30 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Plus, Ozzie talks about Ed Reed's future, John Harbaugh's growth and the Cam Cameron firing.

View the full article

#2 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

"John has to stand before his coaching staff and his players, and if at any one point do they ever think that he's overly influenced by Steve or I, then he loses his staff and his players. It has to be him" - Oz

Ozzie Newsome = MAN

#3 jrs034

jrs034

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I hope Ed coaches for he Ravens one day that would be awesome

#4 ravensdog86

ravensdog86

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ed in the Organization as a Coach or as Developmental Personel either way sounds good to me..

Right after Ozzie, gets that 3-4 yr Retirement Contract Done for ED

Edited by Grapple Raven, 25 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.
Removed other player conctract talk to keep blog on topic

#5 Guest_D3x3001_*

Guest_D3x3001_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I really enjoy seeing Harbs take this team all the way. I'm sure the Eagles are kicking themselves for not letting him replace Andy Reid.

#6 drillem

drillem

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'd like to see Ed Reeds face around forever. And I hope at some point Ray Lewis can come back as the coordinator of spiritual affairs for the Ravens. Hat would really be awesom.

#7 BillicksEGO

BillicksEGO

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Just thinking. Shame that Heap, Mason, and JJ are not along for this ride, but that's what the NFL (not for long) is about.

#8 mearzunkies

mearzunkies

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Out of all of them I miss JJ the most EGO!

#9 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Re: Diversity hiring, let the lame organizations continue to operate in a lame manner. Those teams that do their homework and give guys a shot will continue to win.

There's a lot that goes into hiring and assessing talent and you can't possibly be doing a good job if you assume 1 candidate will be better than another candidate if you don't give all of them the time of day. KC hired a guy that went 4-12 that lost in his only Super Bowl appearance. Philly hired a guy that couldn't make his mind up about what he really wanted to do...nevermind the fact that that team fired one offensive guru to hire another established college offensive guru.

Every dog will have his day. The Perry Fewells and the Ray Hortons will have their time. Lovie Smith was smart to sit out because he will probably get the right opportunity in due time. Too bad for him he has the league's most undisciplined QB and too bad he had an Offensive Line/Tight Ends coach as his O-Coordinator.

Teams should learn from Pitt and Baltimore. Where on Earth would we be had we given a "more established" name a shot as opposed to meeting with only a handful of select guys. But like I said, let the lame be lame, let the teams that are serious about winning carry on with their winning

#10 ravens7575

ravens7575

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I've said it so many times before, but it never gets old. How freaking lucky are we to have Steve Bisciotti as our owner, Ozzie Newsome as our GM, and John Harbaugh as our Head Coach?

#11 crazyboutravens

crazyboutravens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

The NFL talks constantly about the FANS. I know in my heart that the salary cap is a necessity to keep the league in the front of all other sports. The "but" if you will is
I am sick of losing good players because of it. After we win the SB we stand to lose some
really good players that we worked hard to develop. I wish someone could come up with some
type of compromise that would allow teams to keep players for a longer period of time. Ray might be close to the last that will spend his entire career with the same team.

#12 sami

sami

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I'll bet JJ and cory redding are kicking themselves for not staying with the Ravens. I think they just figured out money isnt everything. Oh and Grubbs too

#13 bmore_kman

bmore_kman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'll bet JJ and cory redding are kicking themselves for not staying with the Ravens. I think they just figured out money isnt everything. Oh and Grubbs too

That's overly simplistic. Applies to Grubbs no doubt, but if I remember correctly JJ was not given any offer from the Ravens, and not much was done to retain Redding either. So portraying them as choosing money over team is inaccurate and not remotely fair. And even for Grubbs, well how many people in any field are going to say, hey, I think I'll turn down making more money so I can stay here with this company that I know can still get rid of me when they feel the need? Fans constantly hold athletes to standards they wouldn't accept for themselves...

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

#14 fusuymada

fusuymada

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Unfortunately, Sami, it wasn't all their choice. Same this coming year. We can't keep Cary Williams, Joe Flacco, Dannell Ellerbe, Paul Kruger, Ed Reed, and several others. That is the curse and benefit to the salary cap. In a perfect world, Ngata, Yanda, Rice and mostly Flacco who will be getting a big check, would realize that they can't win it by themselves and renegotiate their record contracts to allow a couple bucks for others. Unfortunately, if four people get all the money then nobody else does, that's the way it works. Manning and Brady both took salary cuts to allow cap space for other players. Let's see how much of team players these big dollar guys are on the Ravens...

#15 sami

sami

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

well bmore_kman. it seems to me they were given offers by the other teams and the Ravens couldnt match them becuz of the salery cap.

#16 charliebucket

charliebucket

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Don't forget Grubbs wasn't just going somewhere where he got more money, he also thought it gave him just as good if not a better shot at winning a Super Bowl. Then the bounty scandal unfolded...

Edited by charliebucket, 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#17 deryle

deryle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

flacco is going to have another good day lets hope he takes care of the ball

Edited by deryle, 25 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#18 chuckw

chuckw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'm going! Ravens - listen to the "O" chant during the anthem! We are there - with you - for you!!!

#19 TheRavenNest

TheRavenNest

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think if the teams have to keep to a salary cap. Then maybe there should be some kind of cap on how high a single players salary can go... I mean seriously, how much money does one need to have. It is really sick that every player in the league thinks he's worth $100 Mil.
Then most of them get all these millions and all the sudden they seem to not play as hard as they did before they got that payday... Or injured. If they have to keep paying these outrageous salaries then at least remove the cap then.(This is just my opinion, so don't freak out people !)

#20 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

I think if the teams have to keep to a salary cap. Then maybe there should be some kind of cap on how high a single players salary can go... I mean seriously, how much money does one need to have. It is really sick that every player in the league thinks he's worth $100 Mil.
Then most of them get all these millions and all the sudden they seem to not play as hard as they did before they got that payday... Or injured. If they have to keep paying these outrageous salaries then at least remove the cap then.(This is just my opinion, so don't freak out people !)

I don't like seeing one, two or a few player's salaries put a team into a hardship position but isn't that problem a part of the equation that must be solved to have a successful organization? I mean, if an organization spends up to the cap on a few players and as a result depletes the depth of their talent pool which results in back-to-back losing seasons then it becomes a mismanagement of funds problem caused by F.O. decisions. On the other hand, if an organization under pays and as a result causes the same losing results due to key top players leaving for greener wallets then it is also a mismanagement problem of the F.O.

A number of very fine lines determines the balance needed to have a successful run at the top including the health of athletes, the coaching staff and a few fortunate bounces of the football.

Edited by HoldingCall, 26 January 2013 - 05:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users