Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I AM LEGEND

Cam Cameron is getting a ring

45 posts in this topic

neither do I, I wonder we can get a video or interview of him getting a ring, just like to hear what's he saying...

He was completely instrumental to this playoff run

If he didn't suck so bad, we would be winning and Ray wouldnt have retired

If Ray's retirement was imminent, the team would have no cause to play for

If the team had no cause to play for, we wouldnt have cut him

If we wouldnt have cut him, Oher would still be on the left

If Oher were still on the left, receiver wouldnt have time to get open

If receivers dont have time to get open, Flacco doesnt hit Jacoby for a 70 yd td

If Flacco doesnt do that, He doesn't become a elite

If he doesnt become elite, we dont get a superbowl win

I have a major problem with this. Cam Cameron actively tried to interfere with this team's success. Ineptitude should not be rewarded.

Participation trophies are bad enough in youth sports, giving out participation Lombardi rings just cheapens the value for people that were actually helpful.

I've stated my feelings in the other thread but I will do so again, since a new thread was started. Cam deserves the ring he's getting. His flaw was being a horrendous play-caller. But he laid the foundation to our offense.

This is his offense, but there is a different (more effective) person calling the plays. Cam was instrumental in bringing in the pieces (either by draft or FA) that helped make this offense run. Jacoby Jones, Torrey Smith, Pitta. Cam had a big say in bringing these guys in to fit the Air Coryell.

And let's not deny the fact that two of his former QBs have gone on to win the SB. Sure he didn't coach them there. But perhaps his hard headiness actually helped make these QBs who they are post-Cam.

Always liked Cam even when I thought he should've been fired. Glad he's getting a ring. He's been a good help over the years, too.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1360287538' post='1349763']
I have a major problem with this. Cam Cameron actively tried to interfere with this team's success.
[/quote]

This isn't correct. He didn't "actively" interfere with anything. He was doing what he thought would bring success. He was wrong, but he didn't purposefully try to make us lose.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1360287538' post='1349763']
I have a major problem with this. Cam Cameron actively tried to interfere with this team's success. Ineptitude should not be rewarded.

Participation trophies are bad enough in youth sports, giving out participation Lombardi rings just cheapens the value for people that were actually helpful.
[/quote]

Are you serious? How can you say that?!

We ran HIS offense. HIS offense, Caldwell might of called the plays but it was Cam's offense! Cam has his blame but Caldwell didn't impress me with the 3 remaining games after Cam's departure until (like I said all season) Bryant McKinnie returned to the line getting KO and Oher in their natural positions...

Also, I appreciate how he didn't become a distraction. He came out and said he supported the move. He didn't point fingers are slander our guys when he had the chance.

He also has good relationships with the people on this team.

Poor Cam.
People forget how dramatically our offense improved when he became our OC.
Simple reality is he plateaued. He still did a fairly decent job at that. Not stellar.

I am glad he got a ring. He earned it and he deserves it. He has dealt with the firing with complete and total class.

Like it or not Cam IS a RAVEN.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1360288328' post='1349775']
I've stated my feelings in the other thread but I will do so again, since a new thread was started. Cam deserves the ring he's getting. His flaw was being a horrendous play-caller. But he laid the foundation to our offense.

This is his offense, but there is a different (more effective) person calling the plays. Cam was instrumental in bringing in the pieces (either by draft or FA) that helped make this offense run. Jacoby Jones, Torrey Smith, Pitta. Cam had a big say in bringing these guys in to fit the Air Coryell.

And let's not deny the fact that two of his former QBs have gone on to win the SB. Sure he didn't coach them there. But perhaps his hard headiness actually helped make these QBs who they are post-Cam.
[/quote]

Not to mention that his style of play calling does help with the development of young QBs. It allows them to play football and concentrate on basics. Relieves some of the pressure. He just had a major issue with relinquishing the control when it was time. Oh and his predictable beyond belief play calling.

He needed to be fired for us to get where we are but he also deserves a ring.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1360288593' post='1349782']
[size=4]We ran HIS offense. HIS offense, Caldwell might of called the plays but it was Cam's offense! Cam has his blame but Caldwell didn't impress me with the 3 remaining games after Cam's departure until (like I said all season) Bryant McKinnie returned to the line getting KO and Oher in their natural positions...[/size]
[/quote]

Bunch, stack, motion, short passing: things we never saw with Cam. Caldwell might have been using the expanded version of the Cam playbook, but in no way was that Cam's offense. Things were done after his departure that were never done before, or at least not consistently, and that's more than enough for me to believe that it wasn't really his offense.

good for him. it's the right thing to do! but don't get it twisted...had he still been here, we wouldn't be celebrating our incredible playoff run that was capped off by a Superbowl Championship and our QB...Joe Flacco being the MVP! lol!

~Mili

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1360291752' post='1349843']
Bunch, stack, motion, short passing: things we never saw with Cam. Caldwell might have been using the expanded version of the Cam playbook, but in no way was that Cam's offense. Things were done after his departure that were never done before, or at least not consistently, and that's more than enough for me to believe that it wasn't really his offense.
[/quote]

Because he had to use extra guys in pass protection....

