Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/29: Will NFL Exist In 30 Years?

50 posts in this topic

Guide to all of the crazy prop bets. Flacco says cold weather Super Bowl stupid. Ali inspires Ravens.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-129-Will-NFL-Exist-In-30-Years/555ce7a2-278a-4a71-9075-b1821039b3d7]View the full article[/url]

Flacco plays astronomical at Baltimore and stellar at his second home in Foxborough. Hope he makes all Superbowl venues his time share.

Pollard is right, its going to be hard to justify paying big $$$ as a psl owner when i don't recognize the game that i grew up watching.

I'm curious as to how many of these injuries occurred because of lack of due diligence on the part of team physicians not sitting a guy down rather than a hit?

What's interesting is with the increase in mobile and hand-held media, TV viewership (and soon, contracts) are dropping and that does not bode well for an NFL in Thirty years!

Another factor is that I'm 63 and I believe we'll see a franchise in London before I reach my 68th (gawd willing) birthday!

Somehow, that seems like it will cause more problems that it's worth! Think of a Saturday or gawd forbid, a Thursday game after a jet-lagged "Red-eye" from London to Chicago on Sunday! And, what about West Coast teams?

But, progress must go on! I'm just happy I was around in the late 50s and early 60s to see the NFL and AFL do their things before the merger and to see our Colts in their heyday!

I think that the equipment will evolve in the next ten years to answer the injury problem and eliminate the rules used to try to limit dangerous contact. Perhaps something like a helmet that better absorbs the kenetic energy released on contact, and a complete body armor type setup for most (or all) of the body replacing most pads.

Sci-fi you say? Perhaps, but the game of football is akin to our base need to compete on a grand scale, so our desire to see the best and strongest compete is not easily dismissed. We would find a way, the money is certainly there to do it. When I played college ball long (very long) ago a safety weighed about 160-190 lbs tops, today that's a joke. With the money spent on football, technology will catch up.

Just my opinion.

GO RAVENS!

Hey our Defense has come up big these whole playoffs. they had force at least 2 to 3 turnovers in each game
ind-2 held to 9
denver-3 21(by Offense)
patriots-3( 13 to tom Brady)

out team is just at a high right now and the team is playing great football, bring home that Lombardi! GO Ravens!! love my ravens.

Joe comments should have been more directed toward defending the Fans. Football can be played in 10 degree weather, fine. But I'm spending $13,000 to go to NOLA for 5 days. I'm not going anywhere where I'm going to freeze my butt off, like Detroit, NY, etc.

As someone who volunteered numerous summers with the mentally challenged, and who has a father who devoted a career to helping them, I'm offended by Flacco's use of the word 'retarded'. I get it was a mistake, but as a face of a franchise, you choose your words better than that. I hope Joe thinks much more clearly on the field Sunday evening.

oh shut it berkely lol he meant it like its a dumb thing to be playing in cold weather while the fans are freezing there buttocks on the seats

Turned on the tv and it was on the media day for san fran. looked at the tweets at the bottom and they made me mad from all the stuff they said.... I just keep saying be like Joe don't care about them o.o........lol

i disagree with flacco. i would love to see some superbowls played in cold weather. the ravens play well in cold weather and i see it as an advantage. go ravens!!

Defense wins games! I think our defense will perform better Sunday. Jim Caldwell will make adjustments as he sees it, and destroy the 49ers defense.

i disagree with joe too, i love the idea of cold super bowls. although i seriously hate dome super bowls, a super bowl should never take place indoors, no sick fireworks, the jet fly over, all that stuff, should be even bigger and better for the super bowl, not taken away from the game completely for the biggest game of the year. and 3 years in a row the bowls been in a dome and i think its ridiculous how they cater to these pass-happy dome teams even in the sb. lets toss out the super dome and just have it at metlife this year!

i hear what BP is saying and I agree that the roger goddell NFL is a joke...but where are the atheletes going to graduate too? MMA... will be the new option for many but there are not a ton of wrestling scholarships and the are no MMA scholarships....

that beign said... the NFL (however watered down it may get) will always be a viable option at earning a scholarship and possibly a lucrative paycheck some day... it will be a way out for some and it will continue to be one avenue for success...

