87 replies to this topic

#1 BucsFan5

BucsFan5

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

First of all, Congrats on winning the Superbowl. I already posted it in the other thread, but I figured I'd post it again here so people don't think I am a Ravens hater after reading this.

Anyways, I want to hear Ravens fans thoughts on Cary Williams because he is a Free Agent this year and the Bucs desperately need CB's.

From what I have seen, he seems like he's a decent CB, nothing special, but not awful.

However, is it just me, or is Cary Williams one of the biggest jackasses in the league? And I noticed this before the Superbowl. Earlier in the year, I always saw him in the middle of scums and he constantly would run his mouth after the play was over.

He should have been ejected after he pushed the ref, they cut him a big break. I don't know if anyone else noticed either, but after that, there was a play on the sideline where Williams was trying to break up a pass and when he ran out of bounds he shoved a camera guy into the ground unnecessarily extending his arms and didn't even acknowledge that he did anything. Didn't help the guy up or even look at him, and just walked back to the huddle.

Posted Image

#2 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

He's decent and we wouldn't have won without him. With that said I won't be sad to see him gone, he does selfish boneheaded things like pushing that ref at the Super Bowl. At the end of the day he's merc who served his purpose.

#3 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

What he said ^^
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#4 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,775 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

Oh, he also expects to be paid as more than just a decent CB
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#5 ClintLB8

ClintLB8

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Seems like every time I saw a play be given up in the passing game.. Cary Williams was getting off the pile with a dumb look on his face. Ok cornerback but is going to command WAY more than he is worth. What the Ravens offered him at the beginning of the season was already too much.

TENNESSEE TITANS GM

Tennessee-Titans-Logo-Wallpaper-Wallpape

#6 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

His done a admirable job filling for Lardarius Webb for that #1 spot.

If you have a stud CB, he can be a great #2/#3. He was money being a #2 last year.

Regular season, he was bad. Post season he was great. His on par with Courtland Finnegan. Im sure he'll find a decent market In FA.

#7 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

He's good but damn if he isn't always looking for a fight. I don't know if its because he always feels "disrespected" or what but hes always flipping out.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#8 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

We already have other defensive FAs that are quite possibly more important than Cary, so I doubt he comes back. I wouldn't take him over Kruger or Ellerbe anyway, especially not with the return of Webb and the depth we have with Graham, Smith and Brown.

He got off to a really bad start this year, getting picked on week after week the first half of the season, but he got it together in the second half of the season.

#9 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

His done a admirable job filling for Lardarius Webb for that #1 spot.

If you have a stud CB, he can be a great #2/#3. He was money being a #2 last year.

Regular season, he was bad. Post season he was great. His on par with Courtland Finnegan. Im sure he'll find a decent market In FA.

He's nowhere near what Finnegan was when Finnegan was in Tennessee. In both jackassery and performance lol.

Williams gives up huge cushions and easy completions underneath. Down the field he's pretty good and Williams has gotten better at using his lanky long frame to his benefit. I wouldn't let his INT numbers fool you this year though, the ball found him this year and he only had 2 ints all year where he actually jumped a route or his coverage was so good he was in position to make the play. He's a good #2, but he wants to be paid like a #1, something he is not even close to.

#10 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

CW is a corner who I want on our team no matter how he acts. Aggressive, physical and mouthy. Thats how Ravens built their D.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#11 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

He made plays but he will be over paid by someone other than Baltimore next year.
Webb back makes me happy
Jimmy smith should start playing as expected and Cary isn't going to be missed.

Saw on sport trac that Corey graham cap hit will,be 2.5m next year not sure he is worth that much but I like him on the team

#12 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

We need Cary and I love his intensity. Please Ravens re-sign him!
Baltimore Ravens 2013 Super Bowl Champions!

