tyrod in Cincinatti...

So, all in all, I do think the best option for us by far is to keep him - but if we somehow end up losing him (which is strictly a theoretical setup, we all know it won't happen), that wouldn't be the end of the world, and could even be turned into a winning scenario.

If only there was one decent QB on the free agent list or the draft...

bio

I would like to see the same team return next year but I know it's a buisness so we all know that wont happen and the Ravens staff said it wont happen. I also like watching the new young guys come in and grow. With certain players we have in place the Ravens can build around them. I just cant see cutting Boldin that would hurt. His production is still great his hands are sure you dont get rid of players that can still produce on that level.

49ers were down 5 Points, a td would have put them ahead by 2....... we would have had 2 min with 3 TO to move the ball 50yrds for a FG. this was the team of Destiny we are talking about here. WE Got this Y'all! we still would have won and that would have been more $$ for Flacco.

Bohica5
11 minutes agook minus me up......What if we let joe walk? We keep ALOT more of our team together and have Tyrod Taylor to start off the year and 2 1st round picks for letting joe go to trade for a proven qb or draft one, again keeping almost everyone else.....we are out of money, what else can we do?

hi, you must be a new fan, but i remember what happen when they let Dilfer walk...... we had 6 years of Crap offense. and Taylor is not a Real option at QB only a stop gap to finish a game until a FA QB could come in a take control. see the bengals game. he is not good enough to win in the NFL

[quote name='MDpgRaven' timestamp='1360776439' post='1356666']
49ers were down 5 Points, a td would have put them ahead by 2....... we would have had 2 min with 3 TO to move the ball 50yrds for a FG. this was the team of Destiny we are talking about here. WE Got this Y'all! we still would have won and that would have been more $$ for Flacco.
[/quote]

What I love is how a lot of niners' fans keep talking like a TD there would have secured the win for them... As if there wasn't one and a half minutes left for us, with 3 timeouts left... More than enough time to put the ball within FG range - which for Tucker is quite a long distance, especially in a dome...

In all fairiness though, we had the same here with a lot of our fans, after the championship game: nither a TD from Evans, nor the FG would have secured the win for us. The TD would only have put us in a very good position - but we all know Brady is capable of marching down the field quick. And as for the FG, that would merely have put the game to overtime - nowhere near winning the game...

So, that's how those niners'-fans have managed to put up the "refs make the PI call = the Niners win the Super Bowl" equation, though it's wrong on multiple levels: starting from the point that making the call isn't calling it a TD, merely awarding them with a great opportunity to make a TD. and even if they make that TD, see the field-goal scenario above...

But let this all be the Niners' fans problem, right? We've had out more than fair share of those "what would have been if" scenarios last season, after the championship game, now it's the niners' fans' turn.

bio

[quote name='MDpgRaven' timestamp='1360776724' post='1356672']
hi, you must be a new fan, but i remember what happen when they let Dilfer walk...... we had 6 years of Crap offense. [/quote]

that wasn't because we let Dilfer go - it was because we picked the wrong guy to replace him.

Also, as Ozzie admitted, they made bad roster-management and contract decisions - much more than just letting Dilfer go.

If only it was this simple: keep your QB and everything will be good...

But it isn't.

bio

What people also forget was that some of our FAs from the SB run may have stayed were they not gobbled up by the Houston Texans' 2002 "expansion draft"!

So, in a manner of speaking, Jacoby the 'Dragonfly', Jackhammer Pollard, and Vonte Leach getting their SB rings with us is poetic justice! lol

@ BioLarzen
who made you queen of LFW??
You think because you can type faster that make you more correct?
In honesty the 2001 Ravens underperformed because we lost Jamal in the Preseason, but if we have had Dilfer%u2019s game managing skills, would we have played better, with less turnovers. I never said %u201Ckeep your QB and everything will work%u201D it%u2019s not that simple. There are plenty of breaks that need to happen to have a perfect season and cap it off with a Ring. And that commentor suggested %u201Ckeeping more players VS Letting Joe walk%u201D it is single handily the dumbest thing I have read on here. Players will go it happens and Fresh bodies are graduating in June. We will get a couple of them

I really like how you feel the need to add you two cents to EVERYONES COMMNENTS %u2013 Thanks mom

[quote name='ALSKAN RAVEN FAN' timestamp='1360776414' post='1356665']
I would like to see the same team return next year but I know it's a buisness so we all know that wont happen and the Ravens staff said it wont happen. I also like watching the new young guys come in and grow. With certain players we have in place the Ravens can build around them. I just cant see cutting Boldin that would hurt. His production is still great his hands are sure you dont get rid of players that can still produce on that level.
[/quote]

Alaskan, I feel ya bro... but remember how we all felt when Mason and Heap were let go? I agree with you, we should try to retain Q if at all possible. I'm a strong proponent for sacrificing defensive players in order to keep the offense 100% intact. But, Ozzie and his staff have already proven to us that they can overcome losses. Year after year, Raven players (and coaches!) are consistently the most sought after in the market. And, we do have a couple of strong candidates to replace Boldin. So, however it all plays out, I'm sure whatever moves are made will end up being the right ones.

