Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Bernard Pierce Even Better Than Expected

77 posts in this topic

The rookie running back is a ‘poor man’s Adrian Peterson.’

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Bernard-Pierce-Even-Better-Than-Expected/1bf53d0c-54cd-4696-8248-a88518d84c2b]View the full article[/url]

How about Boldin,Pitta&Torrey split out with Bernard&Rice behind Joe under center? Rice splits out on a shift putting the onus on coverage to the SF linbackers. We run from this one back spread line up or even stack the three recievers to one side with Ray motioning to the recieverless side of the formation and WE run.run run even reverses. ......NAH hey diddle diddle Rice up the middle and Bernard spelling him. TOO BAD cause SF will man up to stop Cam's tweaked run,run punt consevative offense. Spread'em out and make them guess! Throw Joe throw!!

@BloodRaven: "Haters" is too strong. I think you probably meant "skeptics". I admit that I was shocked/surprised when the Ravens moved up in the 3rd round and grabbed Pierce. Retrospectively, what a brilliant move that was. It was one of those selections that made me realize that Ozzie and Eric are very good at what they do.

[quote name='axisofeeble' timestamp='1359741046' post='1337679']
How about Boldin,Pitta&Torrey split out with Bernard&Rice behind Joe under center? Rice splits out on a shift putting the onus on coverage to the SF linbackers. We run from this one back spread line up or even stack the three recievers to one side with Ray motioning to the recieverless side of the formation and WE run.run run even reverses. ......NAH hey diddle diddle Rice up the middle and Bernard spelling him. TOO BAD cause SF will man up to stop Cam's tweaked run,run punt consevative offense. Spread'em out and make them guess! Throw Joe throw!!
[/quote]

Good Idea, but i think when we run the ball, I would really like if we followed our 260 pound Pro Bowl Fullback. That's what he is for, and if you don't remember last year's 49ers game, Leach Blew up Willis and Bowman.

I have mad respect for Rice but it seems that Pierce is performing better. 6.3 yards per carry compared to 3.9 for Rice isn't even close. It drives me crazy when we keep handing the ball to Rice for a 1 yard gain and then it leaves us in a 3rd and long position.

Rice longest run this season was 46 yards and Pierce is 78.... Yet rice is the 3rd or 4th highest paid rb In the NFL...?

Give Rice all the receptions and screens/dumpoffs. Give Pierce a slight majority of the carries. Can't stop that

Tell ya what... I will NOT be drafting Ray in the first round in fantasy next year, because I really do think Pierce will become a bigger and bigger part of this offense, probably to the point of a full on timeshare.

Not that i'm complaining.

[quote name='CalvinSmoke' timestamp='1359742872' post='1337716']
Give Rice all the receptions and screens/dumpoffs. Give Pierce a slight majority of the carries. Can't stop that
[/quote]

I think this one of the main reasons we brought in Castillo--to really look at how we can manage Rice in more of a Westbrook-type role where the majority of his touches come from short passes in space. This will open Pierce up to dominate behind Leach.

ESPN said we are going to be 20 million over the cap after the season, but the website said we are going to be 15 under, which is it??? I thought we were okay.

i didn't understand this pick when we drafted him but i was way wrong . this kid is something special i bet he has a huge game on sunday . this is our x factor for this game.

I personally don't care which one of them is on the field, I know both are going to run hard and both have the chance to break off big plays every time they touch the ball. We really haven't seen Pierce's ability to catch the ball so I would expect to see him out of the backfield this game as the 9ers won't be expecting him to do that...

Either one, I wish them both the best games of their lives (up until this point)

LEGGGGOOOOO RAVENS!!!

[quote name='J.O.14' timestamp='1359744335' post='1337738']
ESPN said we are going to be 20 million over the cap after the season, but the website said we are going to be 15 under, which is it??? I thought we were okay.
[/quote]

Worry about the present, the SB, not next year, the front office isn't worrying about so why should we be?????

