Ravens Schedule Coming Wednesday!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule on Wednesday, April 23rd at 8:00 pm ET.
Close

Photo

Our Defense

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Bond, James Bond. 007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Let's face it fellow Ravens fans... Our offense is LOADED

Elite QB+ Elite RB+ Future Star RB+ Solid TE+ Two Great WR+ Solid Oline= Potent offense that will keep us competitve for the next few years.

The offense alone, will get is to the playoffs. It is what happened this year under Cam Cameron.

Our Defense on the other hand is losing two key componets in

Ray Lewis
Paul Kruger/and or Ed Reed,

I have a feeling we are getting Reed back, veteran locker room, and he is the second best defensive player Bmore has ever had. Oz is making him a top priorety...

Now we have a top flight MLB in Ellerbe that Oz has made the top prioritey behind Joe. If he stays healthy, he may very well be the best MLB in the AFC/AFC North (homerism showing a bit, but I like him more than Mayo, and I never saw anything great in Johnson, that D makes him imho.

Ellerbe was balling this year and without a doubt will be back.

The rest of the defense is a huge question mark..

Suggs might never be the same player again.
Ngata is getting hurt too much.
Pollard is fine
Ladarius is the same case as Suggs.
Jimmy/Courtney/McPhee are too young to tell..

From the showing, we have a young defensive squad outside of maybe Suggs and Reed..... A potentially great secondary, and a solid LB corps.

The offense's playing alone will get us to the post season. We are too potent and are playing the weak defenses of
NE
Green Bay
Detroit
Viking D is getting old.
A fading Jets D
A Bad Buffalo D (Chan Gailey's fault, secondary is ok, but not great team otherwise)

We do on the other hand, face the defensive likes of
Texans
Pit twice
Cinci twice
and Chicago.

We all know Joe can tear through any Defense (see yesterday), but can the D keep those teams in check?

We are playing Tom Brady.
AP/Harvin
Rodgers, the best QB in the NFL
AJ Green Twice
Megatron (who we cannot stop period)
Andre Johnson/Foster
and Marshall and Forte combo.
Peyton Manning

We have a tough OFFENSIVE scheduel.

Do we have the talent to repeat? Probably, these guys have a chance on the big stage. They have won there, so some experience here.

The season will come down to whether or not we can play good on Defense.

IF Flacco and Rice stay healthy, we are making the post season. We have the best QB-RB-WR 123 punch in the entire NFL. We run an offense that is increadibly difficult to defend.

I trust Jimmy, and Webb, Pollard, and the return of Reed to allow the secondary to remain potent.

Ellerbe is only going to get better, and Suggs and Upshaw are good run Defenders. We are probably drafting a new ILB good vs the run. I think the run D will be fine (cept vs Vikings and Texans)

Do you think we will be able to hold it down on D? I think we need another season to get back to top 10, but when we do, look out, we are going to be a powerhouse in the NFL for the next 5 or 6 years. I trust Oz.

Repeat though, I doubt it, tho I do think we make the post season

#2 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

McPhee was hampered by an injury, but he should be good to go as a superior inside rusher again. Jones stepped up big. Tyson has impressed for a 7th rounder.

Upshaw is a beast who just needs to work on pass rush.

Webb, Smith, Graham, and Brown are going to form one of the best CB groups in the league.

Jameel and Ellerbe both had great seasons. It's just time for them to have those seasons at the same time. And Bynes impressed as yet another undrafted ILB.

Our only real problem is FS and OLB/ILB depth. Those will probably be answered in the draft if Reed and Kruger don't stay. Other than that, we just need Cody to regain his form.

#3 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

another question on D is Ngata.

I have a hunch he might take an early retirement.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#4 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,521 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

McPhee was hampered by an injury, but he should be good to go as a superior inside rusher again. Jones stepped up big. Tyson has impressed for a 7th rounder.

Upshaw is a beast who just needs to work on pass rush.

Webb, Smith, Graham, and Brown are going to form one of the best CB groups in the league.

Jameel and Ellerbe both had great seasons. It's just time for them to have those seasons at the same time. And Bynes impressed as yet another undrafted ILB.

Our only real problem is FS and OLB/ILB depth. Those will probably be answered in the draft if Reed and Kruger don't stay. Other than that, we just need Cody to regain his form.

Agreed on everyone except for Jameel. He was struggling mightily struggling before getting hurt.

With an impact player or two through the draft, key, veteran players getting healthy and younger players improving, the D should be fine.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#5 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

-Our defense is also losing a key component in Cary Williams.

-Our offense isn't guaranteed if we can't fix our offensive line long term. If Gino can play great it would be awesome. Next year we just really need a LT.

