Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I AM LEGEND

2000 Ravens vs 2012 Ravens

57 posts in this topic

Make ur case...

This is POST-SEASON team edition...so when comparing think about what each team exhibited during their respective playoff and superbowl run...so for instance its not the 2000 defense vs 2012's inconsistent regular season Joe Flacco its against the 11TD 0Int playoff Flacco

I know what most will say...but a efficient flacco who doesn't turn the ball over and our 2012 defense with some big names should be able to give dilfer a tough time..

I'm still going with 2000 Ravens...

9-7

Field position type game...Dilfer doesn't do much but his defense helps set up 3 easy Fg attempts..Flacco gets a TD pass to Rice.

The 2000 Ravens were better. Best defense of all time. At the end of the day, both of these Super Bowls are things to be extremely proud of. However, the 2000 Ravens I think are a top 5 team of all time, this team was just the hottest at the end of the season. Don't matter to me, though. Thrilled to add another ring.

Baltimore Ravens 2 time Super Bowl Champs... 2000 and 2012!

Other than the fact that each team had Ray Lewis and won a super bowl, these teams aren't really comparable, but are both great in their respective ways. That 2000 defense was a top 3 defense of all time, and it carried the Ravens to a super bowl birth. Dilfer isn't even half the Qb Flacco is. This 2012 team, the defense made the key stops, but it was the offense and Flacco that took us and won a Super Bowl.

[quote name='ooo sugahhh 52' timestamp='1360186524' post='1348112']
fun question

better return ace- jacoby or jermaine?
[/quote]

personally I would say jacoby

fun question

[/quote]

In the back of my mind I always felt Jacoby had a big fumble coming...thank God I was wrong about that..

The way I see it. The obvious match up would be 2012 Ravens Offense versus 2000 Ravens Defense because we both know the Ravens 2000 Offense wouldn't do anything versus the Ravens 2012 Defense and both special teams are a wash.

It would be an interesting game, I would go with 2012 Ravens 10-6.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1360188253' post='1348161']
The way I see it. The obvious match up would be 2012 Ravens Offense versus 2000 Ravens Defense because we both know the Ravens 2000 Offense wouldn't do anything versus the Ravens 2012 Defense and both special teams are a wash.

It would be an interesting game, I would go with 2012 Ravens 10-6.
[/quote]

Wow didn't see that coming

I think the 2000 Ravens would win a field goal match against the 2012 Ravens. Joe's deep ball would put the 2012 team in scoring position, but keep them scoreless most of the game. The 2000 patchwork offense could gain a significant amount of yards on the 2012 defense (like many teams did) but the "bend but don't break" philosophy would stand true, keeping the 2000 offense out of the end zone also. My specific guess? 12-7 '00 Ravens.

2000 Ravens defense are too much for any team in any time cuz they have elite pass rush and run stoppage. I'm looking at the defense will score 21 pts and hold any team with anything less than a FG.

2012 Ravens will outscore any opponent in only 2012 post season cuz of their sudden immergence of the hot offense.

2000 defense should at least win 2 SBs, but due to their abysmal offense, they can afford with only 1 SB.

If 2012 Ravens have 60% of 2000 Ravens defense, they will dominate in this league right now and beyond till our guys getting old.

If 2012 Ravens vs 2000 Ravens, the 2012 Ravens will win with the score of 10-6 cuz Dilfer is another version of Sanchez...

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1360186001' post='1348100']
Make ur case...

This is POST-SEASON team edition...so when comparing think about what each team exhibited during their respective playoff and superbowl run...so for instance its not the 2000 defense vs 2012's inconsistent regular season Joe Flacco its against the 11TD 0Int playoff Flacco

I know what most will say...but a efficient flacco who doesn't turn the ball over and our 2012 defense with some big names should be able to give dilfer a tough time..

I'm still going with 2000 Ravens...

9-7

Field position type game...Dilfer doesn't do much but his defense helps set up 3 easy Fg attempts..Flacco gets a TD pass to Rice.
[/quote]
The 2000 Ravens were arguably the best defense of all time. They could shutdown anyone and acted as an offense that could put up 2-3 TDs off of turnovers. All the Ravens offense would have to do is kick a field goal and its practically game over. Now I gove the 2012 offense the advantage if you compare the 2.

Ends in [u]2000 Ravens:[/u] [b]19[/b] (scoring plays are a Ray Rice Fumble return for a TD, Rushing TD by J-Lew, FG by Mr. Stover-matic, and a blocked punt for a safety) to [u]2012 Ravens:[/u] [b]17[/b] (TD pass by Flacco to Torrey on a deep bomb - our corners then weren't so good against speedy guys, Pick 6 by Cary off Dilfer, and a FG by Tuck).

it's funny, during the parade coverage yesterday csn baltimore's brad jackson (LB from 98-03) said he was talking to brian billick and asked him what would happen if the two teams went head to head. he said billick was very diplomatic and complimented flacco and rice and their receivers, etc, and brad jackson said he told coach billick to just give it to him straight and billick said "they wouldn't have scored on us." lol.

it's a fun scenario to think about; these are two great teams that have written some of the most amazing stories in the history of the nfl in the short existence of the franchise. we as fans couldn't ask for more :]

Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce won't get much against the 2000 defense.

