Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Teams were ready to "steal" Joe Flacco

97 posts in this topic

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/10/teams-were-contemplating-a-franchise-tag-run-at-flacco-before-the-postseason/"]http://profootballta...the-postseason/[/url]

Before the playoffs even started and Flacco was only an "average" quarterback in most people's eyes, Teams were ready to give up 2 1st round picks and a ton of cap space to sign Flacco.

Just shows how ungrateful people are. Least everyone knows the truth now.

We knew what we had in Flacco even before this season started. The people that hate on him hate on everybody.

This is why we must come to some agreement on a long term contract and not using the Franchise Tag for $20 Million. I would hate to put the non-exclusive tag on him just because it is cheaper and risk losing him.

i'm not gonna lie, i am one that rode Joe hard this past season and probably will do it again next if he plays like garbage. lol! but i did it because i knew Joe could be a great QB and wanted to see him play like one badly but he wasn't demonstrating it (at times) on a consistent basis. sure, a lot of that was due to Cam handcuffing him and holding him back and the 0-line stinking up the joint earlier in the season until they shuffled them around. once they did that...Joe started picking defenses apart! so now, i am happy for Joe Flacco getting all of the props and praise he deserves. congrats on the MVP Joe and next season....we get to do it all over again! let's go Joe!

~Mili

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1360528183' post='1353186']
[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/10/teams-were-contemplating-a-franchise-tag-run-at-flacco-before-the-postseason/"]http://profootballta...the-postseason/[/url]

Before the playoffs even started and Flacco was only an "average" quarterback in most people's eyes, Teams were ready to give up 2 1st round picks and a ton of cap space to sign Flacco.

[/quote]

I knew this. Teams that ride the QB carousel get sick from the ride and will eventually make the necessary moves to get a QB (Mortaging the future).

Their are plenty of teams that would love to have a winning young Qb on their team. Some teams are really only missing that piece to be a contender. That is why a steep price is worth it.

Who didn't know it was going to cost us a ton to keep Joe. Everybody knows that you can't win if you don't have a front line QB. Some people in this town may not know just what we have in Flacco, but there are 31 other teams that do. Keep this in mind the cap baloons in 2015. If we can keep Joe's cap number under control till then we will be ok. Joe has to realize it too, and he wants to win just as bad as anyone. With a high price QB, Ozzie and Steve will have to learn what NE's, Green Bays and NO's FO has had to learn. How to build a winner with one player taking up 20% of the cap. Draft picks will become even more important. Lucky for us we have the wizard of OZ.

It really hit me earlier this weekend once we got rid of Cam joe won the SB AND was the MVP.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1360530677' post='1353220']
This is why we must come to some agreement on a long term contract and not using the Franchise Tag for $20 Million. I would hate to put the non-exclusive tag on him just because it is cheaper and risk losing him.
[/quote]
Sorry I meant to give you a positive vote.

Teams are ready to steal him to make up for the fact they can't find their own Franchise QB so they want to steal someone else's franchise quarterback. So essentially we could lose Joe because of some teams inability to not find Franchise quarterbacks.

First comment I agree with "some teams like who?"
The scenario just lists that if the downs wanted to screw Baltimore over they could but it doesn't mean they would

There's nothing to really worry about, Flacco will be a Raven. If Ozzie has to slap the exclusive on him at the cost of losing Kruger, Williams, Reed, McKinnie etc then he's going to do it. But Flacco will be a Raven for the next 5+ years.

It is interesting to note that teams were ready to put all their chips into the Flacco camp even though the media thought he was nothing more than middling QB.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1360530476' post='1353217']
We knew what we had in Flacco even before this season started. The people that hate on him hate on everybody.
[/quote]

I dunno. I was really afraid when we went through that bad stretch that Joe had reached his ceiling. As I recall, he had quite a few turnovers down that stretch, a few strip sacks, just not good. I can honestly say I never once put it all on Joe, but at the time I was really questioning his awareness and not super-optimistic about his ceiling.

So whether that's "hate" I don't know. I was never really sure. Now, it seems pretty clear to me that he is a guy that, given protection, is every bit as good as any other QB in the league. Whether those strip-sack issues will show up again, or he'll have more games where he can't find a rhythm, well, probably. But, to be fair, even the greats aren't great every game.

