87 replies to this topic

#1 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I keep seeing people saying that they think we will keep Reed. If that's the case, I really don't see us keeping both Kruger AND Reed. I don't even see how we can even sign Kruger with Reed gone. Personally I'd rather have Kruger for the future. He has been a fantastic addition to our pass rush. Reed being gone would be a big hole in secondary also. You don't magically get players like Ed.

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#2 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

IT is harder to replace players like Reed, so Reed
Banned

#3 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

The only one we're probably going to keep is ellerbe unfortunately.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#4 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Neither, both will be gone next season. Both are asking for huge contracts that the Ravens can't afford.

#5 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Reed is a larger priority. Maybe not for his actual skills anymore, however his leadership and intelligence will be especially huge for our team next year without Ray. Krugs hasnt really done anything up until this year and will get much more money elsewhere. I think we will keep both Reed and Ellerbe. Let kruger go.

#6 cwfRaven

cwfRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I agree that it's harder to replace someone like Reed, but how much longer do you think he'll play? It would seem that longevity would be a factor if it comes down to one or the other. Although, if we could keep Reed, we could probably raise a rookie and get him playing at Kruger-level before Ed retired...

Hmmm. Glad I'm not the one having to make that call.

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,437 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'd say Reed.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Neither, both will be gone next season. Both are asking for huge contracts that the Ravens can't afford.

I was also thinking neither. I really want them to keep Kruger though. Both being gone would be a huge whole in my purple heart. :(

AREYOUNOTENTERTAINED_zpsc5c83436.png

“If anybody comes inside, I want to kill them.” -Marshal Yanda

#9 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Neither. Locking down Joe to a contract to at least give us a chance at either Kruger or Reed.
Posted Image

#10 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

I was also thinking neither. I really want them to keep Kruger though. Both being gone would be a huge whole in my purple heart. :(

Yes Kruger is a big must if they can keep him but again it's all about the benjamins.

#11 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Kruger wants big money and Ed already has one foot put the door. I'd be surprised if either turns down more money so they can return.

#12 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

I honestly think Kruger's success is a result of Suggs' return to the field. Kruger was a non-factor until Suggs returned in the Houston game. After that game, Kruger BLEW UP. And I believe a large reason for that boost in production was because Sizzle was demanding the double team. Kruger is a quality player but he isn't a premier pass rusher like the stats would imply. He is a product of the system he's playing in and he definitely benefits off of the other talent in that front 7.

If Paul follows the blockbuster contract to another team they'll be sorely disappointed in his drop in production without a player of Suggs caliber demanding all of the attention on the other side of the line.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#13 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Reed we have upshaw if we cant sign kruger. All pro FS vs promising OLB? All pro. i think we can fit reed in somewhere but its going to come down to how the FO places the money in Flacco's contract i read the cap goes up a few million in 2014 maybe fit some wiggle room in 2013 higher pay in 2014.. who knows up to Oz.

#14 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

If I had to choose one, from a general manager's standpoint, Id go with Kruger. Reed would probably be around another 2-3 years at best. Kruger we could lock up to a long term contract, and he'd be an impact pass rusher for years to come.

I can't see how we'd manage to keep them around though.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#15 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,053 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Reed. While Reed's speed has declined, his IQ & instincts are sharper than before. He is best in his zone and not gambling. I also think contrary to others that Reed will be cheaper than Kruger. His leadership is also a very underrated aspect of his game. I think we will need his leadership with the loss of #52.

Kruger's becoming a top-notch pass rusher. He can play DE & OLB. That's versatile. He is OK in coverage and is also OK at setting the edge. Teams will think they can coach him up and will offer him a bigger deal and he takes it. His pass rush is too good to pass up, and he can play in a 2-point, 3-point, or 4-point stance. He's good.

I think we will keep Ellerbe, Reed & Joe. Might let some RFAs go and re-sign to veteran minimum deals.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 01 February 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#16 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

People need to accept the fact that neither is going to be here next season. Reed is washed up and wants too much money, and Kruger isn't going to be able to turn down the large contracts some other teams can offer. Flacco is the priority, him and Ellerbe might be it.

#17 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hey, this guy might be a partial troll (you know since you are an Indy fan. Too) but I have to agree with this. They could both be gone next season. I do not know that Kruger is asking for a big contract, but the way he has played lately he certainly could expect one. Reed, who knows. The guy is an enigma.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#18 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

People need to accept the fact that neither is going to be here next season. Reed is washed up and wants too much money, and Kruger isn't going to be able to turn down the large contracts some other teams can offer. Flacco is the priority, him and Ellerbe might be it.

Man, I hate to use the word washed up. Thats a little brutal. Although he may want a lot of money who knows with this guy. He might just want a big office. It is hard to understand his motivations. Kruger must know that he can get a fat contract and will likely hold out to see what exactly it is. We will not be able to match it. So unless he is willing to take a huge hometown discount, I expect (as painful as it will be) we lose him. Reed may be back, he may go elsewhere, he may retire, who knows?

I also agree with Bmorelegacy, Kruger has excelled because of the team around him. I really do not think he will have the same level of success, but he will have the big contract.

Edited by jaege, 01 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#19 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I keep seeing people saying that they think we will keep Reed. If that's the case, I really don't see us keeping both Kruger AND Reed. I don't even see how we can even sign Kruger with Reed gone. Personally I'd rather have Kruger for the future. He has been a fantastic addition to our pass rush. Reed being gone would be a big hole in secondary also. You don't magically get players like Ed.

Reed. As much as I love Kruger, we have Upshaw to replace him. We don't really have much depth or many players to replace Reed in the secondary. Reed is also one of those players, who changes the game by just being on the field. People have to account for him. Kruger has developed well, but he will be overpaid by someone else (same argument for Reed), and won't have the same impact that Reed has just with his presence.

FWIW I don't think either will be here this season as belichick will pay Reed whatever he wants to be there and Ozzie being a good GM wont screw his team over and match it just to keep him.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 01 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#20 fistfullwales

fistfullwales

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Reed is going to be too expensive for what he is now - a locker room presence. It's hard to accept, but his play is declining quickly and he will get more money elsewhere from a team who still sees him as the Ed Reed from years ago.

I doubt we have the cap space for Kruger and I think he is also going to be paid more than he's worth by another team. I think we draft a safety early to replace Reed and Upshaw takes Kruger's spot.

Edited by fistfullwales, 01 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users