Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Anquan Boldin to retire if cut

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#221 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Reed? That sends a chill up my spine.

Lol. The FO may give him a chance. I can see him not tendered then re-signed for vet minimum. Reed's a very good gunner.

#222 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Lol. The FO may give him a chance. I can see him not tendered then re-signed for vet minimum. Reed's a very good gunner.

I know. I just hope he hasn't lost his confidence after those two critical fumbles.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#223 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I know. I just hope he hasn't lost his confidence after those two critical fumbles.

I don't think he has, but it's impossible to know until he gets a chance. I think he will have a shot. I expect us to not tender Morgan Cox, David Reed, possibly even Ramon Harewood and then attempt to sign them back at vet minimum. The only one I am uncertain on is Harewood, because we might have big plans for him. Cox, Reed--I think we can get those guys back on vet minimum personally.

And I like Reed. As I said, he is fast as a gunner. Always the first guy or one of them to get to the returner. If his confidence is there, and we feel good about it, I can see us cutting JJ as much as I love him.

This off-season is killing me. I feel the pendulum swinging and I wonder who's getting cut.

#224 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

I don't think he has, but it's impossible to know until he gets a chance. I think he will have a shot. I expect us to not tender Morgan Cox, David Reed, possibly even Ramon Harewood and then attempt to sign them back at vet minimum. The only one I am uncertain on is Harewood, because we might have big plans for him. Cox, Reed--I think we can get those guys back on vet minimum personally.

And I like Reed. As I said, he is fast as a gunner. Always the first guy or one of them to get to the returner. If his confidence is there, and we feel good about it, I can see us cutting JJ as much as I love him.

This off-season is killing me. I feel the pendulum swinging and I wonder who's getting cut.

I am with you on that. I am on pins and needles, just waiting for the ax to swing.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#225 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think they'll extend Jones who's only 28 and much like Pollard probably has found his home. His cap number his large(for him) this year. You extend him for 3yrs and that's a total 4 year contract that lower his cap. Can't see them cutting him. If anything he'll have a larger offensive role now and that's where the return ability of Reed comes in.

Jones said he was gassed and happy the lights went out in the Super Bowl. Coming off that huge Kick Return, the D would have went 3 and out, Jones would have return the punt and then had to play offense. I think lessening his role might actually make him even better. Sometimes when you are the jack of all trades and master of none, it hurts more then helps.

Much like we see Doss and Reed on spot duties returning, I think that might be Jones' role on ST next year, because he and Smith's combined speed is proven too much for even the top defenses. I know people will hate it but D. Reed might have a large role on this team next year.
Posted Image

#226 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I think they'll extend Jones who's only 28 and much like Pollard probably has found his home. His cap number his large(for him) this year. You extend him for 3yrs and that's a total 4 year contract that lower his cap. Can't see them cutting him. If anything he'll have a larger offensive role now and that's where the return ability of Reed comes in.

Jones said he was gassed and happy the lights went out in the Super Bowl. Coming off that huge Kick Return, the D would have went 3 and out, Jones would have return the punt and then had to play offense. I think lessening his role might actually make him even better. Sometimes when you are the jack of all trades and master of none, it hurts more then helps.

Much like we see Doss and Reed on spot duties returning, I think that might be Jones' role on ST next year, because he and Smith's combined speed is proven too much for even the top defenses. I know people will hate it but D. Reed might have a large role on this team next year.

I think we almost have to extend Jacoby. Of course the returns for TDs were very nice, but he has more value than just scoring. He regularly puts the team in great field position even when he doesn't score. He's able to bring the ball out for 8 or 9 deep in the end zone and get past the 20. Most guys would knee it and take it at the 20, but Jacoby brings it out pretty much all the time and very rarely does he get stopped short of the 20.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#227 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I am with you on that. I am on pins and needles, just waiting for the ax to swing.

Honestly, I don't think it'll be that painful. For all the Free Agents the Ravens have, I think Cary and Kruger are the only big names lost and I feel the media are valuing those guys much higher then the Ravens.

Of course getting Joe done quickly is the Key. But if that gets done, I think Ellerbe quickly follows, Reed will take time but return. We'll probably hear more disrespect talk from his this offseason if he doesn't get a agent. McKinnie will be giving a minimum offer to either take it or the Ravens will quick turn to another vet.

Birk, Ray, and Williams contracts will come of the books. Leach and Boldin's contracts will be restructured but not extended imo. Oher and Jones will be extended but will have their 2013 cap lowered. Pitta sign his 1yr tender, but quickly extended to a cap friendly long term deal.

Then a couple of lower level FAs will be signed. B.A will probably be cut as he's no long the ST ace and couple be upgraded as a Nickle LB. Sounds like a lot for a team against the cap, but I don't think the Ravens lose anyone they can't afford to lose. Maybe guys like James Ihedigbo will walk in favor for younger guy like Emanuel Cook, but nothing major.
Posted Image

#228 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

IMO, Boldin will take less to remain a Raven. He will make that sacrifice to stay with Flacco. And, winning the Super Bowl doesn't hurt either.

#229 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Q being released is not some sort of indication that the FO beleives any of "your boys" are ready or able to replace him. Do not be naive. If Q goes it is because we cannot afford to keep him. Its about money and cap space. Nothing more.

