Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/8: Joe Flacco Planned To Tackle Ted Ginn Jr.

51 posts in this topic

Harbs on Letterman, Jacoby on Kimmel, Phelps and Lewis, Beyonce photobombs Ngata.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-28-Joe-Flacco-Planned-To-Tackle-Ted-Ginn-Jr-/f1d7737c-394c-4b78-91eb-b04454ba43cf]View the full article[/url]

They reported Joe's "plot" last night on the SF local news...Poor fools thought he was serious.

That's our Joe...so cool, most people don't even realize it when he's joking...

I think its good Steve stays in the background as an owner, I guess he learned how the opposite can backfire, ie Jerry Jones.

jacoby has really grew on me. ive always been a fan and i thought he was a good pickup, but i didnt know he'd be the clear cut choice for our 3rd wr. and he has the personality our offense has been missing, i dont care what anyone says, a good receiving corp needs a big personality, it just does. and the way this guy is a big personality, but at the same time, hes completely selfless, and the way he speaks about this franchise and how he repeatedly says he wants to retire a raven, i say i hope he does, this guy is special, even if he doesnt hit 80 receptions a year.

"This is going to be a long off-season."

It's shorter than everyone else's offseason! Hey-o!

I still get the chill's all over when I watch the highlights'. What a game!! And what a great team our SB Champs are! I also hope that we can keep some of the crucial player's needed to perform well next year. I do understand however , that to remain competitive these thing's have to be done. I am very glad that I do not have to make those decision's, and that we have the best FO to make them for us. Go Ravens!!!!!!!

[quote name='RobinsMatt' timestamp='1360336856' post='1350245']
"This is going to be a long off-season."

It's shorter than everyone else's offseason! Hey-o!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Very true... very, very true. Thanks for putting things into perspective.[/i][/font]

[quote name='Ravensfan4life2010' timestamp='1360338020' post='1350263']
we are going to draft a FS, LB, LT, TE, and SS
[/quote]

Oh really? Thanks for sharing ahead of time Ozzie.

I do not believe that we will pick up two safeties in this draft... Pollard is solid... We expect Ed to return... we were happy with Omar Brown and Ihedigbo played ver well... One versatile S who would be all I would expect

Eric Reid S LSU.... 1st round????

Jacoby Jones, Torry Smith, Anquan Boldin... How in the world did Ozzie Newsome pull off the biggest heist in the world to nab a cast-iron crew of unselfish, gritty, and hardworking receivers in an era when the words "diva" and "receiver" are synonyms?

John helped break up a second-quarter scrum, then gave 49ers defensive end Justin Smith a look and smile. %u201CWhat%u2019s your problem? Quit crying,%u201D he told him. LMBO

We need to sure up the middle of our Defense in the draft.Omar Brown is our future FS!!!

QB'S

1. BRADY...
THREE SUPER BOWLS AND OVER THE PAST 4 SEASONS HE HAS AVG. 4,555 YARDS PER YEAR... 35 TDS AND ONLY 9 INTS 6 CARREER POST SEASON WINS AND HE AND ONLY JOE MONTANA HAS WON MULTIPLE NFL MVPS AND MULTIPLE SUPER BOWL MVPS.

2. PEYTON
12 PRO BOWLS .... THE NFLS ONLY 4 TIME MVP EVER - 1 SUPER BOWL TITLE AND OVER HIS LAST 4 SEASONS PLAYED HE HAS AVG. 4,465 YARDS 32 TD'S TO 14 INT PER SEASON

3. BREES
9 POST SESON WINS INCLUDING A SUPER BOWL AND SUPER BOWL MVP / 2 TIM OPOY AND OVE THE PAST 4 SEASONS AVG 4900 YARDS 39 TD'S AND 17 INT PER SEASON

4. RODGERS
5 POST SEASON WINS... INCLUDING 1 SUPER BOWL AND A SUPER BOWL MVP... OVER THE PAST 4 SEASONS HE HAS AVG 4300 YARDS AND 39 TDS TO ONLY 8 INTS

