44 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Glass

Andrew Glass

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

I was watching the game on my DVR the other night again and I gave these 2 plays a few extra looks in slow mo.. Don't get me wrong the mayo hit was awesome how football should be but if you're going to call it on us his helmet did make contact with pittas facemask/helmet and he was defenseless and the ed reed fair catch hit on his punt return the NE guy actually was pushed into reed but his own teammate not blocked by a raven and it looked like he may of made helmet to helmet contact.. Has anyone heard about these plays, fines or anything?

#2 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

No fines on any of those plays, and i was calling for a penalty on the Ed Reed fair catch play. No idea why that wasn't called. Not much to say about the Mayo hit, from what i saw it was actually a clean hit, besides maybe the "defenseless" receiver stuff. Whatever, nothing we can do about it now.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#3 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Mayo's hit on Pitta was clean. That said, I just can't imagine Reed or Pollard doing the same thing without getting flagged. It seems impossible nowadays.

#4 Pathogen-

Pathogen-

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

i dont know. i threw my ravens pillow pet at my girlfriend's face when that mayo hit wasn't called.

she wasn't amused.

Posted Image

#5 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Spikes' hit had no more incidental helmet contact than Chykie's or Pollard's. Should've been flagged in terms of equal treatment. But Pitta got the TD on the next play.

I'm surprised they just let the hit on Reed go. They're normally stingy about that stuff. But again, I won't complain. It's something Harbaugh would send to the league office for clarification. Used to hear about him doing that a lot. Of course those were in games we lost at the expense of poor officiating.

#6 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

The fear that Pollard causes after blasting someone over the middle is worth a 15 yard penalty. The receivers we face seem to have weak psyches and get scared, and I'm expecting no less from Crabtree and Moss.

#7 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

The fear that Pollard causes after blasting someone over the middle is worth a 15 yard penalty. The receivers we face seem to have weak psyches and get scared, and I'm expecting no less from Crabtree and Moss.

To be fair, if I'd just been hit by Pollard I'd be thinking twice about going up for catches with him nearby. The new rules kind of encourage receivers to be softer than they were. They don't expect big hits any more and seem to be like deer in the headlights for the rest of the game after a big Pollard hit.

Edited by Clutch Ravens, 26 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#8 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I was watching the game on my DVR the other night again and I gave these 2 plays a few extra looks in slow mo.. Don't get me wrong the mayo hit was awesome how football should be but if you're going to call it on us his helmet did make contact with pittas facemask/helmet and he was defenseless and the ed reed fair catch hit on his punt return the NE guy actually was pushed into reed but his own teammate not blocked by a raven and it looked like he may of made helmet to helmet contact.. Has anyone heard about these plays, fines or anything?

I'm assuming the league isn't doing anything about these hits, since they've already passed out fines to other players in this game.

That hit on Reed is just digusting and I can't even comprehend how it wasn't FLAGGED or FINED. I mean, it's a FAIR CATCH. The officials might have multiple things to watch, but they sure as hell should be watching the person catching the ball to see where he caught it, and if he caught it or was interfered with. How a clear helmet-to-helmet hit on a fair catch is not called... just makes absolutely no sense. And I really wish more people were making a big deal out of this call than the Brady call.

As for the Mayo hit... the initial contact wasn't with the helmets. It was secondary contact. NOW, by the "letter of the law/rule" this should be fined and flagged because there was contact of helmets. But, just like Pollard's hit... I don't believe it is a bad hit and shouldn't be flagged or fined. Flacco pretty much set Pitta up to get rocked, it happens when defense is covering everyone well. For the record, I don't believe either Pollard or Ray Lewis's hit should be against the rules either. Ray Lewis's shoulder is what hit first, and Pollard only made secondary contact to the helmet.

What really digusts me is fans around the country are actully starting the believe that the Ravens are FAVORED by the officials. I mean... I never thought I'd live to see the day anyone actually said that.

#9 RavenFan28105

RavenFan28105

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Jerod Mayo had a clean hit and that was the way football needs to be played, as for the fair catch, yeah it was illegal but nothing was done. But the game is over and we're in the superbowl so we can drop this subject on fines.

#10 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...-hit-wes-welker

Pollard makes a proper football move and gets a 15k fine, Brady uses his leg to impale Reed on his cleats (not a football move) like a coward and gets hit with 10k fine.....Vernon Davis had to pay more regarding his damn socks. Roger Goodell is the worst commissioner we have ever had.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#11 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

The Mayo hit clean. I don't know why the hit on Reed wasn't flagged though.

