Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purple Punishment

Jimmy Smith

36 posts in this topic

I know he has been somewhat of a disappointment this season but I say in the last two years, when it counted, he came up big. That Tip Drill from Pollard last year.

This year with that big hit to force the incompletion and then getting up and physical (the reason we drafted him) with Crabtree. He played his tail off those last few plays. Mad love for the Jimmy!

Jimmy is still a project but he'll become a household name soon enough. Next year's corners: Webb, Jimmy, Chykie, Corey? That looks solid to me.

Carey balled out last night but he'll demand way too much money for us to compete in a bidding war...

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1359983825' post='1344198']
Those plays (even if one is questionable) alone were worth using that 1st round pick on him.
[/quote]

True story! That Crabtree play is exactly what we drafted him to do, be nasty, physical, take the timing away and dont give him an easy time. Jimmy did all that and Crabtree came up short!

He also had a nice pass break-up covering Moss. Hopefully, he stays healthy next year and continues to develop.

Jimmy still has a bright future. The kids first two years were derailed by injuries. He's getting his confidence back

I know Jim Harbaugh was upset that the 49ers lost the game, but how on earth can you think JSmith committed a penalty on that play? Crabtree initiates contact with Smith, has his hand on Smith's head and pushes him to the ground... Smith has Crabtree's jersey yes, but he never tugs on it at all. I think Faulk summed it up best, the refs stayed consistent in how they called the game right until the very end and that was a good non call.

And let's be frank, the 49er corners were straight mugging our WRs. Torrey gets overthrown by the endzone because Culliver jams him at the 15 yard mark...come on.

[quote name='Purple Punishment' timestamp='1359984605' post='1344228']
True story! That Crabtree play is exactly what we drafted him to do, be nasty, physical, take the timing away and dont give him an easy time. Jimmy did all that and Crabtree came up short!
[/quote]

Aye man even if that becomes his only defining moment as a Raven then I'd still say it's a success!

He's getting his confidence back! We'll need him next year because Cary Williams will want too much money for us to be able to pay.

Jimmy layed the smack down on that receiver! i was proud of him on that hit! Ravens style baby!

~Mili

He made some big plays. I like his mental toughness and the way he stayed ready. He didn't throw a pity party when was relegated to special teams.

Jimmy is starting to grow on me. A little more consistency and I'll be lovin on him like I was when we drafted him.

Injuries have prevented him from further developing thus far. I hope he really learned how to study film from Ray and Ed Reed, jimmy should work out with L.Webb in the offseason to get his mental game down and technique. I think jimmy can play up to level that kept Cary as a starter this season and surpass that by far.

He also has the size and ball skills to give a shot at Safety if Ed doesn't return and C.Thompson isn't ready yet.

Those where to straight important no calls for Jimmy Smith on the goaline stand lol. Helmet to Helmet (by league standards) on that forced pass breakup. And then Defensive P.I. against Crabtree. Luckily for us the refs where letting the guys play football on both sides of the field. There were barely any holding calls either if I recall.

He also had a huge ST play against Denver that helped flip the field. He's really come on strong when it matters most.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1359986307' post='1344262']
I know Jim Harbaugh was upset that the 49ers lost the game, but how on earth can you think JSmith committed a penalty on that play? Crabtree initiates contact with Smith, has his hand on Smith's head and pushes him to the ground... Smith has Crabtree's jersey yes, but he never tugs on it at all. I think Faulk summed it up best, the refs stayed consistent in how they called the game right until the very end and that was a good non call.

And let's be frank, the 49er corners were straight mugging our WRs. Torrey gets overthrown by the endzone because Culliver jams him at the 15 yard mark...come on.
[/quote]

Crabtree doesn't even complain afterwards. In THE biggest play of his life, had Jimmy held, he would have at least reacted some way.

Jimmy is coming along nicely. He has been slowed by injuries which has been a roadblock in his progression. It took Webb, Cary, Corey Graham, multiple seasons to become solid corners. People need to give him a chance.

