3 replies to this topic

#1 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Found a breakdown of the final 3 plays on the final goal line stand by a dude at the Baltimore Sun. If you go back and watch the 3 plays they all seem simple, Ray just plays his assignment correctly and then rolls to his left to help with containment on Kaepernick on the 2nd down play.

However the 3rd down play is what I'll always remember about Ray in his twilight. Pollard lines up off the LT because he has the HB on the left of the 49er alignment, however the "HB" is actually Crabtree. Lewis (with the help of Reed who first identifies Crabtree in the backfield) actually realigns Pollard over the middle of the defense so Pollard can account for Delanie Walker. The entire play has reads and checks in the coverages the defense needs to account for and the play design itself just screams for miscommunications and breakdowns in coverages that would ultimately leave someone wide open. However Lewis, with the help of Reed, identifies whats going to happen and ultimately helps put Pollard in the right alignment so the receivers are all accounted for.

Ray wasn't kidding when he said defensively the game would come down to communicating.

Ray Lewis was consistently isolated in the short and intermediate passing game and surrendered 4 completions for 73 yards, including 46 after the catch. He didn’t play the run well and had a game that, from an individual standpoint, was unrepresentative of his legendary career. However, on the final 3-play stand, he made some contributions that might have gone unnoticed.

•On 2nd and 5 (Q4, 2:00) Lewis jammed Vernon Davis who appeared to be Kaepernick’s primary read. He slid back to pass him to Reed, and then ran to the right sideline to set up containment for the rolling Kaepernick, but the ball had been released, incomplete.

•On 3rd and 5 (Q4, 1:55) Lewis realigned Pollard to the offensive right side where he was able to pick up Walker. Lewis himself moved to cover Frank Gore, who would have otherwise been the 4th receiver going out right through a cleared out zone. The Ravens effectively accounted for all 4 receivers and Jimmy Smith delivered the PD.

•On 4th and 5 (Q4, 1:50) Lewis crept to the line showing an A-gap blitz between LG Iupati and C Goodwin. He rushed inside on Iupati while Suggs rushed straight ahead at the left tackle Staley. Ellerbe was left free to blitz untouched between Staley and Iupati for the game-winning pressure, but he had help from his veteran friends.

Edited by Bltravens, 09 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,445 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Imo I think his best play/most memorable of the game came on that 4th down.

I know he shot right through the A gap and Ellerbe came in just in time for Kaepernick to hurry up the throw. I know Suggs was fighting off the Tackle, but all I could remember was just focusing on Ray clogging it up and seeing Ellerbe rush through. Then in the corner of my eye seeing Crabtree didn't catch it. Then it was jumping and screaming! It was awesome. I'll never forget that down.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 quoth_the_raven_neverscore

quoth_the_raven_neverscore

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

perfect swansong for the master

goal-line stand to win the superbowl in his final game. does it get any better? ^_^
"All we got is EACH OTHER and that's all that matters! That's ALL THAT MATTERS!"

#4 JohnnyBoy8102

JohnnyBoy8102

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Filmstudy does a great job always.
"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one."- Ed Reed

"Your a joke." -Mr. GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users