With the ground game shutdown, Flacco has to sling it to get into scoring range.

2000 LB Corps was faster and more aggressive, which could lead to a lot of turnovers or incompletion for Flacco.

Our 2012 defense will have some trouble passing rushing because a healthy Jonathan Ogden vs a half-legged Terrell Suggs with win that fight 9 out of 10. WIth a slower Ray Lewis, I think Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes can gash our 2012 defense for chunks.

Also, Shannon Sharpe is going to abuse the 37 year old Ray Lewis for tons of yards like how Vernon Davis did.

All in all, the 2000 Ravens have a significant advantage in talent wise, but the 2012 team was one of the toughest, resilent, "never say never" team in history. 2000 Ravens dominated the league and should dominate our 2012 Ravens, unless a miracle happens.

The 2012 team was more complete, has more playoff experience.
The 2000 defense would have had 300 penalty yards per game, This makes me say it would be very close. I personally think the 2012 team wins with playoff experience, emotion and a better head coach. 2012 especially wins if ALL players on IR or banged up are 100 percent... since we're talking hypotheticals.

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1360193444' post='1348351']
I swear I thought we'd see a near sweep for the 2000 team...
[/quote]

I just think that the game has changed soo much it would be hard to compare. The Ravens defense in 2000 was greater then the some of its parts. There was only 2 HOFs on that defense, Ray and Rod. The 2012 d has Ray, Ed, Haloti, Suggs. Ray and Ed are automatic, Sizzle and Ngata are likely.

2000 D didn't let you score TDs. Nuff said. Jamal would Run over our D like its nothing.

2012 Bmore offense + 2000 D = best NFL team ever

[quote name='I AM LEGEND' timestamp='1360193444' post='1348351']
I swear I thought we'd see a near sweep for the 2000 team...
[/quote]

Agreed. I don't think there's any comparison. If there was any way to make that possible in anything other than a video game, such as through time travel (LOL), my money is going on the 2000 Ravens.

Every time you tell the 2012 Ravens they can't do something, they shove those words down your throat.
So...everyone is saying they cant beat 2000 Ravens...

Great thread!

fun question

[/quote]

Jermaine Lewis by far in my eyes. Jermaine Lewis played for years on Ravens teams with horrible offenses, opposing teams game planned for the little fellow because often his returns set the offense up with short field position to score 3 or 7 and he occasionally scored himself. People forget how dependent we were on Special Teams to get the big return from Jermaine Lewis and the clutch kick from Matt Stover scoring a TD seemed like heaven at times lol.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1360193789' post='1348358']

I just think that the game has changed soo much it would be hard to compare. The Ravens defense in 2000 was greater then the some of its parts. There was only 2 HOFs on that defense, Ray and Rod. The 2012 d has Ray, Ed, Haloti, Suggs. Ray and Ed are automatic, Sizzle and Ngata are likely.
[/quote]

Well we know that now that 2000 D only had 2 HOFers but at the time Boulware was putting up good sack numbers, pro bowl selections injuries cut him short. Chris McAllister had the talent, for awhile he Champ, C.Woodson were all in the same breath as top CBs, but injuries and personal issues got in the way of his career!

It depends. They don't play defense in the NFL anymore like they did in 2000. If the game is officiated with 2000 NFL rules, the 2000 team wins. But if it's played under 2012 NFL rules, then the 2012 team wins.

As for the game itself, the young Athletic Ray Lewis lead defense with Jamie Sharper & Peter Boulware all three can play all facets of the game as LBs coverage blitz , set the edge also. Young skilled CBs Mcallister & Starks. Woodson ballhawking deep.

The 2012 offense does have weapons but even in the playoffs they had their droughts with scoring against present day defenses.

2000 Ravens would instantly make it a one-dimensional game limiting them too 30-70 yards rushing total. In a battle for field position both teams exchange punts, Jermaine won't fumble any punts ( sorry Jacoby lol). I can't imagine this current defense stopping Jamal Lewis with Sam Gash and that mauling O-line. Every playoff game was filled with missed tackles Colts - Ballard, Broncos- Hillman, Moreno , Patriots - Ridley etc , 49ers Gore ( its acceptable to have broken tackles ). So I could see Jamal Lewis breaking a number of tackles he'd probably drag Kemo 10 yds down field. In the end Stover would seal the deal with game winning FG.
2000 Ravens 19 ( 4 FGs, 1 TD )
2012 Ravens 17. ( 1 FG, 2 TDs )

2000 hands down

2012 offense wouldn't get a TD... Just FG's