34 replies to this topic

#1 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

As everyone know that this offseason, the Ravens won't be a big player in free agency because basically Flacco is the offseason for us. Flacco is going to be a Raven via Tag or long-term contract. With that set, I believe Ozzie knows that trading players might be better than releasing them.

Trading Chips:

Anquan Boldin - There will be WR needy teams and Boldin showcased his skills throughout the playoffs. Instead of cutting him, maybe we can get a mid-round pick (3rd or 4th). The case for this is Chad Ochocinco, where the Patriots gave a 5th and 6th for a 34 year old Chad.

Jacoby Jones - His salary is still affordable ($4.5 M), so a team might trade for him since he's an All-Pro returner/3rd WR deep threat. Mid-round value (3rd, 4th, 5th)

Vonta Leach - All-Pro Fullback who can pave the way for other RBs. He's a tough one to keep because FBs are really not used enough to justified the $3 Million. Leach helps Rice and Pierce to reach good yardage, but with Flacco eating so much cap space, it might come down to if Leach is playing enough to justify his price tag. Low round Pick (5th, 6th, 7th)

Terrence Cody - Cody is entering his contract year and is also coming down from a bad year. Maybe we can trade him to a NT needy team because there's a lot of teams changing to the 3-4 defense and the draft has only so much Nose Tackles. Maybe a mid-low round (4th, 5th) to salvage his value because I think we can get a replacement for Cody in the upcoming draft. I think this could happen if the offseason reports show Cody is motivated and we pick up Brandon Williams, thus leaving one less nose tackle to draft. New Orleans, Cleveland, Philadelphia could be interested.

#2 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Keep Q, JJ and Leach at all costs (not literally). Cody? Hahahahahahaha!
Posted Image

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

These are all legit possibilities. I hope people look at this sensibly and not flame you for thinking outside the box. I'm glad you're not saying to trade Cody because he sucks. I am not sure we can get anything for Cody, honestly. Maybe a late-pick like a 7th. Cody's unproven & while you are right & many teams are switching to a 3-4, I think Cody's good to have because he's cheap and is at least good depth. He could also turn on the light & play out of his mind like Ellerbe did last year. I don't like the idea of trading Cody for the reason of him being cheap as well as him having not much trade value.

Onto your other options. FB is a dying position. It might be hard to trade Leach, and I think I like the idea of keeping Leach for the rest of his contract. Maybe we can get him to take a small paycut. FB is a dying position, so he might realize he has not much leverage despite his high-quality play. Felton's contract could help us decrease his salary since I think Felton is now a better FB than Leach, but marginally.

As for Boldin & JJ...well, here we go. I love both these players. It's hard to really say. I hate the idea of losing either guy, but we have a lot of young talent and I can really see the Ravens doing something here. I posted in another thread that I don't know how we can extend both these guys since we have a ton of free agents coming & we will need to give them deals. We need to get the young guys reps. It's hard to do that now. I just don't know how we can extend Boldin for 3 years or 2 years, keep JJ for however many years, keep Smith in 2015, keep Pitta in 2014, etc. & still field a competitive defense. It might be prudent to trade, and if I had to decide it would be Boldin over Jones because Jones is younger & can do KR/PR at an elite level and seems to be improving as a WR. We also have guys who can be physical in Doss or Streeter (going to get negs here, I'm sure).

I would actually rather keep both Boldin & JJ, though. I'd extend JJ & not extend Boldin. I'd rather we try to get Boldin to take a paycut, or maybe extend his deal by one year for FA in 2015 than cut/trade him. I'd like to keep JJ long-term due to his ST & WR ability. I'd rather trade Michael Oher than those guys. Oher's on his last year as well. With a weak OT class, I think we could get a decent pick for Oher who has versatility, character & good work ethic. He's owed almost $5M, and while we won't get all that back, I would rather pay Boldin 7.5 & trade Oher than vice versa. I would like to put Reid in at RT at that point, or just draft a guy who would be cheaper.

#4 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

i hope cody is a cut . i see no upside to keeping him

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#5 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

These are all legit possibilities. I hope people look at this sensibly and not flame you for thinking outside the box. I'm glad you're not saying to trade Cody because he sucks. I am not sure we can get anything for Cody, honestly. Maybe a late-pick like a 7th. Cody's unproven & while you are right & many teams are switching to a 3-4, I think Cody's good to have because he's cheap and is at least good depth. He could also turn on the light & play out of his mind like Ellerbe did last year. I don't like the idea of trading Cody for the reason of him being cheap as well as him having not much trade value.

Onto your other options. FB is a dying position. It might be hard to trade Leach, and I think I like the idea of keeping Leach for the rest of his contract. Maybe we can get him to take a small paycut. FB is a dying position, so he might realize he has not much leverage despite his high-quality play. Felton's contract could help us decrease his salary since I think Felton is now a better FB than Leach, but marginally.

As for Boldin & JJ...well, here we go. I love both these players. It's hard to really say. I hate the idea of losing either guy, but we have a lot of young talent and I can really see the Ravens doing something here. I posted in another thread that I don't know how we can extend both these guys since we have a ton of free agents coming & we will need to give them deals. We need to get the young guys reps. It's hard to do that now. I just don't know how we can extend Boldin for 3 years or 2 years, keep JJ for however many years, keep Smith in 2015, keep Pitta in 2014, etc. & still field a competitive defense. It might be prudent to trade, and if I had to decide it would be Boldin over Jones because Jones is younger & can do KR/PR at an elite level and seems to be improving as a WR. We also have guys who can be physical in Doss or Streeter (going to get negs here, I'm sure).

