Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/31: Ozzie Newsome Makes Hall of Fame Case For Art Modell

67 posts in this topic

Reed could see himself as a Patriot. Deer antler spray not banned.Denver mayor pays up.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-131-Ozzie-Newsome-Makes-Hall-of-Fame-Case-For-Art-Modell/4c5e3aca-d34d-4bd3-8745-d001c5aac838]View the full article[/url]

Like I said, Ed shouldn't even entertain that idea of playing for NE while he's on the Ravens getting ready for the Super Bowl. He come off as unloyal. We had some Ravens fans in the comments defending that, is just crazy!

Insulin Growth Factor is only effective if it is injected into the blood stream. The spray won't do anything.... The guy who owns the company made the claim that Ray Lewis was using his product and healed quickly from his tricep injury. Ray Lewis is the biggest name in sports at this moment, and the dude that made this accusations just got tons of free publicity for his product. Don't have a link, but I heard this guy's website got so much traffic after this report that it shut down.

Ed as a Patriot? Thought about that yesterdy... Wow... That's almost like Hines Ward being a Raven... No thumbs down folks... I know it's a possibility, but that's just how ridiculous I think it sounds... I think Ozzie will get Ed to reconsider that thought process.

Art Model is one of the founders of the NFL, of course he deserves the HOF!
GO RAVENS!

ESPN made it seem like Ed said he wants to play for the Pats. After reading this, all he is basically saying is he respects Belichick and wouldnt mind playing for him if he has to.

If anyone thinks Eds first choice isnt Baltimore hasnt watched football for the past 11 years to see what he has given up for the organization. He will be back if Joe gets a long term deal done before franchise tagging him. If not, we may see him in New England, Indy or Denver.

What annoys me the most about this week is that, what the Ravens are doing now they have been doing all season. Flacco saying he is Elite. Ed making controversial statements, Suggs and Ray Rice playing around, Jacoby Dancing, Anquan and Haloti being quiet leaders, And most importantly RAY LEWIS PREACHING. These outside reporters are labeling things as distractions because they have no clue. I thought you are suppose to keep everything as normal as you can during Superbowl week. Raven Nation knows our Boys.

Wow! ... Denver Mayor Hancock sure didn't seem sincere in that video.
Oh well, at least he 'did it'!

All I have to say is ...

More Baltimore Crabcakes for us real Ravens fans!!!

Go get 'em Ravens!!!

Reading about Ozzie's crusade for Art Modell's "case" for the HOF really touched me.

"But this is what I believe: Art Modell should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I hope he makes it this time. … And, if he does, I will be sad that it didn't happen when he was alive.”

It's a sad world when the best of us aren't recognized for what they do until they pass away...

OMG!!! Ed Reed will not be a Patsie next year!
Ed will be a RAVEN, Joe will get his contract, Rice will still be our starting RB, Ray Lewis will be on his way into the HOF, and the BALTIMORE RAVENS will be the NFL Super Bowl Champions. You all need to have a little more faith in the wizard of OZZ.
GO RAVENS!

Art Modell's Browns and Ravens. Art was an NFL Championship and a Super Bowl Championship owner. He surrounded himself with the best people to achieve this. He did it with dignity. Should he miss out on the HOF it is their loss and not Art's.

you know what? some of the comments ed reed makes, in the past 2 years, all i have to say is good riddance if we let him walk. he has been a selfish diva the past 2 years and i dont want any type of player like that on this team, i dont care about his amazing career, you dont run ur mouth on this kinda subject 4 days before the super bowl. he must have lost his marbles.

The funny thing about all of this outside press is, we have so many great stories on our team. NOt just Ray's or Torrey's. Lil Ray had a tough go at it, Cary Williams story will make you cry, Reed, KO, Rookie Justin Tucker, Graham, Matt Birk. It is so silly this cant be about football. The biggest game of the year and it coes down to poor comentary and bad reporting. If anything all the bull has to keep the player loose.

Some of these sideshow stories are why I believe the ProBowl should be played at the same venue as the Superbowl as a precursor. First and foremost it brings in more stars to be interviewed and then the other storylines like MVP debates can take the place of silly questions like whether Dennis Pitta is ticklish or not.

The Ravens have been termed a team of destiny. How apropos that Destiny's Child will be reunited at half time.

Let's all think about this for a second. Let's just assume Ray used this stuff...hypothetically speaking.

