Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/30: Joe Flacco Wants More Money Than Peyton Manning

146 posts in this topic

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1359571042' post='1335526']
ok three things and they all fall under the heading of "Who's that idiot and why do we care?"
Starting with Jason La Canfora. Joe isnt talking about his contract and neither is his agent so how would Canfora know. He doesnt! He's just speculating.
Second is Mitch Ross. He's just some bottom feeder trying to get some of Rays "media scraps" to help his career.
Third is another maggot named Dave Dameshek. Like Flacco or anyone would remember this toads proclamation about the Ravens not getting to the Superbowl. Flacco was like "who are you?" Then this guy goes after Flacco's dad.
All three are insignifcant bugs and should think about new careers.
[/quote]

+1 on all accounts. Especially about Dameshek, i really did ask who that was when i read that. i had never heard of him or this claim he made. Maybe it was in an LFW i missed or something

@FLBoyRaven: There's a difference from trashing Flacco and saying he doesn't deserve as high of cash as Brees and Brady. You have been trashing him this whole time. He is a good quarterback. He wins. That's what quarterbacks do. Flacco leads us back against good teams all the time. Yes he isn't always the best. But that's when you set up the play action with one of the best running backs in the NFL with you and run it with him and it sets up more space between receivers and defensive backs. Flacco is off and on during the regular season but overall he is a great quarterback. I don't think he deserves 20 million personally. Maybe 18. But again it depends on how much the Ravens want him. They already said he is staying and they will resign him. He is good but I'm not sure if he is up at 20 million quite yet.

Comparing Flacco's money to Manning's is anything but fair. First of all, Manning is way past his prime, while Flacco is entering it. Second, nobody really knew how well Peyton's neck will hold up. The risk that he proves to be unable to play - or at least nowhere near the level he was known for - was vastly there. these 2 facts made him cheaper than what he ended up putting on the table for the Broncos. So, in retrospective, Denver made a good deal wioth Masnning - but the deal had to be done in advance, not in retrospect.

Flacco, however, carries none of these risks. His physically great, he has at least 6-8 great years ahead... These things count heavily. He's proven that the franchise can count on him both physically (not one missed game in 5 seasons), both performance-wise, when it really matters. For disagree with me if you want, but I'll take a QB who's not the best during the regular season (but good enough to get the team to the playoffs), and then starts shining in the palyoffs any day over a QB who is a god in the regular season but starts to choke up in the playoffs...

bio

Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com don't know squat about any Ozzie/Joe E-Lite contract negotiations! Don't feed into it!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What's up with #52 and Sports Illustrated?

Did he stand them up for a date? Did he have his way with them then not call them back? Not leave $20 on the dresser?

They seem like spurned lovers!

Listen I love Joe...and like I said before ! I beleive that we can (and will) win multiple championshisps with him.

I think Joe has some very tanigble strengthes.
1. He has the best deep ball in football
2. He has stayed healthy
3. He is a proven winner *post season record is as good as any*
4. He is reliable. (you know what you get with Joe)
5. Joe will compete... he is not someone who just folds under pressure

What he is not.
1. He does not manage the pocket well and a part of his game that still needs work
2. He hasnt won a super bowl yet... and like it or not QB's are measure by this
in fact the knock on JOe so far is that he cant win the big game.
3. Joe struggles with conditions are not perfect. this is not the same as managing the pocket... when given time Joe is as good as anyone... when not joe has been avg
4. Joe has been incnsistent throughout his carreer. (this post season aside) he will throw for 400 yards one game and 150 the next. this has been one of Joes biggest criticisms
5. Joe is not the leader that MANNING or BRADY or BREES or RODGERS are.... he is more the quiet type who just plays...

I wll be the first to admit that a couple of Joe's weaknesses can be attributed to CAM more then Joe. (and I do beleive we see that he has the ability to overcome some of this stuff since CALDWELL took over)

But I am still not ready to call him BRADY or PEYTON. ARE we kidding
as far as good defenses go (joe has had his worst carreer games vs the Sqeelers over his carreer) Joe has not exactly lit it up vs top notch defenses either.

THe knock on Brady is that plays the Bills and Dolphins 2x per season....Joe plays the BRWONS and BUNGOLES as well.... Fact is Brday lights it up consistently, as does Peyton... Joe (until this post season) has not! We can argue if that was his fault or CAMS or whatever but he has not!

