Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/30: Joe Flacco Wants More Money Than Peyton Manning

146 posts in this topic

We can worry about all of this stuff in a bout a week or two. Lets just finish out this final game first. All I care about right now is a Super Bpwl win. All that other stuff can wait because its not going anywhere.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - No toleration for a name calling slap fight! · Report post

[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359571840' post='1335541']
Your just one of these dudes that gotta comment on everything someone else says because you have nothing of your own to say bruh. Go to sleep and get a life man. I know how ppl like you on here work it's always the same ole thing all the time. Everytime Ive ever seen you on here your always doing the same thing always commenting on someones elses post trying to tell them there wrong as if you know what your talking about. Everything down below how you try to breakdown what someone is saying is just a good example of it man. Your just wrong on so many levels its funny. I can tell you've never even played organized football before. Ive played and started all my yrs in hs and played against many good players here in FL including Tim Tebow (who I sacked by the way. Hell yeah)and won a state championship. Have you? Naw doubt it. You don't give credit to guys making catches or other big plays. Like I said and Ive been saying the whole time Flacco is a great young QB who is playing hella great right now but the play of the other players who are riding high right now aren't getting enough praise when they should. All Joes throws weren't the greatest if you go back and look and it's not easy fo wr to catch those kinda ball either if you actually watch and see all the catches over again you will see what I'm talking about. I like that Joe is forcing it in more because Boldin and Pitta have such great hands he should have been trusting them more this yr in tight space because Quan doesn't get much seperation. But like I said he's no Manning, give him the FTag and let him work for it next yr.
[/quote]

lmao thats not even close to being true. as a matter of fact, this is the first time in probably a couple of months ive even carried out conversation with anyone on this site, you can ask the regulars around here.
You're clearly upset because nothing youre saying makes sense (which is why you switched to personal attack mode). its okay. shouldnt take everything so personally, we just talkin football here. have a nice day sir

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - No toleration for a name calling slap fight! · Report post

riseNC.... first off there are no East Carolinas in the NFL.... we have struggled with and been beaten by the likes of the JAGs, CHARGERS, TITANS, REDSKINS, and some other non-playoff poor defensive teams over the past two seasons. IN fact some of our worst offensive outings in recent histroy was to an winless COLTS team, a horrible JAGS team, etc, a horrible chiefs team etc. (all under flacco's helm)

SO i do not dis-credit the BILLS and DOLPHINS first off...
2ndly the JETS have been one of the bette defenses in the NFL they just have no offensive support and the PATS play them 2 x every year. REX knows defense.

FINALLY the PATS stil beat up on the Sqeelers two years ago, the Texans this season, the Broncos last season, the seahawks...

So when I said calling Braday over rated is ridiculous.... I hope it becomes more obvious...

nearly 10,000 yards passing close to 80 TD's vs only 20 INT's over the past two seasons...a trip to the super bowl and the AFC championship game beating us (who have a pretty good Def) that is not over rated... that is elite!

I love Joe and think that he is a top notch QB but he is not BRADY yet
and to suggest that Joe deserves as much or more then BRADY is just being blinded by your fandom....

WE hope to kee Joe a long time and I think he can win multiple championships for us.... but I am realistic enough to say he is not BRADY's equivilent yet.

still top notch and still can beat any team out there but not yet ready to callhim one of the all time greats. *Brady clearly is that*

[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359568709' post='1335458']
Kyle Boller was just horrible so no arguement that Joe is much better then him and an old McNair. We won a SB with Dilfer so whats your point man. This D doesn't get enough credit. How man int have we had in the playoffs sense Joe has been on this team. It's a ridiclous number. Even with how good Joe played Corey Graham and that D won that game against Manning remember that. Joe is a great young qb but Manning money now is crazy. Just give the right guys that have played well in the playoffs this yr credit. Joe has played lights out and the best stat about him is he doesn't turn the ball over in the air often, but this D has played great and should be talked about more for what they have done because last time I rememberd it's the D that plays against the O not the other way around. Joe didn't outplay Manning our D did.
[/quote]

Yes the D played well against Manning, but Flacco actually outplayed Manning that game - let's not forget we spotted them 14 points and put the game on Joe and he matched points, made critical throws when needed and was a big part of us even getting to OT for the win. If you really want to put the win on the final interception that's ludicrious cause the defense actually gave up 3 TD's to Manning. That game was technically a TEAM win, Joe and the offense did their job and in the end the Defense did theirs.