My question is this: did the Deer Antler Spray say somewhere on the box, or did the owner who allegedly sold it to him mention "this has a substance in it that is banned by the NFL"

Deer Antler Spray is not banned by the NFL, but rather has something in there that is banned. Was that something highlighted when it was allegedly sold? There's got to be over a 100 things listed on the banned substance list for the NFL and I would think that if it were written in red, players would know they are taking a chance. I'm assuming, that the box or bottle has little teeny tiny print.

Weird, all those who wanted to poke holes in the Manti Teo nonsense have gone on vacation[list]
[*]There's clearly something wrong with this guy from the company if he's selling something to an NFL player that he knows is banned.
[*]You hypothetically make your money, you take a man's business, and then you go to the tabloids to say "Hey guess what, I made money off of this guy by selling him something I wasn't supposed to sell him".
[*]Why did this guy lay low for so long? Why didn't he tell Sports Illustrated back in Week 15 when Ray was first eligible for return?
[*]Why on earth would you rat yourself out. This now means that any NFL player that is injured has to think twice about buying any of your product because you would have just put yourself on the NFL's blacklist.
[/list]
I'm not sure I'm buying his story because no smart businessman would put himself out there and say I sold him an illegal substance because every smart businessman would know that he has a chance to make more profit if he stayed under the radar.

You talk about a a low-down-dirty-shame. Only thing worse than a sleazeball is a sleazeball who can't even tell a good lie!

Completely off topic, but the SF local radio has finally resorted to the "Ray the Murderer" and "Ray the Cheater" routes...It's really sad what some folks do in order to feel better about themselves.

It really seems as though the media outside of Baltimore will focus on anything and everything "negative" about the Ravens. Thank goodness us fans outside of Maryland have this site to come to!

If the Ravens Win Ed goes to Miami for Big$$$$$ if we lose..... i wouldnt be suprised if he walked to Patri*ts

u know what, let them talk negative about us, that's cool with us, by the media standards we're not supposed to be here, like suggs said they are on to us since the begining , so lets win this thing .

Ok... I'll admit it. I'm sick of the coverage. All I've done for the last week and a half is watch NFL Network and ESPN. How can you not find anything better to talk about than, "The Brothers" - "Ray Lewis" - "Deer Antlers"... I feel like there are a lot of other great topics that could be touched on???? I get that media has to 'cover the hot topic' but honestly what happened to digging deep? How about highlighting to the whole league fan base how the Ravens became who they are, the fact Belichick was there the year before, that the Packers were going to pick Ray Lewis, but at the last second we got him?

The articles coming out about Ray are dispicable slander back by jeliousy and envy!
It the same crap I hear from Squeelers fans.
Ray Lewis deserves the respect of a great player because he EARNED it!
GO RAY, GO RAVENS

Speaking of the media, which always gives us love...I thought I would recap what they said so far about the Ravens:

Media said: Won't win any more games, done put a fork in them.....
Ravens answer: DO win more and are the 4th seed in the playoffs

Media said: "Chuck Strong" motivated offense with Luck too much for Ravens
Ravens answer: Dominated Colts 24-9 not allowing a touchdown for the Colts

Media said: Thin air, Peyton Manning is a QB master, Denvers's defense too Strong for Ravens to win, Ravens don't stand a chance.
Ravens answer: Ravens win a shoot out 38-35 in double overtime, Flacco out plays Manning

Media said: NE Brady is the best QB of all time, NE has offensive jugernaught, Ravens won't win because of "hurry up" offense of Pats
Ravens answer: Defense held Brady from scoring in the entire second half, Flacco out plays Brady Ravens go to Superbowl

So......as you can see we can take all the media "statements" and pretty much disregard them.

GO RAVENS!

We beat the number 1 and 2 seeds in their houses. Denver had won 11 in a row and the patriots had won 11 of their last 12. None of it means a thing because the team that will win is the healthiest team playing the best in the first week in February and there is no doubt which team that is. No team deserves it more and no group of players deserve it more than the Ravens.

Reed to the Patriots is a media hype machine. The Patriots will have about $15 million in cap room and still have to resign Wes Welker, Aqib Talib, Sebastion Vollmer & Julian Edelman to name a few... The Pats will not let Vollmer go, so that's about $4 million off that cap. If they sign Reed to the reported $ 8 million a year, then the Patriots will have $3 million in cap space. That means that Welker & Talib are both gone. I just don't see that happening.

Cincinnati & Cleveland both have the cap space but Reed pretty much spells out that he won't play in the division on another team.

That leaves the 3 Florida teams - plenty of cap space and close to home. The Dolphins need a FS that knows how to cover.

