Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

18th_Airborne

Ayanbadejo's Opinion

29 posts in this topic

After reading the news this morning and hearing Ayanbadejo decided he was going to speak out on behalf of Gay rights I kinda got a little questionable. This is our time as a City and a team. My opinion is that his personal opinions should be done on his own time since it does not refelect all of the team or city supporters. The Super Bowl is certainly not the place for him to put it in the spot light. If the reports are correct... If they are maybe this should be mentioned to him.

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/28/ravens-linebacker-to-tackle-marriage-equality-on-football-biggest-stage/

It isn't like he'll be wearing a rainbow uniform that says "Gay Rights" across the back. When it's time to play, he'll play just as hard as the rest of the team. What he does with his own time is his business whether you approve or not, and interviews are most certainly his own time. If reporters wanted the opinions of the Ravens organization, they wouldn't be asking questions of the players.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1359372063' post='1333037']
It isn't like he'll be wearing a rainbow uniform that says "Gay Rights" across the back. When it's time to play, he'll play just as hard as the rest of the team. What he does with his own time is his business whether you approve or not, and interviews are most certainly his own time. If reporters wanted the opinions of the Ravens organization, they wouldn't be asking questions of the players.
[/quote]well said

I like the idea of players being able to Pioneer their own "movements" but this, to me is a bowel movement. You'll be able to do this stuff AFTER the season...

I think he needs to focus 100% on the game, not 99% on it.

Mod note: this thread is done as soon as it gets political.

[/quote]interviews are not your own time, they are about the team, not your own personal life.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1359379123' post='1333070']
interviews are not your own time, they are about the team, not your own personal life.
[/quote]
I've yet to see the list of interview questions that each individual reporter will use, but somehow I doubt that every single question will cover BA's work with the team. Again, if they wanted to know what the Ravens organization thinks, they'd just talk to Harbs, Oz, and Biscotti.

As for the giving 100% effort bit, I'll agree with you when I see a player who spends every second of his time in NO either playing in the Superbowl, practicing, or studying tape. All of the players have defined times that they have to spend preparing for the Superbowl, and the rest of their time can be spent as they want. Some will spend their time sight seeing, some will visit family, and BA will do what he can for his cause.

I simply don't understand what the stigma is with trying to champion a cause. Are we going to tell Reed and Jacoby that they aren't allowed to visit their familes? Are we going to make all of the players eat their meals at the team facility so they can watch tape together?

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1359379682' post='1333074']

I've yet to see the list of interview questions that each individual reporter will use, but somehow I doubt that every single question will cover BA's work with the team. Again, if they wanted to know what the Ravens organization thinks, they'd just talk to Harbs, Oz, and Biscotti.

As for the giving 100% effort bit, I'll agree with you when I see a player who spends every second of his time in NO either playing in the Superbowl, practicing, or studying tape. All of the players have defined times that they have to spend preparing for the Superbowl, and the rest of their time can be spent as they want. Some will spend their time sight seeing, some will visit family, and BA will do what he can for his cause.

I simply don't understand what the stigma is with trying to champion a cause. Are we going to tell Reed and Jacoby that they aren't allowed to visit their familes? Are we going to make all of the players eat their meals at the team facility so they can watch tape together?
[/quote]i dunno who all of that is aimed at after the first paragraph but it shouldn't be me. I don't care what they do in their time off, but when he's on the podium with the ravens logo behind him, in ravens clothing, that's ravens time, not his own personal opinion time.

Ayanbadejo's been championing this for years. I doubt the team will let it distract him from the main goal. With that said, I feel like it would be more prudent to wait until after the Super Bowl to do it. As a Super Bowl champion, he will have the ability to easily get in front of media. That seems like it would be the best time to champion this cause.

But whatever. I still don't think Harbaugh let's him distract the team or himself from the primary objective of this trip.

[quote name='Moderator 6' timestamp='1359379065' post='1333069']
I think he needs to focus 100% on the game, not 99% on it.

Mod note: this thread is done as soon as it gets political.
[/quote]

As soon as I saw this thread I knew it was either already done or had a mod a post in it.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1359380780' post='1333081']
i dunno who all of that is aimed at after the first paragraph but it shouldn't be me. I don't care what they do in their time off, but when he's on the podium with the ravens logo behind him, in ravens clothing, that's ravens time, not his own personal opinion time.
[/quote]

While I agree that its "Ravens time", do you think the media is not going to ask Ray about what happened 13 years ago in Atlanta? You can almost guarantee that those questions come up.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1359379682' post='1333074']

[/quote]

True. And remember, many of the players have their own foundations for one cause or another, many for needy children. They use their position as Ravens to further those causes. What is the difference? A pet cause is a cause, regardless. I am sure if a reporter asked Rice about his foundation he wouldnt deign to answer because it was superbowl time.

