Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/30: Joe Flacco Wants More Money Than Peyton Manning

146 posts in this topic

Is America tiring of Ray Lewis? Ross defends Lewis. Dave Dameshek apologizes to Flacco.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-130-Joe-Flacco-Wants-More-Money-Than-Peyton-Manning/475b2fe8-7577-473c-a4be-d79a5cd2467c]View the full article[/url]

Flacco getting a Peyton like $100m, $20m avg salary, is similar to Ray Rice asking for a Peterson $100m contract. Its not going to happen. During negotiations you gotta shoot for the moon. Thankfully we have the best FO and a deal will get done that the Ravens & Flacco will be happy with. Go Ravens win the SB!

If Flacco gets 20 million then are team will never be complete. When you have a player making that much money then other areas of your team will suffer. Hope he gets a fair deal but if he breaks the bank the I'm sorry but I'll lose some respect for him. What's better 100 million dollar contract and not competing for the SB every year or a lesser contract and competing for a SB every year.

I'll worry about Joe's contract when we are in the offseason.

As for the rest of the contents of this article - I'm done. I've grown weary of the media turning our elation into trepidation. I'll not be visiting any more sports sites, or tuning in to any more radio shows, or watching Sports Center/NFL Network. The next thing I'll see of all of this is 6 PM on Sunday when I settle in front of the TV.

This moment belongs to us ... our team and our fans ... and not to the jackals. Here's to tuning out the noise, watching the beauty of extreme competition and to feel the joy of watching our guys holding the Lombardi. Peace, out.

GO RAVENS!!!!

Flacco is a G, he know where the money at. Nike, Gatorade, Under Armor...nah I'll get to you in a minute...but HARIBO?! GIMME DAT GUMMY BEAR CONTRACT! lol

Those are the greatest gummy bears in history though

Flacco is now the spokesman for my favorite candy?!?!?!

Everything is going according to the master plan.

Oz will get it squared away no doubt. Just like he said - 'I did the Suggs deal'...'I did the Ngata deal'...'I did the Ray Rice deal'...etc etc. He will have a fair deal.

But just for the record, if Joe Flacco wins big on Sunday, he will have just as many playoff wins as Peyton.

My second point for the record, he already has more playoff wins than all other QBs not named Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. Why all the sudden the conversation is about regular season QB comparisons to playoff QB comparisons...or the lack there of on that component is beyond me.

Finally, for all those who will make the uneducated argument of 'Well he's been leaning on the defense all these years...' I ask you[list]
[*]What happened in 2001 - 2007?
[*]Who were the QBs in 2001 - 2007?
[*]Was there a Super Bowl defense in 2001 - 2007?
[*]How many playoff appearances did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
[*]How many playoff wins did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
[*]Is it then safe to assume that with Air McNair and Boller under center back then, this QB has taken us to new heights?
[/list]
I know it's a team effort but I'm just saying. If the argument is he leaned on the defense, why then didn't Boller and McNair get us there?

Peyton Manning's contract is not relevant to the discussion of how much Flacco deserves.

Recall that when Peyton signed his 18 million per year contract, he was a 36 year old coming off of a neck injury, and he hadn't played in a year, and nobody really knew how good he would be and if he would be durable enough to play a whole season. Frankly, he was a bit of a gamble.

In his previous season of play prior to that contract, 2010, he had his worst season since 2002. Most INTs since 2002, lowerst passer rating since 2002, worst regular season record since 2002, first time under 7 yards per attempt since his rookie season, one and done in the play-offs (losing at home in the Wild Card round for the first time in his career).

There were a lot of reasons he shouldn't have gotten MVP/GOAT/Highest-Paid-QB-In-The-League type money in that contract, and yet he still commanded one of the largest contracts, but frankly the contract he got in that scenario SHOULDN'T have been as high as the contract Flacco gets in THIS scenario.

Look how long it took for Manning to get the kinda money he got. Joe your a good young player but the team comes first, you most definitely didn't do it all yourself, it's a team sport and there were rookies this yr that actually played better statisticly. Far too many on and off games for a 5th yr player. Wr have really shined here in the playoffs so give them alot of credit, Boldin has been lights out and might just have the best hands I've seen. o-line has played very well, should have been the starting line-up throughout the yr but Cam is a nitwit with now vision to utilize players talent. So idk I'm just saying he can't in his right mind really honestly believe he should be paid top 5 qb money. That would just be a travisty and horrible mistake on our part in the long run.