Phil Simms said it best on Inside the NFL, when he said that what he learned after the Super Bowl is that it's amazing how many people can't admit they were wrong about Joe Flacco. It's laughable to hear so called experts say that if you were to re-draft, Flacco still would be taken in the top 10 of QBs.

The best of Flacco has yet to come. I've expected huge seasons from Flacco the last two year and while he's shown flashes, lack of a OC that schemes well has hurt him. He's at flaut as well, but we've seen enough from Joe under Caldwell to get a good idea that Cam has held him back. I expect Flacco to really shine next year, I mean regular season MVP type shine. No that's not super bowl excitement talking as I also predicted Flacco Super Bowl run. I just think he's reached that level where he expects to be the best player on the field at all times and his players feel the same way.

I reallyy enjoy watching Sound FX and other wired shows because players let you know what they really feel on the sidelines and opposing players really showed Flacco respect. It'll be interesting to see where Flacco will rank on the Top 100 this year and who will talk about him. Talking heads might not still respect Flacco or they might continue to say the Ravens need to run the ball to be successful, but players, coaches and other personnel around the NFL knows Flacco is a STUD.

Good thing the Ravens know it too.

Anybody remember the comments by an "unnamed opposing coach" that he'd be shocked if Flacco had a breakout year? OK, the season was "meh" statistically - until it really counted. :D

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1360528183' post='1353186']

[/quote]
Kinda means nothing. They dont list teams obviously, but they really dont give us much in terms of making us think this was gonna happen. Even if it is true, this could just be something a divisional rival is throwing out there in order to force us into using the exclusive tag.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360535050' post='1353329']
There's nothing to really worry about, Flacco will be a Raven. If Ozzie has to slap the exclusive on him at the cost of losing Kruger, Williams, Reed, McKinnie etc then he's going to do it. But Flacco will be a Raven for the next 5+ years.

It is interesting to note that teams were ready to put all their chips into the Flacco camp even though the media thought he was nothing more than middling QB.
[/quote]

I dunno how long he'll be liking his job if they start trading away his oline.

I can easily think of more teams that would want Flacco than teams that would not.

[quote name='plesiosaur' timestamp='1360539757' post='1353475']
I dunno how long he'll be liking his job if they start trading away his oline.
[/quote]
Well it's just the one piece at LT with McKinnie. However I guess McKinnie has informally talked with Harbaugh about returning. But there are going to be new faces in positions again, new young kids. Don't be surprised if we go with Reid at LG again, for some reason the FO likes him there...

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1360540520' post='1353521']
Off topic, but LOL at the comments. Some of those guys are just dumb!!!
[/quote]

Even more damning is how often the dumbest comments get the most thumbs ups. I can't stand that site.

I stopped going to PFT. Hack writers and miserable commenters don't deserve my time/traffic

I hate reading comments where people say "Most of the people in Baltimore wanted him gone mid season last year".

It just really makes me mad.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1360541614' post='1353588']
I stopped going to PFT. Hack writers and miserable commenters don't deserve my time/traffic
[/quote]
+1000000000. Seriously. Everyone who posts on that site are trolls it seems. Whether that's the writers or commenters

Yep. I hope Flacco doesn't even get to the tag. I'm optimistic we get it worked out and avoid that situation.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1360544163' post='1353737']
I hate reading comments where people say "Most of the people in Baltimore wanted him gone mid season last year".

[/quote]

Those people are ridiculous anyway. They're probably the same people that keep claiming Eli Manning only has 2 Superbowl rings because he's lucky. Most people discredit Joe because he doesn't put up numbers, and that's their only argument against him.

The thing that amuses me about fans is the way some of us say things like "I was just critical of him so he would play better" as though that had any impact on his play. Silly rabbits.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360535050' post='1353329']

[/quote]

That's because smart teams and smart GMs actually understand the concept that if the offensive playcalling is bad, the quarterback will look bad. Seems like most fans and media types have yet to grasp this fact.

So perhaps I'm way off base here, but, wouldn't Flacco have to agree to any deal offered? I really don't think he WANTS to leave Baltimore.

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1360544163' post='1353737']

[/quote]

It should make you mad, because it's true. And these people go on other websites and call in to radio shows and are representing Ravens fans on a national level.
It embarrasses me, because I don't want to be judged as another "whiny, simple-minded Ravens fan."

