Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

H8R

Bernard Pollard, I expected MORE

154 posts in this topic

I knew he was NOT GOOD in coverage.. but ohh man! He played about as bad as a Strong Safety could have IMO. Missed a handfull of tackels, allowed a td..and was lost in coverage ALL NIGHT.
We need to see more from him next year. I never thought he would have stunk up the joint so badly. He's made some great plays and was a major contributor this season, but man did he look horrendous last night. I'm just glad we got the victory, but he saved his worst game for the biggest stage.

Thoughts?

Agree 100%, he seemed confused in coverage. Ed Reed yelled at him multiple times for staying too shallow and allowing Davis to get past him. Not to mention that dreadful missed tackle on Crabtree's TD.

Still, major credit to all our corners, they played ball yesterday,

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1359988090' post='1344303']
Agree 100%, he seemed confused in coverage. Ed Reed yelled at him multiple times for staying too shallow and allowing Davis to get past him. Not to mention that dreadful missed tackle on Crabtree's TD.

Still, major credit to all our corners, they played ball yesterday,
[/quote]

Its like he forgot how to tackle. I'd expect those attempts from Ed..but Pollard? Hes supposed to be the enforcer. I saw ZERO swagger from him. We need the intensity, he feeds off of it..and so do the other DB's. I would have had to seriouly consider bringing in Diggz.

It looks to me Pollard was choking up for first SB; he made so many missed assignment but we win or lost as a team cuz we are compliment each other. When our teammates play bad, other teammates step up and help out like Jimmy Smith or more on our secondary...

As a whole, the defense wasnt very good. The Upshaw strip was gigantic, the 9ers were driving down the field easily.
Suggs, Ngata , Ray..none of them had a good game either.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1359988269' post='1344307']

Its like he forgot how to tackle. I'd expect those attempts from Ed..but Pollard? Hes supposed to be the enforcer. I saw ZERO swagger from him. We need the intensity, he feeds off of it..and so do the other DB's. I would have had to seriouly consider bringing in Diggz.
[/quote]Ed actually looked pretty damn good tackling wise.

[color=#222222][font='Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=4][background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]

Pollard wasn't confused, he was trying to freelance and make a play.

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1359988532' post='1344324']
Ed actually looked pretty damn good tackling wise.
[/quote]

Yeah, normally I wouldn't pick him to stop a 260 lb in his tracks but he did BEAUTIFULLY.
[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1359988422' post='1344314']
As a whole, the defense wasnt very good. The Upshaw strip was gigantic, the 9ers were driving down the field easily.
[/quote]
Totally true. Suggs, Ngata, Ray had "eh" games. Suggs overpursued a LOT. Too much, in my opinion. And on the play where we gave up a big Kaepernick run,, Williams went around the left of the block instead of cutting inside against the RB, which allowed Kaepernick to get a big run.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1359989664' post='1344363']

[color=#222222][font=Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif'][size=4][background=rgb(255,255,255)]Pollard wasn't confused, he was trying to freelance and make a play.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't pick him to stop a 260 lb in his tracks but he did BEAUTIFULLY.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

both safeties cant freelance... LOL

[/quote][quote name='H8R' timestamp='1359988422' post='1344314']
[/quote]

I agree about Pollard. However, the defense was crappy after the "black-out". I felt our D went to sleep with all the old men on it. Ozzie needs to retool for the next great Baltimore Defensive unit. You could see that the niners young legs were finally catching up to all them boys. Something they weren't use to playing veteran squads like Den and NE.

Ngata's play didn't show up in the stat sheet, but he was the biggest reason on the defensive side of the ball IMO why we held them to 6 pts in the first half (the Reed pick and Upshaw/Jones fumble recovert notwithstanding). It all went downhill when he got injured in the 3rd. I agree on Suggs and Lewis not playing their best though.

As for the reason of this thread, I don't even want to talk about Pollard's and Williams' "tackle attempt" on Crabtree, ridiculous guys, just wrap him up!

The Bonecrusher was absolutely horrific yesterday but the knockout against New England was a critical play
for us so Ill give him a pass .

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1359992835' post='1344480']
both safeties cant freelance... LOL
[/quote]

Ed is better when he doesn't, he erases half of the field.

I think the stage got to Pollard a bit. I really do. He's been great for us all season though.

The defense as a unit had an outstanding first half and an "omg what is going on" second half. In the end, they managed to get it done when it mattered most.

We are SB Champs. As Harbaugh likes to say, we aren't pretty, we aren't perfect, we're just us.

Well I think Pollard was isolated often by the 49ers by design with certain formations to exploit his lack of coverage skills and limit his big hit potential by forcing him to turn and run with WRs or TEs rather than have Pollard playing deep and closing in for big hits.

When I saw pollard on Moss I couldn't believe my eyes but knowing how little the 49ers utilized most this year made me Not worry as much.

I had not seen Pollard tackle this bad since maybe the KC game or Dallas game earlier in the season

Whoever gave me a neg... :P Coverage is one thing, not his strong point, but the guy wasnt even tackling or hitting hard.

