Photo

Jason LaCanfora: Ravens to let Williams, Kruger walk; attempt to Re-sign Flacco, Reed, Elerbe

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#1 PDO

PDO

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

http://www.cbssports...-cap-quandaries

The Super Bowl participants, the Ravens and 49ers are pretty flush against the cap. Baltimore is likely to let free agents Paul Kruger and Cary Williams walk, sources said, while focusing on new deals for quarterback Joe Flacco, linebacker Dannell Ellerbe and safety Ed Reed (signing all three, however, may not be possible).

Not overly surprising, but seems news worthy from a very connected source.

#2 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think that's been the overall consensus on here. No surprises. I do hope we can make Reed a Raven for life at a reasonable price. He's one of those players you would hate to see in another uniform. Reed is a Raven!
Posted Image

#3 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

I was hoping we would be able to come to some fair deal to keep Kruger but I understand why we have to let him go. Though at this point, it would seem keeping Kruger, Ellerbe and Joe would be priority while letting Ed test the market and then offer him a fair deal to come back.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Flacco and Ellerbe seem like the most realistic options.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I was hoping we would be able to come to some fair deal to keep Kruger but I understand why we have to let him go. Though at this point, it would seem keeping Kruger, Ellerbe and Joe would be priority while letting Ed test the market and then offer him a fair deal to come back.

Like someone said in the draft forum, we could always draft Joe Kruger. Replace a Kruger w/ a Kruger.
Posted Image

#6 PDO

PDO

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Williams is a luxury on a team that has Webb, Smith, Graham and Brown. No issue letting him walk.

Seeing Kruger go will hurt, but he's going to get paid $8,000,000+ a season, and there's no way we should be paying him that, especially with Upshaw having come off a good rookie season as our top pick from a year ago.

If we could keep the other 3, I'd be pretty content with the off-season; especially if that meant minimal restructuring/cuts.

#7 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hate to say it, but Kruger walks and he's the next Bart Scott. Played well for us and will be NOTHING for whoever he plays for next.
Posted Image

#8 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,789 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hate to say it, but Kruger walks and he's the next Bart Scott. Played well for us and will be NOTHING for whoever he plays for next.

And I will be LMAO while it happens :P

#9 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ill take it

#10 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Figuredd this was the plan all along. Nothing new here.

#11 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think Ozzie wants ed a life long raven.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#12 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Depends how they use him and what DT he's playing next to. If a team expects him to be a 3 down LB they're going to be disappointed unless they have a very disruptive DT beside him that can take pressure off Kruger holding the edge well.

It will be interesting to see if Kruger picks a 34 or 43 defense to play in though. He may excel in a 43 as a LDE.

Having said all that this is far and above the correct personnel moves to make if you're Ozzie. Whether he can pull it off is another thing. We may get a fat comp pick from Kruger next year too if you need a silver lining to losing an impact pass rusher.

Edited by Bltravens, 12 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#13 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I hope not. I spoke with kruger at Alfonzo's with cold spring lane. Good guy, wish him success.

Officially.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I dont necessarily agree with this. Kruger is a very good pass-rusher. If he is on a team that already has a good DE/OLB I think he can be just as good if not better. Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Atlanta and Seattle are all teams I could see pursuing him.

@gabefergy

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think it was Mortensen who said today that in watching tape, the members of the Ravens said after watching film, that despite the injuries defenses still slid protect to Suggs and allow Kruger to go 1on1 and they'd let Kruger hit the market.

I was hoping Kruger could be retained as I like to see homegrown guys develop into studs and the Ravens have been searching for a pass rusher opposite Suggs for a while.

However when you start looking at the situation, you can understand why the Ravens wouldn't put big money into Kruger. If Suggs and Ngata are pulling most of the attention from the oline, you expect guys like Art, Mcphee and Upshaw to step their game up and produce. Also young guys like Hamilton and McAdoo could be situational rushers as well.

Then you consider that blitzing playyed a major role in the pressures and Pees became much better at scheming up packages late in the season. I think the Ravens are taking the approach that they gotta get back to being stout against the run and they'll be able to manufactuer enough pass rush opposite Suggs to get off the field in key moments.
Posted Image

#16 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,511 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

happy to hear of an attempt........ try and get it done you Wizard you. after hearing no word , its a good report but still nerve racking for us fans sitting here waiting. each player bring to the table their own unique set to propel/ maintain the steady flow of progression moving forward. although we can not resign all of them, resigning the guys reported would be a plus for us without a doubt. Cary is good, but there's baggage with the guy, for me It was up and down play all season , getting burned on more than a couple plays In which he should have had down as routine... Kruger, I'd love to keep him but he's simply asking for too much money ... plain and simple.... OZ does a great job at drafting and judging by the younger guys, im sure he'll find Kruger's replacement in OTA's / training camp.

Edited by Raven07, 12 February 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

I dont necessarily agree with this. Kruger is a very good pass-rusher. If he is on a team that already has a good DE/OLB I think he can be just as good if not better. Tennessee, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Atlanta and Seattle are all teams I could see pursuing him.

I can see Tennessee pursuing him, too.

Also, I kind of figured this would be the case. I think a lot of people have, though some keep saying to keep Kruger, Williams, etc. It's just not happening. Reed & Ellerbe will probably be cheaper than Kruger & Williams. It's just the fact of the matter.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 12 February 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#18 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

I can see Tennessee pursuing him, too.

I think Kruger is more of a OLB than a DE.

Officially.

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

See, I see quite the opposite. I see Kruger as a better and more efficient DE than OLB.

#20 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

He has the size to play DE easily. 6'4, 265, and it's not like he is all that great in dropping into coverage. DE would allow him to do what he does best, get after the QB.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users