So, I either see Reed re-signing with the Ravens (fingers crossed) or signing with Miami.

[quote name='MDpgRaven' timestamp='1359650351' post='1336662']
Last Night My dad suprised me with Tickets to the game !!! See ya all in NOLA
[/quote]

So what are you doing in return for Father's Day?!
ENJOY THE GAME!!!!!!!

I don't think us fans should take Ed's comments personally. Yes, Ed has never been good about "timing" when it comes to comments. But who cares? Let's enjoy this fleeting moment and let the chips fall where they may when the time comes.

JUST WIN THE FREAKING SUPER BOWL!!!!

I heard something on the drive home yesterday that the Super Bowl Ref was a controversial pick. Anybody know why? Is he from San Fran? Kaepernick's Uncle?

[quote name='Chip Leader' timestamp='1359653621' post='1336712']
I heard something on the drive home yesterday that the Super Bowl Ref was a controversial pick. Anybody know why? Is he from San Fran? Kaepernick's Uncle?
[/quote] I heard that he's had a few bad grades (refs are graded), and other refs publicly complained that favoritism played a role in him being selected as the ref of the SB.

Not sure any of that's true. But that was discussed on the radio.

The Ref is Jerome Boger. I read a rant from an SF fan that says Boger has not worked a Ravens game in 2 years, and that every Ravens game he has worked, they were fewer penalties called on the Ravens, and we won them all. I don't know if it is true, but that works for me.

GO RAVENS!!

Back to the media, the only thing funnier than the media always picking against us (and being wrong) is how they can never know what to say once they realize they're wrong. Literally speechless.

[quote name='metalraven' timestamp='1359654515' post='1336718']
I heard that he's had a few bad grades (refs are graded), and other refs publicly complained that favoritism played a role in him being selected as the ref of the SB.

Not sure any of that's true. But that was discussed on the radio.
[/quote]
[quote name='Chip Leader' timestamp='1359654698' post='1336723']
The Ref is Jerome Boger. I read a rant from an SF fan that says Boger has not worked a Ravens game in 2 years, and that every Ravens game he has worked, they were fewer penalties called on the Ravens, and we won them all. I don't know if it is true, but that works for me.

GO RAVENS!!
[/quote]

Jerome Boger was the highest graded ref this past year, but had several "questionable" calls reviewed and taken out of consideration for his grade. He's a first time SB ref (apparently the committee chooses from 1-5 in terms of grade, with a preference for first-timers), and has refereed the bare minimum of postseason games to qualify.

I've not heard about his leaning towards one team or the other, most of the griping I've heard is about his postseason inexperience and his grade being "shady"...

[quote name='RavenManiac20' timestamp='1359646427' post='1336592']
ESPN made it seem like Ed said he wants to play for the Pats. After reading this, all he is basically saying is he respects Belichick and wouldnt mind playing for him if he has to.

If anyone thinks Eds first choice isnt Baltimore hasnt watched football for the past 11 years to see what he has given up for the organization. He will be back if Joe gets a long term deal done before franchise tagging him. If not, we may see him in New England, Indy or Denver.
[/quote]

And so many of our hometown suckers fell for it hook, line, and sinker...

[quote name='burnstr19' timestamp='1359650710' post='1336671']
Ok... I'll admit it. I'm sick of the coverage. All I've done for the last week and a half is watch NFL Network and ESPN. How can you not find anything better to talk about than, "The Brothers" - "Ray Lewis" - "Deer Antlers"... I feel like there are a lot of other great topics that could be touched on???? I get that media has to 'cover the hot topic' but honestly what happened to digging deep? How about highlighting to the whole league fan base how the Ravens became who they are, the fact Belichick was there the year before, that the Packers were going to pick Ray Lewis, but at the last second we got him?
[/quote]

You're sick of it, but all you do is watch it?

[quote name='Chip Leader' timestamp='1359654698' post='1336723']

GO RAVENS!!
[/quote]

OMG!! If you really sit back and listen to what the media says it will make you laugh because it so ridiculous. What person anywhere in this world with any type of common sense, would go on a rant about a ref with such foolishness to back up the rant. Come on people! I really dont get what is going through the heads of some of these fans and media outlets. Im glad i have my Ravens Nation to talk to because the people are going nutz out here.

I can't believe ed reed would talk about playing for the Patriots while being Raven now is not the time nor the place for that type of talk I mean your one game away from being a world champion as a Raven, ed reed you owe the city of Baltimore & the Ravens organization more respect than that.