I think we'll be better next season without him, but I think it's great that he's getting one. You constantly hear teams talking about how the end of the season is just the result of everything that's happened all the way back to OTA's. Just as everybody in IR and the practice squad gets a ring, Cam was with us more than he wasn't, and deserves one, too.

Well, if Cam is getting a ring (for holding Joe back the last 5 years), then could I get one too? ...Caldwell took the straightjacket off.
Naw really, he may deserve one if the staff approves.

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Like most, I couldn't stand Cam as a play-caller, but after I read the interview with him about his being released and his thoughts on the team making a Super Bowl run -- I can't help but admire the guy. He was instrumental to our success for the last five-years, glad to see he is being rewarded for laying the foundation to our offense. I still wish him the best, wherever he lands.[/font][/i]

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1360288593' post='1349782']
Are you serious? How can you say that?!

We ran HIS offense. HIS offense, Caldwell might of called the plays but it was Cam's offense! Cam has his blame but Caldwell didn't impress me with the 3 remaining games after Cam's departure until (like I said all season) Bryant McKinnie returned to the line getting KO and Oher in their natural positions...
[/quote]
You weren't impressed with the Giants game? As much as Caldwell did use the exact same playbook, Caldwell also simplified things to get Joe easy completions, found ways to scheme against press man etc. The pass protection issue certainly helped but we had the exact same Oline last year if you swap Osemele with Grubbs and Cameron still left something to be desired.

Cam deserves a ring, there's no question about that in my mind. This was his offense since 2008 and Cam was really the first OCoord that we had who knew how to score some points (also the first one working with a real QB), Cam deserves a ring more than dudes on the practice squad.

Cam deserves it...
No questions asked, he was the first real good OC we had...

It's not that he was horrible,but we knew we needed an upgrade

[quote name='Footman DCXLV' timestamp='1360302717' post='1350078']
[b]I think we'll be better next season without him,[/b] but I think it's great that he's getting one. You constantly hear teams talking about how the end of the season is just the result of everything that's happened all the way back to OTA's. Just as everybody in IR and the practice squad gets a ring, Cam was with us more than he wasn't, and deserves one, too.
[/quote]

I think its going to be interesting. Caldwell is going to have a chance to install his own offense. Now does he veer away from our base (Air Coryell) or does he stick with the foundation that Cam laid that won us the SB?

Let's say he does install a 'fresh' offense in the offseason/TC with a significant amount of play changes, will it be as effective?

A lot of things for Caldwell to think about in the upcoming months.

Cam Cameron deserves his ring. As much as I believe Caldwell has set Flacco free, the plays that Caldwell was calling was still Cam's plays, he was simply able to call Cam's plays better then Cam was. Besides, the team was just two seconds in the end zone in New England from going to the Superbowl with Cam as the OC.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1360294956' post='1349911']
Because he had to use extra guys in pass protection....
[/quote]

That's not a valid excuse. Using a short passing game would have helped get the ball out of Joe's hands faster, helping pass protection. Bunch and stack concepts would have helped receivers who are notoriously bad at beating man coverage to separate, helping get the ball out of Joe's hands faster. The things that Cam refused to do that Caldwell did do helped pass protection. Cam's constant go routes and long developing plays were a major reason we were always in such dire straits in terms of down and distance.

Cam is great at developing quarterbacks, no question about it. And I've said many times he was instrumental in developing Joe. He was on the staff, deserves a ring. I don't believe we would have won the ring without firing him and changing the design of the offensive playcalling. But I don't have a problem with him receiving a Superbowl ring.

Look at our offense in 2008 with Cam as OC with a rookie qb, and a fb as our go to running back. Compare it to the 2007 Offense under Brian Billick with a 5th year QB and Mcgahee who had a career year. Night and day.

We had the best offense in Ravens history this year. He deserves it.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1360288776' post='1349783']
Also, I appreciate how he didn't become a distraction. He came out and said he supported the move. He didn't point fingers are slander our guys when he had the chance.

He also has good relationships with the people on this team.
[/quote]
I agree with all this. When they let him go, he respectfully bowed out and it was done. I really don't think he could have been any classier about it.

I'm glad he's getting a ring. While I don't particularly agree with everything he did while he was with the team, I think he definitely deserves it.

[quote name='JEEPercreepermd' timestamp='1360342758' post='1350335']
Look at our offense in 2008 with Cam as OC with a rookie qb, and a fb as our go to running back. Compare it to the 2007 Offense under Brian Billick with a 5th year QB and Mcgahee who had a career year. Night and day.

We had the best offense in Ravens history this year. He deserves it.
[/quote]
It's a good system, he just isn't a gamer.

I guess cool, but its not likes its a ring that wont be tainted for him. No one is every going to really consider it a valid ring, considering we EXPLODED on offense immediately following his departure.

Blast away if you like, but Cam is an offensive genius, helped this Team in a tremedous way and deserves a ring.

