Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ravens Free Agents

117 posts in this topic

The Ravens have 13 unrestricted free agents and six restricted free agents.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Free-Agents/234142c7-1f2c-49df-9ff7-1dcc39fb6a05]View the full article[/url]

Ravens won the Super Bowl! all you haters can go pound sand. Boy it is really hard to find anyone to wear Steeler gear around here in PA. I love wearing my Flacco jersey. No one says anything anymore. They are in hidding! BBBAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHAAABBHHHAAA!

Whatever happened to the weekly AFC North Blog?

I think Blittsburgh will have a heavier shake up than us[list]
[*]Mike Wallace is definitely on his way out
[*]Mendenhall is gone
[*]James Harrison won't sign at a discount
[*]I even saw something that suggested they might part ways with TP which wouldn't be surprising
[/list]
Cincy has some key free agent issues to sort out as well.

Positive that if we can re-tool on defense we'll be in the hunt for the division title again

arthur jones, mckinnie, ellerbe, kruger and pitta are must keeps. love reed but it all depends on how much per season he will cost the salary cap. yes he is a leader but he does not tackle anymore and has lost a few steps. would love to bring him back but the younger guys have to be the priority.

How come my Ravens won the Superbowl song keeps getting deleted :(

Mod note: because it has nothing to do with this article. Please read your messages.

That is a lot of heat in the free agency good googlee moo. I really hate when we lose a fan favorite to a boo boo team ie Kelly Gregg, Double JJ. I can't wait to see Ozzie pull this off and since I can't see which way we're going, it's going to be incredible.

[quote name='easternshore97' timestamp='1360698982' post='1355678']
Arthur Jones came on pretty good this year!
[/quote]

I anticipate him getting a 2nd round tender and earning around 2M this year. We may even look to sign him to an extension.

As for our #1 RFA, I thought we'd go with a 1st rounder on him. However, our resident cap expert Brian McFarland stated a 2nd rounder would be good enough for him. We may be even more motivated to try and work an extension for him.

Dickson is a mystery. I anticipate a low tender for him (putting him at just over 1M) and actually hope someone tries to grab him. I don't think it will happen though - since they'd have to give up a pick equal to his draft (3rd round).

[quote name='Zeus' timestamp='1360700715' post='1355719']
Let Cary go... Go far away
[/quote]

Sure about that? Have you noticed that Cary is the only CB we've had in years who can stay off of the injury reports? There's a lot of value in that fact alone.

Some wildcard performers needed for upcoming year:

- Gino Gradkowski .... I'm not hearing widespread rumors, but it seems that even if Birk doesn't retire, he'll be released. Gino is going to have some big shoes to fill.

- Michael MaCadoo ... People please stop saying that Kruger is a must keep. The only person more certain to be gone is Williams and Kruger will not be far behind. If Upshaw steps into the start, then someone needs to back-fill. Since Oz has said we'd likely draft middle defense (DT, ILB and perhaps S), the edge isn't likely to be bolstered via draft. Hoping he can stay healthy this go round so we see what we actually have.

Call me crazy, but... McKinnie is priority #2 in my mind (after Joe of course). What a HUGE difference he made once he was inserted back into the lineup. A one year contract to McKinnie, give our young guys another year of seasoning. Oher has had numerous opportunities, and has proven that he is not nearly as good on the left side. It'd be nice to know if Birk is playing or retiring sometime real soon.

[quote name='slim36' timestamp='1360701017' post='1355725']
We need to keep.Ihedigbo. ! He's a sleeper
[/quote]

I definitely hope he won't garner much on the open market and that we can keep him around. Especially if Reed is unable to be retained, we'll need the safety help.

[quote name='balfan23' timestamp='1360700636' post='1355717']
I anticipate him getting a 2nd round tender and earning around 2M this year. We may even look to sign him to an extension.

As for our #1 RFA, I thought we'd go with a 1st rounder on him. However, our resident cap expert Brian McFarland stated a 2nd rounder would be good enough for him. We may be even more motivated to try and work an extension for him.