#13 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

His play is inconsistent at best.personally,i think he's more lucky then good and he benefits ALLOT by the exceptional play of others.he has shown he can be decent but he has too much mouth for his talent level.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#14 zac_fuller

zac_fuller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

if he wanted to get paid as a third stirng corner, then we should keep him. But he wants to get paid like he's revis or primetime, so i would MUCH rather have webb and smith as starters

#15 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

First of all, Congrats on winning the Superbowl. I already posted it in the other thread, but I figured I'd post it again here so people don't think I am a Ravens hater after reading this.

Anyways, I want to hear Ravens fans thoughts on Cary Williams because he is a Free Agent this year and the Bucs desperately need CB's.

From what I have seen, he seems like he's a decent CB, nothing special, but not awful.

However, is it just me, or is Cary Williams one of the biggest jackasses in the league? And I noticed this before the Superbowl. Earlier in the year, I always saw him in the middle of scums and he constantly would run his mouth after the play was over.

He should have been ejected after he pushed the ref, they cut him a big break. I don't know if anyone else noticed either, but after that, there was a play on the sideline where Williams was trying to break up a pass and when he ran out of bounds he shoved a camera guy into the ground unnecessarily extending his arms and didn't even acknowledge that he did anything. Didn't help the guy up or even look at him, and just walked back to the huddle.

Cary Williams is a frugal man's Cortland Finnegan. I say 'frugal' not 'poor' because it's not like Finnegan is a world-beater. A number one corner, yes, but not shut down. Much of Cary's effectiveness, much like Finnegan, is driven by his ability to get in receivers' heads by being a d-bag. His technique has improved, though, making him critical for us this year and I'd say we're all thankful for his contribution. That said, we will welcome his departure and the compensatory pick it will result in after he's overpaid.

Edited by beasy2487, 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#16 Sunday QB

Sunday QB

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Bye Cary Williams. Thank you for your efforts and good luck in getting the money you want.

Welcome back Webby!!!

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,154 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Okay, I'm going to probably give a very different opinion than most around here. This is a completely unbiased opinion of Williams.

He is a CB who is a very good man coverage CB. He struggles in zone because he relies a lot on his physical attributes like height & arm length to compensate for technique. He can hold his own but doesn't have elite speed so struggles against fast receivers. He is also a very good press corner as well. To maximize his potential, he needs a defense with an excellent pass rush. He can cover for a few seconds but can't be relied upon for longer than that. His hands, while previously suspect, are getting better. He is good at deflecting the ball moreso than intercepting. He will often play the receiver and not the ball, which can lead to completions.

He tends to play off of WRs to prevent the YAC in our system. It's hard to say whether that was by design or skill. I would say both, considering he doesn't have the speed to keep up with a Megatron.

Overall, an excellent CB as a football player.

However, with that said, he has some big issues. One, he has a chip on his shoulder. It's both a pro and con. It's a pro because it pushes him to get better. It's a con because he could be subject to personal fouls in the wrong environment. He needs a strong locker room because he could potentially cause problems as you saw with the fight and close ejection. This isn't his first time getting close to an ejection.

Williams has a hard time controlling his emotions and let's them get the best of him. If he goes against a very smart WR he can be burned quite easily due to impatience and his temper.

He is best in a man-coverage secondary with a very good FS over top of him. I think the Vikings would be a good fit for him. The Colts could be if they get some nice OLBs. The Chargers would be a good fit or even the Patriots.

#18 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

I hope we don't even bother with him.

He's not that great right now in his prime. As he gets older, he's just going to turn into a penalty machine.

#19 SideStep77

SideStep77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

I do not see us resigning him, he definitely should have been ejected after shoving the Ref. We have depth at CB so I am not at all worried about our secondary, especially with the return of the Spider Webb.
#82 #15 Maryland Pride. Go Terps. Go Ravens.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!

#20 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

We wouldn't have won without him, he will be easily replaced because we got Webb coming back, Jimmy and Graham. But he did play like a raven and had some big time moments when he was here. I will miss him and thank him for everything he has done for us! Have fun with Chuck next season.....
Follow me on twitter @ShawnPriestman!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users