That said, he is an unimaginative play caller and as stubborn as they come. Just not the complete package.

It shouldn't be a question whether he gets one or not. He was with this team the majority of the season, he's helped alot while holding us back at the same time.

If we fired last season then HELL NO. But that's not the case.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1360345398' post='1350366']
I guess cool, but its not likes its a ring that wont be tainted for him. No one is every going to really consider it a valid ring, considering we EXPLODED on offense immediately following his departure.
[/quote]

You gave me a way to accept this. It is not a valid ring.

They should cubic zirconia in Cam's ring.

[/quote]
This is very true

[/quote]

Eh, I don't think anyone would view it as "invalid". Receiving the ring validates his involvement in the success of the 2012 Ravens. Sure, everyone knows we improved after he left, but they also know we would not have been there were it not for his work. Like I said previously, offensive genius, terrible, unimaginative play caller.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1360346214' post='1350375']
You gave me a way to accept this. It is not a valid ring.

They should cubic zirconia in Cam's ring.
[/quote]
He'll still probably meet Obama with us though haha. And lol

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1360346294' post='1350378']
Eh, I don't think anyone would view it as "invalid". Receiving the ring validates his involvement in the success of the 2012 Ravens. Sure, everyone knows we improved after he left, but they also know we would not have been there were it not for his work. Like I said previously, offensive genius, terrible, unimaginative play caller.
[/quote]
But Cameron probably knows that if he was still with us we wouldn't be there. And for the fact that we won it, and he didn't experience all the festivities.

If I was a player (Like Webb or McBean) and my team won it while I was hurt, there would definitely be an asterisk there for me when I look back on it. Not so much Webb because he put his work in, and he's one of the best. But just because I couldn't play in the big game.

[quote name='awholelottahaloti' timestamp='1360346294' post='1350378']

[/quote]

I think it is the very definition of invalid, in that we are essentially gifting him one due to his length of tenure with the team and relationship with John prior to getting s-canned! I truly feel we would have missed the SB if it were not for his firing.

I understand the distaste for him because of his coaching, but I don't understand how some people can say they don't like him. Cam is a great person. Anyone remember the My Wish story about him meeting with a kid with leukemia, and what he did for the kid. Cam Cameron absolutely deserves a SB ring. He was key in Flacco's career until Flacco outgrew his offense. While we may not have won with him, he was a major factor in where we were as a playoff team THIS year, even though he wasnt with the team for its run.

[quote name='bdravens' timestamp='1360350586' post='1350459']
I understand the distaste for him because of his coaching, but I don't understand how some people can say they don't like him. Cam is a great person. Anyone remember the My Wish story about him meeting with a kid with leukemia, and what he did for the kid. Cam Cameron absolutely deserves a SB ring. He was key in Flacco's career until Flacco outgrew his offense. While we may not have won with him, he was a major factor in where we were as a playoff team THIS year, [b]even though he wasnt with the team for its run.[/b[
[/quote]

The off the field stuff is great, but we're not talking about that.

The bolded part - Would there have been a "run" with Cam, is my main gripe? Sadly for him, I think the answer is no and clearly the FO thinks that as well.

[b] Report: Cam Cameron to be new OC for LSU [/b]

Bleacher Report tells me things that baffle me sometimes :S

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1360347674' post='1350402']
I think it is the very definition of invalid, in that we are essentially gifting him one due to his length of tenure with the team and relationship with John prior to getting s-canned! I truly feel we would have missed the SB if it were not for his firing.
[/quote]

Agreed. The play calling probably would have doomed us. But would we have gotten there without CCs coaching and offense? Maybe so, but he does deserve some credit. After all, Caldwell sure didn't have to start from scratch.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1360351692' post='1350478']

The off the field stuff is great, but we're not talking about that.

The bolded part - Would there have been a "run" with Cam, is my main gripe? Sadly for him, I think the answer is no and clearly the FO thinks that as well.
[/quote]
I gotcha, I was just saying that I understood why people thought he didn't deserve one as a coach, but not why some people seem like it's personal.

I agree, I don't think we would've made it here with him this year. However, we were a drop away from him calling us to a Super Bowl last year - even though Flacco's play was stellar. So I believe that, since he was a part of the team for a large part of the season and did well at times, he should get one.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360303345' post='1350090']
You weren't impressed with the Giants game? As much as Caldwell did use the exact same playbook, Caldwell also simplified things to get Joe easy completions, found ways to scheme against press man etc. The pass protection issue certainly helped but we had the exact same Oline last year if you swap Osemele with Grubbs and Cameron still left something to be desired.

Cam deserves a ring, there's no question about that in my mind. This was his offense since 2008 and Cam was really the first OCoord that we had who knew how to score some points (also the first one working with a real QB), Cam deserves a ring more than dudes on the practice squad.
[/quote]

Joe Flacco's game last year versus patriots is what I thought this season would be like but with the shuffling of the line, Flacco's decision making and play calling as well, it just never happened until we got into the playoffs this year.