16 replies to this topic

#1 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,515 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

It would cost the Ravens $14.6 million to tag Flacco with the non-exclusive franchise tag. This means a team could sign him and the Ravens would get 2 first round picks in return. The exclusive franshise tag costs $20 million but no team can sign Flacco.

With that being said, I think the Ravens have to put the exclusive tag on Flacco if they can't reach a deal as 2 first round picks for a franchise QB is nothing (see RG3 trade).

But Baltimore likely can't even afford to gamble and put the $14.6 million non-exclusive tag on Flacco, because a QB-needy team might just decide that price tag plus two first-round picks is a bargain for a reigning Super Bowl MVP who is 28 and will be entering only his sixth NFL season in 2013. The Ravens' only completely safe choice will be to apply the exclusive franchise tag on Flacco, a move that could tie up roughly $20 million in the one-year deal.

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t12_a2

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#2 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, I saw this. I really don't think he even gets the tag. From the sound of it, it seems like the team knows he is good, agrees he is good, and I don't think the team & Joe are that far off from each other. I think they can get it done and make it friendly on the cap early so they can keep key players. I can even see them do something crazy, like an 8 year deal.

I just don't see Joe getting the tag. Rice did because he's a RB. Suggs did because he's an OLB. Joe is a QB--the most important piece of the offense. To top it off, the cap hit on the exclusive tag is gigantic as you say. Flacco has all the leverage and I think this is a time we see the FO get it done without the tag.

#3 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the negotiating room.

No one should question Joes worth. He has well earned a FAT pay day. No doubt.

However, There are only so many pieces of pie to go around.
There are two ways to run a team. ( or at least two )
Have a very few super high dollar players, and the rest "low pay" player.
or Several very well payed players.
I think spreading more money amongst more players would be the best way. You cant put all your eggs in one basket is what I think I am saying.

Joe doesnt strike me as greedy. I dont know about his agent though.
The more money Joe gets, the less money left for O-line, to protect him, and receivers to catch the throws he makes.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the negotiating room.

No one should question Joes worth. He has well earned a FAT pay day. No doubt.

However, There are only so many pieces of pie to go around.
There are two ways to run a team. ( or at least two )
Have a very few super high dollar players, and the rest "low pay" player.
or Several very well payed players.
I think spreading more money amongst more players would be the best way. You cant put all your eggs in one basket is what I think I am saying.

Joe doesnt strike me as greedy. I dont know about his agent though.
The more money Joe gets, the less money left for O-line, to protect him, and receivers to catch the throws he makes.

From what I heard, Flacco is well aware of the negotiations. He knows everything that has been offered so far. That's what I heard on Vinny & Rob a week or so ago.

I think Flacco gets his. He's never missed a game, has performed pretty well, has elevated his game in the big ones, has won us a Super Bowl, made & won a playoff game in every season he has had, broke records, etc. I see him getting 18-20 million a year average. He might even get more. He holds the reigns here. I hope he gives the FO a discount. We can't protect him without the money. But regardless, we can always draft a LT & RT to protect him.

They can clear cap space. The question is who goes to do it. Webb, Pollard, Suggs, & Ngata are all players who could be restructured. Boldin & JJ are guys I can see get an extension with a reduced 2013 cap. I can see Pitta or Arthur Jones getting a long-term deal this year to avoid one next year. I can see Birk, Bobbie Williams & Ayanbadejo all retiring & freeing up a few million. We already know about Lewis' retirement.

#5 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Birk said on 98ROCK he will be back next year.
I realize he well could change his mind, but that IS what he said.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#6 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Birk said on 98ROCK he will be back next year.
I realize he well could change his mind, but that IS what he said.

He had a good year. I'm not surprised.

#7 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, I saw this. I really don't think he even gets the tag. From the sound of it, it seems like the team knows he is good, agrees he is good, and I don't think the team & Joe are that far off from each other. I think they can get it done and make it friendly on the cap early so they can keep key players. I can even see them do something crazy, like an 8 year deal.

I just don't see Joe getting the tag. Rice did because he's a RB. Suggs did because he's an OLB. Joe is a QB--the most important piece of the offense. To top it off, the cap hit on the exclusive tag is gigantic as you say. Flacco has all the leverage and I think this is a time we see the FO get it done without the tag.

Joe Linta believes Flacco will get the tag. Remember how long it took to get Drew Bree's deal done? Its not just like they are going to sit down in 1 hour and say ok lets go ahead and do the peyton manning deal 5 years 100M 50 guaranteed...its going to take a lot longer than we think, but will get done

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#8 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

im guessing Joe will get the tag this year while the two sides try to work something out. word on the street is Flacco's agent is demanding he be the highest paid player in the league http://www.rotoworld...4677/joe-flacco

Edited by Raven07, 05 February 2013 - 11:47 PM.

Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#9 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Three words for Mr. Flacco:

Please be gentle.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#10 evass#ravensnation

evass#ravensnation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I don't always say I am the best QB in the NFL before the season starts.
But when I do... I win Super Bowl MVP.