[quote name='Suggs_to_be_you' timestamp='1359744085' post='1337731']
Tell ya what... I will NOT be drafting Ray in the first round in fantasy next year, because I really do think Pierce will become a bigger and bigger part of this offense, probably to the point of a full on timeshare.

Not that i'm complaining.
[/quote]

True, Rice is 26 and already has around 2150 rushing attempts (including Rutgers). Next year he might have to take the McGahee backup role.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1359745501' post='1337760']
True, Rice is 26 and already has around 2150 rushing attempts (including Rutgers). Next year he might have to take the McGahee backup role.
[/quote]He's getting paid too much to be a backup

It's going to be a big dillema sooner than later . God know how i like Ray Rice, he is a sure top 5 back, and we wouldn't be here without him, no brainer. But BP is a beast, and i think he maybe the best RB of this draft class. i'm serious. And it reminds me bad memory when we had Jamal Lewis as our no brainer starter (and deserving it) but we had to let go in 2001 a gem at RB , priest holmes wich happen to be beetween 2001 and 2003 the best RB in football! the same year we let holmes go, lewis was lost for the season... Ray rice has been very productive and never missed a game but he was also a workload in college and he is one of the back with the most carries in NFL too... Hope we will find a way to keep both player in our backfield... Go Ravens Go!

Just enjoying the moment. Pierce is just awesome back, great change up or whatever you want to call him, but simply call us fortunate to have landed such a talent!!! Ray is pretty clutch, big play also, hey diddle, diddle. We will require the entire rosters efforts come Sunday. Have we had the big specials team play in the playoffs, outside of my favorite kicker ever!!, Tuckers big kick in Indy? Would it not be lovely to have Jacoby break one.

I see us keeping Pierce as our number one once RR decides to call it quits or stops producing as much.

What a lethal combination and how lucky can we be to have these two sharing the rock! I think it is critical to have both of these guys total at least 35-40 snaps in the SB and be effective for us to win! That will certainly open up the play action and Joe Flacco will slice and dice the Niners all day! Go Ravens and may God be with you!

Who knows where this guy is heading. The problem we have, as they said in the article, is how to manage to split their carries. It's not only between Rice and Pierce, it is about how to get all the weapons we have (including Boldin, Smith and Pitta) enough touches. This, of course, is a good problem to have.

Bp is a beast 4real 4real and he's underrated. He honestly hits the holes better than rice can. Rice shines more in the passing game. Just being honest. Hope all my fellow ravens are ready to get a ring on sunday!!! Ravenz All Day!!

For those asking that Rice be relegated to back up duty next season, I think you are rather obtuse. Ray Rice is the better player today; Maybe Pierce becomes better in the future, but the future is not now. Let him be the yang to Ray's yin until he comes up on his contract year. If he shines then Rice can become the complimentary back. This reminds me of when the Bears had Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones and the fans wanted Jones gone. He ended up being the more dependable guy. You always need at least 2 good running backs in the NFL, let Pierce pay his dues now and then start in two or three years when Rice would be better served as a back up.

Pierce has been extremely impressive this year! I look forward to seeing him make some big plays this Sunday, and to play even better next season! He certainly is going to make a name for himself!

[quote name='Zeus' timestamp='1359742720' post='1337710']
I have mad respect for Rice but it seems that Pierce is performing better. 6.3 yards per carry compared to 3.9 for Rice isn't even close. It drives me crazy when we keep handing the ball to Rice for a 1 yard gain and then it leaves us in a 3rd and long position.

Rice longest run this season was 46 yards and Pierce is 78.... Yet rice is the 3rd or 4th highest paid rb In the NFL...?
[/quote]

That's what happens when you are a top 5 back, defenses game plan to stop you - so when Rice is in the bring 7-8 to the box to stop him - Pierce is in there is a 50-50 chance pass/run so they drop back in to cover the pass...