Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AussiieeRavens

Should Cary Williams return?

66 posts in this topic

Should we sign Cary Williams to a new deal?
i believe we shouldnt cause we wont have the money and last year he wanted 3 years for $15
he is good but not the no.1 cornerback we need he get beaten quietly easily and the only reason people mainly think he is good is due to his interceptions

we have webb, smith, brown and graham so i reckon we dont need to sign him to an extension

your thoughts thanks!

He's going to be priced out by other teams needing corners. The Ravens won't be able to afford him because they already have money tied up in Webb, have been grooming replacements and have to fill other needs.

at the money he's asking for and looking at the youngsters we got, he'll not be back

Williams will almost certainly not be here next year, and honestly we don't need him. It would be a luxury, but his price will leave a return near out of the question.

I feel bad for the team that picks him up, he's going to be hugely overpaid and the fanbase will assume he's a shutdown corner.

He should return a pick for 6. Then he will be overpaid by another dumb team with a poor FO!

Okay, okay. This is getting out of hand now. I'm not a fan of Williams. But then some of this hate he is getting is really unjustified. Williams can be a #1 CB. If he goes to the right team, he could be feared. He needs a team that has a good pass rush with man coverage. You give him those two things and you will see him as a top CB. Webb is better than Williams for sure, but Williams isn't trash or anything.

The Niners would be a good fit for him. Really good fit.

[quote name='EricH' timestamp='1359124745' post='1330123']
How much will Revis demand?
[/quote]
Revis wants Mario williams money, so 60 million guaranteed. Basically what we're paying Joe.

We will not be able to or want to afford him. I don't think he's that great anyways and he always seems to be complaining about something. I think we will be better off without him and his attitude.

I cringe when I see him throw his arms up or make his pouty face - not a Raven imo.

[quote name='AussiieeRavens' timestamp='1359122188' post='1330086']

i believe we shouldnt cause we wont have the money [b]and last year he wanted 3 years for $15[/b]

[/quote]

Someone will obviously correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought we [i]OFFERED[/i] him a 3 year/$15 M deal and he turned it down because he wanted more.

Just want to get your facts straight.......

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1359129328' post='1330204']
Someone will obviously correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought we [i]OFFERED[/i] him a 3 year/$15 M deal and he turned it down because he wanted more.

[/quote]

We did offer him that, but he didn't turn it down because he thought the overall value was too little. He wanted more guaranteed money for security for his family. I think we offered $3 million in guaranteed and he wanted $7 million or something along those lines.

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1359129328' post='1330204']

[/quote]
I think he wanted 8-9 million a year. I remember reading something to that effect.

I'd be surprised if anyone wanted him back. He's struggled for the most part over two years and the team already has five talented CBs under contract for next year.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1359127088' post='1330155']
I feel bad for the team that picks him up, he's going to be hugely overpaid and the fanbase will assume he's a shutdown corner.
[/quote]

I don't know about this.... Other teams can watch film and view his inadequacies.

That said, I sure do hope he shows up and has a monster SB. He is our weakest link.

In a perfect world, yes we should. But the reality is that we're pressed right up to the cap limit. We can't afford to retain everybody and you can't overpay at a position when you have younger cheaper talent waiting in the wings.

I'm just hoping and praying Webby comes back at full strength I remember him taking a while to find his form after his first injury and I'm just worried that we invested a large sum of money into a player at a crucial position that will never be the same :(

Well prior to this season the FO liked him enough to offer a fair contract. Now, he'll be priced out of our range on the open market. Good news is we do have the depth at corner to withstand the loss of Williams.

No need for all the hate on the man though. He got burned a few times this season and he hasn't been a shutdown corner by any stretch, but he's done well for us overall.

Not hating, I agree he has done okay. But I agree that he will be priced out of our budget and actually, I think priced beyond his worth, at least to us. We have a bunch of good CBs now, so we really cannot afford to overpay him. He is definietly good enough to get a much better deal than we could afford. So unless he is looking to give us a hometown discount, then he is gone. We are going to lose a bunch of good players this off season.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1359131034' post='1330246']
We could use that money for Ellerbe/Kruger.
[/quote]

Kruger may be in the same position as Williams. Priced out of our budget range. That would be a real loss for us since we do not have a lot of back-up at pass rush.

I don't think so, I actually like Carey but we have so much more key free agents to figure out. I'd rather keep Kruger and Ellerbe, plus the emergence of Brown, Graham, and Jimmy smith getting healthy will make us forget about him

Wish we could keep C.Williams, much rather have him than J.Smith. But with needing to keep KRUGER AND ELLERBE, i just don't see it happening.

When the year started I thought we needed to resign him. You can never have enough decent corners. Cary Williams is exactly that - a decent corner. But now we have other options with Chykie Brown and Corey Graham. Webb will be back and we still have Jimmy Smith. Plus Asa Jackson is still on the roster. Unless Williams can be had for cheap (and I doubt it), let him walk. That money can be used else where.

He was way, way way, better late in the season than he was in the beginning.
Webb will be back next season. I dont think Jimmy can handle the other side.

I also think Cary wants more than Baltimore is willing to pay. Other teams on the other hand...

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1359127540' post='1330162']
Okay, okay. This is getting out of hand now. I'm not a fan of Williams. But then some of this hate he is getting is really unjustified. Williams can be a #1 CB. If he goes to the right team, he could be feared. He needs a team that has a good pass rush with man coverage. You give him those two things and you will see him as a top CB. Webb is better than Williams for sure, but Williams isn't trash or anything.

The Niners would be a good fit for him. Really good fit.
[/quote]

I honestly see Reed and Williams going to the Colts next year.

We are deep with average to above average corners. Sorry, Cary! Play your heart out next Sunday and go earn a massive payday from someone else. This is not to say I wouldn't want him back, just the reality of the situation!