100 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Is America tiring of Ray Lewis? Ross defends Lewis. Dave Dameshek apologizes to Flacco.

View the full article

#2 Waka Flocka Flacco

Waka Flocka Flacco

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Flacco getting a Peyton like $100m, $20m avg salary, is similar to Ray Rice asking for a Peterson $100m contract. Its not going to happen. During negotiations you gotta shoot for the moon. Thankfully we have the best FO and a deal will get done that the Ravens & Flacco will be happy with. Go Ravens win the SB!

#3 DMAC

DMAC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

If Flacco gets 20 million then are team will never be complete. When you have a player making that much money then other areas of your team will suffer. Hope he gets a fair deal but if he breaks the bank the I'm sorry but I'll lose some respect for him. What's better 100 million dollar contract and not competing for the SB every year or a lesser contract and competing for a SB every year.

#4 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'll worry about Joe's contract when we are in the offseason.

As for the rest of the contents of this article - I'm done. I've grown weary of the media turning our elation into trepidation. I'll not be visiting any more sports sites, or tuning in to any more radio shows, or watching Sports Center/NFL Network. The next thing I'll see of all of this is 6 PM on Sunday when I settle in front of the TV.

This moment belongs to us ... our team and our fans ... and not to the jackals. Here's to tuning out the noise, watching the beauty of extreme competition and to feel the joy of watching our guys holding the Lombardi. Peace, out.

GO RAVENS!!!!

#5 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Flacco is a G, he know where the money at. Nike, Gatorade, Under Armor...nah I'll get to you in a minute...but HARIBO?! GIMME DAT GUMMY BEAR CONTRACT! lol

Those are the greatest gummy bears in history though

#6 BallHawker

BallHawker

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Eli Manning type contract is the highest Oz will go. No way Flacco gets a $20mil/year deal. Anyway.. only 4 days until Sunday!

#7 RisingandConquering

RisingandConquering

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Love the picture of Joe with the gummy bears.

#8 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,234 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Flacco is now the spokesman for my favorite candy?!?!?!

Everything is going according to the master plan.

#9 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oz will get it squared away no doubt. Just like he said - 'I did the Suggs deal'...'I did the Ngata deal'...'I did the Ray Rice deal'...etc etc. He will have a fair deal.

But just for the record, if Joe Flacco wins big on Sunday, he will have just as many playoff wins as Peyton.

My second point for the record, he already has more playoff wins than all other QBs not named Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. Why all the sudden the conversation is about regular season QB comparisons to playoff QB comparisons...or the lack there of on that component is beyond me.

Finally, for all those who will make the uneducated argument of 'Well he's been leaning on the defense all these years...' I ask you
  • What happened in 2001 - 2007?
  • Who were the QBs in 2001 - 2007?
  • Was there a Super Bowl defense in 2001 - 2007?
  • How many playoff appearances did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
  • How many playoff wins did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
  • Is it then safe to assume that with Air McNair and Boller under center back then, this QB has taken us to new heights?
I know it's a team effort but I'm just saying. If the argument is he leaned on the defense, why then didn't Boller and McNair get us there?

Edited by easternshore97, 30 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#10 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Peyton Manning's contract is not relevant to the discussion of how much Flacco deserves.

Recall that when Peyton signed his 18 million per year contract, he was a 36 year old coming off of a neck injury, and he hadn't played in a year, and nobody really knew how good he would be and if he would be durable enough to play a whole season. Frankly, he was a bit of a gamble.

In his previous season of play prior to that contract, 2010, he had his worst season since 2002. Most INTs since 2002, lowerst passer rating since 2002, worst regular season record since 2002, first time under 7 yards per attempt since his rookie season, one and done in the play-offs (losing at home in the Wild Card round for the first time in his career).

There were a lot of reasons he shouldn't have gotten MVP/GOAT/Highest-Paid-QB-In-The-League type money in that contract, and yet he still commanded one of the largest contracts, but frankly the contract he got in that scenario SHOULDN'T have been as high as the contract Flacco gets in THIS scenario.

