Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] 10 Biggest Offseason Questions

126 posts in this topic

The Ravens have a number of offseason questions after winning Super Bowl XLVII.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/10-Biggest-Offseason-Questions/b28fbb78-f92b-45fc-b489-5077fbfd5a71]View the full article[/url]

does signing bonuses count towards salary cap? can they give them signing bonuses and min. vets salary

Man o man I wouldn't want to be in Ozzie's shoes right now,this off season will separate the men from the boys for sure, a lot of teams are paying attention to the Raven's rejected this off season

Ray Lewis' retirement should give us some breathing room right? but Purple nd Black is right...

Uhm uhm good thing im not ozzie, erick, dick, john and steve lmao :Dancing_Banana_Homer_by_zorkky: . Only thing i can contribute are my opinions lol.
Joe Flacco will be the leader of the team cause he produces in major games unlike Ray Rice needs to stop fumbling in the playoffs lol really man. Also Pierce had an 100X better playoff play then our rice

I remember reading that if the FO doesn't Franchise Joe E-Lite, then they will not use the F/T at all? Am I correct in having read that?

1. I wonder why the FO would sorta "tip their hand" so to speak, especially in reference to Kruger and Ellerbe's pending contracts? Wouldn't it be prudent have the tag available?

2. We have some bright stars on the horizon in Upshaw, Jackson on Dee and Doss and Pierce on Oh, I suppose what we're hearing is we're going to give them a chance to mature before our next strong run at the SB!

One thing I'm sure about: we'll have an interesting team next year, probably another winning one (although the schedule is really nasty), and we'll support it with the same passion.

Oh, and considering that Matt Birk does more than typical Centers do, it's a good shot that Gino Gradkowski, his heir-apparent, will be up to the task?

I can't wait to win it all again this upcoming season! The motivation should be what Jacoby Jones was saying: "I want everybody to go back to sleep on us like they did already."!! Go Ravens!!! :)

[quote name='omar586' timestamp='1360603085' post='1354459']
does signing bonuses count towards salary cap? can they give them signing bonuses and min. vets salary
[/quote]

Yes, signing bonuses count but not in the same way. Bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contract (or 5 years, whichever is less). A $20 million bonus on a 5 year contract would "count" $4 million against the cap each year.

You can bet 31 other teams will be paying attention to who we keep and who we let go. They remind me of my dogs at the kitchen table just waiting for something to fall...

@Omar586: I believe you can't give a signing bonus to any of the players on the existing roster even if they restructure or extend their contract. You can only give to to a player that is acquired newly.

Well atleast we won't have a boring offseason. Things will be done to this team that will change it drastically, and we will be happy about some and sad about others, but we just have to trust the FO. But no matter what, the Ravens are going to look very different next season.

Does and Williams together couldn't fill one of Anquan's shoes let alone both of them. If that were to be our plan upon releasing Boldin it would be a huge mistake.

[quote name='Chewi28' timestamp='1360606076' post='1354531']
Does and Williams together couldn't fill one of Anquan's shoes let alone both of them. If that were to be our plan upon releasing Boldin it would be a huge mistake.
[/quote]

Agreed! If you have to pick another offensive MVP during the playoffs other than Joe my vote would be Boldin. The guy made so many plays to keep drives going and was unstoppable in the endzone.

O line - I actually hope Birk retires, because I think we'll be releasing him if he plans to play on. It is just a much better way for him to bow out.

McKinnie is a major head-scratcher. Our o-line was infinitely improved with him in the lineup, but what will his demands for a contract be? I think he'll try to use his post-season performance to grab one last payday and it will be too rich for us (and besides, I think the organization is weary from his approach to the sport).

So, if I then assume that McKinnie will go, who takes LT? Are the Ravens finally going to give up on Oher being an LT? I don't know that we can expect to draft a starting LT and given our cap issues, we can't get one through FA ... so what then? I have felt there is a possibility that the team moves KO to that position, but I've not heard anyone mention that as a possibility.

Ngata is the highest paid Raven. then Reed and then Flacco. Ray Lewis is 5th so him being gone may help, but i dont think to the extent we all thought it would

Keep in mind Ravensnation, although we may have to let some beloved players go, there are quite a few teams that are going to have to release some players as well (cough Steelers cough)..We are not alone. Just remember we have the best GM and front office in the league. Trust in Ozzie!

I dont want to see anyone go,but at the same time Im still kind of excited about what transpires.I was worried especially about the season just gone by with JJ,Cory Redding etc leaving,but from now on il trust Ozzie and the gang.Plus Webb will be back,and Suggs should recover fully.Ray Lewis,while still a great reader of what the offence was doing,was slowing up gradually and he can be replaced by someone with alot more speed.

Keep in mind this player if we can't resign Paul Kruger: Margus Hunt!

Why not put Upshaw in the Middle?

I wonder how much money Reed would be sacrificing in retirement from local appearances and signings if he leaves for the next 2 years? Especially since the 2 top teams that I see going after him would be NE or INDY. Would that hurt his local reputation in Baltimore or would we all understand? I would also love to have him as a coach once he retires and he has mentioned a desire to do so. Would we see him differently? I hope we never have to find out.

I believe the Ravens are going to shock us with some moves that nobody is expecting. I believe they are gonna dump Suggs. He is 30 years old and coming of achilles tendon surgery. Nobody can predict whether he ever returns to his 2011 form. His cap number is too large to take a chance on him