Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I AM LEGEND

2000 Ravens vs 2012 Ravens

57 posts in this topic

Man I just went through some of the 2000 Ravens twitter handles, theres a lot of love from guys like Goose, Duane Starks, Qadry Ismail etc

Agreed. Gotta go with 2000 team.

Even though 2012 had the best playoff run ever imo. ....

Idon't know. I wouldn't be suprised to see Joe leading a game winning drive against the 2000 squad. Both were great teams, and great stories. 2012 season had to be funner/more amazing then 2000. (I was really young, just hardly remember it). I know our D was the greatest ever and Stover led our offense lol.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1360223782' post='1348920']
Man I just went through some of the 2000 Ravens twitter handles, theres a lot of love from guys like Goose, Duane Starks, Qadry Ismail etc
[/quote]
Didn't even know Goose had a twitter...Thanks! lol

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1360222727' post='1348906']
2000 hands down

2012 offense wouldn't get a TD... Just FG's
[/quote]

FGs might be enough. Look at the 06 team, they lost with just FGs. lol.

I still say we have more talent on the 2012 team. With Webb at 100 percent, Suggs at 100 percent , Ngata at 100 percent, McKinney would shut down the pass rush on the left side. He shut down much better pass rushers then Boulware and Sharper, McCrary. None of those guys could get after it like Von Miller, Dwight Freeney or Aldon Smith.

Oline Close call
WR 2012
QB 2012
RB close call edge to 2000
TE 2000
FB too close to call

Dline 2000
LBs 2000
CBs close call with Webb healthy
Safety 2012
Special teams 2012. Jacoby broke almost every ravens return record
Head coach 2012
DC 2000
OC 2012

Boy, what a difference firing the inhibitor of the offense did for us... before firing Cameron, we were talking about the playoffs like it was a bit of a pipe dream... then when we fire Cameron, we not only have a Super Bowl ring, but we also are talking about maybe beating the 2000 Ravens as well. "Hate to say I told ya so, but I'm gonna" with firing Cameron, I think this offense has unlimited potential, as we saw in the playoffs. There is no telling what the ceiling is with our offense, but there is also no telling if we can keep up the consistency either. Thus, I'm going with the 2000 Ravens. The 2000 Ravens weren't even average offensively, but with the run attack they had, the best defense ever, and with the deadly duo of Stover/Jermaine Lewis coming at you, they were at the very least consistent. While I think that firing Cam has everything to do with what we've just seen from Flacco during the playoff run, I'm still waiting to see if he can keep that up consistently in the regular season before saying that he could beat the 2000 Ravens D. I mean, that D had pass rushers left and right, and they were aggressive... they could probably lure Flacc into throwing INT's, and with how punishing they were, they could probably get some fumbles from Rice as well.

2000 Ravens- 13 (TD coming from Jermaine Lewis)
2012 Ravens- 7

2006 Ravens with healthy McNair beats both teams!

Rolle and McCalister at corner allows ED reed to roam all day! That 2006 defense was the truth! If Air McNair could have thrown the ball more than 20yrds we would have had the title.

Q versus C-Mac would have been fun match-up to watch. Same goes for Leach against Ray, Sharper and Boulware.

The 2000 Ravens would beat the brakes off of this team, though I love this team more.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1360253215' post='1349123']
The 2000 Ravens would beat the brakes off of this team, though I love this team more.
[/quote]

I agree. The 2000 Ravens D is all-time great, while the 2012 Ravens O is "just" great. Both the 2000 Ravens O and the 2012 Ravens D are average with a few play makers more on the 2012 defense.
Even, if the 2012 team didn't dominate the way the 2000 team did, they had to overcome bigger odds and setbacks, which makes them a bit more like able in my opinion as well. Plus, it was pretty sweet to watch them prove doubters wrong throughout the playoffs.

[quote name='Oh This Ravens Fan' timestamp='1360187020' post='1348123']
Other than the fact that each team had Ray Lewis and won a super bowl, these teams aren't really comparable, but are both great in their respective ways. That 2000 defense was a top 3 defense of all time, and it carried the Ravens to a super bowl birth. Dilfer isn't even half the Qb Flacco is. This 2012 team, the defense made the key stops, but it was the offense and Flacco that took us and won a Super Bowl.
[/quote]Lol Dilfer isn't half the QB most backups are.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1360243922' post='1348996']
CBs close call with Webb healthy
Safety 2012
[/quote]

Both of these easily go to 2000, regardless of Webb's health. CMac was playing at a high level right away, Duane Starks was a playoff monster, Rod Woodson was still playing at a HOF level, and Kim Herring was no slouch himself.

The 2000 Ravens squad certainly have a mystique that I think has grown with age. But those boys played in a different era, and the NFL has since changed a lot of rules in seeming spite of the 2000 Ravens dominance.

I could see the 2012 Ravens beating the 2000 Ravens head to head simply because we didn't have an offense that was explosive. We didn't face a QB with arm talent like Flacco either, and there were only a very small handful of QB's that were considered HOF worthy at that time.

Think about that in 2000 the ONLY QB still worth a salt was Brett Favre. Manning was still up and coming, and Brady wasn't in the league. Elway and Marino were recently retired, and this era of football saw the pendulum swing back to strong defensive play.

I have often wondered how our 2000 defense would fair with the schedule we've had in recent years. I just don't think that squad would have scored enough points to win enough games.