5. ROTHLISBERGER...
11 POST SEASON WINS INCLUDING 2 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIOSNHIPS...AND ONE OTHER APPEARANCE. OVER THE PAST 4 SEASONS HE AVG. 3700 YARDS 20 TD'S AND 11 INTS / HEALTH HAS BEEN AN ISSUE AND COLD ARGUE HIM UP OR DOWN AS A RESULT

6. FLACCO...9 POST SEASN WINS INCLUDING A SUPER BOWL VICTORY ADN MVP...OVER THE PAST 4 SEASONS HE AVG... 3600 YARDS 22 TDS AND 11 INTS

CAN MAKE AN ARGUMENT FOR ELI ALSO????

BUT HAVE TO PUT JOE UP THERE IN TOP 5-7 QBS IN TE NFL OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS... and I think his best is still to come!

Wit 7 DIFFERENT CHEESES, YES Jacoby Mama!
Sound FX is consistently awesome and John's the best when he doesnt have to be all media friendly and junk.
Maybe the niners will learn a lesson this time, this twice in a row they've played against us and aint got nothing to show for it but a few soundbytes on SoundFX, lol. Vernon Davis really thought the game was over after two plays smh

Im glad they tell us about Flacco, Harbaugh and Jacoby being on late night programs but it would be nice if they would tell us BEFORE they are on. Give us a little heads up. OK?

Defense is the concern this year, we need to strengthen the middle of our D. If we rresign Ellerbe, ILB's are set. We need to keep kruger. I just think we need another interior DL. Ngata needs some help. If we can get a guy that can eat up blockers and force one on ones for kruger and suggs, our D will be back to their ways. I think our secondary will be fine with just a question mark over FS.

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1360344453' post='1350352']
QB'S

BUT HAVE TO PUT JOE UP THERE IN TOP 5-7 QBS IN TE NFL OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS... and I think his best is still to come!
[/quote]
Good list, but it's hard to argue with Donovan McNab's rankings last night on Total Access (when the promo said "McNab puts Flacco in his place" I was ready for the worst):

1. Brady
2. Rogers
3. Brees
4. P. Manning
5. Flacco
6. E. Manning
7. Roethlisberger
8. Ryan
9. Romo
10. Schaub

I think 1-5 is pretty solid, with Joe poised to make a move into the top 3; 6-10 is debatable for some of the QBs, but I'm glad he ranked Flacco over Roethlisberger. Flacco is definitely more durable, and if ever there was a poster boy for relying on a defense AND receivers to make circus catches at the end of games, it's Ben.

TXRavensFAn...

Agreed....
I think Brady has to be #1 - 2 through 4 is interchangable with BREES, RODGERS and PEYTON
but 4-7 may also be interchangeable with FLACCO-BEN- and ELI...

can make arguments for and against those three but the differnece in my opionon is that FLACCO is improving while BEN has clearly regressed and ELI seems to be a step behing those two...

I would put Phillip Rivers ahead of RYAN, ROMO or SCHAUB... he dont have the post season wins thanks to NORV TURNER...but I really think he is a better QB (then those three) and I really do not believe that ROMO is top 10! (Way too inconsistent and can not win a big game)

If JOE continues to improve under CALDWELL and maintains that consistency... I do beleive that we will be talking about him in with the other top 4 soon!

Vernon Davis was absolutely right: it was a very long night for Ray Lewis: the game, the power outage, then the game again, then the on-field celebration and trophy presentation, then the pressers, then the locker room celebration, then surely the celebration in the hotel - and maybe some night outing on Bourbon street...

Must have been a very long night, indeed.

bio

those guys that everyone say is better than flacco cannot do what joe just did. arguably only one QB has EVER had a better postseason, and that is Joe Montana.

Honestly, I don't see the point in making position rankings in the NFL... Who can possibly set a defin ite ranking? Who can say if Manning is better than Brady or Rodgers is better than Brees? These are all outstanding QB's, there's just no way to say this one's better than that one...