#11 FLBoyRaven

FLBoyRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Look how long it took for Manning to get the kinda money he got. Joe your a good young player but the team comes first, you most definitely didn't do it all yourself, it's a team sport and there were rookies this yr that actually played better statisticly. Far too many on and off games for a 5th yr player. Wr have really shined here in the playoffs so give them alot of credit, Boldin has been lights out and might just have the best hands I've seen. o-line has played very well, should have been the starting line-up throughout the yr but Cam is a nitwit with now vision to utilize players talent. So idk I'm just saying he can't in his right mind really honestly believe he should be paid top 5 qb money. That would just be a travisty and horrible mistake on our part in the long run.

#12 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

If Flacco gets 20 million then are team will never be complete. When you have a player making that much money then other areas of your team will suffer. Hope he gets a fair deal but if he breaks the bank the I'm sorry but I'll lose some respect for him. What's better 100 million dollar contract and not competing for the SB every year or a lesser contract and competing for a SB every year.

LMAO, first of all...until a few weeks ago, you could count the number of people who had respect for Joe Flacco on one hand. and all but maybe 3 people on this site (including myself) "lose respect" for basically anybody that makes more than $8 an hour, so somehow...i dont think Flacco will be bothered.

And the Broncos look pretty complete to me.

Edited by riseNConquer81, 30 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

Statute of limitations on all convos is one day. and its never personal, always football.

#13 StrongSideRavens

StrongSideRavens

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dameshek is a clown haha.

#14 FLBoyRaven

FLBoyRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Callahan09: Did you REALLY just try to compare Flacco to Manning??? Please be joking man. Manning earned his money. Multiple 4,000 py seasons, MVP awards, Many seasons with OVER 25 pass td, A SB victory. There is no camparison man. Joe wasn't in the top 10 in any catigory I believe besides maybe yrds per comp. Idk I'm just a fond believer in EARNING things. If we win the SB like I know we will it won't be just because Joe I can guarantee you that. D will win this game.

#15 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Look how long it took for Manning to get the kinda money he got. Joe your a good young player but the team comes first, you most definitely didn't do it all yourself, it's a team sport and there were rookies this yr that actually played better statisticly. Far too many on and off games for a 5th yr player. Wr have really shined here in the playoffs so give them alot of credit, Boldin has been lights out and might just have the best hands I've seen. o-line has played very well, should have been the starting line-up throughout the yr but Cam is a nitwit with now vision to utilize players talent. So idk I'm just saying he can't in his right mind really honestly believe he should be paid top 5 qb money. That would just be a travisty and horrible mistake on our part in the long run.

This is dumb. you basically just said Joe shouldnt get paid because he's on a football team.
Yo havent said anything here that isnt true of any other QB playing at a high level.
ALL QBs need people who can catch, ALL QBs need a line to protect them, ALL QBs need a creative OC.

i invite you my friend, to the Gisele Bundchen school of football
http://youtu.be/67oHwqzR4yM?t=16s

Edited by riseNConquer81, 30 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Statute of limitations on all convos is one day. and its never personal, always football.

#16 Flockster

Flockster

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Joe's right up there. Lets give him the chance to finish first.

#17 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Callahan09: Did you REALLY just try to compare Flacco to Manning??? Please be joking man. Manning earned his money. Multiple 4,000 py seasons, MVP awards, Many seasons with OVER 25 pass td, A SB victory. There is no camparison man. Joe wasn't in the top 10 in any catigory I believe besides maybe yrds per comp. Idk I'm just a fond believer in EARNING things. If we win the SB like I know we will it won't be just because Joe I can guarantee you that. D will win this game.