Joe has been far better than all three of those qbs this post season. He is actually having one of the best postseasons of any qb in the history of the league. The Dilfer reference was completely ridiculous. Dilfer basically had to make 1 or 2 plays a game and not turn the ball over. Do you really think Dilfer would have put up 35 points in regulation against the 2nd ranked defense in the league? Or connected on all the deep balls against the Colts? Or put up 21 points in about 10 minutes to put the Patriots away? I know you have to look at the total body of work as well, so let's do that.

None of the three you mentioned have won at least one playoff game in the past 5 years. Joe has. He has more playoff wins than Brady and Manning combined since he's been in the league. Yes, he had a good defense, but he also had Cam Cameron, so that evens it out. Brees threw for less than 3,600 yds every year he was with Cam. Flacco had more than that this year, despite sitting out most of the last game. Brady has played well in 2 of his last 8 playoff games, and usually crumbles against good defenses, but he deserves more money than Flacco? Manning is usually not great in the playoffs, and Brees didn't make the playoffs this year. Not only did Flacco lead his team to the Super Bowl this year, but he made the plays to put his team in the Super Bowl last year as well, so this year is no fluke. Flacco has never missed a start, and durability is extremely important when it comes to giving someone a huge contract. He has showed as much resiliency and ability to step up in big games as any qb I've ever seen. With Cam gone, I expect him to continue his greatness, and I think he deserves as big a contract as anyone.

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1359572904' post='1335560']
riseNC.... first off there are no East Carolinas in the NFL....
[/quote]
i dont even know what this means.

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1359572904' post='1335560']
we have struggled with and been beaten by the likes of the JAGs, CHARGERS, TITANS, REDSKINS, and some other non-playoff poor defensive teams over the past two seasons. IN fact some of our worst offensive outings in recent histroy was to an winless COLTS team, a horrible JAGS team, etc, a horrible chiefs team etc. (all under flacco's helm)

SO i do not dis-credit the BILLS and DOLPHINS first off...
2ndly the JETS have been one of the bette defenses in the NFL they just have no offensive support and the PATS play them 2 x every year. REX knows defense.

FINALLY the PATS stil beat up on the Sqeelers two years ago, the Texans this season, the Broncos last season, the seahawks...

So when I said calling Braday over rated is ridiculous.... I hope it becomes more obvious...

nearly 10,000 yards passing close to 80 TD's vs only 20 INT's over the past two seasons...a trip to the super bowl and the AFC championship game beating us (who have a pretty good Def) that is not over rated... that is elite!

I love Joe and think that he is a top notch QB but he is not BRADY yet
and to suggest that Joe deserves as much or more then BRADY is just being blinded by your fandom....

WE hope to kee Joe a long time and I think he can win multiple championships for us.... but I am realistic enough to say he is not BRADY's equivilent yet.

still top notch and still can beat any team out there but not yet ready to callhim one of the all time greats. *Brady clearly is that*
[/quote]

Im not discrediting anybody. yeah an NFL squad is an NFL squad, i get that. But to act all parts of every squad are on equal playing field with every other squad is naive, you're not going to tell me you believe the Bills have fielded a defense equivalent to Denver's or San Diego's or San Francisco's, for instance, that's simply not true.
Disparities in talent levels and abilities are real in the NFL.
Our offense until recently has never been that great, so it makes sense for us to struggle against such teams.

