41 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

The history of the Super Bowl has a long storied tradition of playing in a fair weather venue.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history

But some of the best games in NFL history have been played in the elements like the Ice Bowl in '67, or the recent Ravens vs Broncos this year in the divisional round.

I understand the logisitics are difficult, but it seems like the NFL is taking a chance by bringing the Super Bowl to New York next year.

I would love to host a Super Bowl here in Baltimore, and apparently Seattle is putting in their bid for being a future Super Bowl site.

My question is what are our chances of hosting the Super Bowl? What do we need to do to become a hosting city?

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Have a butt load of hotels and a fresh staduim... Don't want a repeat of what happened in Jacksonville

z66oxxi.jpg

#3 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,932 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Have a butt load of hotels and a fresh staduim... Don't want a repeat of what happened in Jacksonville

If you include the Baltimore-Washington area, we probably have one of the highest number of hotels within an hour of our stadium - so we've got that covered.

As for a fresh stadium, M&T Bank certainly isn't the freshest, but I'd say it's definitely in the top half of NFL stadiums.

#4 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

If you include the Baltimore-Washington area, we probably have one of the highest number of hotels within an hour of our stadium - so we've got that covered.

As for a fresh stadium, M&T Bank certainly isn't the freshest, but I'd say it's definitely in the top half of NFL stadiums.

I've done some traveling and while there are a lot of nice stadiums around the league, I'd still put ours in the top 5.

Maybe I am just biased, but based on the location of the stadium; in the Inner Harbor and situated with a nice view of Camden Yards and the Bay, and I say it's a complete package kind of deal. The stadium itself is state of the art!

Edited by Dudeman, 24 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

True, and tbh you can make stadiums look better cosmetically in short time. Look at Superdome in New Orleans. That place use to be a dump. Now it looks pretty amazing after Mercedes started sponsoring the area, They put few lights,seats, and altered few things to make it look like a gem.

Edited by Ravenseconbeast, 24 January 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#6 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Why was this moved? I thought it was Ravens specific....

#7 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,183 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Fresh stadium, I think we have proven that we don't need to make new stadiums just to upgrade to a more fancy one. The Ravens have made upgrades to The Bank that still keep it in the top five of the best stadiums in the league.

Plus with Camden Yards close by, we could hold Super Bowl related events(games, activities for kids, etc) at Camden Yards, or put that stuff inside the convention center. Baltimore would have a good shot at getting it but most likely would lose out since we aren't a big enough cold weather market like New York.

#8 ravensfan2424

ravensfan2424

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Capacity for Past Super bowl stadiums and B-more

Dallas- 80,000-100,000 with standing room Indy-70,000

New Orleans-76,000 NY- 83,000

Baltimore- 71,000

Excluding Indy, Baltimore is relatively small and is an outdoor stadium. While Indy holds less, it is a dome and weather is not a factor. Plus each of these cities are hugely populated and popular, while Baltimore is much smaller in size. I'd love a Baltimore SB but I'm also alright with other cities just hosting us every year ;P

1005856_10201063947747543_1065445185_n.j

#9 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Capacity for Past Super bowl stadiums and B-more

Dallas- 80,000-100,000 with standing room Indy-70,000

New Orleans-76,000 NY- 83,000

Baltimore- 71,000

Excluding Indy, Baltimore is relatively small and is an outdoor stadium. While Indy holds less, it is a dome and weather is not a factor. Plus each of these cities are hugely populated and popular, while Baltimore is much smaller in size. I'd love a Baltimore SB but I'm also alright with other cities just hosting us every year ;P

Indy is hardly a city, and a thousand people is still a thousand people.

#10 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Buffalo stadium is bigger than the bank.

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#11 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Buffalo stadium is bigger than the bank.

Big deal, the Bills will be playing in Toronto full time pretty soon.

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I think the biggest drawback for us hosting the Super Bowl are the following:

Traffic. We have terrible traffic. Very poor coordination as well. The grand prix was not well organized in terms of traffic and I doubt a Super Bowl would be even more organized.

