56 replies to this topic

#41 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Other than the fact that each team had Ray Lewis and won a super bowl, these teams aren't really comparable, but are both great in their respective ways. That 2000 defense was a top 3 defense of all time, and it carried the Ravens to a super bowl birth. Dilfer isn't even half the Qb Flacco is. This 2012 team, the defense made the key stops, but it was the offense and Flacco that took us and won a Super Bowl.

Lol Dilfer isn't half the QB most backups are.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#42 GTRavens

GTRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

CBs close call with Webb healthy
Safety 2012

Both of these easily go to 2000, regardless of Webb's health. CMac was playing at a high level right away, Duane Starks was a playoff monster, Rod Woodson was still playing at a HOF level, and Kim Herring was no slouch himself.

#43 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

The 2000 Ravens squad certainly have a mystique that I think has grown with age. But those boys played in a different era, and the NFL has since changed a lot of rules in seeming spite of the 2000 Ravens dominance.

I could see the 2012 Ravens beating the 2000 Ravens head to head simply because we didn't have an offense that was explosive. We didn't face a QB with arm talent like Flacco either, and there were only a very small handful of QB's that were considered HOF worthy at that time.

Think about that in 2000 the ONLY QB still worth a salt was Brett Favre. Manning was still up and coming, and Brady wasn't in the league. Elway and Marino were recently retired, and this era of football saw the pendulum swing back to strong defensive play.

I have often wondered how our 2000 defense would fair with the schedule we've had in recent years. I just don't think that squad would have scored enough points to win enough games.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#44 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Both of these easily go to 2000, regardless of Webb's health. CMac was playing at a high level right away, Duane Starks was a playoff monster, Rod Woodson was still playing at a HOF level, and Kim Herring was no slouch himself.

Webb healthy isnt any less dynamic then CMAC..and he doesnt have a drinking problem, shows up to games and is a class act.

#45 GTRavens

GTRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Webb healthy isnt any less dynamic then CMAC..and he doesnt have a drinking problem, shows up to games and is a class act.

Yes, but CMac in 2000 was probably even better than Webb in 2012 (though very good, he wasn't as dominant as he was in 2011). And Duane Starks blows Cary Williams out of the water. And the safeties aren't even comparable.

#46 I AM LEGEND

I AM LEGEND

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Chris Mac was slightly better than webb..remember chris being a notch under shutdown

#47 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yes, but CMac in 2000 was probably even better than Webb in 2012 (though very good, he wasn't as dominant as he was in 2011). And Duane Starks blows Cary Williams out of the water. And the safeties aren't even comparable.

Umm... Ed Reed is better then Rod Woodson.. Not mention, we have better depth on the 2012 team. Chykie Brown, Corey Graham, Jimmy Smith.

Edited by H8R, 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#48 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

The 2000 Ravens squad certainly have a mystique that I think has grown with age. But those boys played in a different era, and the NFL has since changed a lot of rules in seeming spite of the 2000 Ravens dominance.

I could see the 2012 Ravens beating the 2000 Ravens head to head simply because we didn't have an offense that was explosive. We didn't face a QB with arm talent like Flacco either, and there were only a very small handful of QB's that were considered HOF worthy at that time.

Think about that in 2000 the ONLY QB still worth a salt was Brett Favre. Manning was still up and coming, and Brady wasn't in the league. Elway and Marino were recently retired, and this era of football saw the pendulum swing back to strong defensive play.

I have often wondered how our 2000 defense would fair with the schedule we've had in recent years. I just don't think that squad would have scored enough points to win enough games.

We played a soft QB schedule, thats for sure. The 2012 team beat FAR bette competition to make it to the dance.

#49 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,741 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Chris Mac was slightly better than webb..remember chris being a notch under shutdown

I don't know about 2000 but he was every bit a shut-down CB in '06.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#50 GTRavens

GTRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Umm... Ed Reed is better then Rod Woodson.. Not mention, we have better depth on the 2012 team. Chykie Brown, Corey Graham, Jimmy Smith.

2012 Ed Reed is about 300 trillion levels below 2000 Rod Woodson. The 2000 secondary had depth too.

#51 RedFire

RedFire

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

2006 Ravens with healthy McNair beats both teams!

Rolle and McCalister at corner allows ED reed to roam all day! That 2006 defense was the truth! If Air McNair could have thrown the ball more than 20yrds we would have had the title.

Food for thought. Y'all do the dishes....

#52 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

I don't know about 2000 but he was every bit a shut-down CB in '06.

He was better in 2000, he could run better. May not have been as knowledgeable on route concepts, but having said that CMac never was crossed up once on an assignment in the playoff run, that much I know for sure. Or at least if he did he played it off well and someone else picked up the guy/zone he was supposed to be covering lol.

Edited by Bltravens, 07 February 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#53 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

A notch below shutdown? From 2000-2005 and maybe 2006 the best 3 corners in the league were Ty Law, Champ and McAlister.

Edited by Bltravens, 07 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#54 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think he is. CMac's off field issues didn't hurt him until 2007 when he started getting hurt because he wasn't in prime shape. The only thing Webb has on CMac is his ability to play inside, which is a phenomenal attribute to have. But McAlister was the prototypical outside CB in his prime, a top 3 CB from 2000-2005 and maybe 2006. Webb's a damn good player, but it feels like you're holding McAlister's personality and actions off the field against him in your comparison.

Edited by Bltravens, 07 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#55 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,741 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

He was better in 2000, he could run better. May not have been as knowledgeable on route concepts, but having said that CMac never was crossed up once on an assignment in the playoff run, that much I know for sure.

Not surprised. The athleticism he showed on his pick in the Super Bowl was amazing.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#56 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

2012 Ed Reed is about 300 trillion levels below 2000 Rod Woodson. The 2000 secondary had depth too.

No way is this accurate... Rod Woodson and Ed Reeds stats are very similar when comparing 2000 to 2012. Not to mention, Ed Scored a TD . Woodson didn't have the range of Ed Reed.. He was a great DB, but Ed Reed has the BEST ball skills of all times. The 2000 corners were press man.. most of which would be a penalty in today's game.

#57 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,581 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I think he is. CMac's off field issues didn't hurt him until 2007 when he started getting hurt because he wasn't in prime shape. The only thing Webb has on CMac is his ability to play inside, which is a phenomenal attribute to have. But McAlister was the prototypical outside CB in his prime, a top 3 CB from 2000-2005 and maybe 2006. Webb's a damn good player, but it feels like you're holding McAlister's personality and actions off the field against him in your comparison.

Webb can play inside, or outside. didn't give up a single TD all last season. He has incredible ball skills, can return punts at an elite level and he's a violent hitter . I just think that CMACs game wouldn't fly in today's NFL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users