Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

T-ray

Merril Hoge

73 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else caught it tonight, but Espn was doing a top 5 Qb's segment, and Merril Hoge had Joe Flacco ranked number one on that list, in front of the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning. My reaction to that was "wow! He believes that highly of Flacc now, and he used to be a hater?? Everyone is starting to finally catch on to the fact that Flacco really is an elite Qb. Some regular season consistency would be the next step for Flacco to take in order to be known league-wide as an elite Qb". I think this upcoming year will show Flacco to definitely be in the elite Qb category with the offense's catalyst Cam Cameron gone and with Caldwell stepping into that role full time with new plays that come from him instead of from Cam's playbook. Remember guys, what we saw from the offense was still Cam's playbook, because we couldn't add new plays at that point of the season, so he did an amazing job of making adjustments and getting his players to play at their full potentials. I'm thinking we could very well have a top 5 offense this coming year, depending on what happens at the receiver spot and also at the LT spot.

Discuss.

[quote name='Runnin Raven' timestamp='1360109475' post='1346895']
Too many concussions. That's what I think of Merril Hoge.
[/quote]

Lol typically I'd agree, but when he's giving our guys praise, I'm going to say that those concussions helped him become a better man... LOL

and then you have delusional people like Tim Hasselbeck to make up for it... guy is a joke. He is top 10 whether Tim likes it or not. Super Bowl champion QB's are automatic top 10's in this day and age. there are no Trent Dilfer exceptions anymore.

The best part was hodges top 5 actually didn't have brady or manning, then mangini put them in and hodges said his was a top 5 living in the past. Hodges list had flacco rodgers roethlisberger and ryan. Brilliant

[quote name='Bravens292' timestamp='1360110387' post='1346916']
and then you have delusional people like Tim Hasselbeck to make up for it... guy is a joke. He is top 10 whether Tim likes it or not. Super Bowl champion QB's are automatic top 10's in this day and age. there are no Trent Dilfer exceptions anymore.
[/quote]

Tim Hasselbeck has never gotten over the fact that his brother was a much better Qb than he ever was, and that he was a total scrub in the Nfl... The guy will only naturally take down any semi-controversial Qb's as much as he possibly can

[quote name='ravensdan' timestamp='1360110519' post='1346922']
The best part was hodges top 5 actually didn't have brady or manning, then mangini put them in and hodges said his was a top 5 living in the past. Hodges list had flacco rodgers roethlisberger and ryan. Brilliant
[/quote]

That was classic. He burnt Mangin"a" to a crisp when he said that

This was surprising. What was more surprising is in Tim's little list, he had Kaepernick #10, Joe #11.

Joe Flacco just outplayed him in the superbowl against what they were saying all week was a better defense. (Definitely younger and faster. Not quite as physical though. ;) )

Dude is a joke. Mangini,Dukes and Hasselbeck are on my dark side. The gargabe they've been saying makes me wonder if they're forced to say the crap they do.

[img]http://content.boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/popcorn%20drama.gif[/img]

Read the comments on this article, pretty funny. Jaws has been a supporter the whole time..
[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50384/jaws-qb-countdown-flacco-at-no-9"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50384/jaws-qb-countdown-flacco-at-no-9[/url]

Aaron Rodger, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning are in their own realm.

What Flacco has done in this postseason is nearly perfect. But honestly, it's really silly to put Flacco ahead of those 3.

Those 3 guys will never need a defense or RB, and still carry the team on their back. They create weapons w/ any receivers on the roster and put the team on the playoffs year in, year out. They are also the clear vocal leader of their respective team.

We will probably see if Flacco can carry the team now, w/o a considerable defense if we do not pick up Reed/Ellerbe/Kruger. But right now Flacco is not #1. Lets just be honest w/ that.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1360111886' post='1346954']

What Flacco has done in this postseason is nearly perfect. But honestly, it's really silly to put Flacco ahead of those 3.

Those 3 guys will never need a defense or RB, and still carry the team on their back. They create weapons w/ any receivers on the roster and put the team on the playoffs year in, year out. They are also the clear vocal leader of their respective team.

We will probably see if Flacco can carry the team now, w/o a considerable defense if we do not pick up Reed/Ellerbe/Kruger. But right now Flacco is not #1. Lets just be honest w/ that.
[/quote]

I'll take him over Manning though. Manning's a choke artist that's 9-11 in this Playoffs, compared to 8-4 for Joe. While Manning's a great regular season QB, I'm never going to trust him with everything on the line.

When the chips are down, Flacco's as good as anyone.

I think Joe can make Merril look like a genius next year though. With a full year with Jim and an improved playbook, our offense could get pretty scary. What we do at LT will be an X-factor to it all first. The last thing we need is for Joe to endure another makeshift line.

Like Ray Lewis said, we have always known he was good.
Now that the balls were not dropped, the runs were meaningful, and we scored the points, the national media has figured it out.

Certain broadcasters were always liking Flacco ( Jaws mostly) but others seem to have no love for our Ravens.