-We can contain Megatron.

-If Ozzie nails this next draft like he did the last one then we should be fine! Alot of our young players were forced to step up and play. They gained a ton of expierence, and after this superbowl, alot more of confidence. We gett Webb back which will be HUGE for us. (Not may teams can survive when their top DB/ top defensive player gets hurt for the whole season). Hard to tell, but I think he can come back strong just like he did before. Suggs was not fully healthy but improved as time went on. He won't be the 2011 Sizzle but I think he has another great year or two in him.

It's to early to be talking about eveything right now though lol. Let's see who we bring back and all first.

Edited by Ravens<3, 04 February 2013 - 09:55 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#6 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Our defense is also losing a key component in Cary Williams.

Mixed conflicted feelings on this one...
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#7 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Agreed on everyone except for Jameel. He was struggling mightily struggling before getting hurt.

With an impact player or two through the draft, key, veteran players getting healthy and younger players improving, the D should be fine.

I meant Jameel had a great 2011. As in "they've both had a great season under their belts". He was struggling early on, but so was everyone. Pees said he had too many guys doing too many things. Jameel was probably one of those guys who felt too swamped to produce. I think he'll have a good 2013.

#8 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,142 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Mixed conflicted feelings on this one...

Couldn't of won it without him. Imagine if we didn't have him when we lost Webb & Smith. He started every game this year and made some crucial plays for us, and he also really stepped up in the playoffs. God forbid something happens again and we don't have the depth to survive it.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#9 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,521 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I meant Jameel had a great 2011. As in "they've both had a great season under their belts". He was struggling early on, but so was everyone. Pees said he had too many guys doing too many things. Jameel was probably one of those guys who felt too swamped to produce. I think he'll have a good 2013.

Good points. I hope he bounces back as well. If Ellerbe is re-signed and an ILB is drafted early on though, he'll have to battle for snaps.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 04 February 2013 - 10:25 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#10 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

If we can STAY healthy we should be alright. We'll pick up some more contributing pieces in FA and the draft. We also have a lot of young guys that are still progressing. I'm more worried about staying healthy. We seem to be taking a lot of major hits throughout the last couple of years.

But with a base of Webb, Ngata, Suggs, Pollard, Ellerbe. We'll be alright. We really need Suggs to get back to peak form.
Posted Image

#11 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hmm...our defense.

It really depends on free agency. We're losing the core of our defensive leadership and the other component of that core is a free agent. Losing Ed Reed & Ray Lewis in the same offseason could hurt us or have no effect. We have a strong locker room with strong leaders, so I feel we will be fine. Regardless, I think Ed Reed somehow returns to us.

CB: I like our corps, honestly. Webb, Graham, Brown, Smith, Jackson all show promise. I think we might need a 6th guy because you can't have enough CBs. People said Jackson is like a mini Ed Reed. That's from one of the players--I forget which. Bottom-line: we need depth, but we're pretty good. Unless we shift Graham to FS, which is possible.

S: I like a safety group of Pollard, Thompson, Brown, & Cook. I think Ed Reed returns, but that's speculative. We need to get better here, but we have no idea how far along Thompson is. He could be further than we think. Ed Reed mentored him out of college. Then again, he did the same with Moore and, well, yeah. I want Moore if he's cut. Bottom-line: we're pretty good here. Even if Ed leaves, we might shift Graham to FS like it was rumored back in TC 2012. Thompson could be far along, too. I'm optimistic here.

DL: Ngata, McPhee, Jones, Tyson, Hall make a strong group of DT/DEs. Cody is a decent NT. They started off slow. McPhee & Ngata have been banged up all year. Ngata has me worried, personally. I think Jones & McPhee could be future starters at both ends, but I think we may want to invest in the DE spot this year. We have nobody really behind Cody, which is troublesome. He has had an off year for sure after a promising 2011. McBean might/probably will be re-signed for cheap, so I think he could replace Cody. If not, we might hit FA. I won't be surprised. The crop of NTs is poor in the draft. Only a few I really like.

LB: This is where we are weak. McClain, Suggs, Hamilton, McAdoo, McClellan, Upshaw, Ayanbadejo. That's our LBs. We have guys like Bynes & Carr as well who may/probably will return. I think Hamilton & McAdoo show promise as pass rushers but neither as proven. McClain's coming off a serious injury. Same for Suggs & McAdoo. McClellan has been capable. Upshaw is a beast against the run but needs work as a pass rusher. And Ayanbadejo could just retire, and isn't that great but he's OK. This is our greatest weakness on defense. DL is next, then safety.

