Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info »
Close

Photo

[News] What Will Happen With Bryant McKinnie?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

The veteran left tackle is a free agent after an impressive run during the playoffs.

View the full article

#2 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

“I think the way he played down the stretch against [Colts DE Dwight] Freeney, against [Broncos OLB Elvis] Dumervil and then against [49ers OLB] Aldon Smith, I think it makes a statement for him,” Newsome said.

Yes - it makes a statement ... IF he decides he wants to try, he can be effective. The risk is, you don't know what you are going to get walking in the door when camp opens up (or, if he'll show up).

Edited by balfan23, 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Guest_D3x3001_*

Guest_D3x3001_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I enjoyed McKinnie but it's time to turn to the youth movement. We need younger talent and we have it in the wings. Let's cut some older players and re-equip this team to stay in the hunt for the Lombardi next season.

#4 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

my only concern with mckinnie is i do not know if he could last a whole season. he was fresh during the playoffs thats 1 reason why he dominated. i do know that oher is not a LT and drafting #32 may not bring us a top flight LT so this is a tough call to make. i will leave it in the hands of the front office.

#5 Purple City Bird Gang

Purple City Bird Gang

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Big Mac played like a Raven in the playoffs. It was great to see Joe get time to throw and he lit up some of the best defenses in the post season. We the fans have been calling for his return for better of the season. I'll hate to see him go and I hope we can keep this championship o-line together.

#6 18stanjo

18stanjo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Keep. Him.

#7 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

my only concern with mckinnie is i do not know if he could last a whole season. he was fresh during the playoffs thats 1 reason why he dominated. i do know that oher is not a LT and drafting #32 may not bring us a top flight LT so this is a tough call to make. i will leave it in the hands of the front office.

I agree that it is unlikely to draft someone #32 and have your starting LT on day one. It seems fans are convinced that Oher is not an LT, but I don't know if the organization is. Let's assume they want to keep Oher at RT and we do not sign McKinnie. I am wondering if the organization would be considering shifting KO to LT and drafting the G/C position for O line depth in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round.

Edited by balfan23, 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#8 18stanjo

18stanjo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I enjoyed McKinnie but it's time to turn to the youth movement. We need younger talent and we have it in the wings. Let's cut some older players and re-equip this team to stay in the hunt for the Lombardi next season.

We need experience.

#9 dwhravens

dwhravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

oher is not a left tackle. if the past 2 season don't convince the coaching staff, nothing will. they went and got mckinnie last year because they felt oher couldn't play there. he's just not built to play left tackle. would try to sign mckinnie to at least a 1 year deal.

#10 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

i'm lost so do we want him back or we don't ? Oher on the left side joe will be on his back half the game ,,,,,no matter who is calling plays . the off season is aggravating . I don't think Jah reid played enough for me to even know who he is other then hurt allot .

#11 NCRaven10

NCRaven10

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

We really need to hold on to this guy for 1 more year atleast. Draft for D and keep an eye out for a LT either late in draft this year or address it for next. Oher is not a LT!! McKinney and Boldin are very important to this offense. I'm not sure that Doss is ready. The Colt game has me worried about his development.

#12 sami

sami

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'd sign him to a two yr deal with a weight and workout provision. Hes still an excellent LT and they are hard to find. Hes a little up there in age but he rested a lot this year.
Hes the best we have and if we want to keep Joe upright and clean we need the best.

#13 TheVIP74

TheVIP74

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well we have seen what Joe can do when he has time to driop back and pass the football. If we go into 2013-14 without a rookie or Bryant Mckinnie at left tackle all the good will that this offense got in the post season will be gone. Oher is not a left tackle sorry,Osemele is a better guard,Jah Reid might be able to play left tackle(he is not a guard)IMO bringing Bryant Mckinnie back or the draft are the only options you sign your franchise QB to BIG MONEY you have to protect him. Going flea market on the oline is unexceptable. Mckinnie,Osemele,Gradkowski,Yanda,Oher should be the starters for 13-14 IMO

#14 WeCanDoAllThings52

WeCanDoAllThings52

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I was believed in Michael Oher all season, but when I saw McKinnie and the disparity between him and Oher I was shocked and regretful I didn't hop on the train earlier. Unfortunately, it might be too late.

But hey, it's Oher's third try at LT. And third times the charm, right Charm City?

#15 accuscoresteve

accuscoresteve

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hopefully we effectively squashed demand for McKinnie by sitting him most of the year. He already had a tarnished reputation after being cut for being fat by Minnesota. We end up being the only option he has left. We get a similar year out of him next season --- disappointing regular season, ready to go for a playoff stretch.

#16 NCMan

NCMan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I hope we can figure out a way to keep McKinnie and that he wants to play for us. Big improvement on our OL play when he was playing. 'Nuff said.

#17 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hopefully we effectively squashed demand for McKinnie by sitting him most of the year.

I'm afraid, the clear contrast between the o-line without him and the one with him if anything, just raised interest in him. And I'm sure he'll find a team who will give him the money he asks for.

I'd be happy to see him back, I guess we can say if there is a good time to start getting younger, this is our best time. We've got the trophy, we have that stupid "super bowl window closing" monkey off our backs, we can afford getting a bit brave about getting younger. If we don't replace them with similar veterans, we're suddenly gonna have a much younger roster.

bio

#18 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

What ever happens with McKinnie, we need a left tackle. IDC what the front office says, I don't believe, and I don't think they truly believe, Michael Oher is the answer.

#19 gigilomann

gigilomann

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Oher plays right tackle better than left tackle that's for sure.

#20 PurpleReigning

PurpleReigning

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

They need to stop kidding us and themselves with this Jah Reid and Harwood business. McKinney was the 8th OVERALL pick in the draft. Even if he's 33, we're comparing a thoroughbred to trail horses. We need a true LT in here if we don't get him back. Why pay Flacco to not protect him?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users