Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dudeman

Super Bowl Locations

42 posts in this topic

The history of the Super Bowl has a long storied tradition of playing in a fair weather venue.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

But some of the best games in NFL history have been played in the elements like the Ice Bowl in '67, or the recent Ravens vs Broncos this year in the divisional round.

I understand the logisitics are difficult, but it seems like the NFL is taking a chance by bringing the Super Bowl to New York next year.

I would love to host a Super Bowl here in Baltimore, and apparently Seattle is putting in their bid for being a future Super Bowl site.

My question is what are our chances of hosting the Super Bowl? What do we need to do to become a hosting city?

Have a butt load of hotels and a fresh staduim... Don't want a repeat of what happened in Jacksonville

Have a butt load of hotels and a fresh staduim... Don't want a repeat of what happened in Jacksonville

If you include the Baltimore-Washington area, we probably have one of the highest number of hotels within an hour of our stadium - so we've got that covered.

As for a fresh stadium, M&T Bank certainly isn't the freshest, but I'd say it's definitely in the top half of NFL stadiums.

If you include the Baltimore-Washington area, we probably have one of the highest number of hotels within an hour of our stadium - so we've got that covered.

As for a fresh stadium, M&T Bank certainly isn't the freshest, but I'd say it's definitely in the top half of NFL stadiums.

I've done some traveling and while there are a lot of nice stadiums around the league, I'd still put ours in the top 5.

Maybe I am just biased, but based on the location of the stadium; in the Inner Harbor and situated with a nice view of Camden Yards and the Bay, and I say it's a complete package kind of deal. The stadium itself is state of the art!

Edited by Dudeman

True, and tbh you can make stadiums look better cosmetically in short time. Look at Superdome in New Orleans. That place use to be a dump. Now it looks pretty amazing after Mercedes started sponsoring the area, They put few lights,seats, and altered few things to make it look like a gem.

Edited by Ravenseconbeast

Fresh stadium, I think we have proven that we don't need to make new stadiums just to upgrade to a more fancy one. The Ravens have made upgrades to The Bank that still keep it in the top five of the best stadiums in the league.

Plus with Camden Yards close by, we could hold Super Bowl related events(games, activities for kids, etc) at Camden Yards, or put that stuff inside the convention center. Baltimore would have a good shot at getting it but most likely would lose out since we aren't a big enough cold weather market like New York.

Capacity for Past Super bowl stadiums and B-more

Dallas- 80,000-100,000 with standing room Indy-70,000

New Orleans-76,000 NY- 83,000

Baltimore- 71,000

Excluding Indy, Baltimore is relatively small and is an outdoor stadium. While Indy holds less, it is a dome and weather is not a factor. Plus each of these cities are hugely populated and popular, while Baltimore is much smaller in size. I'd love a Baltimore SB but I'm also alright with other cities just hosting us every year ;P

Capacity for Past Super bowl stadiums and B-more

Dallas- 80,000-100,000 with standing room Indy-70,000

New Orleans-76,000 NY- 83,000

Baltimore- 71,000

Excluding Indy, Baltimore is relatively small and is an outdoor stadium. While Indy holds less, it is a dome and weather is not a factor. Plus each of these cities are hugely populated and popular, while Baltimore is much smaller in size. I'd love a Baltimore SB but I'm also alright with other cities just hosting us every year ;P

Indy is hardly a city, and a thousand people is still a thousand people.

Buffalo stadium is bigger than the bank.

Big deal, the Bills will be playing in Toronto full time pretty soon.

I think the biggest drawback for us hosting the Super Bowl are the following:

Traffic. We have terrible traffic. Very poor coordination as well. The grand prix was not well organized in terms of traffic and I doubt a Super Bowl would be even more organized.

Seating. While we have more seats than Indy, I think the fact that we don't have a dome and the next point will doom us.

Crime. Our reputation for crime is not very good. Not too far away from the stadium you have robberies, homicides, rapes, among other things. Sure, all cities have this but not necessarily so close. Also, other cities are major cities such as NY, New Orleans, etc.

I just don't see it happening. Not sure I want it to happen, either. It would be a mess for traffic.

The one in NY next year should be telling, I remember they had the SB in the Pontiac Dome and almost need the National Guard to get the teams in, one of the Atlanta SB there was an ice storm.