Dickson is a mystery. I anticipate a low tender for him (putting him at just over 1M) and actually hope someone tries to grab him. I don't think it will happen though - since they'd have to give up a pick equal to his draft (3rd round).
[/quote]
Do you think Joe just wasn't looking for Dickson? That was his go to guy last year in the 2011 season...or so it seemed.

Given that Boldin and/or Jones likely won't be back, I'd like to see if D. Reed gets a shot. He bulked up pretty good and I'm sure his hands are still what they said they were

PLAY LIKE A RAVEN OR PLAY like you are holding the team ransome !
Yes, it is business and the FANS support the business, BUT- I do NOT have to like all of the antics. WE do not ! WHATEVER........ ! This fan has been getting tired of this for a long time !

And now i get on my kick of scouting draft prospects and free agents this offseason, although i loved the ravens going to the super bowl more, my 2nd favorite part of the NFL is seeing all the new draftees' come out of college and predicting who the ravens will get

Balt.Bandwagon- Cary is a lose -win siuation. he stays healthy yes. but he draws a lot of flags, gives up a lot of td' and he was 2nd in the league last season at giving up 1st down pass plays.i rather have a DB give up half as many 1st downs and get no picks. then a db who gives up that many 1st downs and gets a couple picks.

I know that Ozzie is a Wizard and a Genius for figuring these things out but I'm not like this scenario at all, how did it ever come to this having so many player on reserve, that's almost a whole team right there

[quote name='easternshore97' timestamp='1360702589' post='1355753']
Do you think Joe just wasn't looking for Dickson? That was his go to guy last year in the 2011 season...or so it seemed.

Given that Boldin and/or Jones likely won't be back, I'd like to see if D. Reed gets a shot. He bulked up pretty good and I'm sure his hands are still what they said they were
[/quote]

Dickson was the go to guy early in the 2011 season. Then Pitta started coming on strong and Dickson started dropping balls.

In 2012, Pitta started where he left off and then there was a stretch where it seemed Cam and/or Joe forgot that there was a TE position. We started using them again and Dickson had a couple more bad drops. Yes, we found him on a few plays during the playoffs (the couple catches he had in the Bowl were tough ... I mean it is like he only catches the ball when he's getting mauled!) but I think there has been something of a loss of trust in Dickson by either Joe or the team as a whole.

Wonder what they'll do with McBean he couldn't possibly play any worse next year than Cody and Maake did this year

[quote name='Baltimore Bandwagon' timestamp='1360701538' post='1355741']
Call me crazy, but... McKinnie is priority #2 in my mind (after Joe of course). What a HUGE difference he made once he was inserted back into the lineup. A one year contract to McKinnie, give our young guys another year of seasoning. Oher has had numerous opportunities, and has proven that he is not nearly as good on the left side. It'd be nice to know if Birk is playing or retiring sometime real soon.
[/quote]

McKinnie ... what an enigma. I can see why you would say that. Do any of us think Joe has this historic post-season without McKinnie stepping in and keeping Joe from getting hit by Freeney/Mathas, Miller/Dummerville and then Aldon Smith? Our O line was brilliant during the stretch that McKinnie got into the lineup and we'd love to see that again.

BUT .... what McKinnie are we going to get rolling into camp? A guy who is AWOL for days, then informs the team he's hurt and shows up weighing in at 400lbs? This basically happened this year and the team chucked him in the dog house. Instead of trying to play his way out of the dog house during practice, he pouted.

Was it Reid going down with injury and then having no choice but to put him in that caused this change going into the playoffs? Was it someone on the player side with clout (Ray) - saying - look, we know he's a pain in the butt, but we need him in there? It worked out perfect ... he was rested and ready to go for the playoffs. So do we sign him and give him the first 15 weeks or so off, so he doesn't fall apart?

So ... I see your point, but he's seems to be a tricky fellow and the FO and coaching staff probably cringe at the thought of dealing with him. Then there is also the issue of what he's going to want in terms of money. I bet he feels the FO jerked him around as far as his 2012 $$$ is concerned, so he's going to want compensation. It will be interesting to see what they do.