As long as we can say that about the NFL.... people we keep playing and people will keep tuning in (We will complain the entire time) but unless a better option comes along people will be tunning in now and 30 years from now!

Obviously a regrettable choice of words, however he immediately retracted it in that same answer. And for anyone who lives in Maryland knows he is one of the biggest supporters of the special olympics of Maryland as he is front and center each and every year for the annual polar bear plunge to benefit the cause. He made a simple mistake in his choice of words that all of us are susceptible to.

I agree with Joe. First of all, these teams have put through so much effort to make it to the Super Bowl. They should be able to play in nice weather or at least weather that isn't miserable. As fun as it would be to watch it from home, I'd be mad if I paid thousands of dollars for a ticket only for it to be so cold that I feel like I'm gonna be frostbitten. I've been in frigid, windy weather before in the nosebleeds. 4 layers of clothes and it's still torturous.

I agree with Ravenwildman, we've been slowly watching the game evolve over time. Helmets keep changing every 5-10 years. The rules are being tweaked constantly against the part of the game where collisions to the head are much more likely. We wonder why it's a QB league now, and a passing league, and its because of the RULE changes. Quarterbacks of a bygone era took blows to the head and got clotheslined tackled.

The fines in general are Pavlovian in nature, they are trying to condition a response with a negative stimulus. Unfortunately, people are way more stubborn than animals in some ways, and take way longer to learn in this manner. I agree with Pollard on this as well, make helmet to helmet hits that are questionable calls reviewable.

There is absolutely no chance that the NFL will dissapear. The amount of money invested into this and the number of people who want to continue this is insane. As long as owners and players are making this much it will continue. The fans care about safety, but not enought to boycott games, and so people will continue to pay and owners will continue to rake in the money. Its a self sustaining life form. Plus there would be rioting in the streets by fans.

I think all Super Bowls should be in a controlled climate! this is not the world series... or the NBA finals... you get one game to see who the best team is...

THe test is team vs team not team vs elements team.
WHen the elements become too much of a factor... it clearly impacts some teams and that is not a true test of who the best team is!

COntrolled environment!

Heck no the NFL won't exist in 30 years....that is if future players try and avoid Bernard Pollard!!! CrushBoy as Bernard Pollard is known, is one HARD HITTING DUDE!!! gotta love that guy!

I am just numb right now. I want this SB bowl over and done with, because I don't think I can handle the anxiety any more! I really don't. I want to sleep now and wake up Monday of next week to find out the Ravens have won the SB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I can sit back and watch replay after replay with absolute joy!

I like the idea of a cold Super Bowl. It shows more of a desire and drive to go out and play harder for the win. Special teams is affected also so the final game winning kick could have more significance.

I can only imagine how much in awe those players was to have The Greatest of All Time right in front of them.

Joe's right, a frozen superbowl is stupid.
Only reason i might think about possibly supporting is because they'd HAVE to come down on the price of those tickets. You cant charge $2K for the opportunity to sit in a blizzard...you cant even charge half that for that kind of weather.

I like the idea of a cold superbowl. It makes the game fair, both teams have to deal with the conditions. If we don't have cold games, they should atleast be in open stadiumms.

[quote name='Tristan S.' timestamp='1359474961' post='1334004']
Flacco actually called it 'retarded'... I hope he doesn't get slammed too badly for that
[/quote] In this ridiculously hyper sensitive society we live in today...you bet your rear end he'll get slammed for that.

A cold weather Super Bowl is really really really stupid it would of been cool back in the 80's or 90's when every game was a slugfest slobber knocker when it was about defense and running game now it's about passing and cold weather isn't good for that

The answer to your title question is NO!! Now that the lawyers are involved the college level will be affected first. This will lead to the pros. The only thing i disagree with is the time table - im thinking more like 20 years max!! Look at the tobacco industry.

Kind of ticked that the Baltimore Sun wouldn't have just edited the original interview, I mean Flacco did correct himself. Wish the local paper would show a little more class and look pass something that insignificant to the main point of the article.

I love the idea of cold weather. What is so great about the playoffs? The cold weather, the possibility of snow. As a kid I loved playing sandlot football in the snow, albeit for only an hour or so...but it was fun.