In short, we need an ILB, DL, then DB (S/CB) in this draft. We also need a situational pass rusher.

#12 Hjulmann

Hjulmann

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't worry about suggs/webb I'm sure they're going to be back in great shape. Suggs was obviously playing at his 90% game this year, coming off a dangerous injury.
Posted Image
"It's all for Ray Lewis" - Ray Rice

#13 SideStep77

SideStep77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Would love to see a lot of defensive draft picks this year for sure. And O-line. But we'll be losing some big people on the defensive side. Reed, Lewis, Cary, and probably Kruger cause we need Ellerbe.
#82 #15 Maryland Pride. Go Terps. Go Ravens.
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!

#14 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,969 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Agree, McClain isn't physical enough for my taste. He doesn't take on blocks well and isn't to happy when he's gotta throw his body into a big RB. He's serviceable , but not ideal IMO.

#15 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Defense will be fine. Even if Suggs loses a step he's still good at run support. Upshaw will only get better. Ngata just had a rough year and played througb tough injuries. With the rest most of them should be back to 100%. McPhee was injured early and came along late to show the talent he displayed his rookie year. Webb is my question mark and what will happen with Reed. A lot young talent and Jimmy Smith will be just fine. I also think we found a potential star in Asa (don't know why, just have a feeling). The only glaring need to me is at NT and maybe getting a little more speed at linebacker. McAdoo hopefully works out along with Hamilton, but the team probably takes a olb later in the draft depending on how the contract situation and FA works out.

Unrelated, they probably draft another TE cause I don't see them bringing Dickson back.

Edited by redrum52, 04 February 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Defense will be fine. Even if Suggs loses a step he's still good at run support. Upshaw will only get better. Ngata just had a rough year and played througb tough injuries. With the rest most of them should be back to 100%. McPhee was injured early and came along late to show the talent he displayed his rookie year. Webb is my question mark and what will happen with Reed. A lot young talent and Jimmy Smith will be just fine. I also think we found a potential star in Asa (don't know why, just have a feeling). The only glaring need to me is at NT and maybe getting a little more speed at linebacker. McAdoo hopefully works out along with Hamilton, but the team probably takes a olb later in the draft depending on how the contract situation and FA works out.

Unrelated, they probably draft another TE cause I don't see them bringing Dickson back.

I really don't want to make this about the offense. This is a defense thread. With that said...what makes you feel like we won't tender an RFA at least an original round tender (3rd) who is a decent TE in 2013? Or are you referring to 2014?

#17 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I really don't want to make this about the offense. This is a defense thread. With that said...what makes you feel like we won't tender an RFA at least an original round tender (3rd) who is a decent TE in 2013? Or are you referring to 2014?

Its not all on Dickson, but what if they think they won't have the money to resign Dickson so pick up a te somewhat early and groom him. I've said before though, I think the cap should be decent in 2014. I think Rices and Ngatas contracts were front loaded and go down cap wise, significantly after the 2013 season.

#18 MrPlankton

MrPlankton

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

http://www.nfl.com/v...version-attempt

People can say Ed Reed doesn't have as much of an impact that he used, but look at how he anticipates that snap and manages to pressure Kapernick into making a bad throw.

#19 RavensFanInCA

RavensFanInCA

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

http://www.nfl.com/v...version-attempt

People can say Ed Reed doesn't have as much of an impact that he used, but look at how he anticipates that snap and manages to pressure Kapernick into making a bad throw.

I went frame by frame and no matter what any 49er fan wants to say, Ed (unless you want to claim he's already in the neutral zone) does not jump offsides before the ball starts moving.

#20 quoth_the_raven_neverscore

quoth_the_raven_neverscore

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

defensively it will be a rebuild the next season or two, but we will still have some high quality players and leadership here in the post-ray lewis era. harbaugh seems to think ed is coming back, so i'm going to run with that. very fond of our secondary and i think that has nowhere to go but up

as for ngata we'll have to see what the mri tests reveal.. according to reports he's feeling okay, but that doesn't mean much. the very fact that suggs was able to get himself recovered enough to return halfway through the season is a great sign that he can do wonders for himself in the offseason. we know he'll do the work. i don't think we get to keep kruger, there just won't be enough cap room for it. ellerbe, we'll have to see...

the identity of this franchise is kind of reconfiguring a bit as far as offense is concerned, but i can't see why bisciotti, ozzie, decosta and harbaugh wouldn't want this to remain a physical, grind it out kind of team the ravens built their reputation on and not make the defence a priority
"All we got is EACH OTHER and that's all that matters! That's ALL THAT MATTERS!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users