The Patriots have more than enough offensive firepower to go toe to toe with any high powered Defense, there are no excuses for them. Brady is not performing up to par against the better defenses in the league as of late, plain and simple. He was great, he's not so much anymore.

Flacco and gummy bears?! What a yummy combo haha! Go Ravens, lets get ready for Sunday!

I like Joe's enthusiasm and all but that's a lot of money. What happens if a freak accident causes him to never play football again. We've just spent all that money? I'd give him about 85 or 90 million.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but it has been well documented on the board that when the RAVENS lose it's Joe's fault...As my previous post said, this post season has been a total TEAM effort, offense doing their job, defense doing their job and thankfully special teams did theirs against NE. If all three sides of the ball do their jobs on Sunday they can't be beat. If one side is weak it will be a long game...

I think America, at least Ravens nation anyway, is tired of Peter King. SI is starting to look like the Globe or National Enquirer. So bitter Mr. King? let it go man.

Currently, everyone I know has agreed not to buy any more SI magazines after the "Antler whatever spray" bull article. Now King disrespecting Ray, mmmm they are done!

GO RAY, GO RAVENS!

GO RAVENS!

@Sami, I completely agree with you, especially on Joe's contract. All this idiotic reported stuff, "what Joe expects" is pure garbage right now. Has anyone actually heard him say what he expects in the way of a new contract?! All I've heard from him is he is not worrying over it and the deal will get worked out AFTER the season, which is not over with yet. All these headlines are making him look really selfish, and bad!! Just getting really sick of these purported headline making articles!

[quote name='ravenwildman' timestamp='1359574304' post='1335590']

Currently, everyone I know has agreed not to buy any more SI magazines after the "Antler whatever spray" BS article. Now King disrespecting Ray, mmmm they are done!

GO RAY, GO RAVENS!

GO RAVENS!
[/quote]

Unfortunately not everything in the deer antler spray report is BS - Vijay Singh has admitted to his use. Now that no way implicates that Ray has but it does show that some of the report does have merit...

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1359571042' post='1335526']
ok three things and they all fall under the heading of "Who's that idiot and why do we care?"
Starting with Jason La Canfora. Joe isnt talking about his contract and neither is his agent so how would Canfora know. He doesnt! He's just speculating.
Second is Mitch Ross. He's just some bottom feeder trying to get some of Rays "media scraps" to help his career.
Third is another maggot named Dave Dameshek. Like Flacco or anyone would remember this toads proclamation about the Ravens not getting to the Superbowl. Flacco was like "who are you?" Then this guy goes after Flacco's dad.
All three are insignifcant bugs and should think about new careers.
[/quote]

+1 on all accounts. Especially about Dameshek, i really did ask who that was when i read that. i had never heard of him or this claim he made. Maybe it was in an LFW i missed or something

@FLBoyRaven: There's a difference from trashing Flacco and saying he doesn't deserve as high of cash as Brees and Brady. You have been trashing him this whole time. He is a good quarterback. He wins. That's what quarterbacks do. Flacco leads us back against good teams all the time. Yes he isn't always the best. But that's when you set up the play action with one of the best running backs in the NFL with you and run it with him and it sets up more space between receivers and defensive backs. Flacco is off and on during the regular season but overall he is a great quarterback. I don't think he deserves 20 million personally. Maybe 18. But again it depends on how much the Ravens want him. They already said he is staying and they will resign him. He is good but I'm not sure if he is up at 20 million quite yet.

Comparing Flacco's money to Manning's is anything but fair. First of all, Manning is way past his prime, while Flacco is entering it. Second, nobody really knew how well Peyton's neck will hold up. The risk that he proves to be unable to play - or at least nowhere near the level he was known for - was vastly there. these 2 facts made him cheaper than what he ended up putting on the table for the Broncos. So, in retrospective, Denver made a good deal wioth Masnning - but the deal had to be done in advance, not in retrospect.