And anyways, i wonder if any Patriots-fan is any bit happier than any Ravens-fan knowing that they have the "best QB"?

bio

I'm just still REALLY glad John is our coach as opposed Jim!! Who's got it better?! We certainly do!!

[quote name='ravens2thebowl' timestamp='1360349643' post='1350439']
those guys that everyone say is better than flacco cannot do what joe just did. arguably only one QB has EVER had a better postseason, and that is Joe Montana.
[/quote]
Tat's just so hard to determnie - because QB's have to do so many different things - and the success they can achieve is always dependent on the whole team. It's very easy to rank 100 meter dasshers - because there's really only one thing they have to do: run 100 meters in as little time as they can. The guy who can run 100 meters the fastest (assuming there's no cheating involved) is the #1 100 meter rusher - not too much to argue there... But QB's... Who's the "best QB"? The one that has the strongest arm? the one that can throw the most accurate? The one that's the most versatile? The one that offers the most consistent good performance? The one that can always perform well when it really counts? Or the one that has achieved the most?

We could have a set of criteria based on which the best QB is Brady. Or another that would give us Peyton as the best QB. We could argue that Montana or Flacco is the best QB...

This is one debate that is never gonna be settled - because it's impossible to settle it. But really, who cares? We've won the bling, Flacco had an outstanding playoff run and he definitely is the Ravens' long term solution at QB - isn't that the real important thing?

bio

I think it's absolutely insane to rank Brady at #1. He has played well in 2 out of his last 8 playoff games. I don't even think he should be mentioned in the conversation of best NFL qb, because he can't handle being hit. He pads his stats against teams like the Bills and Dolphins, but in the playoffs, you're going to run into a physical defense, and when that happens, Brady crumbles like Wile E Coyote after getting hit with an anvil. Just falls into pieces. That's why he has played well in TWO of his last EIGHT playoff games. Just look at the AFC Championship game. He threw it away on 4th down because he was afraid of getting hit. There was another play where he saw pressure coming, got scared, and skipped a pass to a receiver. It's not just about stats. Flacco made several big throws throughout the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, that most qb's, including Brady, are not capable of. The play where all his momentum was going backwards, and as he gets hit, he has the arm strength to complete it to Pitta, the play where he's sprinting to the sidelines and completes a 30 yd rainbow to Boldin, there's no way Brady is capable of doing that. Even when Brady was cheating his way to Super Bowls, he was never as good as Flacco is now. Flacco can handle pressure. He doesn't rely on his line and the refs to prevent him from being touched. Remember, the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at qb, and the Ravens were 5-11 the year before they drafted Flacco. I think Flacco, Rodgers, Brees, and Manning should all be ahead of Brady, who in my opinion, is the most overrated athlete in any sport of this generation.

I have said many times that Brady wouldn't have the numbers he has without a decade of one of the best O-lines in the league, Ditto for Manning and Brees.
If we can keep a stong O-line for Flacco and Rice you will see Joe out play those guys again just like in the post season. Everyone was saying he was inconsistant through the regular season, but I say it was the O-line that was inconsistant.

You can't take it away from Brady, as much as I don't like the gal, She is a good QB, they built that offence around her and they are a passing team, Ms Brady will continue to put up big #. I do believe she and Manning are getting past there prime and Joe is just starting to Gell.

[quote name='bioLarzen' timestamp='1360352039' post='1350484']
Tat's just so hard to determnie - because QB's have to do so many different things - and the success they can achieve is always dependent on the whole team. It's very easy to rank 100 meter dasshers - because there's really only one thing they have to do: run 100 meters in as little time as they can. The guy who can run 100 meters the fastest (assuming there's no cheating involved) is the #1 100 meter rusher - not too much to argue there... But QB's... Who's the "best QB"? The one that has the strongest arm? the one that can throw the most accurate? The one that's the most versatile? The one that offers the most consistent good performance? The one that can always perform well when it really counts? Or the one that has achieved the most?