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1360592635' post='1354278']
So perhaps I'm way off base here, but, wouldn't Flacco have to agree to any deal offered? I really don't think he WANTS to leave Baltimore.
[/quote]

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that's the thing most people are missing in this - yes KC could pay him a ton and would probably give up 2 first rounders, but while they have nice pieces, I don't see why Joe would leave a team that is going to be a Superbowl contender for the next several years to jump on board another rebuilding project.

I don't know. There's a point to be made that I think Joe likes it here. He's the kind of man who seems content with what he has. He doesn't seem extravagant. I feel that's a big reason why he returns. I feel comfortable putting the non-exclusive tag on him. I don't think he would leave, and it would allow other teams to set his price. Then again, we do run the risk of losing him. That would be devastating.

With that said, people use the argument that Flacco would want to play for a SB contender. That's true, but I can say the Chiefs could be a SB contender. They have an excellent defense. They have some promising players on offense. They are not a bad football team. They lack a franchise QB. Same for the Browns. Browns have a great team, lack a QB.

These are not bad teams. They are all talented and miss one piece to make them truly competitive. I think people miss that. Just because they are bottom feeders does not mean Flacco would exclude them. I wouldn't if I was him. I would think I can go there and make those teams better.

With that said, we don't know how any other team's locker room & FO are outside of Baltimore, and THAT is a difference maker.

[quote name='msufan' timestamp='1360532970' post='1353282']
It really hit me earlier this weekend once we got rid of Cam joe won the SB AND was the MVP.
[/quote]

Of course, we were shouting it on these forums for the past few years.
It will be interesting to see how Cam does next year.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1360530677' post='1353220']
[/quote]

Crap I didn't mean to neg that comment!

I really see Flacco deal getting done before March 4th. Both sides seem amicable. The bulk of the work was done last offseason so the only issue is money and the structure of the deal. I don't see the tag getting used on Flacco.

I laughed at the notion that Flacco would go to the Browns. Really? :P There is a 0% chance he's leaving us. He wouldn't downgrade so far. The only thing I'm concerned about is the [i][b]amount[/b][/i] of money he gets and how it will affect everything else.

[quote name='Tiz' timestamp='1360534496' post='1353320']
First comment I agree with "some teams like who?"
The scenario just lists that if the downs wanted to screw Baltimore over they could but it doesn't mean they would
[/quote]

Jags, Chiefs, Bills, Cowboys (Yeah, I said it), Browns, Vikings, Jets!, Oakland (If they have picks left), Cardinals

Flacco to Fitz or Flacco to Dez = Mind Blown :o

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1360531067' post='1353227']
i'm not gonna lie, i am one that rode Joe hard this past season and probably will do it again next if he plays like garbage. lol! but i did it because i knew Joe could be a great QB and wanted to see him play like one badly but he wasn't demonstrating it (at times) on a consistent basis. sure, a lot of that was due to Cam handcuffing him and holding him back and the 0-line stinking up the joint earlier in the season until they shuffled them around. once they did that...Joe started picking defenses apart! so now, i am happy for Joe Flacco getting all of the props and praise he deserves. congrats on the MVP Joe and next season....we get to do it all over again! let's go Joe!

~Mili
[/quote]
Not sure why you got 4 negatives for coming clean with your honesty :) I have been a little hard on Ray Rice in the past but I support him as a Raven like you do Joe and we both want them to succeed and that is all that counts.

A guy that hasn't ever passed for more than 4000 yards in a single season. A guy that has yet to complete over 63% of his passes in a single season. Oh, and my favorite, a guy that has yet to throw for more than 25 TDs or less than double-digit INTs in a single season.

So, I'd like to know who these teams were that are willing to give up two first round picks on a guy that still hasn't proven he can do anything in the regular season. He couldn't out-duel a 32 year old backup Quarterback and had to rely on a Jacoby Jones punt-return TD to win. Then, he lost to a 38 year old third-string Quarterback at home.

Again - I'd like to know who these teams were. Arizona? Buffalo? New York? Teams that are desperate enough to make any kind of push to a) sell seats and b ) make whatever fanbase they may or may not have left happy by acquiring a 'franchise Quarterback'.

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but the the only teams that would be willing to give up a first round pick, let alone two, for a guy that had one (count it - [b]one[/b]) good postseason aren't known for making smart decisions.