Flacco, however, carries none of these risks. His physically great, he has at least 6-8 great years ahead... These things count heavily. He's proven that the franchise can count on him both physically (not one missed game in 5 seasons), both performance-wise, when it really matters. For disagree with me if you want, but I'll take a QB who's not the best during the regular season (but good enough to get the team to the playoffs), and then starts shining in the palyoffs any day over a QB who is a god in the regular season but starts to choke up in the playoffs...

bio

Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com don't know squat about any Ozzie/Joe E-Lite contract negotiations! Don't feed into it!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What's up with #52 and Sports Illustrated?

Did he stand them up for a date? Did he have his way with them then not call them back? Not leave $20 on the dresser?

They seem like spurned lovers!

Listen I love Joe...and like I said before ! I beleive that we can (and will) win multiple championshisps with him.

I think Joe has some very tanigble strengthes.
1. He has the best deep ball in football
2. He has stayed healthy
3. He is a proven winner *post season record is as good as any*
4. He is reliable. (you know what you get with Joe)
5. Joe will compete... he is not someone who just folds under pressure

What he is not.
1. He does not manage the pocket well and a part of his game that still needs work
2. He hasnt won a super bowl yet... and like it or not QB's are measure by this
in fact the knock on JOe so far is that he cant win the big game.
3. Joe struggles with conditions are not perfect. this is not the same as managing the pocket... when given time Joe is as good as anyone... when not joe has been avg
4. Joe has been incnsistent throughout his carreer. (this post season aside) he will throw for 400 yards one game and 150 the next. this has been one of Joes biggest criticisms
5. Joe is not the leader that MANNING or BRADY or BREES or RODGERS are.... he is more the quiet type who just plays...

I wll be the first to admit that a couple of Joe's weaknesses can be attributed to CAM more then Joe. (and I do beleive we see that he has the ability to overcome some of this stuff since CALDWELL took over)

But I am still not ready to call him BRADY or PEYTON. ARE we kidding
as far as good defenses go (joe has had his worst carreer games vs the Sqeelers over his carreer) Joe has not exactly lit it up vs top notch defenses either.

THe knock on Brady is that plays the Bills and Dolphins 2x per season....Joe plays the BRWONS and BUNGOLES as well.... Fact is Brday lights it up consistently, as does Peyton... Joe (until this post season) has not! We can argue if that was his fault or CAMS or whatever but he has not!

Joe is maybe the top QB under 30 but clearly not the top QB....many of you who are disputing this are the same people who were calling for Tyrod to start earlier in the season!

and as far as the PATRIOTS being built for Offense... lets be real. we have a better RB... we have a Better WR corps... I would take TORREY, BOLDIN, JACOB, RICE and PITTA everyday of the week over WELKER, ELDELMAN, and Brandon TATE, GRONK, HERNANDEZ

Gronk and Welker are great but as an entire unit we have more weapons!
Fact is Joe can close the gap on the Brady, Brees, ROdgers and Mannings by winning this super bowl but its just that (close the gap)

That is in performance and pay !

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - Not tolerating a slap fight! · Report post

[quote name='steelcityraven' timestamp='1359576471' post='1335658']
THe knock on Brady is that plays the Bills and Dolphins 2x per season....Joe plays the BRWONS and BUNGOLES as well.... Fact is Brday lights it up consistently, as does Peyton... Joe (until this post season) has not! We can argue if that was his fault or CAMS or whatever but he has not!

Joe is maybe the top QB under 30 but clearly not the top QB....many of you who are disputing this are the same people who were calling for Tyrod to start earlier in the season!

and as far as the PATRIOTS being built for Offense... lets be real. we have a better RB... we have a Better WR corps... I would take TORREY, BOLDIN, JACOB, RICE and PITTA everyday of the week over WELKER, ELDELMAN, and Brandon TATE, GRONK, HERNANDEZ

Gronk and Welker are great but as an entire unit we have more weapons!
Fact is Joe can close the gap on the Brady, Brees, ROdgers and Mannings by winning this super bowl but its just that (close the gap)