We could have a set of criteria based on which the best QB is Brady. Or another that would give us Peyton as the best QB. We could argue that Montana or Flacco is the best QB...

This is one debate that is never gonna be settled - because it's impossible to settle it. But really, who cares? We've won the bling, Flacco had an outstanding playoff run and he definitely is the Ravens' long term solution at QB - isn't that the real important thing?

bio
[/quote]

except for one thing, nowhere in my post did I say he was the best QB in the league (I believe he is, but that is just my belief). Your post makes valid points, except you shouldn't have quoted mine, as our posts were basically about different topics.

Any way we can get the entire interview with Letterman & Harbaugh? Fell asleep waiting for it to come on. CBS's site is only showing excerpts like the one above. Wish we could see it in entirety.

[quote name='bioLarzen' timestamp='1360352039' post='1350484']

bio
[/quote]

I completely agree with everything you said, except no one is trying to "settle" this debate. People just like weighing in and discussing the different aspects of what makes a better qb, who has been the best, and why. Everyone knows that there are no official qb rankings, and they don't really mean anything. The fact that there is no exact, set criteria is what makes it so open for discussion and fun to debate.

[quote name='Berkeley_Raven' timestamp='1360335205' post='1350223']
They reported Joe's "plot" last night on the SF local news...Poor fools thought he was serious.

That's our Joe...so cool, most people don't even realize it when he's joking...
[/quote] The mains stream media has been all over that one. And they still can't let go of the "no call." HAHAHAHA...I love all these sore losers, still crying.

Baltimore Ravens are the Super Bowl Champs!!!

That - is - all!

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1360345509' post='1350367']
You think this is gonna be a long off-season for us....think about the 49ers OMG
[/quote]

Absolutely. Every off-season comes with personnel losses that sting. It is so much nicer having these personnel conversations coming off a Super Bowl win. I mean, just think if we had lost. Nothing would be different regarding the decisions to be made. Flacco would still be commanding basically the same salary and we'd have the same cap issues ... just no trophy there to celebrate as we look to the future.

yanno, brady can put up impressive numbers, but look at his main competition. their toughest competition is the jets!! the jets for gosh sakes. we have to deal with the likes of the steelers 2 games a year and they're consistently 1 2 or 3 in defense. the browns are no slouches on defense either.

[quote]John didn’t know what play Flacco audibled to on third-and-1 in the fourth quarter.
When Flacco stood to throw, John said, “He’s throwing the damn ball? You’ve got to be kidding me.”
When Anquan Boldin leapt to catch it, John simply responded with a “Wow.”
Sitting on the bench, Lewis said, “That’s a bold damn statement.”[/quote]

Joe has ice-water in his veins ! The way those balls were falling into the receivers hands was amazing/

That's not what Donavon was saying before the SB he was saying oh Colin is the next best thing and he's gonna outgun Joe and how Joe wasn't close to elite lol I love wagon jumpers they make me laugh

Joe plays in The AFC North which is the roughest, toughest division in the world. Yards are hard to come by. I betcha if we did a metric relative to the other divisions he would be "ELITE"! We play a tough schendule too! Now given, Joe should settle for franchise tag price and then performance bonuses based on playoff wins!

Flacco is a good QB. Servicable, durable, clutch and a canon arm. He reminds me of Terry Bradshaw. We must keep a offensive line that can handle the 3rd down blitz and we will be fine. Flacco must be sensitive to this because he will be a sizable portion of the salary. Take the 16M laden with bonuses. Imagine if he take another 4M and we lost depth at the offensive line. That means that any QB in that slot would be ineffective. I hope Ozzie and front office can resolve this.

For the longest time, I would argue with the best that Flacco was not "Elite". Peyton Manning is my favorite QB in this era, and I could never see Flacco in the same league. Now, I must say this....they are 2 individuals with 2 different styles. I must respect Flacco's numbers n his style of play....I apologize to Flacco.......You are "Elite" in your own way!