Joe is maybe the top QB under 30 but clearly not the top QB....many of you who are disputing this are the same people who were calling for Tyrod to start earlier in the season!

and as far as the PATRIOTS being built for Offense... lets be real. we have a better RB... we have a Better WR corps... I would take TORREY, BOLDIN, JACOB, RICE and PITTA everyday of the week over WELKER, ELDELMAN, and Brandon TATE, GRONK, HERNANDEZ

Gronk and Welker are great but as an entire unit we have more weapons!
Fact is Joe can close the gap on the Brady, Brees, ROdgers and Mannings by winning this super bowl but its just that (close the gap)

That is in performance and pay !

I don't believe this crap. Joe hasn't mentioned ANY numbers since these talks began; so why would he now?!?! And I find it hard to believe that Flacco is looking for that amount; because that's just crazy cash!!! NOBODY deserves that.

I'm thankful for what Joe has done this post season; and he has pretty much erased my doubts. But there is now way he's worth that amount of jack. If he actually does expect that kind of money, I will be very disappointed.

Regardless...let's focus on Sunday, and not what Jason LaCanfora says!

GO RAVENS!!!

stupid rumors if you ask me. Flacco is a team guy and would never let his contract get in the way especially during the big game and Lewis's last ride etc. If anyone is talking money, it would be the other joe. hopefully Jason isn't getting confused LOL

I have as much respect for La Canfora as a fan can have for a media guy he's normally pretty accurate but with all do respect how the heck does he know what's going on with the contract I'm pretty sure the only guys that actually know are Oz Joe his agent pat and a few others from the FO

I just hope we can get Joe signed to a reasonable contract that he deserves and still be able to keep guys like Kruger and Ellerbe. I just continue to hope that Ed gets signed and stays in Baltimore and doesnt have to play for another team next year!

Why is it so hard to understand that LaCanfora might know these things? Flacco isn't the one doing the talking, as players rarely do. That's why agents are higher.

There's about a dozen ways he could find out this information. Don't you think the agents office would be more than happy to float out anonymous numbers to the media? It only helps Flacco's chances, not hurts them.

Maybe LaCanfora knows a guy in the agents office with knowledge of the negotiations. Maybe LaCanfora got an anonymous quote from a player or coach who knows about the negotiations.

It's naive to think that there's 3 people on the planet that have been discussing Flacco's contracts. I bet there's at least 50 people with direct knowledge of the situation.

[quote name='ravensykoh' timestamp='1359578825' post='1335735']
I just hope we can get Joe signed to a reasonable contract that he deserves and still be able to keep guys like Kruger and Ellerbe. I just continue to hope that Ed gets signed and stays in Baltimore and doesnt have to play for another team next year!
[/quote]

Ed Reed in a non Ravens uniform doesnt even make sense to me, but if he does go, i just need him to not be a Patriot. I could be happy enough with that.

Is it me, or has this been the longest two week period in the history of man? The quantity of irritating and irrelevant media reports has now reached critical mass....

It's like dying of thirst in the desert....how in the heck does football wind up getting so lost in this national garbage dump?

Media week, Sports Illustrated, clowns like Skip Bayless, even the thing they call a "halftime show" that we'll all be subjected to.....

Joe Flacco would have a good word to describe it all, but I'm afraid I'd be burned at the stake if I invoked it....

Please get me to kickoff!!!!!

GO RAVENS!...............

This two week period before the SB has my blood pressure see sawing! One day Ray is a hero, the next moment he has baseless allegations thrown at him with an intent to malign! One minute I am so happy that the Ravens are confident, but the next minute I am nervous because the Niners are too!

This needs to be over with ASAP. I wnat Sunday to be here and the Ravens winning the SB! Otherwise, we are going to have too many heart patients in hospitals this week!

I don't care how much the Ravens pay Flacco as long as the rest of the team is able to be signed too! The bottom line for me is if Flacco expects more than what he truly deserves, then we need to just franchise him this year and next. Sign him the year after to a lucrative deal or a deal commensurate over his production the next couple of years.