Now only if he can get stronger and stay on field on regular season to get some experience and be a stable #2...I can only wish

Even with losing Cary, Our CB's for next year is pretty sweet. Webb will return to #1 and I think to start the season Corey will be our #2. Jimmy will once again start the season at #3, Chykie Brown at #4, and either Asa Jackson or some FA/Draft Pick be the #5 and #6

Smith essentially shut down Moss.

Love the guy...

And to clarify

It WAS Defensive Holding, but Crabtree reacted! Therefore
THERE SHOULD BE NO CALL! HE INITIATED THE CONTACT
If anything it was OPI

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1359983909' post='1344203']
Jimmy is still a project but he'll become a household name soon enough. Next year's corners: Webb, Jimmy, Chykie, Corey? That looks solid to me.

Carey balled out last night but he'll demand way too much money for us to compete in a bidding war...
[/quote]

Look out for Asa.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1359991450' post='1344414']
Mark my words: he is a starter next year and proves his 1st round draft status.
[/quote]

I think he shows the potential he showed his first season and builds on it. The only reason I think he didn't play much this post season was to not mess up the chemistry. I think he balls out next year.

I think the Webb injury may have been a blessing in disguise. Williams had a lot of reps, will probably get a big deal and give us a decent compensatory draft pick in 2014. It helped Brown & Smith get needed reps, and it showed us Graham is a play-maker and more than a special teams ace. Our secondary may have been gashed this year, but it also gained so much experience. I think this is a big positive, and I feel like this is only going to help us in the future.

When Webb returns, we will have four quality cornerbacks. One shutdown corner coming off of an injury with a LOT of time to heal. One promising CB who is a play-maker and can cover really well (Graham). One CB played by injuries but is really coming into his own who is also a play-maker, physical, & has all the measurables you want. And then another CB built similar to Cary Williams who is cheaper & possibly more of a play-maker & further along than Williams was coming into the league (Brown).

I haven't lost faith in Jimmy. Injuries have killed him through his first few seasons, but he has shown flashes of his talents when he's been healthy.

I love Jimmy's aggressiveness. If anything, he's too aggressive at time. If he can use his aggressive play style to his advantage, as well as playing the ball and not falling for double moves so easily, he will become a very good corner.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1360026470' post='1345548']
I think the Webb injury may have been a blessing in disguise. Williams had a lot of reps, will probably get a big deal and give us a decent compensatory draft pick in 2014. It helped Brown & Smith get needed reps, and it showed us Graham is a play-maker and more than a special teams ace. Our secondary may have been gashed this year, but it also gained so much experience. I think this is a big positive, and I feel like this is only going to help us in the future.

When Webb returns, we will have four quality cornerbacks. One shutdown corner coming off of an injury with a LOT of time to heal. One promising CB who is a play-maker and can cover really well (Graham). One CB played by injuries but is really coming into his own who is also a play-maker, physical, & has all the measurables you want. And then another CB built similar to Cary Williams who is cheaper & possibly more of a play-maker & further along than Williams was coming into the league (Brown).
[/quote]

Future looks very bright for our corners. Williams absolutely won't be back, and while I'm happy he played a big role and really stepped his game up in the second half of the season, I'm happy he turned down the extension he was offered at the start of the year. As you said, he'll be signed to a big contract that will give us a nice compensatory pick, we're already strong at CB, and not having him signed gives us more of a chance at retaining other FA's.

As for Jimmy... he showed some big flashes again. A healthy season and we could all be talking about how great it is having him and Webb as our two top corners.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1359983909' post='1344203']

[/quote]

So will Kruger, he is the best pass rushing linebacker in free agency this season.

I'm a fan of Jimmy and I'm still expecting big things. He is one of those types of players where the 'light is going to turn on' one day.

He needs to learn more from watching tape on his opponents and just understanding the game at the NFL level. It will come, patience.