People pay top dollar to watch playoff games in the cold miserable January weather (minus the dome teams, which I think their Offensive stats are inflated because of it) And so why wouldn't fans want to see a cold weather superbowl. I could care less what the Media and VIP's think about it. They have tickets handed to them and if they don't like it then they can stay home. I don't think the weather should be a given for the Super Bowl. Teams should have to earn it regardless of the condition. If the players want warm nice weather book a flight to Hawaii.

I agree with MissMattStover;

Their is to much money involed to get ride of foot ball.

And what does Obama know? He's a Chicago Bear fan. The Baltimore Colts beat them 54-0 in 1964. And they have not won a Super Bowl since 1985. He was 24 years old then.

In 30 years, Ray Lewis's son, Ray Lewis the third, will be retireing after playing with the Ravens with two rings just like his dad...

Hey Joe, it's 40 degrees in February outside, deal with it! After all if the Ravens are there next year Joe should be happy with that. Sounds like someone REALLY doesn't like the cold! NY vs any part of the country wins as far as lunacy for Super bowls or any sports, this place is filled to the brim with nuts-trust me.

[quote name='newrorayfan' timestamp='1359493233' post='1334533']
Hey Joe, it's 40 degrees in February outside, deal with it! After all if the Ravens are there next year Joe should be happy with that. Sounds like someone REALLY doesn't like the cold! NY vs any part of the country wins as far as lunacy for Super bowls or any sports, this place is filled to the brim with nuts-trust me.
[/quote]
Your not the one playing...

Seriously this is ridicules...we really need to make articles about a player that disagree's about the type of weather he or she is playing in because they called it "retarded"? These are the types of articles that make me wish NFL.Com never existed. Its his opinion, its his job, if he doesn't agree with the conditions then so be it, but there's no need to make whole articles and sections just because he called it "retarded". Sad that the media just want more ratings.

[quote name='Berkeley_Raven' timestamp='1359477207' post='1334037']
As someone who volunteered numerous summers with the mentally challenged, and who has a father who devoted a career to helping them, I'm offended by Flacco's use of the word 'retarded'. I get it was a mistake, but as a face of a franchise, you choose your words better than that. I hope Joe thinks much more clearly on the field Sunday evening.
[/quote]

Thank you! As an autistic person I find it offensive too. That doesn't mean I suddenly hate Joe Flacco or that I'm just a "bandwagon" fan either.

[quote name='metalraven' timestamp='1359485316' post='1334275']
In this ridiculously hyper sensitive society we live in today...you bet your rear end he'll get slammed for that.
[/quote]

Not hypersensitive, as regards that specific word. It's not about being politically correct, whatever that means, it's about having basic respect for a whole group of people. I feel the same way about the word "gay" when it's misused.

That being said, if Joe apologized in the same sentence.....good for him.

[quote name='propjoe' timestamp='1359491099' post='1334470']
Kind of ticked that the Baltimore Sun wouldn't have just edited the original interview, I mean Flacco did correct himself. Wish the local paper would show a little more class and look pass something that insignificant to the main point of the article.
[/quote]

Why? if he said it, he said it, and it should be printed as is.

[quote name='Ravensallday24/7' timestamp='1359502206' post='1334723']
Seriously this is ridicules...we really need to make articles about a player that disagree's about the type of weather he or she is playing in because they called it "retarded"? These are the types of articles that make me wish NFL.Com never existed. Its his opinion, its his job, if he doesn't agree with the conditions then so be it, but there's no need to make whole articles and sections just because he called it "retarded". Sad that the media just want more ratings.
[/quote]

I think maybe that was news because it was surprising (to media) he said it that way, or even expressed an opinion one way or another.

It's the media. What else do you expect?

Hmm, Flacco came up to Mile High, played in more cold than most of you whiners even understand, and won. Clearly this will be a segment with which the intellectually myopic will focus on a poor word choice, instead of the task at hand.
re

my son has autism and my daughter has Aspergers and I don't consider either of them to be retarded. Those of you who get offended by words need to toughen up.

I am a disabled combat vet (OIF) I don't get offended when an athlete refers to his sport as a battle or war. Lineman don't actually fight in the trenches and quarterbacks don't throw actual bombs.