Then he will be a 7 yr QB with a good history of performances. He will either have done better or worse than what he's done this year so far. By then we will also have Ryan's contract to look at and compare.... right now, it doesn't look good for the Ravens to give him a long term contract, especially given his expectations.

However, the flip side of this is that if we franchise tag him, we won't be able to use it on Reed and he will hit the open market. Once Ed Reed hits the open market, it will be difficult to keep him.... think about all of this Joe and please be reasonable!

if this team wants to continue to make the playoffs than flacco must understand he cannot hog up most of the salary cap or else you will lose kruger, ellerbe, williams, oher etc.. etc.. go ravens!!

I think we are taking this too seriously...Ray Rice asked for a contract near Adrian Peterson's 100 million dollars right? Did Ray Rice get anywhere near that? No, Flacco will probably be convinced to take less money. Probably around 17 million a year. Ozzie already said that Joe's contract won't be affected by the Super Bowl. He already said they were near getting the extension, secondly who claimed this? Every contract talks with Joe has been "I don't care" and "I just want to win the Super Bowl". Meh I'm not worried about it, the faster we sign him the easier it is to sigh others.

ellicottraven......a player can only be franchised once and the franchise tag will cost the ravens nearly 15 mil, over 16 mil if they double franchise him. Not far from the 17 mil they'll pay him anyway. The Greek.......would you take less than you're worth at your job?

If J5 gets 20 million, he will be on a losing team for the length of his contract. He'll be like Larry Fitzgerald, sitting and counting his money while other teams are winning Superbowls. How does that grab ya!

i have to dissagree the only problem i have with flacco is the way he crumbles under pressure and thats it and its just not Flaccos fault their has been a lot of dropped balls that should have been cought

I can understand Dannell Elerbe's feeling about Cortisone shots. I got a couple in my heel a couple years back and after the first one I wanted to cut my foot off at the hip it was sooo painful. The next couple we a lot less painful but that first one is memorable.

i heard Reed is considering being a Patriot next year ,i have a issue with that all Baltimore has done for him and the Fans hes headed to the enemy for more $$$ im sorry ,but Ne will not offer him a sure coaching job ,he will just become a number in NE and have to play 2nd fiddle to tom baby ,Try doing endorsements or something ,all the years you have played i have not seen you do anything of the sort,,as for flacco lol Peyton Manning Money you serious ,Peyton has good year after good year with average WRS Flacco get that Money there wont be a Boldin a Smith ,why break the bank now to have 7-9 years when you can give the team a Discount thats fair so we can Build ,im sorry ,But Players Ego's are way to High now a days ,there will never be another player like Ray Lewis Period!!!

i am sick of ray lewis, actually just hearing people tell me they hate him and why.

never liked dameshek, but that video made me like him a little bit more.

flacco...haribo??? gummi bears? what the heck?

We can win this superbowl and then the stupid talk about the 49ers going to win this thing will go away.

ellicottraven:

The problem with the franchise tag is it's pretty much the most prohibitive thing we could do towards the salary cap for Flacco. That's basically $14-15 million straight to the cap for him.

While the average annual salary on his long-term deal would be more than that, looking at the actual number is highly irrelevant in the NFL. The only thing that really matters is the guaranteed money, which in Flacco's case will probably be substantial also (at least in the $40-50 million range).

Keep in mind that teams often structure contracts to be more costly on the back end (years 5-6 of his deal or later) and they often include a hefty signing bonus up front that is pro rated against the salary cap over the life of the contract.

For example... Ray Rice's contract. 5 years, 35 million, 24 million guaranteed. He received 15 million of that as a signing bonus on the day he signed the deal. His actual 2012 salary was 2 million. His salary cap hit was 5 million, which is less than the 7 million in average salary.

In reality, signing Flacco to a long-term deal is actually financially better (at least in the first 2-3 years) for the Ravens than franchise tagging him.

Why hold out for Manning money? Peyton has only one ring and Eli two. Get Brady money guareenteed up front. Win that first ring Sunday and just be Joe average like you have been. The NFL will beat a path to your door. GO JOE!!

I don't know who Peter King is but I'm tired of him for sure. Peter King?/ Related to Don King?

I wish Joe's agent would just lay low and keep his yapp shut until after we have the SB47 Lombardi back in Baltimore