[quote name='SteelersCanada' timestamp='1360985779' post='1359044']
A guy that hasn't ever passed for more than 4000 yards in a single season. A guy that has yet to complete over 63% of his passes in a single season. Oh, and my favorite, a guy that has yet to throw for more than 25 TDs or less than double-digit INTs in a single season.

So, I'd like to know who these teams were that are willing to give up two first round picks on a guy that still hasn't proven he can do anything in the regular season. He couldn't out-duel a 32 year old backup Quarterback and had to rely on a Jacoby Jones punt-return TD to win. Then, he lost to a 38 year old third-string Quarterback at home.

Again - I'd like to know who these teams were. Arizona? Buffalo? New York? Teams that are desperate enough to make any kind of push to a) sell seats and b ) make whatever fanbase they may or may not have left happy by acquiring a 'franchise Quarterback'.

You can sugarcoat it all you want, but the the only teams that would be willing to give up a first round pick, let alone two, for a guy that had one (count it - [b]one[/b]) good postseason aren't known for making smart decisions.
[/quote]

8-8.

[/quote]

He had a good post season last year as well with QB ratings in two games of 95 and 91. Plus, it wasn't just a "good" post season. QB ratings of 125,116,106 and 124. Tying the post season record of 11 TDS and 0 INTS with Joe Montana. The only two QBs to hold that record.
He also posted the BEST QBR (what they use now sadly) of ANY QB in ANY SB since QBR was invented by ESPN. That would include your Big Ben in 2008. :)
In addition, the man is not injury prone. I think he ranks third behind Favre and Rodgers for the most consecutive starts. You're just a wee bit jealous I think since odds are next season Big Ben won't be considered the best QB in the division.
I might add that even prior to last season, he met or exceeded Ben's post season performance in any season. Just sayin'. :)

[/quote]
A record tying post season, a Super Bowl MVP who's 28, QB who's won the most games in his first 5 years and never missed the playoffs.
Who the hell wouldn't give up a couple of firsts for that? Hell Washington gave up more for RGIII, an unproven college guy.

What are you crying over anyway?

[/quote]
Flacco-envy? Never knew it existed until now.

How was it watching the Ravens win the Super Bowl and know your team didn't even make it to the playoffs?

Woodley said Flacco would never win one. Well, "now don't he look stupid."

At least our quarterback won a Superbowl without riding his defense... Oh, how many total picks has Big Ben thrown in his post season career? Get out! Lol!

[/quote]

Ill take a rising Flacco over a QB that has played one full season in his career.. Ole Ben

[/quote]

Eh?

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1360987681' post='1359069']
Ill take a rising Flacco over a QB that has played one full season in his career.. Ole Ben
[/quote]

2008?

So, I've yet to see any kind of logical answer and instead, attacking Pittsburgh. I'm shocked!

"I'm not defensive, you're getting defensive."

[quote name='SteelersCanada' timestamp='1360989370' post='1359079']
2008?

So, I've yet to see any kind of logical answer and instead, attacking Pittsburgh. I'm shocked!

"I'm not defensive, you're getting defensive."
[/quote]

You did get logical answers. You just ignored them.

First off, many of your facts are not even correct.

In 2009, Flacco exceeded 63% completion percentage.
That 25 TD mark you speak of? Ben exceeded it only 3 times. 2 of those times was only by one when he hit 26 TDs. The other was when he hit for 32.
As for INTs, it really gets interesting. Ben has fallen below 10 INTs three times exactly. All short seasons. 11,13 and 13. Other than that, the lowest number of INTs he's had in a season has been 11 and even some of those seasons were not 16 game seasons.

As I already pointed out, and you ignored, it wasn't just one good post season, he also had a good post season last year. Further, it was not merely "good" but great. Even in his previous post season performances, he has exceeded Ben's post season performances of his entire career. And Ben has had a few more years to get it right even.

Those regular season stats are great for your fantasy team, but in the end it is wins that matter and Flacco holds the most post season wins of ANY QB in his first five years. He also stands alone in the most post season wins on the road of any QB EVER in the NFL.

He is the only QB to have 60 wins in his first five seasons. The only one to take his team to the post season his first five seasons and then to win at least one playoff game once he gets there.

You can't come here to insult our QB and not expect comparisons to your own. It's like going to your neighbor to complain about the state of their lawn when your own is full of weeds. It will be pointed out.