[quote name='eek' timestamp='1360704123' post='1355791']
Balt.Bandwagon- Cary is a lose -win siuation. he stays healthy yes. but he draws a lot of flags, gives up a lot of td' and he was 2nd in the league last season at giving up 1st down pass plays.i rather have a DB give up half as many 1st downs and get no picks. then a db who gives up that many 1st downs and gets a couple picks.
[/quote]

You make him out to be Frank Walker, LOL!

To all the fans out there complaining about having to pay Joe what he is due.....
The Browns fan below should give you some perspective. Do we really want to let Joe go and be like those poor souls?
Ozzy will have to make some tough decisions and let a few guys go to pay Flacco but without a QB we are nothing.
Just look at what teams like WAS, INDY, SEA, have done with a quality QB while teams like AZ and KC have good receivers but no QB to throw to them. Pay the man. He has earned every penny. Ozzy will sort it out.

For me the order would be
Joe-obviously
Ellerbe- we need him at MLB with Lewis retired, even if he is resigned I still want Minter, Ogletree or teo with our first if any are available
McKinnie- As soon as he played LT Joe wasn't on his butt, I wanted that line all season, i get the weight concerns but who else will be better at our price range
Williams- Nice Luxury but not a necessity(still got webby, Smith, Grahm, and can pick someone in mid-late as a project)

Say goodbye
Kruger-love his play but with our cap and upshaw and suggs on the roster not a high priority
Reed- Will be missed and will need to be replaced, resign if he will accept reasonable contract-not likely
Kemoeatu/McBean- nice if on low deal but I think they slap in the face this year cody got will motivate him to his potential

[quote name='The Greek' timestamp='1360699904' post='1355702']
arthur jones, mckinnie, ellerbe, kruger and pitta are must keeps. love reed but it all depends on how much per season he will cost the salary cap. yes he is a leader but he does not tackle anymore and has lost a few steps. would love to bring him back but the younger guys have to be the priority.
[/quote]

Can't and won't keep all of them. Only guarantees I think are Pitta, Ellerbe and obviously Flacco. Kruger will demand too much money, which he deserves by the way. Just mad we wasted 2 years, one not playing him and another trying to make him 3-4 lineman. Thr only good think is the comp picks Ozzie will hopefully turn into gold. Should also try to keep Jones as well considering the tender price is pretty low. Something I've noticed is the team has been playing more youth lately. I don't know if its by design or necessity, but I think the team should keep this approach to uncover talent. In the State. Of the Ravens video they said Harbaugh basically had two practices so almost everyone got reps. I think one of the players who could shine from this is Deangelo Tyson. This is going to be a really interesting off season.

First and foremost on the free-agency list is definitely the new Cool Joe. It's the golden rule of protecting the QB coupled with a Super Bowl MVP title that will make him an asset to any team with cap space. There's little doubt in my mind that he will be returning next year; however, with the possibility of a renegotiation fiasco with Q and Vonta, we could be out two key players on offence without even getting into free-agency. I think Jacoby and Torrey are great assets to this team, but they are not number 1 receivers as of yet. We still need that money receiver that will go up and make those plays when everyone's in tight coverage. So even if Q is released, we would still need a money receiver to add onto the roster in that number 1 spot. I don't believe we have the talent in receivers yet to bump everyone up on the depth chart, and what good is paying Joe millions if he has no one to throw the ball to. Birk is still good enough for one more year, but doubtful he would return. I mean, why would he? Retiring a Super Bowl champion isn't something easily repeatable. Gino Gradkowski could hold down the fort if the rest of the line can continue to be as potent as they are. Then comes the question of Bryant McKinnie, who had a great performance in the post-season, but cannot be trusted to perform in the future. I guess that can be said about any player; but, in his case, I'd bet on him going back to his old tricks of weight problems and injuries.
Flipping the table to the defence is another conundrum all together. We're seeing so many people up on the free-agent block that the team may need to consider cutting their losses and rebuilding this and next off-season. After all, aren't we running on the philosophy that the offence is the wave of the future. Cary can go, Webb will be back next year along side Graham. If Brown and Jimmy Smith can fill in the depth, we should be fine on CB. Safeties will be an issue, since Reed isn't worth bringing back. Now, before anyone tears me a new one I want to clarify that Ed Reed is still a great player. His game IQ is massive, he reads the QB better than anyone I've seen; but, he is not the youngster he used to be. If New England can breath life into his autumn years, then good on him. They need all the help they can get on defence. As for the LB situation, if Suggs and Ngata can return to their former glory as beasts among defensive players, then Kruger can go with no real harm done to the team. Kruger was really just picking up the slack for a lack of production from Suggs. Ellerbe, to me, is a must save. He has that Ray Lewis voice in his head that he can draw on for inspiration. He's turned out to be a beast of an ILB even with two broken thumbs, knee, back, and other ailments. Jameel McLean will hopefully be back next year to add to the LB situation.
It will be hard to see this many people go; but, as I mentioned before, Oz is well, he's Oz. He's more magic than man and he has given us so much talent from places talent seekers never thought to look. If we loose some people, he'll find us more. Just don't go loosing Pitta, Flacco, Ellerbe, and Boldin; and see if you can keep Art Jones around too, I see big things out of that man.