I see that you completely failed to comprehend the meaning behind my comment. I was talking about how Peyton's contract didn't exactly come at a time when he was peaking and at the prime of his career. It didn't come after a good season, or a demonstration of improvement. It came after a season he couldn't even play due to a nearly career-ending injury, and following the last season he did play being his worst in the past 9 years. It was a gamble of a contract and didn't represent the kind of contract he would have gotten had he been on the open market in, say, 2007. You can look at his career accolades all you want, I'm not saying Peyton's career hasn't been better than Joe's, I'm just saying that Peyton's contract wasn't as high as it would have been had those other factors not been involved. You can't just say, well, Peyton was amazing a few years ago... you have to consider what he will do DURING THE CONTACT HE IS ABOUT TO SIGN. And recent history did not lend one to believing that he would be playing his best football during this current contract.

#18 SizzleAlex

SizzleAlex

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I hope the ravens re-sign cary williams , ed reed and paul kruger

cary williams and paul kruger on 4-5 year deals
ed reed on a 1-2 year deal because we cant afford to lose ed reed and ray lewis in the same year

#19 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Oz will get it squared away no doubt. Just like he said - 'I did the Suggs deal'...'I did the Ngata deal'...'I did the Ray Rice deal'...etc etc. He will have a fair deal.

But just for the record, if Joe Flacco wins big on Sunday, he will have just as many playoff wins as Peyton.

My second point for the record, he already has more playoff wins than all other QBs not named Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. Why all the sudden the conversation is about regular season QB comparisons to playoff QB comparisons...or the lack there of on that component is beyond me.

Finally, for all those who will make the uneducated argument of 'Well he's been leaning on the defense all these years...' I ask you

• What happened in 2001 - 2007?
  • Who were the QBs in 2001 - 2007?
  • Was there a Super Bowl defense in 2001 - 2007?
  • How many playoff appearances did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
  • How many playoff wins did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
  • Is it then safe to assume that with Air McNair and Boller under center back then, this QB has taken us to new heights?
I know it's a team effort but I'm just saying. If the argument is he leaned on the defense, why then didn't Boller and McNair get us there?

I get what you're saying, and I did a little comparison of some key factors...

Between 2001-2007, the Ravens allowed 290.6 yards per game, and had 1.99 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 1.009 interceptions per game.

Between 2008-2012, the Ravens allowed 304.1 yards per game, and had 1.80 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 0.725 interceptions per game.

So we were giving up about the same number of points per game, and fewer yards per game, while at the same time they going onto the field more because our QBs were turning the ball over a lot more, and our QBs were putting up fewer TDs despite getting the ball more as a result of takeaways.

Flacco has put the defense back on the field due to interceptions at a much lower rate, he has benefited from fewer takeaways getting him back on the field, and his defense lets the opposing team eat up clock and churn out more yards... and yet has had a lot more success, both in his personal numbers, and in terms of leading our team to wins. I'd say that speaks volumes.

#20 RaRaRavens

RaRaRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm sick to my stomach about what's going on with the media. The Ravens are getting TRASHED from every single angle! It's literally sickening.

Every news about the Ravens is something negative: "Flacco not elite, wants too much money"; "Lewis used illegal substances"; "Flacco said 'stupid' (though it was completely out of context)". And those are only from the official NFL page, which I so far had hoped was objective and impartial. Well, I guess not.

The only talk about 49ers is how Kaepernick is the QB of the future and how the Ravens will never be able to stop him and how Moss won(?!) the media day (he said the exact same thing Flacco did, but Flacco is only getting crap for saying he is the best). Basically NFL official media says that 49ers are the World Champions of everything and everyone. Can't find ANYTHING negative about 49ers, nada!

Talk about media being biased! It's pathetic! so called "professionals". It's like the media tries to distract our players on purpose so they wouldn't focus on the game. The only way media could go lower than this is if they started bringing up Torrey and Ed's brothers deaths or dig up some skank who claims to be the mother of one of the Ravens' players child or something. Wouldn't surprise me at this point, tough.

I was whole hearted Ravens fan before, but now I'm burning with frustration and grave for the Ravens to win the SB! Go out there guys, destroy the 49ers, shock the whole world and those so called experts, make everyone forget about Kaep-whatever and show the world what the Ravens are really all about!!!

Edited by Moderator 3, 30 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.
profanity removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users