-Joe Flacco

#11 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

I think this whole thing is going to be more painless than we're anticipating. They need to get this deal done as soon as possible so they can look ahead to the harder free agent decisions involving Reed, Kruger, Ellerbe, Cary Williams, and anybody they might decide to bring in. I think the deal will be done sooner than anticipated, and the franchise tag will never need to be used.
Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but Ozzie knows what he's doing, and it's not as though the team has any doubt about what Flacco is worth at this point.

Posted Image

#12 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

It would cost the Ravens $14.6 million to tag Flacco with the non-exclusive franchise tag. This means a team could sign him and the Ravens would get 2 first round picks in return. The exclusive franshise tag costs $20 million but no team can sign Flacco.

With that being said, I think the Ravens have to put the exclusive tag on Flacco if they can't reach a deal as 2 first round picks for a franchise QB is nothing (see RG3 trade).

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t12_a2

I think we'd be safe enough using the $14.6 Million tag on Joe. Realistically, no other team is going to offer him more than we will and the QB needy teams are more than a QB away from being relevant.

After winning it all, would Flacco really consider signing for one of the teams that would legitimately offer a king's ransom? The most one of the QB needy teams could offer is a couple million more a year and even then they aren't going to become contenders. You really think Flacco wants to be wasting away the rest of his career in a place like Jacksonville or Arizona?
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#13 ArmyRavensFan

ArmyRavensFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thoughts from a guy just sitting on a couch and has not idea how the business side really works. Also I want Flacco on the team but a competitive Ravens team is the most important.

Step one: Use 14.6 Million tag on Flacco. Two compensetary first picks would soften blow if Flacco proves to be greedy. Plus the Ravens could offer to match or exceed another teams offer. The cost of the exclusive tag puts all of the leverage on Flacco's side.

Step two: Offer a reasonable contract with good amount of guaranteed money and length. Showing committment to Flacco long term.

Step three: Sit down with Flacco, show him the Salary cap situation then show him the list of players, especially offensive Weapons the Ravens will have to cut to pay him (Pitta, Boldin, Lineman, ect.). If he gives up some money, then it will be applied to keep offensive weapons. If not they move on. Therefore, Flacco has a say in his team. He can be greedy and lose weapons and possible friends or he can choose to take a more reasonable contract and keep his weapons/friends. Make it known publicly that Flacco is the team leader and he can decide which members stay with his contract. This also allows Flacco to have a say on how to make the team better. If Flacco still chooses the money, then the team may have to look elsewhere for a more team player. The Ravens win becuase they are a team and make sacrifices as a team.

#14 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

im guessing Joe will get the tag this year while the two sides try to work something out. word on the street is Flacco's agent is demanding he be the highest paid player in the league http://www.rotoworld...4677/joe-flacco

no where does that say he wants or his agents wants him to be the highest paid in the league.

#15 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I feel like Joe is smart enough to know what's fair, while being able to be set for life and allowing the Ravens to still build around him. Afterall, Joe is a winner and Joe wants to win.

#16 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

no where does that say he wants or his agents wants him to be the highest paid in the league.

per ESPN.com http://espn.go.com/n...-soon-forgotten "....Flacco isn't just an elite quarterback, he's going to be among the richest: Talk about contract leverage. Flacco is 9-4 in the playoffs since coming into the league five years ago. He has been to three conference championship games, and now he has a Super Bowl ring. What a year to be a free agent. His agent, Joe Linta, can continue to make the case his client should get upward of $20 million a year. Flacco now has as many Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, who make $19.2 million and $20 million a year, respectively.

Ravens ownership has vowed not to let Flacco leave via free agency. It can either place the franchise tag on him or give him one of the most lucrative contracts in NFL history.

Flacco completed one of the greatest Super Bowl runs for a quarterback. He tied a postseason record with 11 touchdown passes (over four games), matching Arizona's Kurt Warner (2008) and San Francisco's Joe Montana (1989). Flacco completed 22 of 33 passes for 287 yards and three touchdowns in the Super Bowl. For the playoffs, he completed 73 of 126 attempts for 1,140 yards -- and, perhaps most important, no interceptions.

"It's unbelievable," Flacco said. "We don't make it easy. & That's the way we are."

Edited by Raven07, 06 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I would use the $14.6M tag on Flacco over the exclusive tag. First of all, yes there is a risk involved in this but I am a risk taker. There's no doubt Flacco is our future QB. Let me make that clear. But from a business perspective, this makes the most sense.

Most of the QB-needy teams are strapped for cap space. Then there are those teams who have the space. Well, Flacco could negotiate with those teams, but to say they will offer him more than Brees is very uncertain. It's possible they offer him at most 20M, or as little as 17M.

In the end, the Ravens won't let Flacco go and will keep him and we can use the other teams to negotiate a lower deal to save cap space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users