Clarification: I know Ngata is a DT before people say anything. I realized after I read my post that it may seem like I'm calling him a LB

I think the NFL should seriously look into setting an upper limit of the salary for any individual player. For example, no player can command more than 1/8 (or 1/10 or something like that) of the salary cap limit of the entire team. It does not make sense to have a cap for the team, but not for the individual player.

Look theres no way Joe Flacoo is leaving [plain and simple0. Theres a little saying going around, once a Raven always a Raven. They will work something out at some point where he wont break the bank too much and well be able to have a little wiggle room in some way shape or form. Id love to Keep Ed Reed but Im not sure if thats going to happen or work out for both sides but Im confident hell be back, if not maybe time for Omar Brown to step up? For the buisness side not everyone can stay and Retire a Raven not matter how muchtheyd like to. Paul Kruger, Danelle Ellerbe ,Carry Williams, and AnQuan Boldin are all must haves but the reality of buisness is that we cant keep them all. I beleive well retain Boldin in some way and dont forget about J Mcclain the ILB (hell be back). I wont be surprised if we dont have Ellerbe, Williams, or Kruger on the roster come next season. Kruger is an elite pass Rusher but there are others like him either in the draft or via Free Agency but he will be dearly missed. Ellerebe is a very good ILB but very replacable. Well be able to Feild a very good team next year I promise.

All I know is it took this long to find a pass rusher opposite from Suggs! If we score this many points we are gonna need pass rushers!

Lots of cap issues and question marks, and worse still is the fact that the two teams with the most cap room in the entire NFL are AFC North teams Cincinnati and Cleveland. If Linta gets his way the Ravens will be lucky to keep anybody besides Flacco and may have to jettison Boldin as well.

If you thought previous offseasons were bad, this may be twice as ugly. Having to part ways with vets like gregg, mason, and heap is nothing compared to letting young guns(ellerbe, kruger, or williams) go. hopefully only 1 guy has to go but everything we do revolves around joe. we will see.

Kruger will be gone.
williams will be gone too.
Birk will retire in couple weeks.
bobby will be cut or retire too.
reed if he doesn't like the ravens offer he will b signed by another team like pats. don't be suprised if FO let reed go, their focus is Flacco right now.
Flacco will be tagged
Ellerbe- is the most critical piece of the D. needs to be signed after FLacco.
ihedigbo- the guy is like a clone of Pollard, but because of the cap he might not return. would love to see him a raven this season.
Mckinnie- is tricky, he played pretty good in post-season, but will that happen for whole season, if gets his mind and attitude right he will be a raven.
Kemo- will be gone
mcbean could replace Kemo.
leach-could b gone. hope they extend his contract
JJ-hope they extend his contract, so they wouldn't have to cut him.
boldin- he's like the spark of our offense. hopefully FO finds a way to extend his contract. most teams would love to have him like pats or Cincinnati.
chris johnson will be kept for depth
considine for depth too at right price
bajema is gone.
the only RFAs i would keep are art jones, Pitta, Cox.

