Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ozzie Newsome Identifies Top Needs

87 posts in this topic

The Ravens need to strengthen the middle of their defense with the departure of Ray Lewis.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ozzie-Newsome-Identifies-Top-Needs/8b5f078a-2cb8-4c52-a49b-54c45c73559d]View the full article[/url]

left tackle and every position on defense must be addressed in these next 2 drafts for future starters and depth.

I think our #1 target should be D Line or Linebacker. Like Ozzie said, the middle of the defense got run over this year. Need to get back to a more dominant defense and get some younger playmakers in there to help out Ngata and Suggs

ya will hate me i know but Ed is good gone he wants money!! Also that Ed Reed doesnt tackles well either. we need safeties that hit . LT, LB, DL, SS,

Mount Cody is one of our worst players. He gets blown off the ball badly, often, and from what i understand from sources in the ravens in articles i've read, is not exactly a hard worker. It was interesting to read that Kruger had been the same way, getting caught up in the dazzle of the NFL player lifestyle and only recentlyh deciding to become a good player.

Looking back on the draft Vontaze Burfict really seems like it would have been a steal now.
Fills a void and cheap. I know a lot of Raven fans wanted him as an undrafted free agent. Me included.

Terrence Cody's worthlessness is on display when Kaepernick ran for his TD in the Super Bowl. With Ngata out, Cody was given a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage in football. He was blown off the ball and unable to take a correct angle to force Kaep out of bounds. To me, he is just a big body that is easily replaced.

To those of you who love to talk draft strategy and such things: please visit our comprehensive draft forum [url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/forum/46-2013-nfl-draft/"]http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/forum/46-2013-nfl-draft/[/url]

I'm sure you'll find much to interest you there as some very knowledgeable posters share their thoughts.

Ellerbe is the most important person to keep, imo. Think the def improved more because of him coming back rather than ray coming back. kruger next, then reed even though i would absolutely hate to see ed go. re burfict, he does look like a steal at the moment, but i don't think that will last.

[quote name='Ravensfan4life2010' timestamp='1360344842' post='1350356']
ya will hate me i know but Ed is good gone he wants money!! Also that Ed Reed doesnt tackles well either. we need safeties that hit . LT, LB, DL, SS,
[/quote]
I don't hate you and I don't disrespect Reed at all. But over the last 2 off-seasons, or 2 of the last 3, he contemplated retirement. That alone tells me he didn't think his body could handle the grind of the Regular season and playoffs. So I would think that anyone that is ready to sign him should think buyer-beware IF they are giving him more than his true market value. Greatest safety of all time in the previous 11 seasons does not mean that he will be greatest safety in 2013 Season. That's just real talk.

I could totally see them drafting all defensive players this year. I have a feeling that they will move KO to LT, and plug Reid in at LG since he got all those reps this past season

PAY ATTENTION! WE WILL HAVE THE BEST DRAFT CLASS IN THE NFL BY DOING THIS. In the 1st round of course try to get Kevin Minter from LSU Middle Linebacker who is very versitile. 3rd Round get The Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu at corner because Lardarius Webb's ACL will never be the same. The 4th Round get RayRay Armstrong from University of Miami another safety from The U that is A LOT like Sean Taylor and is the biggest steal of the draft. Our Defense will be the best defense in the league like it deserves to be.

We probably will only be able to keep 3 of the following.

Kruger, Ellerbe, Reed, Boldin, McKinnie

Thats a huge problem! Kruger and Ellerbe are fastly approaching the top 10 best at their position! So do we pay them top 10 money now before we really have to fork out a lot once they have a huge season and want top 3-5 money?

Reed, Boldin and McKinnie played extremely well doing the post season. McKinnie and Boldin domininated! I'm sure they will not take pay cuts after those perfomances!
I do think McKinnie is a MUST!

I say we sign Joe and McKinnie then wait until after the draft before we make any Major decision! Maybe we have a great draft to relieve some pain of possibly losing great players!

I hate the idea of possibly losing any of these players!