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1359987915' post='1344299']
I knew he was NOT GOOD in coverage.. but ohh man! He played about as bad as a Strong Safety could have IMO. Missed a handfull of tackels, allowed a td..and was lost in coverage ALL NIGHT.
We need to see more from him next year. I never thought he would have stunk up the joint so badly. He's made some great plays and was a major contributor this season, but man did he look horrendous last night. I'm just glad we got the victory, but he saved his worst game for the biggest stage.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Yup definitely not a good time to be at your worst, but everyone does have bad games. Maybe it was just how he matched up against the personnel. Who knows, but I know he is as big a reason as any that we got hear. Too bad he couldn't show up for the big one, but we won and he is a part of that.

Pollard wasn't good, but I'm not putting it all on him. Pees kept matching him up against slot receivers, and Pollard lacks the shiftyness to go against a guy like Crabtree.

I wouldn't feel bad about matching Pollard up with most TEs in the league, but Davis' speed sets him apart from most of the other ones. Still, most of Davis' yards came against Ray Lewis.

can't agree more, i couldn't believe my eyes seeing his performance last night, bouncing off WRs, looked lost, maybe they should of kept him closer to LOS instead of in coverage.

[quote name='jtsmoothSocalBmore@heart25' timestamp='1359993182' post='1344493']
I agree about Pollard. However, the defense was crappy after the "black-out". I felt our D went to sleep with all the old men on it. Ozzie needs to retool for the next great Baltimore Defensive unit. You could see that the niners young legs were finally catching up to all them boys. Something they weren't use to playing veteran squads like Den and NE.
[/quote]Don't drink the hater kool-aide. Our defense is far from being "old"....

He seemed to pay more attention to receivers around the line of scrimmage, while Vernon Davis continued to run right behind him. His tackling was what concerned me. He was just bumping into people without wrapping up, I think his mental state must have been on planet mars, because he gets really pumped for regular season games, I can only imagine how he was for the super bowl.

[/quote]
I'd beg to differ on Ngata. He was the difference inside. Gore and the 49er run game was contained all game long until Ngata went down. Then they started busting long gashing runs. I thought Ngata played pretty well.

From what I could tell with Suggs is he was hesitant to rush full on because of Kaepernick's scramble ability. I will say this though, the defensive gameplan was for the edge guy to run free on Kaepernick and let the rest of the front 7 worry about Gore. That's how Pees planned it and thats why you saw Suggs so often run right into Kaepernick. Suggs played his assignment well in the rush game.

As for Lewis, to be honest I thought he'd have a better game and come out like an animal in his last game. Sometimes things don't always work that way but he plunged head first into the wash on 1st down on that last defensive stand and to be honest you don't see Lewis do that very often. Usually he reads and then reacts, but on that play he just ran right into the middle. Lewis didn't have a strong game by any means. But at this point, Im not going to point fingers at Lewis and say he played awful. I'll let the legend walk into the sunset.

And really, before that stupid ridiculous light blow out we are absolutely crushing the 49ers and the defense had given up 6 points. I firmly believe if those lights dont go out and give the 49ers a chance to catch their breath that we would have completely spanked them. You also have to remember that on 2 of the 49er scoring drives Rice fumbles on our own 25ish and Koch has the worst punt of his life that bounced at our own 40 and Ginn ran it back to our 20 I think. So the defense didn't exactly get a chance to even make a stand in those 2 series.

Pollard's coverage was confusing and frustrating. Apparently he broke his ribs but I don't see how it affected willingly allowing his guy to get and sit behind him. Regardless we won and he was huge for us in the Championship game.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1360015910' post='1345262']
I'd beg to differ on Ngata. He was the difference inside. Gore and the 49er run game was contained all game long until Ngata went down. Then they started busting long gashing runs. I thought Ngata played pretty well.

From what I could tell with Suggs is he was hesitant to rush full on because of Kaepernick's scramble ability. I will say this though, the defensive gameplan was for the edge guy to run free on Kaepernick and let the rest of the front 7 worry about Gore. That's how Pees planned it and thats why you saw Suggs so often run right into Kaepernick. Suggs played his assignment well in the rush game.

As for Lewis, to be honest I thought he'd have a better game and come out like an animal in his last game. Sometimes things don't always work that way but he plunged head first into the wash on 1st down on that last defensive stand and to be honest you don't see Lewis do that very often. Usually he reads and then reacts, but on that play he just ran right into the middle. Lewis didn't have a strong game by any means. But at this point, Im not going to point fingers at Lewis and say he played awful. I'll let the legend walk into the sunset.

And really, before that stupid ridiculous light blow out we are absolutely crushing the 49ers and the defense had given up 6 points. I firmly believe if those lights dont go out and give the 49ers a chance to catch their breath that we would have completely spanked them. You also have to remember that on 2 of the 49er scoring drives Rice fumbles on our own 25ish and Koch has the worst punt of his life that bounced at our own 40 and Ginn ran it back to our 20 I think. So the defense didn't exactly get a chance to even make a stand in those 2 series.
[/quote]

Agreed. Feels like the Haloti injury wasn't brought up by the national media as to why the 49ers were able to gush us with the run in the 4th quarter when for the rest of the game we had them contained very well. Apparently Frank Gore himself thought he was killing it for the entire game. Smh.