I know this won't be popular and don't misunderstand what I'm about to say, I love Joe. But if we put the non exclusive tag on Joe and the Chiefs take him I wouldn't be too upset. We could afford to re-sign more people and give Ozzie 4 number one picks over the next two seasons including this years number 1 pick. Man if we traded back and got more picks. Draft Eric Reid and Minter in the first. Or get Geno Smith. That would be pretty awesome. I would be happy either way.

A much as I'd like to say we have must keep FA's. Ozzie proves me wrong every year. Flacco, Pitta, Ed Reed, Ellerbe and Kruger is who I would like but I have my complete faith that the front office will take care of business.

Flacco (obviously),
Ellerbeast,
and Boldin are a MUST !
*(McKinnie- if it works out)

yeah,RF4L52, we could get KC's first picks this year and next and we could get Tebow to be our QB. plus we could sign just about all our free agents.

If Kruger doesn't stay, then I hope he leaves after Cary Williams has cleaned out his locker!

Hate to think we lose a solid guy in Kruger and pay a marginal, immature player like Williams as deep as we are at Corner!!!

LOL @ Sami,.... stop playin', lady!

Defense was 20th overall. With the exception of Ellerbe , probably better off letting guys go. The only way to keep Reed is to cut good players like McLain. And even after that you have guys like Pitta who needs to be resigned. Leach sets up Rice and is best short yardage back but probably can't resign. Thank God they want the Superbowl this year cause if they did not, the Cap situation would destroy opporunites going forward.

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1360714108' post='1355975']
yeah,RF4L52, we could get KC's first picks this year and next and we could get Tebow to be our QB. plus we could sign just about all our free agents.
[/quote]

... and we would still have enough cap space left to snatch Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson.

bio

Well, we all know Flacco isn't going anywhere. He WILL be in a Ravens uniform next season.

I think we will sign Ellerbe, ILB's don't get paid a ton of money, so that wouldn't be that big of a deal for us. Kruger is going to be very tough to keep, and i don't think we can keep him. He will get a lot of money thrown his way, and not from us. Reed is the same way, if hometown love doesn't work, then he will be gone. Cary Williams is going to be gone, but let's be honest, is anyone going to be sad about that??? I would like to see us sign McKinnie back for atleast one more year. If he can come into camp in shape, then he could do very well next season. He just has a big question mark on his belly. I would like to see us keep Jame Ihedigbo, I think he can really contribute to our D somehow, and i would like to see what McBean can do, he never got a chance and im sure he couldn't do any worse than Cody and Kemoeatu.

Either way, our FO has a lot of work to do. But it all starts with Flacco. I have faith that they will field another playoff team next season.

[quote name='RF4L52' timestamp='1360713439' post='1355967']
I know this won't be popular and don't misunderstand what I'm about to say, I love Joe. But if we put the non exclusive tag on Joe and the Chiefs take him I wouldn't be too upset. We could afford to re-sign more people and give Ozzie 4 number one picks over the next two seasons including this years number 1 pick. Man if we traded back and got more picks. Draft Eric Reid and Minter in the first. Or get Geno Smith. That would be pretty awesome. I would be happy either way.
[/quote]

Tell you why it won't happen: The Chiefs won't be interested in Flacco, mainly for three resons:

- Scarificing the #1 pick for a QB who's not universally accpeted as an "elite" QB would be more than scandallous in the fans and their experts' eyes IMHO.

- They are in about the same cap situation as we are. They'll be better of in that respect, but they won't have a ton of free cap space to offer to Flacco

- They know that they don't have the weapon to utilize Flacco's deep passes. The Chiefs acquiring Flacco would be like buying a Ferrari in a country that only has dirt roads - and a 30 mph speed limit: makes no real sense.

No, only franchises that have the weapons for Flacco to utilize PLUS the sufficient cap space should even be mentioned, let alone seriously considered. I see 2 such teams: the Bengals, and the Bucs. The Browns have the cap space, but have no weapons. The Colts and the Dolphins also have the cap space, but have QB's they are satisfied with and, in all fairiness, the Bengals should also be i that category. And while Flacco would evidently be an upgrade from the likes of Tannehill or Dalton - that alone wouldn't warrant acquiring a very expensive player, IMHO.

bio