Schedule      Roster     

Photo

[News] Late For Work 2/11: 'Seismic Changes' Could Be Coming To Offset Salary Cap Crunch

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,052 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Kruger wants to stay in Baltimore. Ravens repeat? 'Why not?' Williams not fined for pushing ref.

View the full article

#2 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

We've got our work cut out for us, teams that go to the Super Bowl usually don't go back the next year.

#3 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I highly doubt Boldin or Leach will be released.Why would we tear down our offense to build up our defense?

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 11 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#4 RavenAllDay

RavenAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think it's a testament to FO, coaches, and players that you have so many players speaking out about how they want to stay in B-More. Obviously, we would love to keep the team in tact entirely, but we know that won't happen. I just think there's something special about this team that makes these guys want to stay.

#5 10000 Watts

10000 Watts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Jacoby Jones nailed it: "I want everybody to go back to sleep on us like they did already." Go Ravens!!! :)

#6 Elixxur

Elixxur

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Cut Cary Williams first then trade Dixon for some draft picks. =) That's one way I'd start.

#7 ravens7575

ravens7575

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

If we're going to renegotiate even one veteran, it HAS to be Boldin. I want Flacco to have some decent continuity with his receivers and Boldin is absolutely vital for that. Other than that, let Ozzie work his magic

#8 Ravensfan4life2010

Ravensfan4life2010

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

leach will most likely get cut which will lead us to draft a TE/FB player save some cap space. Additionaly Ed Reed is gone for sure cause i believe the FO knows that he has been contemplating retirement for years now and i believe he didnt retire last year because of Ray Lewis. Thirdly boldin will get restructured, kruger and Ellerbe will get resigned.
Jacoby Jones hit it on the nail receivers they dont know about; tommy streeter, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, Laquan Williams these are guys that barely got on the field. We must not forget of a ray rice clone bobby rainey. We are stacked on offense. Birk will retire, Might resign McKinne, but we need to draft a LT cause Oher must stay at RT he is solid there
My .02 Cents

#9 Ravensfan4life2010

Ravensfan4life2010

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I agree with @Elixxur we will will trade dixon to Philidelphia cause they want him and he plays the offense and went to Oregon with there new head coach

#10 BAM52

BAM52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Prepare for a down year next year. But at least we won the Super Bowl. Hate to see Boldin go but 7 million in Cap is alot. He was such a beast and we would not have won the Super Bowl without his vise grip hands!

#11 Elixxur

Elixxur

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't think Birk is going to retire, he said he wants to milk this out. Whatever the hell that means, but imo he should retire. We need the cap space :P lol As long as we have Graham, Smith and Webb we should be fine. It'd be nice if Reed stayed he's my second fav player after uncle ray ray.

#12 Dumbo of Rome

Dumbo of Rome

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Tough offseason. A lot has to change and will change. But the players who will leave will always remain in our heart. This has been the most wonderful season and none of these players will be ever forgotten by us.
As for Kruger, a lot will depend on the Flacco deal, but also on what the coaches see in McAdoo, Hamilton, Carr, and what we expect to come our way in the draft.

#13 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I am preparing early for us to have a let down year. I don't want it to happen, and it may turn out to be another great season, but it is notoriously difficult to repeat as Super Bowl champs, and I think we face all of the typical challenges, and perhaps even more, that the past Super Bowl winners who struggled the following year had faced after their magic seasons ended. Cap hell, retiring players, free agents, plus we have to resign our QB to a much more expensive contract that will top the scales of NFL history... It will be very tough. 6 straight years of success is very, very difficult to do as well.

Other than the 2002-2010 Colts, the last team to make the playoffs six straight seasons was 1993-1998 Packers. Not even the Brady era Patriots have gone six straight seasons.

And you know, Flacco has won a playoff game in each of the past 5 seasons.... Do you know how many quarterbacks have ever won a playoff game in 6 straight seasons? Zero. NONE. If we win a playoff game next year with Flacco it will be new NFL history, he will be the first player ever to do that.

#14 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

We have a great future ahead of us. We will be going into the season with another tough schedule. I really want us to beat the Steelers twice, too. Next January, we will be right back in the hunt.

#15 kandoll

kandoll

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I believe there will be "seismic changes" this off season but i believe it will be mostly the FO not resigning older players. With Lewis(37) and probably Birk(36) retiring plus not resigning Kemo(34), Chris Johnson(33), S Considine(30), B Bajema(30), R Brown(29), and J Ihedigbo(29). Also cut Bobbie Williams(36). By doing this alone we are starting a youth movement. Also we probably wont be able to afford kruger and C williams so we wont resign them. Thats 11 players which is about a 1/5 of the roster gone but each one of these players either were not starters or we have someone waiting in the wings.
Birk=Gino Cary=Jimmy Kruger=Upshaw Ray L= Ellerbe(if we can resign him)

#16 Tristan S.

Tristan S.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

@kandoll I agree with you, however, by all means we should try and re-sign Kruger. If we get a healthy Suggs on the other side of the line, then in any passing situation, Kruger is going to be 1-on-1 with a team's RT. He could have a HUGE year, and while Upshaw is money in Run D, Kruger on passing downs is lethal

#17 Valid1

Valid1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Nothing "seismic" will happen. Kruger will be lost to free agency, he wasn't a force on the team until this year and is at best a middle of the road pass rusher, very replaceable. Cary Williams is gone and that is a good thing for our defense. Ellerbe will probably be signed because it won't be too expensive to do so. Reed is gone unless he takes a huge pay cut, which he likely won't, so I guess that is big but not unexpected. Flacco will be signed or franchised. Some vets will be restructured and extended, most likely Suggs and Boldin. That's about it, the only people I could see them cutting outright are Jacoby Jones, very unlikely with the year he just had, and McClain, not sure how much that would help the cap. There are no world shifting changes coming to Baltimore. Its going to be a lot like the year we dropped Gregg, Heap, and Mason and were improved because of it.

#18 kandoll

kandoll

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

@Tristan S. I agree with you 100% but i heard kruger wants 8-10 million a year. We can't afford that with our current cap situation so i see Kruger walking in free agency. I see us drafting someone who could push upshaw in training camp and come in to be a situational pass rusher when needed.

Does anyone really know where we stand on the salary cap?
i heard we are over the cap but then i heard we are 9.5 under and saw we were 12.5 under on another site.

#19 NaughtLow

NaughtLow

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Hope it works out that way kandoll. Obviously keeping Kruger would be nice but it seems basically impossible. Let's hope Boldin and Jacoby are still on the team too!

#20 4evermore23

4evermore23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I like our young guys we may lose some pieces but reality its time for them to go we have to get yonger some teams like the steelers and patriots r getting younger and its our time i like adrian hamilton as a pass rusher mcadoo should b back hes pretty good we got nigel carr asa jackson, tommy streetrer the young guys we drafted and thru free agency i belive will step up i love our young guys and expect big things...keep playing like a raven going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users