Yes pechillo, you know exactly how to draft perfectly and know aht the probmes are right? I'm sure you can call Ozzie. He'll LOVE to hear what you have to say. Geez...some people....

The Voice, I'd be happy keeping Kruger, Ellerbe and Boldin. But I think we'll only keep one of those IMO.

pechillo - I almost stopped reading after you recommended Tyrann Mathieu. The guy is a complete mess. Isn't he still in drug rehab? Doesn't he still have to go to court to face jail time?

As far as Webb's ACL injury... while it will take time for him to come back to full strength, he's been through this before and came back as good as ever, so I don't know how you can so easily count him out.

Cody is god awful and he's just there on plays.I watched one play from the super bowl and he stuck his hands out and was chopping he feet at the Center like move or do something not stand there. i bet you if he unblock he still won't get to the QB and He's like 360 and can't push anyone it really frustrates me see him on the field in that game. I was screaming at my TV "why in hell is he in the Game NO!!!" on that play get pushed 5-6 yards back like OMG scrap him!

Kruger, Cary Williams gone. Matt Birk likely retired, Ray Lewis retired, Brian Mckinnie future uncertain...

Flacco
Ellerbe
Reed will be back

F/A or Draft Needs..

Elite Pass Rusher Opposite Suggs to replace Kruger, NT to help NGATA cause Keamouatu and Cody are bums. MLB to fill gap Ray left. LT if Mckinnie not signed.. CB/DB Cary Williams is gone, and maybe 1or 2 more offensive weapons..

so Heres what I like

1st rnd

Jarvis Jones OLB/DE, Deion Jordan DE,OLB, Alex Ogletree MLB, Shariff Floyd DT/NT, Matt Elam S, John Hankins DT/NT Kewann Short DT, Bennie Logan DT

Late 1st-2nd rnd
Tyler Eifort TE, Tavon Austin WR/TB, Barret Jones OT/G/C, Jesse Williams NT, Kyle Long OT/C

3rd Rnd
Bacarri Rambo S, Bandon Williams NT, Mike Gillislee WR/TB, Tyrann Matheiau DB

4TH Rnd
Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB, Jelani Jenkins DE/OLB, Sean Porter DE/OLB

Any of these Picks are fine with me... Especially the Pass Rushers and Line Backers

I watched the news confrence and was happy to hear they were not going make the same mistake as 2001. I don't no why everyone keeps bringing up Boldin, he's not going anywhere. Ozzie hit right on with the middle of the defence, we gave up more rushing yards this year and it's not a Ray Lewis thing. We have room in the Cap as long as we don't tag flacco, that will hurt. I agree that Cody can go along with Williams if we need to make space to keep key players. I also agree with the guy that got negged for saying we need a DT to help with the pass rush. Sizzle will be back to 100% next season but we still need improvement in that area. Webb will also be 100% by August, he will come back strong, has had plenty of time to re-coup. The offence stays pretty much the same. If we can tighten that D back up next year we are absolutly a better team and will be able to make a run at the SB again.

I dont know what Ozzie and Company are going to do, But ya'll know we have the best of the best in the game... So dont worry , Dont panic, We've been in this type of problems before and we all know what happens... In Ozzie and Company WE TRUST!

Sounds like we need a DT who can DOMINATE off the ball. I had high hopes for Cody but he just doesn't have it.If we can get solid in the middle the defense will take care of itself.
No sense in cashing out on Ellerbe if we don't put a DT in place to magnify Ellerbes skill set.

A little off-topic; but this morning on the Jim Rome Show, Boldin said this: "I'm gonna retire a Raven. I love this organization. I'm not playing anywhere else."

Freakin Awesome!!!

So glad we have that guy!

metalraven:

This is from twitter:

Anquan Boldin - WR - Ravens Anquan Boldin told NBC's Erik Kuselias that he intends to retire if the Ravens release him this offseason.
"They will be his last team," passes along Kuselias. The Baltimore Sun reported late this week that the cap-strapped Ravens would prefer to sign Boldin to a contract extension, reducing his salary cap number. Currently, Boldin is owed a non-guaranteed salary of $6 million. Set to commit upwards of $20 million to Joe Flacco, GM Ozzie Newsome will have to get creative to keep Boldin. Source: Erik Kuselias on Twitter Feb

Also... another interesting tidbit...