Seating. While we have more seats than Indy, I think the fact that we don't have a dome and the next point will doom us.

Crime. Our reputation for crime is not very good. Not too far away from the stadium you have robberies, homicides, rapes, among other things. Sure, all cities have this but not necessarily so close. Also, other cities are major cities such as NY, New Orleans, etc.

I just don't see it happening. Not sure I want it to happen, either. It would be a mess for traffic.

#13 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

The one in NY next year should be telling, I remember they had the SB in the Pontiac Dome and almost need the National Guard to get the teams in, one of the Atlanta SB there was an ice storm.
68f2a8.jpg

#14 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

The traffic situation is probably the biggest. The Super Bowl pretty much consists of 66% fans from each team and 33% rich people, athletes, singers, etc. who go to the game every year. Traffic would be horrible and would be very expensive to fix.

We need a bigger stadium as well. We might be able to get it if we could fit 20,000 more people.

2yno6dx.png

#15 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,183 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

The traffic situation is probably the biggest. The Super Bowl pretty much consists of 66% fans from each team and 33% rich people, athletes, singers, etc. who go to the game every year. Traffic would be horrible and would be very expensive to fix.

We need a bigger stadium as well. We might be able to get it if we could fit 20,000 more people.

Traffic will be the BIGGEST problem. If the city of Baltimore could ever figure out a way to make traffic smoother down town around the stadium, then traffic wouldn't be an issue at all for the Ravens games or the Orioles games. They could expand the roads and add 2 more lanes to accommodate the traffic but that would be hard as anything because where do you expand the roads at.

#16 cursona pirate

cursona pirate

Pickle Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Big deal, the Bills will be playing in Toronto full time pretty soon.

Uhm no they won't. I live in Bills country. Bills fans are very dedicated to there team. Jim Kelly wouldent allow that to happen either.

12540_520124434672144_755007992_n.jpg

Pitta Hut is now open! WE ALWAYS DELIVER.

#17 ravensflow

ravensflow

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

49ers new stadium will hold under 70k and they are a favorite to get one of the next few Super Bowls after the stadium is built.

Sometimes there are ways to add seats similar to what they did in Dallas.

I think infastructure of hte surroudning area (hotels, roads, capability) is more important than a 10k seat difference.

If Ravens want to bid then I think they are taking bids for 2017 or something right now, correct?
Posted Image

#18 redlobster

redlobster

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

49ers new stadium will hold under 70k and they are a favorite to get one of the next few Super Bowls after the stadium is built.

Sometimes there are ways to add seats similar to what they did in Dallas.

I think infastructure of hte surroudning area (hotels, roads, capability) is more important than a 10k seat difference.

If Ravens want to bid then I think they are taking bids for 2017 or something right now, correct?

Niners new stadium will have the weather advantage and better traffic . I used to live near where they are building it in California .

#19 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

A Super Bowl in Baltimore or Washington would equate to no one moving on 95 or on the surrounding major roads. Traffic nightmare would be an understatement.

#20 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

I think the biggest drawback for us hosting the Super Bowl are the following:

Traffic. We have terrible traffic. Very poor coordination as well. The grand prix was not well organized in terms of traffic and I doubt a Super Bowl would be even more organized.

Seating. While we have more seats than Indy, I think the fact that we don't have a dome and the next point will doom us.

Crime. Our reputation for crime is not very good. Not too far away from the stadium you have robberies, homicides, rapes, among other things. Sure, all cities have this but not necessarily so close. Also, other cities are major cities such as NY, New Orleans, etc.

I just don't see it happening. Not sure I want it to happen, either. It would be a mess for traffic.

Can't say I agree, and I always agree with your posts!

Traffic isn't great, but it beats DC, Richmond, and Philly by a country mile.

There isn't a bad seat in our house period. They have these standing seats at the Eagles/Cowboys stadiums that are simply awful.

Our Crime rate has been out of the top 10 for years. We're simply coasting on "rep" as a crime city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users