Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedFire

Should we send Derrick Mason a ring?

55 posts in this topic

Dude put in work for us to get to this point and wasn't rewarded with a ring. Maybe Todd Heap too. Them dudes kept us afloat through the middle to the end of the last decade on offense.

Maybe we should also send a ring to Kelly Gregg, Ben Grubbs, Jarrett Johnson, Corey Redding and Chris Carr too... after all they did play with us up until a few years ago...

LOL what a joke! The Super Bowl ring goes to the players who won the Super Bowl. Not to people who have played for a team in the last few years but never even made it one time.

^ What he said.

Mase showed love by coming back and retiring so I'm guessing he had an all-access pass to the game.

No, for a couple of reasons.

1 - I'm not actually sure if the NFL would allow it.

2 - It would set a VERY dangerous precedent. Only guys ON the team can get a ring, otherwise the whole process could be completely ruined.

[quote name='Clutch Ravens' timestamp='1360151661' post='1347518']

2 - It would set a VERY dangerous precedent. Only guys ON the team can get a ring, otherwise the whole process could be completely ruined.
[/quote]

It's to the teams discretion who they give rings to.
Lets just hope it looks better then the last one!

No, you have to be with the team to get a ring. Just how I feel. I wish we could have won something with Mase, and Todd, and Grubbs, but we didn't. That's why Neal Dahlen has 7 rings and Dan Marino has 0 - just looked him up, but Dahlen has the most rings of any player/coach/personnell - he was in the 49ers front office for 5 and in the Broncos for 2. Did he do much to earn them, probably not, but he was there.

Those championship rings are[b] not [/b]cheap. Besides, If champion rings are given to people who aren't members of the championship team, it only cheapens the integrity of the what ring represents and the work of the players, coaches, and front office of the organization.

[quote name='Clutch Ravens' timestamp='1360151661' post='1347518']

[/quote]

The Colts 07' have already done this before, the Colts gave Edgerrin James ( The U! ) a Superbowl Ring when they beat Chicago that year. James was still playing with the Cardinals.
That's at the owners discretion.

As long as we are making them irrelevant, I'll take one as well please.

The real question: would Mason want a ring for a Super Bowl win in which he did not contribute? I think the answer is "no" and rightfully so. I wouldn't want it. I would want to have earned it.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1360168328' post='1347710']
The real question: would Mason want a ring for a Super Bowl win in which he did not contribute? I think the answer is "no" and rightfully so. I wouldn't want it. I would want to have earned it.
[/quote]

I think Mason's contributions those years he was here contributed greatly to the confidence and development of a certain young QB.

I won't say we should offer Mason a ring but given he showed us the love and retired a Raven, I wouldn't be upset if they did offer him one.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1360169671' post='1347735']

I think Mason's contributions those years he was here contributed greatly to the confidence and development of a certain young QB.

I won't say we should offer Mason a ring but given he showed us the love and retired a Raven, I wouldn't be upset if they did offer him one.
[/quote]
I think Mason's impact was greater on Smith than Flacco, personally. I think Torrey Smith's development had a lot to do with character, Mason & Boldin. I understand your point. I won't be mad if the FO gives Mason, Heap, Gregg, JJ, or even Redding a ring. Their leadership was a big part of us reaching this point. I won't campaign for them to get one. Cam deserves one more than them imo.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1360169671' post='1347735']

[/quote]
This. Mason was a warrior for us and deserving. Too bad it didn't happen while he was still here.

[quote name='gotekiraven' timestamp='1360157660' post='1347567']
Those championship rings are[b] not [/b]cheap. Besides, If champion rings are given to people who aren't members of the championship team, it only cheapens the integrity of the what ring represents and the work of the players, coaches, and front office of the organization.
[/quote]

They ain't all that expensive or exclusive especially in bulk and its not marked up for the public. Staff gets rings too and pawning them doesn't get that much money.

Drake got a university of Kentucky basketball ring, lol.

Besides, would they feel justified in getting a ring considering they did nothing to get the team to that actual SB?

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1360173833' post='1347813']
Besides, would they feel justified in getting a ring considering they did nothing to get the team to that actual SB?
[/quote]
true....

love Mase but it's not appropriate for him to have the ring.....

Wait. Derrick Mason played at all for the Ravens this season? That's news to me.

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1360158935' post='1347576']
I think we should buy a ring for Mike Tomlin.

Hahahahaha.
[/quote]

John Fox as well lol

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1360172104' post='1347773']
I can't wait to buy Bryant McKinnie's ring from the Pawn Stars in 2 years
[/quote]

Lmao...