I'm honestly getting tired of Ayanbadejo. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his views, but I'm just tired of hearing him talk at this point. He's not performing on the field, and I feel like that's where his sole focus should be at a time like this. I'm not criticizing him for speaking his mind, but is the Super Bowl really the correct stage to do such a thing?

he is using this stage as a way to share an issue that is important to him. as long as he is focused on the game on Sunday, which he will be, I'm fine with that.

I just want our players to stay out of trouble. that's when focus is lost.

[/quote]

An interview at the Superbowl is not his own "personal" time. What he says reflects on the team. Don't forget the OP has the same right Brendan does in regards to speaking his opinion, and so do I.

Brendan has picked a bad time to display his politics. With the tweet before the New England game Brendan has already proven he cannot be trusted with sound judgement. The trip should be about winning a Championship only and nothing else. You cannot say with 100% certainly that this won't be a distraction. I can say, however, if Brendan doesn't bring this up it will not be a distraction. I don't care about his politics. I only want to see my team win a World Championship.

[/quote]

That's pretty naive there sir/madam. EVERYTHING a player says or does whether in the offseason, regular season or post season not only reflects on him but on the organization as well. They don't HAVE their own time when they put themselves in the spotlight on Twitter or in front of cameras or even on the phone doing an interview with a reporter. They don't HAVE that luxury. I mean, Anna Burns Welker doesn't even play on the Patriots, but her comments about Ray Lewis made the entire Patriots organization look 'classless' just like Mrs. Brady's (no, the actual Mrs. Brady) comments did last year. The plain truth of the matter is that BA is certainly choosing strange times to open foot/insert mouth late this year and it's pretty disconcerting. I don't care if he wants to champioin gay marriage or whatever he's doing, but to do it now? At this time? It's just not smart and a little bit weird.

Here's the thing. If a reporter puts the question to him, and he comes out for same sex marriage in his response, that's all good. I have no issue with that at all. However, for him to decide to use this venue to promote his personal opinions is an entirely different matter. This is not about HIM nor whatever opinions he holds on any subject. This is about football and the team. Save your personal agendas for after the game.

Harbaugh should nix this before it even starts...he will have plenty of time to do the talk show circuit after Sunday.

Let me try this again. BA has every right to talk about what he wants when he has time with the media. His stance has been well documented and he should have the same opportunity as anyone else to champion a cause, movement, charity etc. It wouldn't surprise me if he is asked about it by media members given how outspoken he is. I don't see how anyone could say it is a distraction.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1359396344' post='1333258']
Here's the thing. If a reporter puts the question to him, and he comes out for same sex marriage in his response, that's all good. I have no issue with that at all. However, for him to decide to use this venue to promote his personal opinions is an entirely different matter. This is not about HIM nor whatever opinions he holds on any subject. This is about football and the team. Save your personal agendas for after the game.
[/quote]
So Ray Lewis kneeling down at midfield for 2 minutes with 500 reporters around him is about the team too? There is a double standard here.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1359399581' post='1333317']
So Ray Lewis kneeling down at midfield for 2 minutes with 500 reporters around him is about the team too? There is a double standard here.
[/quote]

That was AFTER the game.

And sorry, but comparing someone's faith in God to gay marriage isn't even remotely the same thing. It's very common for someone to thank God after an event. It's not at all common for someone to promote a highly controversial subject such as gay marriage BEFORE the Superbowl.

[quote name='Fang' timestamp='1359399854' post='1333322']

That was AFTER the game.

And sorry, but comparing someone's faith in God to gay marriage isn't even remotely the same thing. It's very common for someone to thank God after an event. It's not at all common for someone to promote a highly controversial subject such as gay marriage BEFORE the Superbowl.
[/quote]
Im not comparing the two topics...I'm comparing the idea of putting oneself ahead of the team. I see that much more in Ray Lewis than BA. Granted, Lewis certainly deserves the spotlight and his words give credit to the team but he also is begging for attention with his actions.

I still dont see how BA's stance on gay marriage is a distraction. He's been outspoken all year. It's not anything new.

I'm getting tired of BA's non football activity BS; he needs to focus on tackling and leading ST to play better for the final game of the postseason. After this Sunday, BA can do whatever he wants. It's time to focus on football, not on your personal preference or idea. I was supportive of BA for freedom of speech thing, but this thing is getting out of hand when we have football to play.

BA, stop your BS and play football.... When the postseason is over, you can do anything you want that we fans don't bother to question your freedom of speech.........

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1359400439' post='1333328']
Im not comparing the two topics...I'm comparing the idea of putting oneself ahead of the team. I see that much more in Ray Lewis than BA. Granted, Lewis certainly deserves the spotlight and his words give credit to the team but he also is begging for attention with his actions.

I still dont see how BA's stance on gay marriage is a distraction. He's been outspoken all year. It's not anything new.
[/quote]

I don't know if it's a distraction for the team or not. It's still super weird timing. Is BA a future HOFer that is retiring this year? Are his beliefs charging the entire team during a year of a ton of adversity? I think 52's situation and BA's are totally different. Ray's gonna get the camera no matter what he does and for good reasons. BA? Not so much.