Paul Kruger - LB - Ravens Free agent OLB Paul Kruger amassed just 1.5 sacks in six games ahead of Terrell Suggs' 2012 return from Achilles' surgery, before closing out the season with 7.5 sacks across the final eight games with Suggs in the lineup.
Kruger also had 4.5 sacks in Baltimore's four playoff wins, all with Suggs aligned opposite him. It's worth debating whether Kruger's production was at least partially a product of Suggs commanding increased defensive attention. We fully expect 26-year-old Kruger to command a massive free-agent deal, but the sack statistics suggest he's more of a complementary than franchise pass rusher. Source: Seattle Times Feb 8 - 3:16 PM

[quote name='rmcjacket23' timestamp='1360356827' post='1350620']
metalraven:

This is from twitter:

Anquan Boldin - WR - Ravens Anquan Boldin told NBC's Erik Kuselias that he intends to retire if the Ravens release him this offseason.
"They will be his last team," passes along Kuselias. The Baltimore Sun reported late this week that the cap-strapped Ravens would prefer to sign Boldin to a contract extension, reducing his salary cap number. Currently, Boldin is owed a non-guaranteed salary of $6 million. Set to commit upwards of $20 million to Joe Flacco, GM Ozzie Newsome will have to get creative to keep Boldin. Source: Erik Kuselias on Twitter Feb
[/quote] Thanks for the insight. But I hope that somehow we can keep him.

And I agree with your observation on Kruger. I like the kid, but I've had that same line of thinking all year. I just never said much.

metalraven:

This is from twitter:

[/quote] And I have a feeling that if Bolidn wants to play another year or two, that'd he be willing to work with the Ravens. Seems like that type of guy.

metalraven:

This is from twitter:

[/quote]

Why would anyone think Baltimore would let Boldin go this offseason? He was our #1 receiver again this year and fell just short of 1000 yards. Plus 4 TDs in as many playoff games. It makes no sense to think they'd let him go.

charliebucket:

He's not worth $6 million at this point in his career. Bottom line is... this team is going to need to release some players still under contract in order to sign and keep more important players under the cap.

I've seen numerous reporting outlets suggest prior to the SB that the Ravens would consider releasing Boldin, Jacoby and/or Leach in order to create cap space.

I can certainly see Leach being released, as FB is not a position of importance in the NFL, and our offense was shifting away from it down the stretch also.

Simply put... the chances of us retaining Kruger, Ellerbe and Reed is almost impossible without releasing somebody like Boldin.

If I were a betting man, I'd say this happens...

Flacco gets franchised (unfortunately), Ellerbe and Reed are retained on new contracts, Boldin is given a cap friendly extension, and Cary Williams, Kruger and Leach are both playing elsewhere in 2013.

The wildcard for me is McKinnie. We need to draft a replacement T anyway, but I have no idea what his market is going to be like. I fear he will get significantly more money from a desperate team for a LT (like Chicago), but perhaps teams will be turned off by his laziness and weight issues that we can get a team friendly, short-term deal on him.

My gut says he won't be back either.

We need to draft another OLB. We can never have too many of them. Let's see if Hamilton can do anything in training camp.

Also charliebucket:

It certainly wouldn't be unheard of for the Ravens franchise to release somebody like Boldin. If you recall, after the 2010 season, the Ravens released Derrick Mason, who I believe led the team with 800 yards and 7 TDs. His receptions were about the same as Boldin's were last season.

[quote name='SBXXXV' timestamp='1360346573' post='1350383']
Looking back on the draft Vontaze Burfict really seems like it would have been a steal now.
Fills a void and cheap. I know a lot of Raven fans wanted him as an undrafted free agent. Me included.
[/quote]

I have to agree. Last year I didn't think he was worth it but i think how fast he dropped in the draft he might have woke-up him up. Kinda like how getting cut from us woke-up James Harrison.

[quote name='rmcjacket23' timestamp='1360356881' post='1350623']
Also... another interesting tidbit...