@GrimCoconut Mason wasn't here for Torrey, that was Boldin. Him and Heap were cut before the draft I think.

[quote name='T-ray' timestamp='1360151074' post='1347514']
Maybe we should also send a ring to Kelly Gregg, Ben Grubbs, Jarrett Johnson, Corey Redding and Chris Carr too... after all they did play with us up until a few years ago...

LOL what a joke! The Super Bowl ring goes to the players who won the Super Bowl. Not to people who have played for a team in the last few years but never even made it one time.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1360175701' post='1347858']
Lmao...

@GrimCoconut Mason wasn't here for Torrey, that was Boldin. Him and Heap were cut before the draft I think.
[/quote]
That's not correct. Mason was here for the offseason/lockout meeting Mason structured and held at Towson University. He also helped Torrey early after he was drafted to get him up to speed. He wasn't here the entire year, but from the reports I read back then he helped Torrey a lot early in his career. Boldin's probably had a greater impact, however, due to the longer tenure & rapport.

You can't give them rings, but I would definitely do something special for them. Maybe honor guys like Heap and Mason at the season opener.

I'd like to give Cam a ring for saying it was a
"Brilliant " move to fire him .

Bottom line is if Cam isn't fired , we would not have had a Super Bowl victory parade yesterday .

[quote name='RedFire' timestamp='1360148576' post='1347502']
Dude put in work for us to get to this point and wasn't rewarded with a ring. Maybe Todd Heap too. Them dudes kept us afloat through the middle to the end of the last decade on offense.
[/quote]
Why? They didn't play, so they don't get one.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1360201343' post='1348545']
Cam is the only non Raven who deserves a ring.
[/quote]

I agree. This is still his offensive design, he just didn't know how to execute. The SB showcased his offense. Two streaking WRs stretching the defense for the TE and Slot WR to do damage underneath.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1360201343' post='1348545']
Cam is the only non Raven who deserves a ring.
[/quote]
I agree. I was thinking this before, cept bout Heap. Then I realized it was stupid

According to Harbaugh,Cam will get a ring .

At least Cam , who I felt was holding Flacco back, has the guts
to admit the move was correct .

Cam was on the team this year...Mason was not....Hope they are not giving rings away like game day promotions.

I think Cam should get a ring out of respect and loyalty to him, but I can't say I support it 100%. The offense improved so drastically in his absence, he may not really deserve it.

[quote name='bpytnjr58' timestamp='1360267430' post='1349409']
Cam was on the team this year...Mason was not....Hope they are not giving rings away like game day promotions.
[/quote]Didn't he get like a 1 day contract...

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1360267543' post='1349415']
I think Cam should get a ring out of respect and loyalty to him, but I can't say I support it 100%. The offense improved so drastically in his absence, he may not really deserve it.
[/quote]

According to NFL Live on espn a few mins ago. Jim Harbaugh said he will get Cam a ring.

[quote name='RedFire' timestamp='1360273994' post='1349541']

According to NFL Live on espn a few mins ago. Jim Harbaugh said he will get Cam a ring.
[/quote]Jim or John?

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1360274490' post='1349548']
Jim or John?
[/quote]

I meant John....Lol. Ya got me!

[quote name='RedFire' timestamp='1360274843' post='1349556']

I meant John....Lol. Ya got me!
[/quote]I was gonna say Jim just took poor sportsmanship to a whole new level...

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1360267543' post='1349415']
[/quote]

I support it. Cam really laid the groundwork for this offense. Who's to say we could win the SB without that groundwork. He was just a horrible play-caller. But his system along with his input as to who to draft or get in FA to fit this system can't be overlooked.

Plus there is something to be said when two QBs he's coached have gone on to win a SB with dominant performances. Perhaps his hard-headiness actually does help mold a SB winning QB when he leaves.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1360278183' post='1349612']

I support it. Cam really laid the groundwork for this offense. Who's to say we could win the SB without that groundwork. He was just a horrible play-caller. But his system along with his input as to who to draft or get in FA to fit this system can't be overlooked.

Plus there is something to be said when two QBs he's coached have gone on to win a SB with dominant performances. Perhaps his hard-headiness actually does help mold a SB winning QB when he leaves.
[/quote]

Yeah his play calling was horrific .

the bottom line is that Flacco did not get along w/Cam.
We only started doing great when he was out.
I am not in the locker room, but there are certain things that are obvious.

Joe could really open it up when Cam was gone.

Think of how many wins we would have had with different play calling!

I would LOVE nothing more than Dmase and Heap to get rings. But we can't just send them out willy nilly.