Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ozzie Newsome Hopes Ed Reed’s Hometown Love Prevails

40 posts in this topic

Ozzie Newsome says he feels Ed Reed’s love of Baltimore could extend his stay.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ozzie-Newsome-Hopes-Ed-Reed’s-Hometown-Love-Prevails/987c70c0-456f-4754-8916-743570a6ebe7]View the full article[/url]

i dont think it will be hard to keep Ed. I think Kruger will be gone cause no way we can pay him with what other teams will be offering. Cary i would like to see go as well, hes not that good. I think our db's will be better with the combo of webb, graham,smith and brown. Ellerbe should be an easy sign

[quote name='eek' timestamp='1360339440' post='1350281']
i dont think it will be hard to keep Ed. I think Kruger will be gone cause no way we can pay him with what other teams will be offering. Cary i would like to see go as well, hes not that good. I think our db's will be better with the combo of webb, graham,smith and brown. Ellerbe should be an easy sign
[/quote]
I'm guessing, and I'm sure many others are guessing the same, that they go either 1) DL 2) LB or 1)LB 2) DL in the draft. The coaches will figure out a way to maximize that personnel.

Ryan McBean will be back next season and that guy is a hog up front at 6'4" and 3bills whether he plays DT or nose.

Surprised they haven't been talking much about Christian Thompson taking the reigns at safety though. Guess he's just not ready for prime time

i am a die hard chiefs fan but while watching nfl network the other day i seen the commercial where flacco said he was going to disney world. It just hit me whn you all won your first super bowl ray lewis was not invited i dont understand that move by disney after all mr walt disney was DISHONORABLY discharged from our millitary so who are they to judge. oh and i hope we get reed to teach berry how to be the best cause when he came out of collage the experts said he was the next ed reed so who better to teach him

we really need to keep kruger and Ellerbre. I think Ed will go cause he will be asking for too much and we wont be able to go i think ozzie hinted yesterday in the press conference that Ed Reed will walk. Also williams will go cause in his mind he thinks he is shut down corner and will want to get paid like one.
Kruger, and Ellerbe are MAJOR importance of this defense. Kruger was a consistent player throughout this season.
Birk must retire, any update on McAdoo?

The bottom line is, Ed is a Raven for life. Ozzie has drafted so many solid "Marquee" players and all those who have been important to our franchise%u2019s success... he has found a way to keep them here.

Ed is vocal at times, a little too much IMHO... But the dude is a Baltimore staple. The one thing that we dont do in B-More is overpay people. That%u2019s how we can remain competitive every single year. Ultimately Ed is worth more in Baltimore post-retirement (events, guest appearances, signings, etc) than any other city. If he chooses to leave he will sacrifice just how much he can demand for events after football. If he stays, he basically secures his financial future after football, which is worth way more than the extra 3mil he will get over a 3 year contact. Ray realized the same thing back in 2008.

BTW, you think B. Grubbs wished he took the ravens offer right about now?

I'm not a psychic or expert, but I'd guess Ozzie will let Ed do what Ray did...let him test the market, see what others have to offer, and then make as respectable an offer as possible. But it's hard to think that Ozzie would let sentiment get him into a bidding war over Ed.

The most important piece is ellerbe. Kruger is important but we can't pay a situational pass rusher the type of money he wants and prob will get. That's why we drafted upshaw and than unless Cary Williams takes the deal we offered him before the season he walks. Ed reed I believe will ultimately be back but not right away. The most important thing we need to build around is our d line and hopefully Mcbean is back next year because he can help big time

I agree with breden16 and many others when they say Kruger might be gone. Hes good but not THAT good. We can plug Upshaw in there and draft another OLB to learn the ropes but Ed Reed is an institutuion here. We need his leadership plus his skills.
Ellerbe is very important since Ray has retired and Willaims....well it would be nice to have him back but we have a lot of talent at CB so he better not try to hold Ozzie up.

i don't know - kruger and ellerbe were our pass rush - with kruger becoming a force. i'd try to keep both if it is at all possible.

All of this draft talk about who we should go after...what if Reed does decide to leave, we have Pollard as SS and who @ FS? That is going to be our biggest hole to fill and a place I have a feeling Ozzie will be looking to draft some talent...

I don't think Ed Reed goes anywhere else. It is NOT about money. He is so frugal with his money, he has plenty. It is all about the respect.. He will stay and he will be happy that he did.

How about we split Ed's salary and make him a player/asst. secondary coach. I don't know if it can be done but he says he wants to coach so load the money on the coach side and keep the cap side money low.

Omar Brown is our future at FS.He is a hard hitting playmaker,so if Ed won't give us a hometown discount then we have a Beast in the waiting!!!

I still can't understand why someone making millions of dolalrs can't make it in this world. I mean seriously, so Reed goes and say makes 5 million more in a 5 year deal. If he's already making millions, is it THAT important that he needs that much money? I'm all for people getting whatever they can but if he loves Baltimore so much he would stay because he already has more money than he knows what to do with.

I want to keep Ed around, but I also want to keep Cary W. He's made more than a couple big INT's this year. Reed's pick in the S.B. was just what we needed, too. I always hate the spring for what it does, in regards to losing RAVEN players, such as when we lost Heap, we all were upset over that one, but time has shown us that we ended up o.k. with Pitta and Dickson.

Sometimes the older players can be unreasonable. Pay me for what I did instead of pay me for what I can do, is the problem.
I want Ed to stay and retire a RAVEN. and if he's resonable we will sign him. The fact that he already stated he wants to stay in Baltimore is a good sign. I say $15 mil / 3yr deal we keep him here and not blow the budget. Then he can retire a RAVEN.

I think that if Ray Lewis talks to His brother Reed , he will stay here in Baltimore, and sometimes you need to remind yourself that Money Isnt everything, Reed you are an iconic safety to us too, you're probably playing your last season in the NFL, please take the leadership in the Defense that lewis let to you, Its about love, loving who you are and where you are... They pay you TONS of money more than anyone i know, So please be fair, i would do that if i was a pro in football, SAME to Flacco please help the team a little bit!

Bruce,

While I do agree that football players like Reed already tons of money, keep it a little in perspective. The guy won't have a steady source of income for about the last 30-40 years of his life. Regardless of how much money you made in the first 30-40, that's difficult.

It is one of the main reasons why so many professional athletes end up broke within 10 years of retirement. I'm in no way saying we should feel sorry for them, but inevitably they are trying to maximize their income just like everybody else on this board would do.

I think everything will be worked out fine. We have one of the best front office's in the league and all the right calls will be made, even if we the fans do not agree with them.

Come on Reed you gotta come back it just won't be right without you and Ray both of you can't leave

I don't want to see Reed in any other uniform except for ours. Just like Ray Lewis a few years ago I'm hoping Reed decides there's no better place to stay and finish out your career than here in Baltimore.