26 replies to this topic

#1 18th_Airborne

18th_Airborne

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

After reading the news this morning and hearing Ayanbadejo decided he was going to speak out on behalf of Gay rights I kinda got a little questionable. This is our time as a City and a team. My opinion is that his personal opinions should be done on his own time since it does not refelect all of the team or city supporters. The Super Bowl is certainly not the place for him to put it in the spot light. If the reports are correct... If they are maybe this should be mentioned to him.

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.c...-biggest-stage/

#2 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

It isn't like he'll be wearing a rainbow uniform that says "Gay Rights" across the back. When it's time to play, he'll play just as hard as the rest of the team. What he does with his own time is his business whether you approve or not, and interviews are most certainly his own time. If reporters wanted the opinions of the Ravens organization, they wouldn't be asking questions of the players.

#3 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

It isn't like he'll be wearing a rainbow uniform that says "Gay Rights" across the back. When it's time to play, he'll play just as hard as the rest of the team. What he does with his own time is his business whether you approve or not, and interviews are most certainly his own time. If reporters wanted the opinions of the Ravens organization, they wouldn't be asking questions of the players.

well said

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I like the idea of players being able to Pioneer their own "movements" but this, to me is a bowel movement. You'll be able to do this stuff AFTER the season...

#5 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

I think he needs to focus 100% on the game, not 99% on it.

Mod note: this thread is done as soon as it gets political.

#6 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

interviews are not your own time, they are about the team, not your own personal life.

Edited by arnie_uk, 28 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#7 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

interviews are not your own time, they are about the team, not your own personal life.

I've yet to see the list of interview questions that each individual reporter will use, but somehow I doubt that every single question will cover BA's work with the team. Again, if they wanted to know what the Ravens organization thinks, they'd just talk to Harbs, Oz, and Biscotti.

As for the giving 100% effort bit, I'll agree with you when I see a player who spends every second of his time in NO either playing in the Superbowl, practicing, or studying tape. All of the players have defined times that they have to spend preparing for the Superbowl, and the rest of their time can be spent as they want. Some will spend their time sight seeing, some will visit family, and BA will do what he can for his cause.

I simply don't understand what the stigma is with trying to champion a cause. Are we going to tell Reed and Jacoby that they aren't allowed to visit their familes? Are we going to make all of the players eat their meals at the team facility so they can watch tape together?

#8 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I've yet to see the list of interview questions that each individual reporter will use, but somehow I doubt that every single question will cover BA's work with the team. Again, if they wanted to know what the Ravens organization thinks, they'd just talk to Harbs, Oz, and Biscotti.

As for the giving 100% effort bit, I'll agree with you when I see a player who spends every second of his time in NO either playing in the Superbowl, practicing, or studying tape. All of the players have defined times that they have to spend preparing for the Superbowl, and the rest of their time can be spent as they want. Some will spend their time sight seeing, some will visit family, and BA will do what he can for his cause.

I simply don't understand what the stigma is with trying to champion a cause. Are we going to tell Reed and Jacoby that they aren't allowed to visit their familes? Are we going to make all of the players eat their meals at the team facility so they can watch tape together?

i dunno who all of that is aimed at after the first paragraph but it shouldn't be me. I don't care what they do in their time off, but when he's on the podium with the ravens logo behind him, in ravens clothing, that's ravens time, not his own personal opinion time.

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Ayanbadejo's been championing this for years. I doubt the team will let it distract him from the main goal. With that said, I feel like it would be more prudent to wait until after the Super Bowl to do it. As a Super Bowl champion, he will have the ability to easily get in front of media. That seems like it would be the best time to champion this cause.

But whatever. I still don't think Harbaugh let's him distract the team or himself from the primary objective of this trip.

#10 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think he needs to focus 100% on the game, not 99% on it.

Mod note: this thread is done as soon as it gets political.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew it was either already done or had a mod a post in it.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#11 blackandpurplesacks

blackandpurplesacks

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

i dunno who all of that is aimed at after the first paragraph but it shouldn't be me. I don't care what they do in their time off, but when he's on the podium with the ravens logo behind him, in ravens clothing, that's ravens time, not his own personal opinion time.

While I agree that its "Ravens time", do you think the media is not going to ask Ray about what happened 13 years ago in Atlanta? You can almost guarantee that those questions come up.

#12 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

True. And remember, many of the players have their own foundations for one cause or another, many for needy children. They use their position as Ravens to further those causes. What is the difference? A pet cause is a cause, regardless. I am sure if a reporter asked Rice about his foundation he wouldnt deign to answer because it was superbowl time.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#13 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm honestly getting tired of Ayanbadejo. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his views, but I'm just tired of hearing him talk at this point. He's not performing on the field, and I feel like that's where his sole focus should be at a time like this. I'm not criticizing him for speaking his mind, but is the Super Bowl really the correct stage to do such a thing?

#14 bmorefan444

bmorefan444

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

he is using this stage as a way to share an issue that is important to him. as long as he is focused on the game on Sunday, which he will be, I'm fine with that.

I just want our players to stay out of trouble. that's when focus is lost.
"That's once again the same people who told me I was too small, the same people who said I couldn't win a Super Bowl with our offense, the same people who said I couldn't play in a 3-4, ... Are they with me when I get up every morning at 6:30 to go to work? The day I lose a step is the day I lose love for the game." Ray Lewis

#15 Fang

Fang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

An interview at the Superbowl is not his own "personal" time. What he says reflects on the team. Don't forget the OP has the same right Brendan does in regards to speaking his opinion, and so do I.

Brendan has picked a bad time to display his politics. With the tweet before the New England game Brendan has already proven he cannot be trusted with sound judgement. The trip should be about winning a Championship only and nothing else. You cannot say with 100% certainly that this won't be a distraction. I can say, however, if Brendan doesn't bring this up it will not be a distraction. I don't care about his politics. I only want to see my team win a World Championship.

#16 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

That's pretty naive there sir/madam. EVERYTHING a player says or does whether in the offseason, regular season or post season not only reflects on him but on the organization as well. They don't HAVE their own time when they put themselves in the spotlight on Twitter or in front of cameras or even on the phone doing an interview with a reporter. They don't HAVE that luxury. I mean, Anna Burns Welker doesn't even play on the Patriots, but her comments about Ray Lewis made the entire Patriots organization look 'classless' just like Mrs. Brady's (no, the actual Mrs. Brady) comments did last year. The plain truth of the matter is that BA is certainly choosing strange times to open foot/insert mouth late this year and it's pretty disconcerting. I don't care if he wants to champioin gay marriage or whatever he's doing, but to do it now? At this time? It's just not smart and a little bit weird.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#17 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

There is a time and place for every thing...
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#18 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

My only disliked Raven.. ahhhh.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#19 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Here's the thing. If a reporter puts the question to him, and he comes out for same sex marriage in his response, that's all good. I have no issue with that at all. However, for him to decide to use this venue to promote his personal opinions is an entirely different matter. This is not about HIM nor whatever opinions he holds on any subject. This is about football and the team. Save your personal agendas for after the game.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#20 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Harbaugh should nix this before it even starts...he will have plenty of time to do the talk show circuit after Sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users