[quote name='DMAC' timestamp='1359560866' post='1335330']
If Flacco gets 20 million then are team will never be complete. When you have a player making that much money then other areas of your team will suffer. Hope he gets a fair deal but if he breaks the bank the I'm sorry but I'll lose some respect for him. What's better 100 million dollar contract and not competing for the SB every year or a lesser contract and competing for a SB every year.
[/quote]

LMAO, first of all...until a few weeks ago, you could count the number of people who had respect for Joe Flacco on one hand. and all but maybe 3 people on this site (including myself) "lose respect" for basically anybody that makes more than $8 an hour, so somehow...i dont think Flacco will be bothered.

And the Broncos look pretty complete to me.

Callahan09: Did you REALLY just try to compare Flacco to Manning??? Please be joking man. Manning earned his money. Multiple 4,000 py seasons, MVP awards, Many seasons with OVER 25 pass td, A SB victory. There is no camparison man. Joe wasn't in the top 10 in any catigory I believe besides maybe yrds per comp. Idk I'm just a fond believer in EARNING things. If we win the SB like I know we will it won't be just because Joe I can guarantee you that. D will win this game.

[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359562180' post='1335347']
Look how long it took for Manning to get the kinda money he got. Joe your a good young player but the team comes first, you most definitely didn't do it all yourself, it's a team sport and there were rookies this yr that actually played better statisticly. Far too many on and off games for a 5th yr player. Wr have really shined here in the playoffs so give them alot of credit, Boldin has been lights out and might just have the best hands I've seen. o-line has played very well, should have been the starting line-up throughout the yr but Cam is a nitwit with now vision to utilize players talent. So idk I'm just saying he can't in his right mind really honestly believe he should be paid top 5 qb money. That would just be a travisty and horrible mistake on our part in the long run.
[/quote]

This is dumb. you basically just said Joe shouldnt get paid because he's on a football team.
Yo havent said anything here that isnt true of any other QB playing at a high level.
ALL QBs need people who can catch, ALL QBs need a line to protect them, ALL QBs need a creative OC.

i invite you my friend, to the Gisele Bundchen school of football
[url="http://youtu.be/67oHwqzR4yM?t=16s"]http://youtu.be/67oHwqzR4yM?t=16s[/url]

[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359562764' post='1335354']
Callahan09: Did you REALLY just try to compare Flacco to Manning??? Please be joking man. Manning earned his money. Multiple 4,000 py seasons, MVP awards, Many seasons with OVER 25 pass td, A SB victory. There is no camparison man. Joe wasn't in the top 10 in any catigory I believe besides maybe yrds per comp. Idk I'm just a fond believer in EARNING things. If we win the SB like I know we will it won't be just because Joe I can guarantee you that. D will win this game.
[/quote]

I see that you completely failed to comprehend the meaning behind my comment. I was talking about how Peyton's contract didn't exactly come at a time when he was peaking and at the prime of his career. It didn't come after a good season, or a demonstration of improvement. It came after a season he couldn't even play due to a nearly career-ending injury, and following the last season he did play being his worst in the past 9 years. It was a gamble of a contract and didn't represent the kind of contract he would have gotten had he been on the open market in, say, 2007. You can look at his career accolades all you want, I'm not saying Peyton's career hasn't been better than Joe's, I'm just saying that Peyton's contract wasn't as high as it would have been had those other factors not been involved. You can't just say, well, Peyton was amazing a few years ago... you have to consider what he will do DURING THE CONTACT HE IS ABOUT TO SIGN. And recent history did not lend one to believing that he would be playing his best football during this current contract.

I hope the ravens re-sign cary williams , ed reed and paul kruger

cary williams and paul kruger on 4-5 year deals
ed reed on a 1-2 year deal because we cant afford to lose ed reed and ray lewis in the same year

[quote name='easternshore97' timestamp='1359561783' post='1335343']
Oz will get it squared away no doubt. Just like he said - 'I did the Suggs deal'...'I did the Ngata deal'...'I did the Ray Rice deal'...etc etc. He will have a fair deal.

But just for the record, if Joe Flacco wins big on Sunday, he will have just as many playoff wins as Peyton.

My second point for the record, he already has more playoff wins than all other QBs not named Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. Why all the sudden the conversation is about regular season QB comparisons to playoff QB comparisons...or the lack there of on that component is beyond me.

Finally, for all those who will make the uneducated argument of 'Well he's been leaning on the defense all these years...' I ask you[list]
[*]What happened in 2001 - 2007?
[*]Who were the QBs in 2001 - 2007?
[*]Was there a Super Bowl defense in 2001 - 2007?
[*]How many playoff appearances did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
[*]How many playoff wins did the team have from 2001 - 2007?
[*]Is it then safe to assume that with Air McNair and Boller under center back then, this QB has taken us to new heights?
[/list]
I know it's a team effort but I'm just saying. If the argument is he leaned on the defense, why then didn't Boller and McNair get us there?
[/quote]

I get what you're saying, and I did a little comparison of some key factors...