[quote name='Baltimore Bandwagon' timestamp='1360779365' post='1356720']
Alaskan, I feel ya bro... but remember how we all felt when Mason and Heap were let go? I agree with you, we should try to retain Q if at all possible. I'm a strong proponent for sacrificing defensive players in order to keep the offense 100% intact. But, Ozzie and his staff have already proven to us that they can overcome losses. Year after year, Raven players (and coaches!) are consistently the most sought after in the market. And, we do have a couple of strong candidates to replace Boldin. So, however it all plays out, I'm sure whatever moves are made will end up being the right ones.
[/quote]agreed it just wont be easy to swallow..GO RAVENS!!!

THATS how you know Flacco will sign with the Ravens. Of all the ties he coulda wore to fashion week in NYC, he wore Ravens Purple.

That's our Joe folks!

Although I obviously believe that all of the talk of letting Flacco go is moot and irrelevant, because it won't happen, I can't help but question... what exactly are we accomplishing by letting him go? What is the end game?

I understand why a team like the Colts would bail on Manning and start over, but I don't understand exactly what we would be trying to do by moving on from Flacco.

To me, our objective of the last several years and going forward was to make this a much more balanced franchise. We showed for the first 10 years of our existence that we simply didn't care about QBs, WRs, or the offense in general. We were just going to stockpile outstanding defensive players, and we were going to win games in the trenches. For the last five years or so, it's obvious we are moving towards a more balanced and dangerous team, which is what we saw from this team in the playoffs.

Regardless of financial impact... what is the end goal of letting Flacco walk? If we let him walk, shouldn't we just blow everything up? Get rid of Reed, Boldin and anybody else basically over the age of 30. There's no point in keeping them. Slash the roster, get $50 million under the cap, and spend 3-4 years in the tank drafting and building players.

It's a route teams take sometimes (Colts), but I don't think this team is in a position to do that. I could see the Steelers doing that very soon, and fans will have a tough time coming to grips with it.

We are looking at losing D. Reed / Matt Birk and Ed Dickson on the Offense.
TBH... Birk is the only one that started... Dickson was beat out and DREED never really produced much for us! I beleive that we will re-sign Boldin... We will see the developmet of young players like KO-GINO- PIERCE-DEONTE and STREETER begin to pay dividens.

The biggest loss in my opinion on the Offensive side of the ball will most likely be VONTAE LEACH... and that is a big loss but I think the NFL is phasing FB's out. We will just go to more double TE and 3 and 4 WR sets.

DEFENSIVELY.... RAY LEWIS is the glaring loss... Kruger played great this year (especially down the stretch) and Cary had a great post season. but with the developmen of UPSHAW and the retrun of WEBB... I think we will be fine in both areas....

We will need to re-sign ELLERBE -especially since we are losing RAY and sure up the middle of that DL! but overall we look as good or better heading into next season.

ED REED remains the biggest issue defensively! We can not deny that he is a play maker... Losing him is like losing a homerun hitter in baseball. He may strikeout from time to time at this stage of his carreer but he is someone the opposing pitcher can never sleep on and he can change a game quickly.

OZ and co... will adress some of the need areas in the draft and if we do lose all of those guys we will have money left for FA...

I think we have less holes to fill then most teams and most teams arent coming off of a super bowl victory!

[quote name='bioLarzen' timestamp='1360777153' post='1356684']
that wasn't because we let Dilfer go - it was because we picked the wrong guy to replace him.

Also, as Ozzie admitted, they made bad roster-management and contract decisions - much more than just letting Dilfer go.

If only it was this simple: keep your QB and everything will be good...

But it isn't.

bio
[/quote]

I wonder... would the Ravens had been in the playoffs each of the last five years, won at least one playoff game each of those years, including three AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl victory,... without Joe Flacco? Of course, there are hundreds of other factors. BUT if you were to subtract any other one player from the equation, I just don't think the significance of their absence would have been as great (well, maybe one could could make a great argument for Ray Rice). I just don't see us having this consistent success with another QB during the past five years. If we kept everyone on the roster EXCEPT Joe, I don't think maintain that consistency. With Joe on board, I see us creating a dynasty. Without Joe, I think we go back to being pretty good, but not great.

FLACCO will be back! There is just not a better option available. We may talk to ALEX SMITH but truth is there is not a better option out there! JOE will be re-signed.

THe issues is less about Joe and more about adding depth and weapons. Re-sign Joe, mcKinnie and Boldin... If we can do those things we will be set on offense...