22 replies to this topic

#1 GTRavens

GTRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

...is just how irrelevant the Steelers are to it. Did anyone else see this coming? After all of the heartbreak we had against them and the stigma of being "owned" by the Steelers overwhelming everyone's perception of the organization, just two years later they're barely an afterthought.

2011 was our cathartic moment with them, but this year there's nothing. The SNF win just might be the most forgettable one of the year. The home loss might be memorable, but that's it. Two ugly, nondescript games without Big Ben. Instead, the Steelers were overshadowed by a good number of teams - to the point where they probably won't even be the choice for the TNF opener.

Edited by GTRavens, 04 February 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#2 RiseNConquer1983

RiseNConquer1983

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I was also surprised by that, GTR. I was a little shocked even, that they didn't make the playoffs this year.

Good post!

#3 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,456 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

It is remarkable how the Steelers weren't even relevant to our run, but we exercised those demons last year.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Tomlin doesn't know how to build a team, he can hold a SB group together but it's all starting to fall apart now.

In any case who even cares? they're no longer relevant and we need a real rival team.

#5 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Tomlin doesn't know how to build a team, he can hold a SB group together but it's all starting to fall apart now.

In any case who even cares? they're no longer relevant and we need a real rival team.

The Patriots might be applying for that job.
15fqib6.jpg

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

The Patriots might be applying for that job.

It has that feeling doesn't it?

Obviously in the division it will always be The Steelers, but it's a conference team now.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

It appeared that the injuries hit the Steelers and the couldn't overcome them the same way we did. The ball didn't always roll their way. If we had lost Flacco for half the season we wouldn't have made the playoffs either.

AFC Conference Rivals - Broncos/Texans/Patriots

NFC Rivals - Redskins/49ers

z66oxxi.jpg

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

It is remarkable how the Steelers weren't even relevant to our run, but we exercised those demons last year.

And now they're in terrific shape! (It's "exorcised".)

I think part of the reason we weren't so concerned with them was that we only played them in the month of November, and before then they lost a few to some bad teams. We were never really concerned with them winning the division.

#9 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I know how they felt when they said that they felt there wasn't a rivalry. When you kick their [profanity deleted] time and time again or they aren't even making it to the playoffs, it tends to lose its competitiveness.

2yno6dx.png

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I know how they felt when they said that they felt there wasn't a rivalry. When you kick their [profanity deleted] time and time again or they aren't even making it to the playoffs, it tends to lose its competitiveness.

Perhaps the rivalry has changed! I agree with this sentiment. But the Steelers were weak this year. It was predicted to be such. However, with that said, even in a weak year they posed a danger. When they lost Ben, however, things dramatically changed. We'll see what happens this year, but I see a lot of overhaul coming. It's not just the Steelers but the entire NFL. I see many players getting cut--big names.

#11 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

The Steelers not making the post-season did not surprise... nor did it surprise me that Cincy made it in. I actually had Cincy and B'more back at the end of LAST YEAR making it to the post-season this year.

The one thing that I least expected... if you had told me we would have to face Manning & Brady back-to-back in their own backyards and we'd win the Super Bowl... I wouldn't have laughed in your face, but I would've grimaced a bit thinking about it.

What an amazing story this years playoff run truly was. "Legendary" comes to mind.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#12 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,692 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

In the recent years we have created a wake of team's fanbases that have a grudge against us. The Titans, Texans, Pats (now that we are actually coming out on top), the Broncos, the Texans (from last years playoffs), and even the Chiefs.
Posted Image

#13 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

In the recent years we have created a wake of team's fanbases that have a grudge against us. The Titans, Texans, Pats (now that we are actually coming out on top), the Broncos, the Texans (from last years playoffs), and even the Chiefs.

What did we do to the Chiefs? The playoff game? Lol

#14 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Sorry, still don't like 'em.
If for no other reason, their fans are so obnoxious.
On the Dan Patrick show today, they do a best/worst of the weekend, and of course some guy said his best = Penguins win and worst = Ravens win.
What a mean thing to say, I guess he was just jealous of our awesome Ravens...

Love my team! Proud to be a Raven fan from the BIG B!!

#15 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yea. The Ravens are making a name for themselves and many teams are starting to feel a certain way towards us. STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT. SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! When Harbaugh came he said he wanted to build something in the mold of the Patriots. They now have as many SB appearances as them, with a ring and more conference appearances since Harbaugh took over. He did it, consistently making playoffs, winning each year and keeping the core of the team intact, while reloading with young talent. All those playoff numbers finally mean something, especially those last 4 wins.

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,643 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Yea. The Ravens are making a name for themselves and many teams are starting to feel a certain way towards us. STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT. SUPER BOWL CHAMPS! When Harbaugh came he said he wanted to build something in the mold of the Patriots. They now have as many SB appearances as them, with a ring and more conference appearances since Harbaugh took over. He did it, consistently making playoffs, winning each year and keeping the core of the team intact, while reloading with young talent. All those playoff numbers finally mean something, especially those last 4 wins.

For a minute there, you really confused me. I'd re-word that as "Since Harbaugh took over, the Ravens have had as many SB appearances as the Patriots, with more AFCCGs & rings."

Lol, but it's all good.

#17 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,692 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

What did we do to the Chiefs? The playoff game? Lol

They haven't won a playoff game since 1993. That last loss to us is still ringing in their ears and probably will be for a while. Plus we also thrashed them a few years back in the opening and eked by them last year. Its sad, I know.

Edited by PuRock, 04 February 2013 - 08:26 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

when the steelers came on the air a few times on NFL network....... and a few players said bluntly....' joe flacco will NEVER win a superbowl....why? cuz he has to beat us... and I don't see that ever happening'................ really really pathetic statement and ignorant . well guess what...... we did.
Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#19 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

when the steelers came on the air a few times on NFL network....... and a few players said bluntly....' joe flacco will NEVER win a superbowl....why? cuz he has to beat us... and I don't see that ever happening'................ really really pathetic statement and ignorant . well guess what...... we did.

As great as that was for "bulletin board material," if it were any other team, I wouldn't have cared. It was like the original Joe Flacco "elite" statement. What did you expect him to say? "Yeah, I bet they'll be better than us one day."

Posted Image

#20 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

LOL. ....Chiefs.

Was talking about it today.
Posted Image
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps