Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/12: Could The Ravens Lose Joe Flacco?

149 posts in this topic

Suggs to get second opinion on arm. Kiper expects Ravens to target ILB. Leach hopes to avoid surgery.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-212-Could-The-Ravens-Lose-Joe-Flacco/358ce28a-7e29-461c-b2b8-04215bfb370d]View the full article[/url]

I hope Flacco is a team player. i just hope he is not the type of player that will leave the team in debt to build around him to go at another Superbowl. you deserve to get pay Flacco, just dont take the team for every cent.

Lets just get Flacco's deal done that is gonna be fair to both sides. That way we don't have to play the "what if" game.

None of this is new to us. Anyone who watched our press conference know what the variables are. Ozzie's stated that priority 1 is getting a fair deal with Flacco. If that "fair deal" isn't attainable before the deadline, then so be it - they are not going to sign a deal they believe is bad for the team just to get in before the deadline.

If we fail to reach a deal, Ozzie's comments seemed to suggest that he felt if we used the tag non-exclusive tag, someone would come get him. Therefore, I have to think that we'll use the exclusive tag and suffer the consequences as it relates to the rest of the roster. I think the specter of the Browns or some other cap rich/QB poor team swooping in is almost zero.

So - this really comes down to whether the notion of "fair" for both sides of this negotiation is close or not. If it is close, I am hoping that Joe steps in and says ... "good enough, let's get this done so the team can go about its business of securing the players that surround me".

biggest difference between flacco and matt ryan is flacco has a lot more playoff wins and oh yeah, a superbowl ring baby!!.

OMG if the Browns acquired both Wallace and Flac that would be bad news! We definitely need Flac more than ever!

The answer is NO !
Flacco will get he's deal.
Boldin does not need anything, he still has a year on his contract, He's not going anywhere.

The only person drooling at the prospect of $35 million from Cleveland is Joe Linta. Flacco has to realize he's better off with a contender, which the Ravens are. He said himself he wanted to be a Raven for life.

Anyone who thinks Flacco is going somewhere else is a complete idiot. Ossie doesn't make stupid moves like that.

We can't afford to lose our defense. We need Joe on offense to win. Joe needs a solid defense behind him to win. The balance is essential to win the championship.

back loaded contract in years 3-5 will help this team because the salary cap is increasing and suggs and ngata will either retire or be released in another 3 years which will free up a ton of $$. a back loaded contract will also allow us to retain kruger and ellerbe

Flacco isnt going anywhere, if the FO offered him a Top 5 contract last year you better believe they're offering more now. Plus Flacco seems like a guy who is happy where he is, and would probably take less to be with a winner in B more rather than a loser in Cleveland.

Wish and hope all you want Peter King, Flacco wants to be in Baltimore, Baltimore wants Flacco, he is not going anywhere.

People are drawn to the Ravens because they see "down to earth" guys facing struggles that we all can relate to. They meet these challanges head on time after time, even if they fall short, they never quit. In a crazy world facing daunting obsticles, this example inspires us. It helps us teach such lessons to our children who can use this to succeed. Is the Ravens the new "America's team"? No, They are the "Peoples Champions".

Thank you for being who you are, never change.

GO RAVENS!

Joe is never leaving Baltimore even if we pay him $20 million a year from here on out! We could have signed him before the season began and saved a million or two. I say that we should do the deal sooner rather than wait!

Don't start praising Joe now Florio. The bandwagons full, you're the last person I'd want on it.

Flacco tends to get hot at the right time and makes a couple key plays to get the W. Ryan is generally hot in the first half and almost disappears for the second, only to try to come back in the last minute. Matt Ryan's way produces nice stats. No one can tell from a stat sheet, that Joe scrambled for 16 yrds in KC to seal the victory for us, but it shows up in the Win/Loss column.
Caldwell's play calling might change that a bit. Flaccos talent for making key plays to seal victories became more apparent in the playoffs. Getting the game into OT against Denver, ripping NE apart in the second half, making bold calls in the Superbowl to slow down the 49ers comeback? That's Joe doing, what Joe does.

Honestly if Joes agent gets so greedy that it will rip the core of this team apart, meaning we will go 6-10 next year, 2 top 10 picks from Cleveland sounds nice (they always suck no matter what).

I dont want Joe gone but this contract thing is gonna get absurd, especially to see names such as Boldin, Leach, Ellerbe, Kruger and Reed having to be gone just to make room for 1 persons contract.

"The Ravens are strapped for cash - King says they are actually $5 million over the salary cap right now"

What? Where did that figure come from? Reports I have seen have us at 17M under the cap (when accounting for the cap relief from Ray's retirement). Granted, that only includes 42 roster players, so the cap will grow when we fill the roster out to the "rule of 51". But how that would increase our cap by 22M, I have no idea.

*************** update

From Brian McFarland (Feb 8): "After re-signing 7 players from their PS this week, the Ravens have 49 players under contract for 2013 for a Cap commitment of $111.137M"

... so that would up my number from my earlier comment (from 42 to 49) and I really don't think the 111M includes the 4.3M that will come off due the Ray's retirement. I read King's article and he provides no explanation why his number is some 20M off of the rest of the world.

If they can get a deal with Ray Rice, Ngata and Suggs right when its most needed then they can definitely get one done with Flacco. Just be patient I say.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I believe Joe will get a long-term deal done without creating a critical cap hit. He seems like the kind of guy that understands he has to have a team around him in order to be a successful ball club.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]With that being said, I don't see Joe Flacco creating the issue so much as I see perhaps his agent creating it. I'm sure Linta is a great guy and all, and I understand that it's his job to sell his product (in this case, Joe); but there were times even I, a huge Flacco supporter, was gawking at some of the things he was saying.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As Ozzie said, everyone will look at what happened these last few months and base Flacco's salary on that, but he will be looking at the entire duration of his entire rookie contract.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Joe will get his $100 Million, the question is: how soon? 5-Years? Doubtful. 7-Years, most likely. Averaging about $14 Million a year for seven-years, not a bad deal if you ask me. At that point, all that's left is the 'guarantees'.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Don't worry my fellow Ravens; we're going to be all right. Joe's staying for a long time. No fear.[/i][/font]

I think we will get this done. They were very close last year, and i think things will pick up right where they left off. I just hope his agent doesn't get to greedy. I think Joe knows what is best for this team, and if he wants to keep his best reciever, and a probowl fullback, and get atleat a few key pieces back on D, then he will get this done. He def will not leave Baltimore, even if the deal didn't get done, i think he would wait as long as possible to give us a chance to sign him, and I don't think that is gonna happen because we would put the big tag on him. Hopefully his deal is spread out for about 6 to 7 years, instead of 100 over 5. But i don't care what we do, i just hope we sign him before March 4th.

I see too many comments with statements like "I don't see Joe Flacco creating the issue so much as I see perhaps his agent creating it..." or "If Joes agent gets so greedy that it will rip the core of this team apart ..."

I think one thing needs to be clear ... Joe is responsible for Joe's agent. If Joe doesn't like what Joe's agent is doing, he has the power to step in and change course. At the end of the day, the net result of the negotiation is up to Joe and not Joe's agent.

The Front Office has no one but themselves to blame. They should of had his contract restructured 2 years ago to a long term deal. They hedged there bet and lost. They will now have to pay him big $$$ and he deserves it.