Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmypowder

Saturday Night Live - Ray Lewis parody

59 posts in this topic

I just reminded myself "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" while I was watching that! lol

[quote name='Grendelwulf21' timestamp='1359331266' post='1332495']
SNL kinda lost it's touch
[/quote]
years and years and years and years ago.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1359332181' post='1332523']
years and years and years and years ago.
[/quote]
Yeah, hahaha

[quote name='Grendelwulf21' timestamp='1359331266' post='1332495']
SNL kinda lost it's touch
[/quote]

They lost their touch about 20 years ago. Talk about a "player" that needs to retire. It is now just sad and painful to watch. I guess I am showing my age because I remember when SNL was actually funny.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1359334439' post='1332557']
They lost their touch about 20 years ago. Talk about a "player" that needs to retire. It is now just sad and painful to watch. I guess I am showing my age because I remember when SNL was actually funny.
[/quote]

:th_consoling2:

I'm right there with you, man.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1359334439' post='1332557']
[/quote]
[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1359337237' post='1332581']
I'm right there with you, man.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Agreed. I really miss the days of Dan Aykroyd, Jim & John Belushi, Dana Carvey, Michael Myers, Billy Crystal, Robert Downey Jr., Al Franken, Christopher Guest, Anthony Michael Hall, Chris Kattan, Will Ferrell, Jon Lovitz, Norm MacDonald, Dennis Miller, Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray... just to name a few... :P[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]However, I've said this to people dozens of times.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Keep in mind, in those days, comedy TV (and TV in general) was just 'coming of age'; so, all those jokes your great-great-grandfathers passed down to your great-grandfather and your father... all of that material went unscripted, unpublished... and SNL did a great job of putting it into great skits.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Now, the feeder system for new comedy has came to a screeching halt and we're stuck with the equivalent of toilet humor. Kind of why I enjoy watching shows from the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s. Everything after that, just recycled garbage.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]This skit... I give 4-out-of-10 stars. Just cause I liked Keenan back in the day on "Keenan & Kel".[/i][/font]

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1359340050' post='1332629']
Wait. When we win the Superbowl, are they going to have Flacco host an episode?
[/quote]

Yeah maybe he can do a deadpan skit ! Ha .

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1359340050' post='1332629']
Wait. When we win the Superbowl, are they going to have Flacco host an episode?
[/quote]

That might possibly be the most awkward episode of SNL ever made. No offense to Joe, love the guy, but it would definitely be funny!

Worst impression ever..What has happened to SNL the past few of years? I used to love watching that show.

[quote name='IH EART DA RAVENS' timestamp='1359344110' post='1332758']
That might possibly be the most awkward episode of SNL ever made. No offense to Joe, love the guy, but it would definitely be funny!
[/quote]
No way RAy Lewis doesn't host that.

This was irritating to watch in the least, and insulting at its worse.

I mean seriously, does anyone here think that Ray Lewis is disingenuous about his faith or that Ray's "passion" is all an act?

So what if a guy wears their heart on their sleeve?

I have nothing against them spoofing anybody. That is what comedy is about. That was just very poorly written. One other thing about comedy, it is supposed to be funny.

I think the first few words he said was funny because he actually sounded like Ray. Everything else just sucked. Keenan is not funny even accidentally. SNL sucks btw too

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1359354518' post='1332993']

I mean seriously, does anyone here think that Ray Lewis is disingenuous about his faith or that Ray's "passion" is all an act?

[/quote]
[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1359375138' post='1333053']
It was more mocking, than a parody.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Maybe we are just hyper sensitive, but this skit just plain sucked.

That was HORRIBLE. Not even close to being funny in my eyes. I have no problem getting a good laugh on a Ray parody... but that was bad.

Mickey from 98Rock actually does a good one.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1359354518' post='1332993']

[/quote]
Its a bit funny and no different when they did the Tebow skit (which was probably the only gem on snl for years. The Stephen A skit shoulda made it). Don't get me wrong, the skit as a whole was a flop, but the ascend into heaven part got a chuckle out of me. Its meant to be a blown out of proportion. It wasn't done well, but its nothing to get upset over.

I'm sure if the do a skit on Jim Harbaugh, it will be centered around over exaggerations of Jim's temper tantrums when things dont go his way.

Not the best, but they have gone down hill for a very long time....although the part about ascending into Heaven from the 50 yard line did make me laugh.....

I think it was pretty funny. Almost as funny as the biden/ryan skit. They may not be as good as they were in yesteryear, but every so often they hit on it and its funny.

Am I the only one who didn't find this that funny? The SNL comedian didn't get any of Ray's mannerisms correct. Heck, he missed on the "No weapon formed against us" line. What makes good comedy to me is there's a certain amount of realism in it. Well, the line about driving into a ditch was pretty good.

Am I the only one who completely didn't understand the eye twitch? I can't recall Ray ever doing that...

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1359390614' post='1333159']
Am I the only one who completely didn't understand the eye twitch? I can't recall Ray ever doing that...
[/quote]

yeah i dont get that

The ascend into heaven like was funny, there were other parts that got a chuckle, but him half-assing the squirrel dance at the end, come on man! There's tons of YouTube videos of the dance, he could have at least tried to do it right.

They could at least give him some pads so he doesn't look like a fat fan in a Ray Lewis jersey. If he's gonna dress up as Ray, after all, Ray doesn't go around wearing his jersey everywhere he goes.

Eh, I wasn't offended by it I just didn't think it was all that lulz worthy. i did like the, 'I wear earplugs when i'm on the field to block out the sounds of my own screams,' line though :lol:

The thing with making fun of Ray Lewis here is you are making fun of his faith, passion, and love that he has for the game, all of those around him, and life itself. I'll be one of the first Ravens' fans to say that the way Ray expresses himself does get old and honestly I do get sort of tired of it to be honest, I am not a religious person really at all. I certainly understand how it can rub people who are not fans the wrong way.

But as I said, this is geniunely who Ray Lewis is. I fully believe that and anyone who knows him will confirm that. And now to make fun of it as though it is some schtick that he is putting on for attention to get a few cheap laughs? Give me a break. The only reason I give SNL a pseudo-pass here is because I did like Kenan Thompson from Kenan & Kel and Goodburger, and because SNL has been completely irrelevant since the late 90s (if not, arguably before that), haha...

The last two years they've been weak. I haven't liked any of the ones I saw.

10 seconds of Frank Caliendo > SNL kits all day...but that's not fair

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1359413262' post='1333528']
The last two years they've been weak. I haven't liked any of the ones I saw.

10 seconds of Frank Caliendo > SNL kits all day...but that's not fair
[/quote]
As a stand up comic, no one should be compared to Frank. He's a beast. As for the sketch, it ended stronger. The beginning was weak.