Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hjulmann

Jacoby Jones MVP?

41 posts in this topic

So yeah, I recall debating with my friend that Jacoby Jones could be a possible Super Bowl MVP after his return TD and the seventy something TD from Flacco. Not trying to take anything away from Flacco at all, but what do you guys think?

I remember him botching one kickoff and dropping the only other pass that went his way. I think there was also a muffed punt in there. Those 2 plays were huge but his overall day wasn't MVP worthy over Flacco's.

Jacoby made two electrifying plays but Joe was sharp throughout and could have made a bigger second half had it not been for some drops.

Could've been, sure. There were a few people who could've been MVP. Boldin as well. We played as an ultimate team on Sunday with great performances throughout, not just depending on one guy.

But the way Joe has played throughout the entire playoffs, the SB MVP is well deserved.

It was kind of the same deal as when Ray won the MVP in 2000. He won the MVP because of his body of work in the playoffs, not solely on his performance in the Super Bowl.

Flacco was the same way.

[quote name='Hjulmann' timestamp='1360125722' post='1347341']
So yeah, I recall debating with my friend that Jacoby Jones could be a possible Super Bowl MVP after his return TD and the seventy something TD from Flacco. Not trying to take anything away from Flacco at all, but what do you guys think?
[/quote]

If you're gonna make a call for MVP's other than Flacco I think Jones is 1b and Mr. 81 is 1a

Not taking ANYTHING away from Jones he played VERY WELL but Boldin came up [size=6]B I G!!![/size]

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360126191' post='1347353']
It was kind of the same deal as when Ray won the MVP in 2000. He won the MVP because of his body of work in the playoffs, not solely on his performance in the Super Bowl.

Flacco was the same way.
[/quote]

I mean come on. No INTs against two of the best defenses. 11 TDs. Well deserved. The only way he wouldn't have gotten it was if he stunk it up in the SB but we win in spite of him.

I think he could have easily won it. And if we would have continued to blow them out, he probably would have. I think he was our MVP in the Superbowl, but Flacco deserved it as well. Joe had one of the greatest postseasons for a QB ever.

A performance like that against a defense like that? If Jacoby was a nightmare, then Flacco was the boogeyman. Converting critical third downs, making plays with his feet, picking apart the secondary, completing passes at a high rate and throwing TDs like it was going out of style...
JJ deserves a hell of a lot of recognition and credit for our win, but how can anyone but Flacco get the SB MVP honor?

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1360128423' post='1347385']
A performance like that against a defense like that? If Jacoby was a nightmare, then Flacco was the boogeyman. Converting critical third downs, making plays with his feet, picking apart the secondary, completing passes at a high rate and throwing TDs like it was going out of style...
JJ deserves a hell of a lot of recognition and credit for our win, but how can anyone but Flacco get the SB MVP honor?
[/quote]
Well, according to the sore loser SF fans
"Flacco is a choke artist! He throws lobs to Anquan Boldin, one of the 5 best WR in the NFL, and he catches horribly thrown balls. So Boldin deserved MVP"

For the record, he was in pace to have one of the greatest SBs ever before the blackout. So he did deserve the MVP

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1360128851' post='1347389']
"Flacco is a choke artist! He throws lobs to Anquan Boldin, one of the 5 best WR in the NFL, and he catches horribly thrown balls. So Boldin deserved MVP"

For the record, he was in pace to have one of the greatest SBs ever before the blackout. So he did deserve the MVP
[/quote]

Here's the thing Anquan is not going to beat his man with his speed especially on sideline throws.. so the physical go up and outmuscle type of catches are the ones he's going to make. Most fans outside of the Ravens fan base don't understand this so obviously when they see that they don't view it as good throws just Anquan making a play. It is what it is. Anquan Jacoby and Joe were all huge and have legitimate cases.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1360128423' post='1347385']
[/quote]

All World ain't he? lol!

OH! Can I be VP? :D

[quote name='Greatness' timestamp='1360130961' post='1347412']

All World ain't he? lol!

OH! Can I be VP? :D
[/quote]
No, that belongs to ME! :P
He's top 5. He's elite

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1360126409' post='1347359']
I mean come on. No INTs against two of the best defenses. 11 TDs. Well deserved. The only way he wouldn't have gotten it was if he stunk it up in the SB but we win in spite of him.
[/quote]
Oh I'm not disliking the pick at all. No Flacco and we don't get past Denver. I was just explaining it was a "body of work" thing, just like Lewis' in 2000.

Jones certainly had the biggest plays of the game, but Flacco was hot throughout the Ravens' scoring drives, chucking and scrambling outside of the pocket on his way to 34 pt.

I wouldn't have been shocked at all if Jacoby had one it, but any quarterback who throws three touchdowns and no interceptions and doesn't win the MVP would require a player with more than just two significant plays in the game. That being said, had Joe had an average game, I fully expect Jacoby would have won it.

Reminds me of last year's Super Bowl, when Manning won the MVP Award, despite several huge plays from Mario Manningham.

Jacoby made two plays during the game basically. Flacco delivered a more consistent contribution.

Boldin dropped 3 passes and people wanna act like he's a top 3 WR all of a sudden and Flacco is a bum.

Both Jacoby and Boldin had great games, and came up big, but in my mind there was never any doubt... Flacco was the MVP... Whenever we needed something, he produced...By the end of the game, for that final stop, our defence played without having to worry, 'caus they knew, Flacco was going to score, if we would need it... Not to mention all the plays he extended by running around the pocket and throwing the ball away, when nothing was there...

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1360136492' post='1347453']
Boldin dropped 3 passes and people wanna act like he's a top 3 WR all of a sudden and Flacco is a bum.
[/quote]

The funny thing is he dropped the easier looking passes. I was joking with my friend that you should wait til Q is doubled covered and he's more likely to bring it in.

I don't see it. He muffed two kicks and a punt and dropped a pass. His returns in the second half weren't anything to write home about either, with the TD obviously excepted. He made big plays, but he didn't make them all game long like Joe did.

[/quote]

Boldin is one of my favorite players and he is the perfect Raven receiver but when did he become a top 5 WR in the NFL?

[quote name='ArmyRavensFan' timestamp='1360153699' post='1347534']
Boldin is one of my favorite players and he is the perfect Raven receiver but when did he become a top 5 WR in the NFL?
[/quote]

People just want to discredit Flacco and say that his completions are all luck.

They'll point to the Jacoby TD and say that Flacco completely underthrew the ball, and it was all luck that Jacoby was able to adjust and get a TD. They will completely ignore the fact that Flacco was almost sacked on the play, and threw the ball 50 yards down the field off of his back foot.

[/quote]

True. In fact, Flacco had a higher passer rating in the Super Bowl than any active QB has in any of their Super Bowls.

Jacoby had 2 amazing plays that really help the Ravens win. He should at the very least get honorable mention.

As for Flacco's case, his body of work for this playoff run was 2nd to none. Top that with Super bowl performance, where the Ravens offense relied heavily on Joe's arm. As the running game was mediocre. BP and Rice combined for 32 rushes - 92 yards (average -Less than 3 yards a carry.) Pretty average, when you consider Justin Tucker had your longest run of the night.

Flacco threw for 287 yards and 3 TDs. He also had the gutsiest call of the game when he optioned out of the run at the line and threw a sideline pass to Boldin on 3rd and inches. He threw another pass down the line to Boldin while running for his life. Honestly, I had thought he had just thrown the ball away and then, nope, he knew what he was doing. Joe deserved MVP. No contest.