69 replies to this topic

#61 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I don't use my powers for such trivial nonsense.

Besides, simple arithmetic could help you figure the Reed situation out.

Not really. People used "simple arithmetic" a few years ago too when Ray was a FA. Everyone said we could only get 2/3, many thought it would be Bart Scott/Suggs and that Ray was looking for one last pay day. People FREAKED OUT when Lewis mentioned he dreamed of playing for Dallas. He tested the market, realized his market wasn't as big as he thought, and came back here.

I could very well see the same thing happening with Reed. Does Belichick have a man crush on him? Of course he does. But Reed LOVES baltimore. If we work it right, Reed can very well be retiring in purple and black.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#62 azreael344

azreael344

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

While Flacco did play quite well yesterday Boldin would have been my vote for MVP....... he couldn't have been more clutch if he tried

#63 Raven07

Raven07

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

in my mind Boldin was hands down the MVP....... yes flacco had 3 TD's but it was Boldins grit and determination to win the game,..... to make those catches .... move those chains.... i felt like Boldin IS the MVP :) but hey... everyone's a winner regardless! it was his ability to snag those balls out of the air and get those scores!

Edited by Raven07, 05 February 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image
yes,Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs, Ford, Deadliest Catch exc is my Cousin. 2nd Cousin to be exact.
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#64 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

I've been saying it all season, ever since the first mentions of cutting him on this board popped up. Anquan Boldin is the only receiver on our roster who can take over a game. Torrey just isn't a number one receiver yet. He's a solid number two. Jones is a great compliment receiver. I'm sorry, but I'm just not sold on Tandon Doss at all, as some fans seem to be. Anquan Boldin is the best receiver on this roster, the only guy we can count on, not for a single clutch catch, but for an entire clutch game, and the guy who has the most chemistry with Flacco, maybe tied with Pitta.
Ozzie has shown that, no matter how big a defensive loss seems at the time, good drafting and under-the-radar moves in free agency will always maintain a good defense. Boldin has become the receiver we were never able to find in 14 seasons. Questions about losing Reed vs. Ellerbe vs. Kruger vs Cary Williams, etc are real concerns. But, I would take Anquan Boldin over all of them for the future of this team.
For a guy with an infamous lack of speed, it's not as though we have any reason to think he's going to "slow down" over the next year or two, because of the hard truth that he is a 32-year-old receiver. For all the receptions records that he holds, he's never played better than he did in this postseason, and that kind of chemistry with Joe is too valuable to lose now that we've finally found it.
Boldin, who isn't even a free agent, might be the biggest priority to retain this offseason.

Edited by Footman DCXLV, 05 February 2013 - 03:07 AM.

Posted Image

#65 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Why Reed and Boldin Needs to return. My biggest reason why, is leadership. Yes Flacco and Suggs are probably the 2 leaders out in front, but Boldin and Reed seem to have that wisdom and that presence for younger guys to look up to. I think it's so important not to allow either guy to leave the building because it'll take more leadership then talent to get this team into position to repeat.

I think since like 2005, no Super Bowl team has one at least 1 playoff game the nextt season. It's tough and now without Ray, i think you still want some vets with the pedigree of Boldin and Reed.

Torrey and Jacoby are more talented at this point, but much like Ray, Boldin means so much to this offense from an emotional standpoint. Also Reed's impact as the Voice of the secondary is huge. No he doesn't have the same range and I wouldn't be surprised to see Reed sign a 2yr Contract just enough to bring stability and also have a Last Ride moment of his own. He deserves it.
Posted Image

#66 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

For the last time no one wants to cut Boldin, its whether or not we are going to have to cut him based on our cap situation.

Edited by Cville-Raven, 05 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#67 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,737 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

I've been saying it all season, ever since the first mentions of cutting him on this board popped up. Anquan Boldin is the only receiver on our roster who can take over a game. Torrey just isn't a number one receiver yet. He's a solid number two. Jones is a great compliment receiver. I'm sorry, but I'm just not sold on Tandon Doss at all, as some fans seem to be. Anquan Boldin is the best receiver on this roster, the only guy we can count on, not for a single clutch catch, but for an entire clutch game, and the guy who has the most chemistry with Flacco, maybe tied with Pitta.
Ozzie has shown that, no matter how big a defensive loss seems at the time, good drafting and under-the-radar moves in free agency will always maintain a good defense. Boldin has become the receiver we were never able to find in 14 seasons. Questions about losing Reed vs. Ellerbe vs. Kruger vs Cary Williams, etc are real concerns. But, I would take Anquan Boldin over all of them for the future of this team.
For a guy with an infamous lack of speed, it's not as though we have any reason to think he's going to "slow down" over the next year or two, because of the hard truth that he is a 32-year-old receiver. For all the receptions records that he holds, he's never played better than he did in this postseason, and that kind of chemistry with Joe is too valuable to lose now that we've finally found it.
Boldin, who isn't even a free agent, might be the biggest priority to retain this offseason.

Disagree significantly with you saying he is the only receiver that can take over a game. Torrey has taken over several games. Granted Boldin does it a lot more consistently, but to discredit what Torrey did against San Diego, Cleveland, New England, Giants, and then the Broncos........ come on now

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#68 Footman DCXLV

Footman DCXLV

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Disagree significantly with you saying he is the only receiver that can take over a game. Torrey has taken over several games. Granted Boldin does it a lot more consistently, but to discredit what Torrey did against San Diego, Cleveland, New England, Giants, and then the Broncos........ come on now

I'll give you the Patriots game from the beginning of this season, and the Rams game that jump-started his career last year. The Chargers game, although he had a tremendous game, I never had a sense of "They can't stop this guy," which is how Boldin has made it look lately. And, again, although he had a great game against Denver, three catches isn't taking over a game.
Torrey can be a difference maker, and a guy who can win a game. But, Anquan is the only guy we have that can dominate from whistle to whistle, because of his ability to take jump balls anywhere on the field, whether he's really open or not.

Edited by Footman DCXLV, 05 February 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#69 Ravens_fan

Ravens_fan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I never wished him gone, now I hope he can be retained.

#70 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

In the original Next Years WR thread, I was constantly battling for Boldin next year, but in all honesty if Caldwell doesn't replace Cameron then Boldin continues to get used on downfield streaks and continues to " struggle" for lack of better word. Or as everyone liked to say all the time " no separation".
But Caldwell begin to put Boldin and Torrey in the slot and in motion and use routes over the middle to create extra spacing so that Boldin can use his route running and body to be physical and create plays. It's amazing how greate Boldin , pitta look doing seams down the center of the field or slants over the middle exploiting safeties and LBs.

Boldin may still be asked to take a pay cut, or given an extension to lower his cap number or he may even be cut anyway for salary reasons but the playoff run plus smart play-calling that utilize his talents rather than forcing him to be a deep threat showed Boldin can still be a difference maker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users