That is in performance and pay !
[/quote]

no...the knock on Brady is that he cant beat a good defense.
Joe has beat everybody Brady lost to in the past 2 years except Seattle, and in the case of the Steelers he's beat em 3 times both in and out of their stadium.

and we do not have a better WR corps than NE. They definitely win in the TE department (Pitta's earned his respect, but Dickson isnt consistent or involved enough to be the compliment to him that Hernandez is to Gronk), and we have better OUTSIDE receivers, but NE has the better group as a whole, we still dont have a good consistent slot guy.
And i think you mean Brandon Lloyd, Brandon Tate is a Bengal.
But who's group is better is irrelevant, the point stands that Brady has enough to beat a good defense and just isnt doing it.

I don't believe this crap. Joe hasn't mentioned ANY numbers since these talks began; so why would he now?!?! And I find it hard to believe that Flacco is looking for that amount; because that's just crazy cash!!! NOBODY deserves that.

I'm thankful for what Joe has done this post season; and he has pretty much erased my doubts. But there is now way he's worth that amount of jack. If he actually does expect that kind of money, I will be very disappointed.

Regardless...let's focus on Sunday, and not what Jason LaCanfora says!

GO RAVENS!!!

stupid rumors if you ask me. Flacco is a team guy and would never let his contract get in the way especially during the big game and Lewis's last ride etc. If anyone is talking money, it would be the other joe. hopefully Jason isn't getting confused LOL

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - Not tolerating a slap fight! · Report post

Brady beat as many good defenses over the past two seasons as Joe and has lost to as many. and TBH I think very few of those game can be placed BRADY.... Brady (outside of the Ravens) rarely has a bad game and most of them are more due to his team letting him down then him playing poorly (dropped passes, fumbles, poor def) this has been the Pats demise not Tom BRADY...

Arguing that Joe is better then Brady lately (not just this post season) is just silly. You are clearly in the minority...

Post that on any board other then RAVENS.com and you will be laughed at... IF both Joe, Brees, Brady, Rodgers and Peyton were to all test the market this year. Nobody would cry bc they were stuck with Joe but he would surely be the last one picked!

Like I said Joe is the best QB under 30 but is clearly not the best QB yet. He should not expect to be paid like it!

Wnning the super bowl will give him a ton more credibility however~!

I have as much respect for La Canfora as a fan can have for a media guy he's normally pretty accurate but with all do respect how the heck does he know what's going on with the contract I'm pretty sure the only guys that actually know are Oz Joe his agent pat and a few others from the FO

I just hope we can get Joe signed to a reasonable contract that he deserves and still be able to keep guys like Kruger and Ellerbe. I just continue to hope that Ed gets signed and stays in Baltimore and doesnt have to play for another team next year!

Why is it so hard to understand that LaCanfora might know these things? Flacco isn't the one doing the talking, as players rarely do. That's why agents are higher.

There's about a dozen ways he could find out this information. Don't you think the agents office would be more than happy to float out anonymous numbers to the media? It only helps Flacco's chances, not hurts them.

Maybe LaCanfora knows a guy in the agents office with knowledge of the negotiations. Maybe LaCanfora got an anonymous quote from a player or coach who knows about the negotiations.

It's naive to think that there's 3 people on the planet that have been discussing Flacco's contracts. I bet there's at least 50 people with direct knowledge of the situation.

steelcityraven:

No RESPECTABLE franchise would choose Peyton Manning over Joe Flacco as their QB if they were both FAs. It's something the Jets would do... mortgage the next decade for about a 2 year window to win a SB.

Five years ago, I'd have agreed with you. But age and injury concerns would easily make a team choose Flacco. They will get an above average QB for the next decade.

rmcjacket23.... I disagree but understand where you are coming from... Peyton looked great this season with not side effects from his health... and suggests he wants to play for 5-7 more seasons????

Either way though I think your comment abot Joe being a better than avg QB is telling and makes the same argument that I was making. Wether a team is taking Peyton bc of age or not