Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH EART DA RAVENS

Flacco on Cold Weather Super Bowl

43 posts in this topic

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000132115/article/joe-flacco-super-bowl-in-coldweather-venue-stupid"]http://www.nfl.com/n...er-venue-stupid[/url]

Does this surprise anyone else? Now don't get me wrong, I agree with what he says, I think a cold weather SB is a bad idea too, but Flacco never opens his mouth and when he does he calls the idea "retarded'? I like Flacco a lot and I know it was just a slip among a million interviews he's doing this week, but Joe was not the person I expected to use that expression.

He corrected himself in the next sentence,[i] "[color=#222221][font=arial, verdana, helvetica]I probably shouldn't say that. I think it's stupid."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#222221][font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Disappointing but a slip of the tongue. Joe does work for SOMD so I think he knows the weight of that word.[/font][/color]

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1359424496' post='1333694']
He corrected himself in the next sentence,[i] "[color=#222221][font=arial, verdana, helvetica]I probably shouldn't say that. I think it's stupid."[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#222221][font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Disappointing but a slip of the tongue. Joe does work for SOMD so I think he knows the weight of that word.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
The media will take it out of proportion. Like they did with his I am the best QB in the NFL comments

I have a special needs Grand Daughter who I raise,and the use of that word dont sit well with me,or any of the people also in my shoes i have met along the way in our journey... I am pretty shocked he used it!!!!!!

He's human. He thinks it's a dumb idea. People always want to feel like the athletes are being real with them. Didn't give the pc answer, let the man live. I'm pretty sure if we could curse here, most of the posts wouldn't be this clean.

I hate it when ANYBODY is grilled for the use of certain words - specifically when the intended meaning is far from what the media spin is trying them to make it out to be.

Slightly different but the same in terms of being crucified for no reason; the Alabama game regarding AJ McCarron's gf... Musberger didn't need to have apologised.

Just harmless stuff.

While it's a poor choice of words, I don't hold it against him. He merely meant it as a slang. He should know better, but I don't think he is in any way belittling anyone who has a mental handicap.

I'm not going to call it a poor choice of words, it's a normal choice of words. The majority of people are just far too oversensitive. Pretty soon even stupid is going to become a word you can't say.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1359424769' post='1333703']
While it's a poor choice of words, I don't hold it against him. He merely meant it as a slang. He should know better, but I don't think he is in any way belittling anyone who has a mental handicap.
[/quote]

No I totally agree with you - along with pretty much everyone else - and I'm not trying to be politically correct here. My girlfriend's son is special needs though, so I am sensitive to the word. Not in the sense that it offends me, just in the sense that I notice it when people use it as slang. I did all the time when I was younger. I don't think Flacco was trying to be a jerk in any way and I hope no one thought I was implying that. I was just remarking on the fact that it surprised me Joe said it when, let's be honest, no one would be terribly surprised if for instance, Suggs, voiced his opinion so bluntly.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1359424923' post='1333706']
I'm not going to call it a poor choice of words, it's a normal choice of words. The majority of people are just far too oversensitive. Pretty soon even stupid is going to become a word you can't say.
[/quote]
Lol, you know what? I agree more with this than my own statement. People are too sensitive.

To me, as long as no one is abusing anyone directly, and more importantly there isn't intent of hate etc - words should just be words.

Not something that is clearly extrapolated by most people into something that denotes the essence of horrible and evil.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1359425155' post='1333711']
Lol, you know what? I agree more with this than my own statement. People are too sensitive.
[/quote]

Yeah I guess my post was a little vague. I'm not offended in any way by it. Its not the word retarded specifically that surprised me. Pretty much the same as if he said the idea was '[profanity deleted] ridiculous.' Mostly just expressing my surprise at that kind of answer from our mild mannered QB.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1359425537' post='1333719']
Bad choice of words, but it's[b] colloquial.[/b] We know what he meant.

Slips of the tongue happen.
[/quote]Exactly.

He wasn't writing an academic thesis on the premise of Superbowls on colder climates. He doesn't need to use Turnitin or get his words peer reviewed. He's an athlete that I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% didn't mean ANY harm or disrespect.

Whether it's Flacco; or Brady, or Ben etc that said the same exact thing; no one should be crucified for this kind of thing.

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1359425948' post='1333726']
Can't wait to hear about this all [b]offseason[/b]

:34853_brickwall:
[/quote]

[quote name='BALTIMOREFLACCO' timestamp='1359425948' post='1333726']
Can't wait to hear about this all week

:34853_brickwall:
[/quote]lol Flacco could win 10 Superbowls, win 5 MVPs and break all passing and rushing, receiving and sack records; the same haters and uninformed people will never get off his back.

media as it is, this will be all we are going to hear about.
His correction being conveniently left out.

Personally I think getting worked up over this is stupid. Sure, at one point it meant someone of stunted growth, whether intellectual or physical, but now, especially since its frowned upon, it no longer truly means that. Its simply another word for stupid. Considering that political correct morons have rejected it from its original intention, its now just another harmless way of saying stupid. Had he called a cold weather super bowl special needs, maybe then there is cause for being offended, but this is not anything to get worked up or angry about.

[quote name='IH EART DA RAVENS' timestamp='1359425484' post='1333718']

Yeah I guess my post was a little vague. I'm not offended in any way by it. Its not the word retarded specifically that surprised me. Pretty much the same as if he said the idea was '[profanity deleted] ridiculous.' Mostly just expressing my surprise at that kind of answer from our mild mannered QB.
[/quote]
Oh, you're good. I wasn't even thinking about you when I commented. It was more about people who will twist this into something it's not.

[quote name='IMissMattStover' timestamp='1359427119' post='1333748']
Personally I think getting worked up over this is stupid. Sure, at one point it meant someone of stunted growth, whether intellectual or physical, but now, especially since its frowned upon, it no longer truly means that. Its simply another word for stupid. Considering that political correct morons have rejected it from its original intention, its now just another harmless way of saying stupid. Had he called a cold weather super bowl special needs, maybe then there is cause for being offended, but this is not anything to get worked up or angry about.
[/quote]Absolutely agreed.

This wont be the first time media tries to mess w/ our players head. Especially against the 'underdog' Ravens. They love harassing the hell out of us.

We all know what he meant, the vast majoirity of us have used the word in the exact same way and we all know it wasn't meant to be taken literally. If someone has decided to be offended by it, so be it. There's nothing you can really do about that. Blink at the wrong time these days and someone is offended.

Life's tough, wear a cup.

To their credit, at least NFL.com didn't put it directly in the story title on the homepage...of course, that's probably less to do with not wanting Joe to get criticized and more to do with them just not wanting it on their homepage. I'm sure everyone at the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" will have a nice, fun time with that quote -__-

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1359424923' post='1333706']
I'm not going to call it a poor choice of words, it's a normal choice of words. The majority of people are just far too oversensitive. [b] Pretty soon even stupid is going to become a word you can't say.[/b]
[/quote]

What in the world is the matter with you? Don't you know we have many 'stupid' members, this is very offensive.

[quote name='IH EART DA RAVENS' timestamp='1359426318' post='1333733']
I have a feeling I maybe shouldn't have posted this in the first place...
[/quote]

That might have been wise.