#12 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Although I don't think any of those hits should be flags I felt that if they call those hits on Ravens every week then we should also benefit from them.

Plays like C.Brown hit where u can see the WR lower their head to brace for the hit means that they are defending themselves and thus aren't defenseless. It's ridiculous how defense players make a regular tackle offensive players ducking their heads and then get the catch and an extra 15 yards tacked on.

#13 tonyg6996

tonyg6996

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

The Mayo hit was NOT clean. He led with the shoulder and hit Pitta in the chest, but the crown of his helmet definitely caught Pitta in the chin area of the face mask. This is a flag. We got a penalty for something almost exactly like this against the Broncos.

I'm not saying it's right, but according to the new rules it should have been a penalty.

#14 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

The Mayo hit was NOT clean. He led with the shoulder and hit Pitta in the chest, but the crown of his helmet definitely caught Pitta in the chin area of the face mask. This is a flag. We got a penalty for something almost exactly like this against the Broncos.

I'm not saying it's right, but according to the new rules it should have been a penalty.

Godell gets money from Kraft.....

Always has been this way
Banned

#15 The King

The King

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

This is dead on. The crown of his helmet clearly goes right into Pitta's facemask, and that's a call I've seen made against us it seems like every week. A lot of the time I see that called against us after a receiver lowers himself into the plane of the tackler's helmet. Pitta didn't have time to even do that, which is the very definition of a defenseless receiver taking helmet to helmet contact. He made the TD on the next play, but before that the unfairness of the hit not getting called had me yelling at my TV.

#16 ravenraven

ravenraven

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Mayo's hit on Pitta was clean. That said, I just can't imagine Reed or Pollard doing the same thing without getting flagged. It seems impossible nowadays.

You are correct that it was a clean hit if they call it that way every time but they do not. The league has been calling these hits as defenseless when a player is not given a step after the catch. It is very rare in today's rules that when someone takes a shot like that they do not call a penalty. It should have been called.

#17 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

My only problem with the Mayo hit is that Ray Lewis got a flag ONE SERIES BEFORE THAT for the exact same hit!! Those refs were OBVIOUSLY biased towards the Pats. If BA goes into Welker after he makes a fair catch on a punt, BA's getting that flag 10/10, period. Reed? No problem I guess, right refs? The Super Bowl better be a clear cut, down the middle, parity type referee called game.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#18 Hardbaugh

Hardbaugh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I rewatched the game complete with many rewinds-

I didn't see it too well when it happened but can't understand why the Pats weren't flagged for the contact on Reed after the fair catch. I've never witnessed that not called unless the defender was blocked into the man by the opposing team, which we know didn't happen.

Ray got flagged for the hit on Hernandez but count the steps , all three of them. He was not a defenseless reciever and Ray was aiming for the body but Hernandez lowered his head into the striking zone.

On the other hand look at both the time elapsed and the viciousness of the Pitta hit. Pitta barely got both feet down and unlike Hernandez had no time at all to make a defensive move to protect himself from the Mayo impact. It was the epitome of a defenseless reciever, yet nothing from the officials.

We've seen in weeks past the Ravens get flagged for less in fact we've seen it numerous times in this game.

#19 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I rewatched the game complete with many rewinds-

I didn't see it too well when it happened but can't understand why the Pats weren't flagged for the contact on Reed after the fair catch. I've never witnessed that not called unless the defender was blocked into the man by the opposing team, which we know didn't happen.

Ray got flagged for the hit on Hernandez but count the steps , all three of them. He was not a defenseless reciever and Ray was aiming for the body but Hernandez lowered his head into the striking zone.

On the other hand look at both the time elapsed and the viciousness of the Pitta hit. Pitta barely got both feet down and unlike Hernandez had no time at all to make a defensive move to protect himself from the Mayo impact. It was the epitome of a defenseless reciever, yet nothing from the officials.

We've seen in weeks past the Ravens get flagged for less in fact we've seen it numerous times in this game.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of these types of hits next Sunday. We can only hope the calls are fair and equitable.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#20 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Haha, I remember being pissed about the Mayo hit on Pitta too. Despite it being a pretty clean hit (by real football standards), as others have said, we had already been flagged on ticky-tacky helmet to helmet contact in the game so I guess I was expecting the officiating to be consistent, who was I kidding? In any case, the best remedy to that play happened in game as it was: Pitta helping us take the lead for the last time we would need to. I told my buddy after the TD, "If I were Dennis i would walk right past the head ref [while doing an inappropriate hand gesture towards my crotch area] for not getting the same treatment the Pats' receivers were" haha

Edited by Corvus, 27 January 2013 - 09:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users