The traffic situation is probably the biggest. The Super Bowl pretty much consists of 66% fans from each team and 33% rich people, athletes, singers, etc. who go to the game every year. Traffic would be horrible and would be very expensive to fix.

We need a bigger stadium as well. We might be able to get it if we could fit 20,000 more people.

The traffic situation is probably the biggest. The Super Bowl pretty much consists of 66% fans from each team and 33% rich people, athletes, singers, etc. who go to the game every year. Traffic would be horrible and would be very expensive to fix.

We need a bigger stadium as well. We might be able to get it if we could fit 20,000 more people.

Traffic will be the BIGGEST problem. If the city of Baltimore could ever figure out a way to make traffic smoother down town around the stadium, then traffic wouldn't be an issue at all for the Ravens games or the Orioles games. They could expand the roads and add 2 more lanes to accommodate the traffic but that would be hard as anything because where do you expand the roads at.

Big deal, the Bills will be playing in Toronto full time pretty soon.

Uhm no they won't. I live in Bills country. Bills fans are very dedicated to there team. Jim Kelly wouldent allow that to happen either.

49ers new stadium will hold under 70k and they are a favorite to get one of the next few Super Bowls after the stadium is built.

Sometimes there are ways to add seats similar to what they did in Dallas.

I think infastructure of hte surroudning area (hotels, roads, capability) is more important than a 10k seat difference.

If Ravens want to bid then I think they are taking bids for 2017 or something right now, correct?

49ers new stadium will hold under 70k and they are a favorite to get one of the next few Super Bowls after the stadium is built.

Sometimes there are ways to add seats similar to what they did in Dallas.

I think infastructure of hte surroudning area (hotels, roads, capability) is more important than a 10k seat difference.

If Ravens want to bid then I think they are taking bids for 2017 or something right now, correct?

Niners new stadium will have the weather advantage and better traffic . I used to live near where they are building it in California .

A Super Bowl in Baltimore or Washington would equate to no one moving on 95 or on the surrounding major roads. Traffic nightmare would be an understatement.

I think the biggest drawback for us hosting the Super Bowl are the following:

Traffic. We have terrible traffic. Very poor coordination as well. The grand prix was not well organized in terms of traffic and I doubt a Super Bowl would be even more organized.

Seating. While we have more seats than Indy, I think the fact that we don't have a dome and the next point will doom us.

Crime. Our reputation for crime is not very good. Not too far away from the stadium you have robberies, homicides, rapes, among other things. Sure, all cities have this but not necessarily so close. Also, other cities are major cities such as NY, New Orleans, etc.

I just don't see it happening. Not sure I want it to happen, either. It would be a mess for traffic.

Can't say I agree, and I always agree with your posts!

Traffic isn't great, but it beats DC, Richmond, and Philly by a country mile.

There isn't a bad seat in our house period. They have these standing seats at the Eagles/Cowboys stadiums that are simply awful.

Our Crime rate has been out of the top 10 for years. We're simply coasting on "rep" as a crime city.

Can't say I agree, and I always agree with your posts!

Traffic isn't great, but it beats DC, Richmond, and Philly by a country mile.

There isn't a bad seat in our house period. They have these standing seats at the Eagles/Cowboys stadiums that are simply awful.

Our Crime rate has been out of the top 10 for years. We're simply coasting on "rep" as a crime city.

In terms of crime rate, we are coasting on reputation. But we're not a big city like LA or NYC, so it'll be tough for us to beat them due to that. And while Baltimore's traffic is not as bad as NYC, NYC has alternative methods of transport. Same for DC.

But has Landover had a Super Bowl there? I don't think so but I could be wrong. This DC-Baltimore Metro area is one of the worst in the country for traffic. Not as bad as NOVA, but it still can get bad. You know a lot of Maryland drivers go crazy, and then if it snows or rains Lord help us, lol.

The stadium is fine. I think our stadium is good, honestly. I just think we have a lot of factors working against us.

Flacco just brought up that he thinks cold weather Super Bowls are stupid, and he is someone I thought would be for that idea. Flacco has played really well in cold weather games, so I gotta think that he feels this way because fair weather favors offenses.

From a defensive standpoint, and from a defensive minded fanbase of course cold weather Super Bowl would be awesome. Yet it seems like the players, and league in general are against the idea and have been for a long time.

I guess the New York Super Bowl next year will be very telling as far as how the players, fans, and media all respond.