[/quote]Personally I prefer Flacco to Peyton just because Peyton chokes in the playoffs. But I do believe that Joe has the potential to be as good as Rodgers if not better. But that's just my opinion.

siderable defense if we do not pick up Reed/Ellerbe/Kruger. But right now Flacco is not #1. Lets just be honest w/ that.
[/quote]
Not that silly. He outplayed them on the road in the playoffs, just saying! At this very moment, in this current offense, current o-line and recievers he's been the best QB on the field.

Let's not forget, he is the only QB to be in the playoffs every year he's in the NFL.
Pretty amazing.

Flacco has propelled himself into top 5 status.

1.Rodgers
2.Peyton
3.Brees
4.Brady
5.Flacco

With Jim he might become more consistant

[quote name='mdrsharon' timestamp='1360112665' post='1346977']
Let's not forget, he is the only QB to be in the playoffs every year he's in the NFL.
Pretty amazing.
[/quote]
AND win ;)

Flacco shut up all his detractors, now even Hodge and Heath Evans are hanging off his jock strap.

[/quote]

Let me ask you an honest question... You are in a road playoff game trip to the super bowl on the line would you take brees/peyton or flacco/eli. I'll take the gys known for big throws and most importantlt winss in the when it really matters not regular season stats.

[b]Those 3 guys will never need a defense or RB, and still carry the team on their back. They create weapons w/ any receivers on the roster and put the team on the playoffs year in, year out. They are also the clear vocal leader of their respective team. [/b]

[/quote]

Those three are clearly better than Joe and are obviously amazing QBs, but I find people often underrate the talent and contributions of those around them when discussing how great they are.

Brady has had the benefit of a quality o-line the majority of his career. The first two title-winning teams he was a part of had capable, if not dominant, running games and Corey Dillon was a force during the third title run. On defense, regular season rankings be damned; the Pats units of the early 2000s were loaded and took their play to another level in the play-offs. And of course, Vinatieri's contributions was huge.

With Peyton, for all his regular season dominance (aided by supporting casts that don't get their proper due), he was a complementary player during the one title his teams won. That '06 team was led by Bob Sanders and the defense in the play-offs and Dominic Rhodes was the MVP of that Super Bowl.

Rodgers probably had the biggest hand in his team's Super Bowl win in my opinion but I don't think folks appreciate how talented his receivers are.

As for vocal leadership, none of those teams have a personality as big as Ray.

[/quote]

Our defense ranked in the mid 20's this year. Just saying.

Hoge's point was Flacco was the best QB right now, as in right this second/day/week. He just won the Super Bowl, so Hoge's logic is actually sound in this case.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1360113931' post='1347026']
Our defense ranked in the mid 20's this year. Just saying.
[/quote]

#2 overall this postseason :)

I watched both the segment with Hodge and Mangini and with Hasslebeck. Both guys basically had the argument of not being a "prisoner of the Moment" with Flacco. However my argument would be, Flacco has had great postseason moments the last 3 season and if not for a few drops he might be a repeat SB winner right now.

I took the numbers of the 4 QBs who everyone has as Elite and compared them with Joe's postseason numbers since 2010. I didn't list any names, but just looking at this list who wouldn't you call elite or who wouldn't you atleast put in your Top 10?

QB#1: 7gms 1889yds 14TDs 4Ints 64.2%

QB#2: 6gms 1842yds 15TDs 7Ints 63.1%

QB#3: 3gms 1334yds. 9TDs. 2Ints 66.7%

QB#4: 2gms. 515yds. 4TDs. 2Ints. 67.1%

QB#5: 8gms 2010yds 18TDs 2Ints 59.7%

I didn't post names because I think often times people will look at the names and automatically think Elite despite how good or poor their performance was. Just for fun i'll put another QB who is considered is.

QB#6: 4gms 911Yds 5TDs 5Ints 57.1%

These are numbers from a 3 year time frame and Flacco has only been in the NFL 5 years. So if you are gonna accuse someone of being a prisoner of the moment, make sure that moment is uncommon.

Ps. Without looking it up, who could identify each QB listed? I bet even Hasslebeck and Mangini couldn't

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1360115108' post='1347061']
I watched both the segment with Hodge and Mangini and with Hasslebeck. Both guys basically had the argument of not being a "prisoner of the Moment" with Flacco. However my argument would be, Flacco has had great postseason moments the last 3 season and if not for a few drops he might be a repeat SB winner right now.

I took the numbers of the 4 QBs who everyone has as Elite and compared them with Joe's postseason numbers since 2010. I didn't list any names, but just looking at this list who wouldn't you call elite or who wouldn't you atleast put in your Top 10?

I didn't post names because I think often times people will look at the names and automatically think Elite despite how good or poor their performance was. Just for fun i'll put another QB who is considered is.

These are numbers from a 3 year time frame and Flacco has only been in the NFL 5 years. So if you are gonna accuse someone of being a prisoner of the moment, make sure that moment is uncommon.

Ps. Without looking it up, who could identify each QB listed? I bet even Hasslebeck and Mangini couldn't
[/quote]

Fantastic post. I can only id the top QB in that group and it's Joe Flacco with 8 games played, 18TD and 2 INT.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1360115108' post='1347061']

[/quote]Love this post! This is the type of thing that should be on Espn!