Between 2001-2007, the Ravens allowed 290.6 yards per game, and had 1.99 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 1.009 interceptions per game.

Between 2008-2012, the Ravens allowed 304.1 yards per game, and had 1.80 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 0.725 interceptions per game.

So we were giving up about the same number of points per game, and fewer yards per game, while at the same time they going onto the field more because our QBs were turning the ball over a lot more, and our QBs were putting up fewer TDs despite getting the ball more as a result of takeaways.

Flacco has put the defense back on the field due to interceptions at a much lower rate, he has benefited from fewer takeaways getting him back on the field, and his defense lets the opposing team eat up clock and churn out more yards... and yet has had a lot more success, both in his personal numbers, and in terms of leading our team to wins. I'd say that speaks volumes.

I'm sick to my stomach about what's going on with the media. The Ravens are getting TRASHED from every single angle! It's literally sickening.

Every news about the Ravens is something negative: "Flacco not elite, wants too much money"; "Lewis used illegal substances"; "Flacco said 'retarded' (though it was completely out of context)". And those are only from the official NFL page, which I so far had hoped was objective and impartial. Well, I guess not.

The only talk about 49ers is how Kaepernick is the QB of the future and how the Ravens will never be able to stop him and how Moss won(?!) the media day (he said the exact same thing Flacco did, but Flacco is only getting crap for saying he is the best). Basically NFL official media says that 49ers are the World Champions of everything and everyone. Can't find ANYTHING negative about 49ers, nada!

Talk about media being biased! It's pathetic! so called "professionals". It's like the media tries to distract our players on purpose so they wouldn't focus on the game. The only way media could go lower than this is if they started bringing up Torrey and Ed's brothers deaths or dig up some skank who claims to be the mother of one of the Ravens' players child or something. Wouldn't surprise me at this point, tough.

I was whole hearted Ravens fan before, but now I'm burning with frustration and grave for the Ravens to win the SB! Go out there guys, destroy the 49ers, shock the whole world and those so called experts, make everyone forget about Kaep-whatever and show the world what the Ravens are really all about!!!

Kudos to Dameshek for manning up enough to admit he was wrong. And shame on him for being an idiot in the first place.

One way or another, Joe will be staying in Baltimore. But probably not to the tune of $20 million a year...need money to pay the line that keeps him upright, and need to focus on defense (not saying the defense is bad, just old/retiring/entering free agency)...

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - Castigating,inflamatory · Report post

riseNConquer81: Did you read what I said or are you just trying to turn things ppl say around to make yourself sound smart. Who doesn't know qb needs wr to catch footballs duh dude. I'm talking about what a player like Manning has done compared to Flacco and the plays that Anquan Boldin in particular made in the playoffs to get us to the SB. Not every wr would catch some of those balls that were thrown so if you can't get that then you just don't know football. Just saying Joe isn't the only one that should be praised in the spotlight. Learn to read what ppl type on here and stop trying to misconstrue everything we other fans put on here to try and make yourself sound smart because it isn't working.

I've been reading about Alex Smith QB of San Fran,I think it's terrible that when someone gets hurt and another QB takes over they can't get their job back when they get better because that backup QB is a little better,I hope we rattle Kaepernick so bad he has to sit out the rest of the Super Bowl,I know it's about business but when I was laid off from my job they had to find 3 people to replace me and not only that but the business folded up,they ask me to come back but told them I'm not interested,Alex will find a better job on another team

[quote name='easternshore97' timestamp='1359561783' post='1335343'] Oz will get it squared away no doubt. Just like he said - 'I did the Suggs deal'...'I did the Ngata deal'...'I did the Ray Rice deal'...etc etc. He will have a fair deal. But just for the record, if Joe Flacco wins big on Sunday, he will have just as many playoff wins as Peyton. My second point for the record, he already has more playoff wins than all other QBs not named Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger. Why all the sudden the conversation is about regular season QB comparisons to playoff QB comparisons...or the lack there of on that component is beyond me. Finally, for all those who will make the uneducated argument of 'Well he's been leaning on the defense all these years...' I ask you[list] [*]What happened in 2001 - 2007? [*]Who were the QBs in 2001 - 2007? [*]Was there a Super Bowl defense in 2001 - 2007? [*]How many playoff appearances did the team have from 2001 - 2007? [*]How many playoff wins did the team have from 2001 - 2007? [*]Is it then safe to assume that with Air McNair and Boller under center back then, this QB has taken us to new heights? [/list] I know it's a team effort but I'm just saying. If the argument is he leaned on the defense, why then didn't Boller and McNair get us there? [/quote] [quote name='callahan09' timestamp='1359563490' post='1335364'] I get what you're saying, and I did a little comparison of some key factors... Between 2001-2007, the Ravens allowed 290.6 yards per game, and had 1.99 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 1.009 interceptions per game. Between 2008-2012, the Ravens allowed 304.1 yards per game, and had 1.80 takeaways per game, while our quarterbacks threw 0.725 interceptions per game. So we were giving up about the same number of points per game, and fewer yards per game, while at the same time they going onto the field more because our QBs were turning the ball over a lot more, and our QBs were putting up fewer TDs despite getting the ball more as a result of takeaways. Flacco has put the defense back on the field due to interceptions at a much lower rate, he has benefited from fewer takeaways getting him back on the field, and his defense lets the opposing team eat up clock and churn out more yards... and yet has had a lot more success, both in his personal numbers, and in terms of leading our team to wins. I'd say that speaks volumes. [/quote]