Flacco just brought up that he thinks cold weather Super Bowls are stupid, and he is someone I thought would be for that idea. Flacco has played really well in cold weather games, so I gotta think that he feels this way because fair weather favors offenses.

From a defensive standpoint, and from a defensive minded fanbase of course cold weather Super Bowl would be awesome. Yet it seems like the players, and league in general are against the idea and have been for a long time.

I guess the New York Super Bowl next year will be very telling as far as how the players, fans, and media all respond.

It's pretty warm here in East Rutherford, New Jersey! 50 F today.

I'm so proud that New Jersey will be hosting the Super Bowl next year! If I have enough in the piggy bank, I'll definitely go! The afterparties are going to be crazy, too!

0dpuou8he7cvd1obfwhm9wofa.gif

Here is the scoop. Right now, Baltimore at the earliest can bid on Super Bowl 53 and beyond if they were indeed wanting to bring a Super Bowl to Baltimore. Super Bowl 48 is in New York/New Jersey, Super Bowl 49 is in Arizona. The host city for the 50th Super Bowl will be announced sometime early this year and will either be awarded to Miami or San Francisco (the new 49ers stadium that is being built). Whichever city between Miami and SF that doesn't get awarded Super Bowl 50 will be thrown in immediately to compete with Houston for the rights to hosting Super Bowl 51.

PFT posted this article today stating that seven teams are ready to bid on Super Bowl 52... and the host cities that are lining up for Super Bowl 52, it's interesting. Now keep in mind that both Miami and San Clara would be out of the running if they host either Super Bowl 50 or 51 and Houston could be out dwindling it down to four.

According to Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the cities believed to be interested in hosting the game include New Orleans, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, and San Francisco.

Now as you can see both New Orleans and Dallas are interested in hosting other Super Bowls, but the two wild cards are Denver and Minneapolis. The Vikings are getting a new stadium and the Super Bowl would be played there. It will be very interesting to see if Denver gets a Super Bowl.

So there is the update and the latest it seems is if Baltimore wanted a Super Bowl, we have to look at 53 or 54 at the earliest.

Here is the scoop. Right now, Baltimore at the earliest can bid on Super Bowl 53 and beyond if they were indeed wanting to bring a Super Bowl to Baltimore. Super Bowl 48 is in New York/New Jersey, Super Bowl 49 is in Arizona. The host city for the 50th Super Bowl will be announced sometime early this year and will either be awarded to Miami or San Francisco (the new 49ers stadium that is being built). Whichever city between Miami and SF that doesn't get awarded Super Bowl 50 will be thrown in immediately to compete with Houston for the rights to hosting Super Bowl 51.

PFT posted this article today stating that seven teams are ready to bid on Super Bowl 52... and the host cities that are lining up for Super Bowl 52, it's interesting. Now keep in mind that both Miami and San Clara would be out of the running if they host either Super Bowl 50 or 51 and Houston could be out dwindling it down to four.

Now as you can see both New Orleans and Dallas are interested in hosting other Super Bowls, but the two wild cards are Denver and Minneapolis. The Vikings are getting a new stadium and the Super Bowl would be played there. It will be very interesting to see if Denver gets a Super Bowl.

So there is the update and the latest it seems is if Baltimore wanted a Super Bowl, we have to look at 53 or 54 at the earliest.

Also pleased that Phoenix will be getting the Super Bowl in 2 years! What a lovely location! Super Bowls 50 and 51 are going to be great too! Can't go wrong with South Beach, the Bay and H-Town!

well I love snow games, so I hope that they have a cold city every other year and hopefully the weather is right for it.

I'm good with that. Perhaps every other year ill be able to afford to go!

This goes with this topic but it seems if the weather is bad, the NFL has a plan in place to reschedule... yes the NFL would indeed reschedule the Super Bowl due to weather.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/19/nfls-super-bowl-weather-plan-includes-rescheduling-game/

f it’s necessary due to matters of public safety or there are impracticalities, then rescheduling scenarios have to be considered,” executive V.P. of events Frank Supovitz said Wednesday.  “Saturday would be as early as we would consider at this point.  We have contingencies that take us into Monday and Tuesday.”

Well if Denver still wants a Super Bowl, that will hinge on the weather in NJ come Feb. If they reschedule the game because of snow, Denver will never host a Super Bowl. 

If by chance the soft NFL says they will reschedule it, does it mean they should no longer consider cold weather cities or try it again and not just base it off one time?