Paul Kruger - LB - Ravens Free agent OLB Paul Kruger amassed just 1.5 sacks in six games ahead of Terrell Suggs' 2012 return from Achilles' surgery, before closing out the season with 7.5 sacks across the final eight games with Suggs in the lineup.
Kruger also had 4.5 sacks in Baltimore's four playoff wins, all with Suggs aligned opposite him. It's worth debating whether Kruger's production was at least partially a product of Suggs commanding increased defensive attention. We fully expect 26-year-old Kruger to command a massive free-agent deal, but the sack statistics suggest he's more of a complementary than franchise pass rusher. Source: Seattle Times Feb 8 - 3:16 PM
[/quote]

good research... my bet, he's gone and will be over paid

If we do lose Reed, theres always a chance Webb could play safety since we have quite a few capable CBs. He might have to add some muscle. Im not saying he will but its something to ponder.
McBean will be back so that will help the middle. Plus theres the draft and free agency. And as far as telling Ozzie who to pick in the draft and free agency....Im sure he already knows and he aint listening to us.

Many have suggested releasing Boldin, but I think that would present a big problem. When Boldin is motivated, he's a great target for Flacco. If you design plays to throw a back shoulder pass to Boldin, he will catch them. He will out muscle any defender in the league. Bottom line is that Flacco will strongly object to Boldin leaving, so they will make every effort to keep him.

Don't know about LarDarius Webb being a safety, mainly because they are about to lose Cary Williams. I have no idea what to expect from them at the Safety position, it would be great to have Reed back, but Reed's asking price is going to dictate that and someone is guaranteed to throw huge money at him just because it's Ed Reed. If he leaves I hope someone from the NFC signs him and not the damn Patriots! I don't expect Kruger to be back either, he will get overpaid by someone. The Ravens would be absolutely nuts not to bring back Anquan Boldin because they have no one to take his place and he's still got enough left to in the tank to be a big part of the offense for the next couple of years. This years draft & undrafted free agents is where it will be for us. I believe coming off a Super Bowl win with Ray Lewis retiring is the perfect time to start building with more fresh talent on Defense (and I don't mean rebuilding) for another SB run over the next few years.

I feel like we need Boldin at least until Doss or Williams can step up. Boldin is the new go to guy like how Mason was. We've never had any "big name" receivers in Baltimore but thigns are looking up with SMith and Boldin.

What receiver do we have that is ready to step up and be a #1???? We need Boldin back really bad. Jones is a body catcher, and Torrey is not ready to be a number one yet. Doss still don't impress me he okay. When David Reed did play he caught the ball better than Doss to me. We hope Streeter can catch on and be a force.

Well Ozzie doesn't beat around the bush he came out and said the truth most GM's don't do that Oz is all about business and he's right to the DT's aren't good and there's a need for serious depth or potential replacements at ILB and FS

DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!! We need to replenish and rebuild our defense back to a top 5 level. All 3 levels of the defense need to be addressed and taken care of. Besides Ngata our interior d-line is not that great, we need to find a suitable and efficient middle linebacker along with Ellerbe (hopefully we can resign him), we need to either keep Kruger (which i doubt it due to free agency) or bring in someone to help Suggs with the pass rush, and lastly our secondary needs a minor tweaking if Cary and Ed leave. Bottom line is that we need to focus on Defense!

I really want to see Ellerbe back. Don't draft new MLBs, draft DTs to protect our MLBs. Ellerbe and McClain can more than hold their own.

Boldin cannot leave. Let's just be honest...Flacco (whom I really like and respect) would not have the stats or status he has w/o #1 Boldin; #2 Smith; #3 Pitta; #4 Jones. Boldin is Flacco's go-to guy!!! Even if Boldin is double teamed, he will still come down with the ball and the defensive player's arm...which we have seen a few times! Boldin is amazing and there is no way there should be any consideration of not bringing him back...period.

I think our first pick should be an ILB. But if Jarvis Jones or maybe even Lotulelei drops at the bottom of the first, we have to take them. Another corner could another possibility.