Impressive. I hadn't even done that assessment. And what's really important is that the only real stud season the defense had in the Flacco era was the 2008 season. And of course he leaned that year cause he was a rookie...with Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason as the wide receiver corps....But like you've shown statistically, the defense was better then from '01-'07 and I don't even know if we got more than 1 playoff win in those 7 seasons.

Perhaps we should go take over ESPN First Take or any of the shows on ESPN, because those guys are clearly only paid to talk about what "sounds right" as opposed to really pointing out the key aspects and right comparisons

The way Ray Rice wanted Adrian Peterson money? I hate reading the rumors during contract negotiations. Screw you, La Canfora.

If that was real then much respect to Dave Dameshek. He's the only person I've ever seen do that, Skip Bayless would never! Not only because he can't leave his desk without looking awkward, but because of his pure hatred for Baltimore.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - Not tolerating a slap fight this week!!! · Report post

[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359562180' post='1335347']
Look how long it took for Manning to get the kinda money he got. Joe your a good young player but the team comes first, [b]you most definitely didn't do it all yourself[/b], it's a team sport and there were rookies this yr that actually played better statisticly. Far too many on and off games for a 5th yr player. [b]Wr have really shined here in the playoffs so give them alot of credit,[/b] Boldin has been lights out and might just have the best hands I've seen.[b] o-line has played very well, [/b]should have been the starting line-up throughout the yr but Cam is a nitwit with now vision to utilize players talent. So idk I'm just saying he can't in his right mind really honestly believe he should be paid top 5 qb money. That would just be a travisty and horrible mistake on our part in the long run.
[/quote]
[quote name='FLBoyRaven' timestamp='1359564170' post='1335372']
riseNConquer81: Did you read what I said or are you just trying to turn things ppl say around to make yourself sound smart. Who doesn't know qb needs wr to catch footballs duh dude. I'm talking about what a player like Manning has done compared to Flacco and the plays that Anquan Boldin in particular made in the playoffs to get us to the SB. Not every wr would catch some of those balls that were thrown so if you can't get that then you just don't know football. Just saying Joe isn't the only one that should be praised in the spotlight. Learn to read what ppl type on here and stop trying to misconstrue everything we other fans put on here to try and make yourself sound smart because it isn't working.
[/quote]

Those are direct quotes so i doubt it...but let me know if i missed something. You BARELY mentioned Manning in the first sentence, and then proceeded to basically talk about how Flacco shouldve played 22 diffrent positions all at once to earn his money. Manning doesnt throw wide open money passes on eery down. Nor does Brees, nor Brady, nor Roethlisberger...making tough catches is a WRs job. You can try to spin it any way you want...WRs cant catch anything that isnt thrown to them. And those deep ball situations to Boldin? Lot of QBs would NEVER throw that because they wouldnt trust him to come down with it. They'd assume he'd get beat because he's slow.

I read just fine...learn to write what it is you ACTUALLY mean so nothing gets misconstrued.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 30, 2013 - Not tolerating a slap fight this week!!! · Report post

Callahan09: I comprehended everything you said just fine. Did you read what I put or are you just stuck in a little bubble. Manning still had a better yr then Joe did his last yr in Indy while being hurt. He had to play his contract out first DUH dude do you not know that. He already knew he was going to get paid that kinda money when he came back he was still at the top of his game before he went out. Yeah ohh he had his most ints in his career so what, he also lead the league in TD passes I believe. Indy would have resigned him if they didn't have the 1st overall pick man. So like I said why would we be dumb to pay a qb who can't even put up top 10 numbers. Russell Wilson had more pass td come on man wake up. Joe is good I'm not bashing him he is a good qb but if we didn't make the SB you would all be crying about how horrible he is. This D is whats been leading us all yr even with injuries. When Joe becomes more consistent I would give him a big contract until then I would only sign him for a few yrs but the ftag might be what he gets until then.