Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Militant X 1

There Seems to be a Superbowl Referee Controversy Brewing!

42 posts in this topic

the players and teams aren't even in New Orleans yet (perhaps on their way now) and the game hasn't even been played. but there seems to be a controversy brewing with the referees in how they are selected for a game of this magnitude. maaan! i really hope our Ravens take these cats out of the game by opening up quick, fast and in a hurry on both sides of the ball to get the win vs the 49ers. don't leave it in the hands of the refs! go Ravens!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--officials-question-nfl-s-process-for-selecting-super-bowl-referee-145832403.html

~Mili

Jerome Boger botched alot of calls in the past. This game can be a close game considering how evenly matched it is.

I am hoping he can have players play the game. One or 2 botched calls and we can lose b/c of the refs.

Interesting.. The league giving Boger's grades an inflation because they want to increase diversity in the referees for the super bowl? A bunch of political bull.

What about Mike Carey, one of the most beloved zebras beside Ed Hoculi? [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3447256"]Source[/url]

The Refs were against us during Denver and Pats game so it really don't matter to our players; they just need to play the best game of their lives......

There's gonna be alot of BS calls next week......hate it....

Speaki[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng of referees, I'm still amazed that the Rave[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ns/Patriots game was able to stay i[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n si[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ngle digits whe[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n it came to the amou[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nt of pe[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nalties called, eve[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n [i]with [/i]Bill "Freaki[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng" Leavy officiati[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng the match-up...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nyways, does a[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nyo[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ne have a lowdow[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n Jerome Boger? Has he made "bad" calls i[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n the past a[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nd is this [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]necessarily [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]not a good thi[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng, that Boger was selected? I do[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n't k[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]now, but there just seems to be so much distrust betwee[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n the [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]NFL a[/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nd their refs, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nowadays; creati[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng a[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n all-star team of referees results i[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]n [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]no chemistry amo[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng the group a[/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]nd it must be aggravati[/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng that there's [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]no [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]positio[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ni[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng/power for these refs (i.e. [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]No referee sta[/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nds-out as bei[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ng the best; the league just picks whoever for a[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ny game.)...[/font][/color]

[quote name='BallHawker' timestamp='1359145528' post='1330521']
Interesting.. The league giving Boger's grades an inflation because they want to increase diversity in the referees for the super bowl? A bunch of political bull.

What about Mike Carey, one of the most beloved zebras beside Ed Hoculi? [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3447256"]Source[/url]
[/quote]

That's what I was going to say. He's done the Super Bowl before too.

If anything, the refs might back off, so they don't become vilified. They don't want to make the same mistakes that were made during the Seahawks' sole Super Bowl. They might be much more lenient when it comes to holding and pass interference calls.

Boger is my least favorite official. I can't necessarily come up with one glaring bad call that stands out (not that he doesn't have any, because all officials do), but he just never seems to have a very good handle on what's going on. His explanations are slow and always involved more conversation with the other officials than is necessary.
I'm hoping, as I do every year, that officials play a minimal role in the Super Bowl, especially THIS Super Bowl.

I don't understand why they don't just have Hochuil do it every year. He's the most famous ref and arguably the best, he should be working the biggest stage.

We will be fine against the refs. We are the better team, that's going to make all the difference.

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1359159562' post='1330763']
We will be fine against the refs. We are the better team, that's going to make all the difference.
[/quote]
I have had to Barricade myself in my own house here in SF. Talks bout Kap being best QB in the NFL are killing

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1359159707' post='1330766']
I have had to Barricade myself in my own house here in SF. Talks bout Kap being best QB in the NFL are killing
[/quote]lol you will be fine. Raven Nation is never to far away.

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1359160295' post='1330775']
lol you will be fine. Raven Nation is never to far away.
[/quote]
Kap is a good QB and all, but Flacco has been hot, and that Defense is overrated imho

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1359160342' post='1330777']
Kap is a good QB and all, but Flacco has been hot, and that Defense is overrated imho
[/quote]We will beat them, i think this particular game will be to big for a rookie. If the refs control the game, we will have to beat them too.

[quote name='cursona pirate' timestamp='1359154837' post='1330660']
Down with these Zebras.
[/quote]

Yeah! Who do they think they are running around with those stripes and throwing yellow flags.
Down with these zebras!

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1359160802' post='1330786']
If the refs control the game, we will have to beat them too.
[/quote]

We did it last week and if need be we can do it again.

I'm not really sure where the NFL came up with their individual grading of referees.

I feel like referees should be graded as a team, and the best teams get to play in the playoffs. Having a group of referees that aren't used to working with each other, in the most important games of the year just seems stupid to me.

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1359160802' post='1330786']
We will beat them, i think this particular game will be to big for a rookie. If the refs control the game, we will have to beat them too.
[/quote]
Like we did in New England this year ! Lol .

Here are [url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/officials/BogeJe0r.htm"]his stat lines[/url]

He's the ref Cam Newton [url="http://www.footballzebras.com/2012/12/26/5968/"]had issues with[/url]

[url="http://www.football-refs.com/active-refs/jerome-boger/"]Boger Bio[/url]

Oh My Carey Williams is going to[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/adventures-in-officiating-are-you-bleeping-kidding-us-jerome-boger?urn=nfl,wp14570"] have a baaaaad day[/url]

Hes also messed with [url="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/tag/_/name/jerome-boger"]the Niners too[/url]

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1359165420' post='1330871']
Dude looks like a zombie in the pic on that website lmao...
[img]http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2013/01/25/boger-jpg_145715.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
Bath Salts?

Meh. Get this kinda crap outta your heads.

If we play the dominant football I know we can we wont have to worry about these clowns.

Onwards and upwards.

GO RAVENS!!!!