[quote name='Chip Leader' timestamp='1359653621' post='1336712']
[/quote]

Sounds to me like the league is trying to pull another Superbowl 40

Who'da thunk that Chuck P would have gone to, of all places, the hated "Mayflowers? Ben to the Saints, Jared to the Bolts?

And, back in the day, when we helped make his name, Marvin Lewis to the Skins, then Cincy?

As Tessio would say to us if Ed does go to the Pats,... "Tell em it's just biznez!"

Alas, I don't put no stock in Talkin' Heads when there's a feeding frenzy for sports news going on!

I'm a bit surprised actually how many Ravens-fans don't know Ed Reed. Guys, you should all be perfectly aware that there's no telling what Reed is going to say or think tomorrow - even he doesn't know. During the course of one off-season he's capable of completely changing his mind about retirement and contract issues 3 or 4 times. One day he says he wants to retire, the next day he goes on telling how he cannot imagine himself not playing and wants to play for years. That's Ed Reed. We love him with this. I've always thought Ravens fans have learned that we shouldn't really pay attention to what he say when the off season comes - because when the new season starts he'll be on the field playing like he can - and that's what matters.

NOW Ed sasys he'll play on. NOW he (I'm sure) thinks he'll be a Patriot. What he will think in July or in August is anyone's guess now. Maybe he'll still think he'll play on and maybe he'll still think he wants to play in New England - so he goes there. Maybe he'll say something completely different...

That's Ed. That's how we love him ,)

bio

I can't stop laughing at the Denver mayor ... with that angry face. :D He's no Ray Lewis but he wasn't half bad. :D

[quote name='blindbat' timestamp='1359655917' post='1336747']
I can't believe ed reed would talk about playing for the Patriots while being Raven now is not the time nor the place for that type of talk I mean your one game away from being a world champion as a Raven, ed reed you owe the city of Baltimore & the Ravens organization more respect than that.
[/quote]

That's not really new. This scenario has been up in the air for a long time now. I remember at the beginning of the season talking about the distinct possibility of Reed not retiring after the season and the Ravens not keeping him at the price he'll be asking for, so he'll walk - and from then it's most logical to follow the thread to New England, knowing how Belichick loves Reed and how Reed acknowledges Belichick. That's not a new scenario.

What I don't really think, however is that Reed has more than one or two really productive years. Let's face it, he's not a machine either, he's slowing down - which isn't meant to be any kind of disrespect here, only the admission that he's only a human, too. Just look at his key stats. The only one he keeps up his trademark performance is tackles - and even that's much less than it was in his youth. As for "his trade", INT's: he had less INT's the last two seasons combined (4+3) than he had the season before (8) - where he didn't even play for the first 6 games...

Once again, it isn't any kind of disrespect towards him. He's still a heck of a player and his football knowledge and wisdom is still there in his head - and that alone is tremendous asset. I'd be more than happy to see him stay - but, to be honest, he seems quite determined about New england.

The deciding factor, IMHO (and it's pure speculation) is his desire to become a coach after his playing days are over - and I think he considers Balichick a better master than Harbaugh.

However it pans out, he'll always be a Balétimore Raven in people's mind. As I wrote before: he'll always be a Raven in people's mind, just like Namath always was a Jet, Montana always was a 49'er, Emmit Smith always was a Cowboy, Unitas always was a Baltimore Colt and Favre always is a Packer in people's mind - though none of them finished their carriers with those franchises. And I do believe that Reed doesn't have more than a couple of seasons left. We all wish he would spend them in Baltimore...

bio

[quote name='blindbat' timestamp='1359655917' post='1336747']
[/quote]

With all due respect (and that's a LOT of respect), if Reed has one not-too-professional "habit", it's the tendency of wrong timing of saying things. We can all remember his remarks on Flacoo right before an important game...

bio

Love what Ozzie said about Art.....I too made the decision to stay with THE HUMANS when Art moved the team.....That mayor of cleveland was WAY out of line not backing the stadium plan......So here we are again getting ready to WIN our 2nd Superbowl......Visiting Baltimore many times for games over the years the location and people we met and partied with made us love Baltimore......Its was a GREAT fit then and now.....Art was a GREAT football mind/person and loved the game and the buisness.....LET HIM IN!

Ugh, getting so tired of the media already...Ripped Pants, Banged Heads, Deer Antler Spray, Reed taking flight to the Pats, etc etc....BRING ON SUNDAY, and hurry up!!!!