Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info »
Close

Photo

Bernard Pollard, I expected MORE

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

I knew he was NOT GOOD in coverage.. but ohh man! He played about as bad as a Strong Safety could have IMO. Missed a handfull of tackels, allowed a td..and was lost in coverage ALL NIGHT.
We need to see more from him next year. I never thought he would have stunk up the joint so badly. He's made some great plays and was a major contributor this season, but man did he look horrendous last night. I'm just glad we got the victory, but he saved his worst game for the biggest stage.

Thoughts?

#2 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,479 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Agree 100%, he seemed confused in coverage. Ed Reed yelled at him multiple times for staying too shallow and allowing Davis to get past him. Not to mention that dreadful missed tackle on Crabtree's TD.

Still, major credit to all our corners, they played ball yesterday,
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#3 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Agree 100%, he seemed confused in coverage. Ed Reed yelled at him multiple times for staying too shallow and allowing Davis to get past him. Not to mention that dreadful missed tackle on Crabtree's TD.

Still, major credit to all our corners, they played ball yesterday,

Its like he forgot how to tackle. I'd expect those attempts from Ed..but Pollard? Hes supposed to be the enforcer. I saw ZERO swagger from him. We need the intensity, he feeds off of it..and so do the other DB's. I would have had to seriouly consider bringing in Diggz.

#4 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

It looks to me Pollard was choking up for first SB; he made so many missed assignment but we win or lost as a team cuz we are compliment each other. When our teammates play bad, other teammates step up and help out like Jimmy Smith or more on our secondary...
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#5 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

As a whole, the defense wasnt very good. The Upshaw strip was gigantic, the 9ers were driving down the field easily.
Suggs, Ngata , Ray..none of them had a good game either.

#6 msufan

msufan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

He did have a bad game, but he has been solid all yr

#7 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Its like he forgot how to tackle. I'd expect those attempts from Ed..but Pollard? Hes supposed to be the enforcer. I saw ZERO swagger from him. We need the intensity, he feeds off of it..and so do the other DB's. I would have had to seriouly consider bringing in Diggz.

Ed actually looked pretty damn good tackling wise.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#8 Sandbox

Sandbox

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm not sure of when it happened but he suffered a broken rib during the game.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Pollard wasn't confused, he was trying to freelance and make a play.

Ed actually looked pretty damn good tackling wise.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't pick him to stop a 260 lb in his tracks but he did BEAUTIFULLY.

Edited by BloodRaven, 04 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” - MLK

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,069 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

As a whole, the defense wasnt very good. The Upshaw strip was gigantic, the 9ers were driving down the field easily.

Totally true. Suggs, Ngata, Ray had "eh" games. Suggs overpursued a LOT. Too much, in my opinion. And on the play where we gave up a big Kaepernick run,, Williams went around the left of the block instead of cutting inside against the RB, which allowed Kaepernick to get a big run.

#11 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Pollard wasn't confused, he was trying to freelance and make a play.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't pick him to stop a 260 lb in his tracks but he did BEAUTIFULLY.

both safeties cant freelance... LOL

#12 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

He had a bad game. He cant be Superman EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#13 jtsmoothSocalBmore@heart25

jtsmoothSocalBmore@heart25

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I agree about Pollard. However, the defense was crappy after the "black-out". I felt our D went to sleep with all the old men on it. Ozzie needs to retool for the next great Baltimore Defensive unit. You could see that the niners young legs were finally catching up to all them boys. Something they weren't use to playing veteran squads like Den and NE.
"Just Bring It"-The Rock

#14 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ngata's play didn't show up in the stat sheet, but he was the biggest reason on the defensive side of the ball IMO why we held them to 6 pts in the first half (the Reed pick and Upshaw/Jones fumble recovert notwithstanding). It all went downhill when he got injured in the 3rd. I agree on Suggs and Lewis not playing their best though.

As for the reason of this thread, I don't even want to talk about Pollard's and Williams' "tackle attempt" on Crabtree, ridiculous guys, just wrap him up!

#15 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

The Bonecrusher was absolutely horrific yesterday but the knockout against New England was a critical play
for us so Ill give him a pass .

#16 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

both safeties cant freelance... LOL

Ed is better when he doesn't, he erases half of the field.
“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” - MLK

#17 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think the stage got to Pollard a bit. I really do. He's been great for us all season though.

The defense as a unit had an outstanding first half and an "omg what is going on" second half. In the end, they managed to get it done when it mattered most.

We are SB Champs. As Harbaugh likes to say, we aren't pretty, we aren't perfect, we're just us.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#18 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well I think Pollard was isolated often by the 49ers by design with certain formations to exploit his lack of coverage skills and limit his big hit potential by forcing him to turn and run with WRs or TEs rather than have Pollard playing deep and closing in for big hits.

When I saw pollard on Moss I couldn't believe my eyes but knowing how little the 49ers utilized most this year made me Not worry as much.

I had not seen Pollard tackle this bad since maybe the KC game or Dallas game earlier in the season

#19 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,135 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Whoever gave me a neg... :P Coverage is one thing, not his strong point, but the guy wasnt even tackling or hitting hard.

#20 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I knew he was NOT GOOD in coverage.. but ohh man! He played about as bad as a Strong Safety could have IMO. Missed a handfull of tackels, allowed a td..and was lost in coverage ALL NIGHT.
We need to see more from him next year. I never thought he would have stunk up the joint so badly. He's made some great plays and was a major contributor this season, but man did he look horrendous last night. I'm just glad we got the victory, but he saved his worst game for the biggest stage.

Thoughts?

Yup definitely not a good time to be at your worst, but everyone does have bad games. Maybe it was just how he matched up against the personnel. Who knows, but I know he is as big a reason as any that we got hear. Too bad he couldn't show up for the big one, but we won and he is a part of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users