Serious question. What is it that so many see in these guys that I am not seeing? Do you go to the training camps or get film from them? Is there a news letter that describes players performance in training? Seriously, what is it? And don't talk to me about their college days. That is meaningless. I can use Troy Smith as an excellent example of that. What is it about these guys that merit so much fan love?

We see youth and potential. That's all we see, and that's all we can expect to see. Boldin is almost guaranteed to be gone this year or the next. We need to look for a new possession guy. We've seen glimpses of Doss' potential, and he's obviously a likely candidate.

#230 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

We see youth and potential. That's all we see, and that's all we can expect to see. Boldin is almost guaranteed to be gone this year or the next. We need to look for a new possession guy. We've seen glimpses of Doss' potential, and he's obviously a likely candidate.

Fair enough. Although I hope Boldin plays one more year.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#231 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Honestly, I don't think it'll be that painful. For all the Free Agents the Ravens have, I think Cary and Kruger are the only big names lost and I feel the media are valuing those guys much higher then the Ravens.

Of course getting Joe done quickly is the Key. But if that gets done, I think Ellerbe quickly follows, Reed will take time but return. We'll probably hear more disrespect talk from his this offseason if he doesn't get a agent. McKinnie will be giving a minimum offer to either take it or the Ravens will quick turn to another vet.

Birk, Ray, and Williams contracts will come of the books. Leach and Boldin's contracts will be restructured but not extended imo. Oher and Jones will be extended but will have their 2013 cap lowered. Pitta sign his 1yr tender, but quickly extended to a cap friendly long term deal.

Then a couple of lower level FAs will be signed. B.A will probably be cut as he's no long the ST ace and couple be upgraded as a Nickle LB. Sounds like a lot for a team against the cap, but I don't think the Ravens lose anyone they can't afford to lose. Maybe guys like James Ihedigbo will walk in favor for younger guy like Emanuel Cook, but nothing major.

I like the way you think. Good assessment.

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#232 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Fair enough. Although I hope Boldin plays one more year.

I do, too. I think everyone does! I'd like to see him play here for three more years and have him retire a Raven. He's just gonna need a pay cut, which I think he might be willing to take at this point in his career.

#233 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I do, too. I think everyone does! I'd like to see him play here for three more years and have him retire a Raven. He's just gonna need a pay cut, which I think he might be willing to take at this point in his career.

Q's not playing 3 more years imo. As well as he still plays, Q has lost a couple of steps and doesn't get in and out of his breaks as well anymore. That says a lot about the player Q is because he still gets it done at a high level.

I have no doubt he could continue to produce at a high level for 3 more years, much like I think Ray could perform still but guys know when it's over even when they still have some left. I also look at the fact that despite not missing many games and none in the postseason, Boldin has been hurt the last 2 seasons. I strongly believe that winning the Super Bowl is what drove Q these last couple years.

While I have no doubt that Q willing continue to fight as long as he's on that field, I just don't see him playing more then one season.
Posted Image

#234 Hjulmann

Hjulmann

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Are you so sure we are keeping Jones? I heard noises that the cap would benefit from cutting him too. It would be a shame to lose him. The guy is a great WR and deadly kick/punt returner.

Idk, I think it's going to be one or the other
Posted Image
"It's all for Ray Lewis" - Ray Rice

#235 TheCross

TheCross

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Boldin is a perfect receiver for Joe Flacco.
Flacco has nerves of steel & such calmness as he sets up back in the pocket to throw a pass.

How he does not get sacked more often is because he will throw into coverage.
Other QBs when they feel pressure will just secure the ball & maybe scramble for a few yds.
Flacco when feeling pressure from the defensive linemen will just quickly find a target & make the pass even if his reciever is in coverage.
He just trusts his receiver to react & get the ball.
That's exactly what Boldin does.
He's got good height & long arms & great hands.
Mentally Boldin is strong as he wants to make that grab.
Football is a team sport made up of individuals.
Good receivers are a must for the likes of a QB like Flacco who likes throwing 15,25, & more yards down field even if there is good coverage.
If I were the Ravens head office guys , my priority would be to have Boldin back for min. 2 years.
He looks far from a done player & he's not only got skills & talent , ya can sense his hunger & desire on the field.

#236 ThePurpleWall

ThePurpleWall

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

IMO, Boldin will take less to remain a Raven. He will make that sacrifice to stay with Flacco. And, winning the Super Bowl doesn't hurt either.

it should be Flacco sacrificing a little so we can keep our guys.

Edited by ThePurpleWall, 18 February 2013 - 06:28 AM.

Ray Lewis"in any war who pulls their General out?,Nobody,when ever i put on that Jersey,ever man in this building believes in one thing,whatever our General says we Follow bottom Line"

Ray Lewis is the Leader of this Franchise.

#237 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'd like to keep Boldin because he's our 3rd string back-up QB, lol. Something people forget. Maybe he restructures his 7.5M or whatever for a 2yr/8M deal where he takes 3M in 2013 & 5M in 2014. Gives us some wiggle room at the very least for this year and keeps him an extra year for not too much money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users