[quote name='GTRavens' timestamp='1360261224' post='1349289']
Both of these easily go to 2000, regardless of Webb's health. CMac was playing at a high level right away, Duane Starks was a playoff monster, Rod Woodson was still playing at a HOF level, and Kim Herring was no slouch himself.
[/quote]

Webb healthy isnt any less dynamic then CMAC..and he doesnt have a drinking problem, shows up to games and is a class act.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1360268405' post='1349427']
Webb healthy isnt any less dynamic then CMAC..and he doesnt have a drinking problem, shows up to games and is a class act.
[/quote]

Yes, but CMac in 2000 was probably even better than Webb in 2012 (though very good, he wasn't as dominant as he was in 2011). And Duane Starks blows Cary Williams out of the water. And the safeties aren't even comparable.

[quote name='GTRavens' timestamp='1360269282' post='1349444']
Yes, but CMac in 2000 was probably even better than Webb in 2012 (though very good, he wasn't as dominant as he was in 2011). And Duane Starks blows Cary Williams out of the water. And the safeties aren't even comparable.
[/quote]

Umm... Ed Reed is better then Rod Woodson.. Not mention, we have better depth on the 2012 team. Chykie Brown, Corey Graham, Jimmy Smith.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1360262292' post='1349307']
The 2000 Ravens squad certainly have a mystique that I think has grown with age. But those boys played in a different era, and the NFL has since changed a lot of rules in seeming spite of the 2000 Ravens dominance.

I could see the 2012 Ravens beating the 2000 Ravens head to head simply because we didn't have an offense that was explosive. We didn't face a QB with arm talent like Flacco either, and there were only a very small handful of QB's that were considered HOF worthy at that time.

Think about that in 2000 the ONLY QB still worth a salt was Brett Favre. Manning was still up and coming, and Brady wasn't in the league. Elway and Marino were recently retired, and this era of football saw the pendulum swing back to strong defensive play.

I have often wondered how our 2000 defense would fair with the schedule we've had in recent years. I just don't think that squad would have scored enough points to win enough games.
[/quote]

We played a soft QB schedule, thats for sure. The 2012 team beat FAR bette competition to make it to the dance.

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1360269529' post='1349448']
Chris Mac was slightly better than webb..remember chris being a notch under shutdown
[/quote]

I don't know about 2000 but he was every bit a shut-down CB in '06.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1360270247' post='1349460']
Umm... Ed Reed is better then Rod Woodson.. Not mention, we have better depth on the 2012 team. Chykie Brown, Corey Graham, Jimmy Smith.
[/quote]

2012 Ed Reed is about 300 trillion levels below 2000 Rod Woodson. The 2000 secondary had depth too.

[quote name='RedFire' timestamp='1360246444' post='1349011']
2006 Ravens with healthy McNair beats both teams!

Rolle and McCalister at corner allows ED reed to roam all day! That 2006 defense was the truth! If Air McNair could have thrown the ball more than 20yrds we would have had the title.
[/quote]

Food for thought. Y'all do the dishes....

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1360270510' post='1349466']
I don't know about 2000 but he was every bit a shut-down CB in '06.
[/quote]
He was better in 2000, he could run better. May not have been as knowledgeable on route concepts, but having said that CMac never was crossed up once on an assignment in the playoff run, that much I know for sure. Or at least if he did he played it off well and someone else picked up the guy/zone he was supposed to be covering lol.

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1360269529' post='1349448']
Chris Mac was slightly better than webb..remember chris being a notch under shutdown
[/quote]
A notch below shutdown? From 2000-2005 and maybe 2006 the best 3 corners in the league were Ty Law, Champ and McAlister.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1360268405' post='1349427']
[b]Webb healthy isnt any less dynamic then CMAC[/b]..and he doesnt have a drinking problem, shows up to games and is a class act.
[/quote]
I think he is. CMac's off field issues didn't hurt him until 2007 when he started getting hurt because he wasn't in prime shape. The only thing Webb has on CMac is his ability to play inside, which is a phenomenal attribute to have. But McAlister was the prototypical outside CB in his prime, a top 3 CB from 2000-2005 and maybe 2006. Webb's a damn good player, but it feels like you're holding McAlister's personality and actions off the field against him in your comparison.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360274179' post='1349543']
He was better in 2000, he could run better. May not have been as knowledgeable on route concepts, but having said that CMac never was crossed up once on an assignment in the playoff run, that much I know for sure.
[/quote]

Not surprised. The athleticism he showed on his pick in the Super Bowl was amazing.

[quote name='GTRavens' timestamp='1360271134' post='1349484']

2012 Ed Reed is about 300 trillion levels below 2000 Rod Woodson. The 2000 secondary had depth too.
[/quote]

No way is this accurate... Rod Woodson and Ed Reeds stats are very similar when comparing 2000 to 2012. Not to mention, Ed Scored a TD . Woodson didn't have the range of Ed Reed.. He was a great DB, but Ed Reed has the BEST ball skills of all times. The 2000 corners were press man.. most of which would be a penalty in today's game.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360274561' post='1349552']

I think he is. CMac's off field issues didn't hurt him until 2007 when he started getting hurt because he wasn't in prime shape. The only thing Webb has on CMac is his ability to play inside, which is a phenomenal attribute to have. But McAlister was the prototypical outside CB in his prime, a top 3 CB from 2000-2005 and maybe 2006. Webb's a damn good player, but it feels like you're holding McAlister's personality and actions off the field against him in your comparison.
[/quote]

Webb can play inside, or outside. didn't give up a single TD all last season. He has incredible ball skills, can return punts at an elite level and he's a violent hitter . I just think that CMACs game wouldn't fly in today's NFL.