I would actually rather keep both Boldin & JJ, though. I'd extend JJ & not extend Boldin. I'd rather we try to get Boldin to take a paycut, or maybe extend his deal by one year for FA in 2015 than cut/trade him. I'd like to keep JJ long-term due to his ST & WR ability. I'd rather trade Michael Oher than those guys. Oher's on his last year as well. With a weak OT class, I think we could get a decent pick for Oher who has versatility, character & good work ethic. He's owed almost $5M, and while we won't get all that back, I would rather pay Boldin 7.5 & trade Oher than vice versa. I would like to put Reid in at RT at that point, or just draft a guy who would be cheaper.

i thought both were under contract til the ned of next year ? JJ and Q? i like the idea of trading oher as well

Edited by runamuk, 08 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#6 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

The Ravens have never been much for making trades. They will typically get the full use of a player before cutting him. Although with the cap looming overhead I guess it is possible. I would not trade or cut Boldin or Jones and Leach is still a fair bargain for what he provides.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#7 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

i thought both were under contract til the ned of next year ? JJ and Q? i like the idea of trading oher as well

JJ, Q, Pitta, Oher, Arthur Jones (our entire 2010 draft class) are free agents in 2014 (next offseason) as well as Leach.

#8 pep_meister

pep_meister

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'd rather renegotiate leach and quans salary to keep them. Pays to be a winner.

Edited by pep_meister, 08 February 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#RAVENSNATION

- ROOTING FOR WILL HILL SINCE 7/25/14-

#9 SideStep77

SideStep77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Leach? Heck no! He is the best fullback in the league, he clears the way for our rushing attack and is a beast catching from the backfield too, he is a must keep. Q just restructure to keep him for another year or two because he's a beast. Jacoby brings way too much to the table, not to mention he was runner-up MVP of the Super Bowl. Finally, I don't think Cody has much trade value seeing is that he is behind Kemoeatu (spelling too lazy to look up). He's still young though.

tl:dr, No trades.
#82 #15 Maryland Pride. Go Terps. Go Ravens.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!

#10 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I can't see us trading anybody this year.

#11 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'd rather keep all those guys then get 4th round and later picks. Even 3rd round.

#12 ravensfan2424

ravensfan2424

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Cody is definitely high on our trade list. Hoping for a 4th or 5th with him though.

1005856_10201063947747543_1065445185_n.j

#13 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

As everyone know that this offseason, the Ravens won't be a big player in free agency because basically Flacco is the offseason for us. Flacco is going to be a Raven via Tag or long-term contract. With that set, I believe Ozzie knows that trading players might be better than releasing them.

Trading Chips:

Anquan Boldin - There will be WR needy teams and Boldin showcased his skills throughout the playoffs. Instead of cutting him, maybe we can get a mid-round pick (3rd or 4th). The case for this is Chad Ochocinco, where the Patriots gave a 5th and 6th for a 34 year old Chad.

Jacoby Jones - His salary is still affordable ($4.5 M), so a team might trade for him since he's an All-Pro returner/3rd WR deep threat. Mid-round value (3rd, 4th, 5th)

Vonta Leach - All-Pro Fullback who can pave the way for other RBs. He's a tough one to keep because FBs are really not used enough to justified the $3 Million. Leach helps Rice and Pierce to reach good yardage, but with Flacco eating so much cap space, it might come down to if Leach is playing enough to justify his price tag. Low round Pick (5th, 6th, 7th)

Terrence Cody - Cody is entering his contract year and is also coming down from a bad year. Maybe we can trade him to a NT needy team because there's a lot of teams changing to the 3-4 defense and the draft has only so much Nose Tackles. Maybe a mid-low round (4th, 5th) to salvage his value because I think we can get a replacement for Cody in the upcoming draft. I think this could happen if the offseason reports show Cody is motivated and we pick up Brandon Williams, thus leaving one less nose tackle to draft. New Orleans, Cleveland, Philadelphia could be interested.

With our offense becoming more pass oriented , as much as I love Vonta I think he would be the odd man out .

#14 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Keep Q, and JJ, I dont see Leach in high demand. He is keep worthy no doubt. It boils down to budget.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#15 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Keep Q, JJ and Leach at all costs (not literally). Cody? Hahahahahahaha!

This

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#16 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

There's no trade value for fat Cody.

#17 Jitamon

Jitamon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

Oz clearly stated he saw an immediate need for DT in his press conference. Sounds to me like a shake up on the line this off season. If he drafts a player, cuts kimo , maybe even cody? Do you think he would ever trade hiloti ?

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Oz clearly stated he saw an immediate need for DT in his press conference. Sounds to me like a shake up on the line this off season. If he drafts a player, cuts kimo , maybe even cody? Do you think he would ever trade hiloti ?

He's Ngata going anywhere. In case you don't get the pun: Ngata is as likely to get traded as Flacco. Sure, anything can happen; however, we don't have great leverage. Ngata has been injured 2yrs in a row & this draft class is LOADED with talent.

#19 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

They are under contract for next year but their cap number could become problematic if Flacco deal isn't resolve quickly with a little extra cash left on the table ( hopefully ). Boldin is set to make something near $7.5 Million , J.Jones near $4.5M.
Moving players on the final year of contract makes more sense because the cap hit wont be as significant.

#20 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

While I'll admit Cody has been a disappointment to me, because I expected more, I believe he played better than Kemo in most games, but overall they both were below average in the middle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users